Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SAD NEWS FROM FL TODAY- CRAIG WILSON

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SAD NEWS FROM FL TODAY- CRAIG WILSON

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 AM
AnthonyW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAD NEWS FROM FL TODAY- CRAIG WILSON

[] I am very sadden to hear this morning that Craig Wilson passed away yesterday at his shop. Susan, a friend and owner of Cover Craft called me this morning and said she found him outside his shop about 1pm Sunday. Ironically, I received a call from him on Saturday giving me a report on the Lake Wales at the FIJR
I met Craig at my first Jet Event in Coral Springs FL in 1991. He was the inspiration for our "NASCAR" Themed jets. Attached are a few photos of many of the Aggressor II's and Vipers Craig built. Craig was a great modeler and friend and would do what ever you needed. He worked for Bob Violet for many years and traveled to Europe on many occasions flying everywhere.
Craig you will be missed!
"Bent, Broke or Destroyed, he would fix them all. Money is no object, it’s your hobby!"
Anthony Wiencek
"Craig Wilson Protégé'"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67996.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1064553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57960.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	1064554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70884.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	1064555  
Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: SAD NEWS FROM FL TODAY- CRAIG WILSON

Sorry for Craigs loss. Very great guy. Will be missed.

Hector
Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
KHORTON
My Feedback: (1)

Graig Wilson “BIG GUY†as his friends called him. Graig was a three tour Vietnam veteran and was of the most laid back live day to day guys you will ever meet. Someone who truly loved this hobby. I think Graig spend every waking hour flying, building or thinking about this hobby. I first met Graig though Anthony and we would occasional crash his pad while in Florida flying jets. Through the years we developed a great friendship though r/c jets. It was always fun to listen to Graig’s interesting stories of his travels and life’s adventures and then go out to the shop and see the newest project he was working on. Graig was a great inspiration and will be terribly missed. “Hacker Works†maybe done but not forgotten.

Name:	Om33915.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1064657  
Old 11-03-2008, 12:57 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

I am simply speechless as to the loss of Craig "The Hacker" Wilson.... I had just spoken with him on Friday.
I have known Craig since moving to FL in 94' and have spent countless hours in his shop and in his company. A fine craftsman and a great friend.
I am deeply saddened by his loss, God Speed Craig...
Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear the loss of Craig, i have never met the fellow or communicated with him but what i read here is amazing about him!, he must have been stand up type of a modeler and supporter. My condolences and heart goes out to his family and friends in this tragic time, May GOD bless his sole..AAMINN
Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Shui
My Feedback: (2)

Very sad news.

Craig was a great guy, always full of energy and would always ask how you're doing. I just saw him at the Monster Plane event and caught up with him their, he'd always say "Hey kid, what's new, what's hot". He always had great stories of trips he'd been on or planes that he'd built/fixed.

He will be missed.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
TAISUN

Geez:

I sat and spoke with Craig for about an hour on Saturday during the Lake Wales Jet Event. We talked about 'the Boyz', and of course the Aggressor. Craig was the actual builder of my Aggressor......... he could not believe I still had it in the closet.
We joked about it being a 'Hanger Queen', and I guess it is, well maybe one day it will fly.

After hearing about his untimely passing, I now believe I will get it ready and fly, fly, fly. Craig looked as healthy as could be...........sorry to hear about this...............he will be missed.

Regards,
Don Shulman
www.ShulmanAviation.com
1-407-359-1020
Check out my Grand Daughter :-)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/madisonshulman
Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 PