Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BOOMERANG XL RADIO SET UP ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOOMERANG XL RADIO SET UP ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:22 AM
alcohol burner
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOOMERANG XL RADIO SET UP ?

I have purcahsed a new Boomerang XL and the JetCat 120........ My next questions is.... Does the 2.4g work well in it? Have multiplex evo 9 on xps 2.4 and a 9c futaba on xps 2.4......Another question is about what servos. I know a lot of guys recommend the jr8711's or 8611's, but are they actually needed.......I do not mind spending the money on them but however, if that kind of torque is never needed in extreme situations, i do not want to waste the money on them if a lesser will work. I kow they are top of the line, but it IS A WASTE of money if ther are needed. I could use the money saved elsewhere in the aircraft. Lot of people think you have to have the highest torque available on anything......I just dont see it. 35% and 40% aircrafts existed over ten years ago and were flown to the extreme on about half of the torque that is produced today!!!! But like i said, if they are needed, I will buy them. Money is not the issue. I just dont believe in putting enough torque availability on a control surface that i could use to jack up my car and change a flat tire!!! Last thing is what is the UAT ??? .......Remember, I am totally new to the jet world!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
G-ROOKIE
My Feedback: (51)

Default RE: BOOMERANG XL RADIO SET UP ?

I use Hitec (HS-5985, 5945, 5645) and Jr.'s (ST-126mg on Flaps) servos in my XL.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:48 AM
alcohol burner

Which surface are you using the servos.......have you had any problems at all as far as surfaces not responding adequately at higher speeds?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a Boomer XL and You ask an appropriate question. I think the resoning on the high torque servos is that you want to use the best and strongest servos you can to protect your investment - The 8611's will work fine - I think 8711's are overkill on this jet as these servos (i believe I am correct) were not even available when the jet first came out. 8711's use more power too. The 8711's are usually used for large scale, ie, 35-45lb jets on the elevators only.

The Boomer XL can run up to 8K or better. Spending an extra $40 per servo is well worth that extra piece of mind. Regarding the need for them, jets fly at extreme speeds and the loading is quite high on the flight surfaces. That boomer will probably weigh in around 35Lbs dry. Take that same jet wet, flying loops and the forces generated are very high. Do you really want to chance saving a little money on something that has been proven to work over thousands of flights?

Your 2.4 system will work fine on the boomer or any other jet. Most of us are all going to 2.4. I have used it on big F4 phantoms to smaller F-16s.

Regarding the UAT. A UAT is a universal air trap. Back in the early days of turbines people were having problems with bubbles in the fuel lines causing flamouts. I believe BVM came up with the idea of the UAT which strains the fuel through a wick like material that breaks up large bubbles. Since people have started useing this device the bubble issue has basically been resolved.

here is the link:
http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/uat1.htm
Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

On my Olympus, yes that's right OLYMPUS / AT 450 powered Boomer XL, I used the new Jr sport digitals on my ailerons, 4721s on my rudders, 2721s on my flaps, 8411s (i think) on my elevator. can't remember it's been over a year now and the jet belongs to another owner. never had a problem with her but I was conscious of the flight - structural limitations I self-imposed with the bigger motor.

there are plenty of options for reliable servos from high $$ to mid $

the same philosophy you used on your giant Carden aircraft will translate over to the jet world, (with few exceptions)

however, if you turn it into a smokin hole in the ground for an unknown, inexplicable reason are you going to be able to stand over the wreckage and wonder if saving 30 bucks was worth it

more often then not it's an under torque, overloaded servo which sucked the last bit of juice out of your batts causeing an undervoltage to your receiver leading to a lockout, servo hold or whatever.

have you been able to contact any of your local jet bubbas? a conversation over coffe does wonders to clear the fog sometimes

cheers
buck

Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

234 flights on my XL, no servo problems.

8411's on flaps, ail, rudders and elevator
4721 on steering
2 small Hi Tech's on brakes and retracts, don't remember which ones
Old 10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
alcohol burner

One of the major problems i am concerned with also, is that there a couple of threads on here stating their ecu has powered down from losing reciever voltage......Is it not possible to run seperate batteries (li-poly) on the servos, recievers, and the ecu?..... I use this on my carden edge. to keep each system isolated from each other to prevent the loss of voltage. Is the an actual problem with connections in the ecu or the engines themselves. I have gotten a couple personal messages from individuals that this is a probelm, but they havent stated it out in the open for everyone else to see here on rcu. They are ststing to me that i shuld reconsider before buying a JetCat.........Not sure why they would tell me this and not post it in the normal thread of mine.

Second problem is with the static electricity......Is this a serious problem or something that got blowed out of proportion? What is the preventative.......

I havent had a chance to talk with anyone about the turbines this week other than one guy who lives close to me but is working. I have been home stuck with wife for last couple of days cause she had surgery, so i have been on here doing a lot of research and making list of questions.....hopefully by the end of this weekend i wont have too many more dumb questions for you guys......just trying to prevent one of them horror stories for a first timer....
Old 10-31-2008, 03:17 PM
yeahbaby

Hey amigo

LOL there's no such thing as dumb question ....well maybe there is but ask away, you'll get an answer eventually. if not you'll likely solve the problem on your own by the time you get an answer anyway and will feel better about the whole deal.

best way to prevent a smokin hole in the ground is to seek the mentorship of one of the "local" jet guys. go find 'em and re-infect them with your enthusiasm.

static electricty can be combatted with anti-static fuel line (BVM) or anti-static fluid (BVM) minimizes use of multiple large kevlar tanks I guess. (btw, there's some info on the JetCat website about static electricity, atleast there was some time ago)

yes it's possible to separate power to rx, servos, ecu etc. there are a handful of products on the market that provide that capability. smartfly, powerbox, weatronics, I4C power supply thingy etc. etc.

or.....

you could stick with the basic rig.. 2 independent switches, 2 nicad, lipo, lipoly, nimh whatever your flavor batts been using it for years w/o a problem. ( live by the goochi toys die by the goochi toys, i.e. keep it simple) it's not that complicated

the ECU should have it's own power supply via the ECU regardless

got get 'em tiger
Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 PM
AndyAndrews

now that I think about it I have 8411's on mine too. The nose gear can use a smaller servo. One thing. You will definitely need digital servos with the 2.4. There are problems with analog servos and 2.4 with centering until the system locks in.

I personally wouldn't go below 8411's on the alerons or elevators on the XL.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:36 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When I set up my boomer I mixed up the flap servos with the aileron servos. I noticed the ailerons going soft at high speed. When I put a p 180 in it I almost lost it. I reversed the servos and put the 8411s on the ailerons and all is well. Good Luck Dan
Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 PM
bcovish

Hey guys,

Spent about an hour on the phone with Tim (AKA Alcohol burner) and answered a lot of his questions. Real nice fellow so lets help make his transition to jets a good move. I was assured that a lot more questions will be asked in the future. He has a lot of RC experience.

His boomer will be shipped Monday and a JC 120SE is on the way.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 PM
bcovish

One more thing we didn't talk about.

You will need a fuel system for fueling the plane.

One option, look at www.jerseymodeler.com for the 5 gal kero fuel can. I use this and works great. Dreamworks also sells them. There are other fuel cans out there but not sure who makes them. Or you can design your own.

You will also need turbine oil. Mix one quart to 5 gal of kero.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 AM
yeahbaby

way to go Bob-O

Old 11-01-2008, 09:15 AM
alcohol burner

Hey Buck, thanks for the input and help. Talked to Bob last night, told me a little about you and what you do....Very impressive....hope to meet u guys sometime. Told Bob I will definitely road trip it to Texas to fly with them.....We have done dumber stuff at the spur of a moment....lol
Old 11-01-2008, 10:03 AM
bcovish

Buck, I didn't tell Tim everything about you. I'll let him find out the rest by himself. But at this time, let's let Tim be impressed.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 AM
alcohol burner

LOL.....dont get me in the middle of something......lol.......
smoke system on the way......jetcat system from www.dreamworksrc.com
Old 11-01-2008, 11:59 AM
yeahbaby

now that's funny amigo!!!

ORIGINAL: bcovish

Buck, I didn't tell Tim everything about you. I'll let him find out the rest by himself. But at this time, let's let Tim be impressed.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:02 PM
yeahbaby

Your enthusiasm is contagious amigo. hope you don't get burned out, the hobby could use some new stories around the camp fire.

the boomer is a piece o' cake to put together and flies just as nice as a giant gasser but it's waaaayy cooler!!!

ORIGINAL: alcohol burner

LOL.....dont get me in the middle of something......lol.......
smoke system on the way......jetcat system from www.dreamworksrc.com
Old 11-01-2008, 12:38 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

On my Olympus, yes that's right OLYMPUS / AT 450 powered Boomer XL, I used the new Jr sport digitals on my ailerons, 4721s on my rudders, 2721s on my flaps, 8411s (i think) on my elevator. can't remember it's been over a year now and the jet belongs to another owner. never had a problem with her but I was conscious of the flight - structural limitations I self-imposed with the bigger motor.

there are plenty of options for reliable servos from high $$ to mid $

the same philosophy you used on your giant Carden aircraft will translate over to the jet world, (with few exceptions)

however, if you turn it into a smokin hole in the ground for an unknown, inexplicable reason are you going to be able to stand over the wreckage and wonder if saving 30 bucks was worth it

more often then not it's an under torque, overloaded servo which sucked the last bit of juice out of your batts causeing an undervoltage to your receiver leading to a lockout, servo hold or whatever.

have you been able to contact any of your local jet bubbas? a conversation over coffe does wonders to clear the fog sometimes

cheers
buck

OLY WITH THE "AIR START SCUBA TANK" PALEEEEEEEZEEEEEE!!!! STONE AGE BOY!!![X(][X(]
Old 11-01-2008, 02:13 PM
yeahbaby

You know you love it!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,

In case you have not seen this, here is a good thread by Spartan on the Boomerang XL. It just may have some helpful hints on layout, etc;.

http://www.rcjet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1111

Old 11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
alcohol burner

Countryboy........ Thanks so much for the link.....been reading it for a few minutes now....very informative....gonna keep reading....thanks again.....tim
Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
AndyAndrews

Olympus AT 450 on a boomer... lol your a NUT! funny thing is I would do it if I had it too! Ever let her rip full throttle on a straight and level pass with that thing? The Rhino will push 185-195 easily. Get up high point the nose down full throttle and gently level out and you can get to that magical 200 mph range...er cough or better. But I wouldn't know anything about that amigo.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 PM
yeahbaby

LOL

no way bro' the only time she ever got full throttle was on take off and after a slow flyby to a vertical climb out with smoke-on.

no speed demons for this slow poke
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Spartan Missile

Hello Boys.

Just wanted to let you know that I solo-ed the BoomerXL last Monday, that's nearly 3 years after collecting it from Alan's House.
I don't like to rush things.
It flew very nicely with a 10 year old AMT(NL) Pegasus, very rarely used full throttle. 28lbs @ 112.5k rpm
The crow braking allows for messed up/high landing approaches. Push the nose down and land it like a space shuttle. It won't pick up speed. Just level off and flare at the last minute.

If you are using trailing link struts with the big spring over the knee:
The spring will relax with use and it is possible for the tyre to wedge up against the trailing edge of the wheel well.
When I tried to install stronger springs, this also pushed the wheel back. Some dremelling might be required on the knee bit.
So when you install, start off with the tyre close to the leading edge of the wheel well, or do what Airbus do - put a slab of PTFE in there !

Very enjoyable, looking forward to taking the big bird out again, but her large size makes her susceptible to hangar rash.

I tried to keep the radio install simple
2 x Aileron, 2 x Elevator, 2 x Rudder: JR DS8411
2 x Flaps: Futaba S3305 analogue
Nose steering: Futaba S3305 analogue
Rx Battery: 2 x 5 cell 4400mAh NiMH (big packs for nose weight) with PowerBox Sensor dual regulator & switches
Flaps, Rudders & Elevators: Simple Y lead, servo reversing not required
I'm using 35MHz 10 ch PCM Rx, Above Y lead set up might not work well with 2.4GHz radio gear
ECU battery: 3S 2200mAh Lipo removable for charging
ESC for landing lights: 2 x 6V 20W halogen bulbs wired in series to keep current & heating down.
Made up my own heavy duty (20AWG alpha wire) servo extension leads to keep voltage drops to a minimum on the long servo leads.
Cut off servo plugs and soldered on extensions, keep number of connectors to a minimum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65873.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1063894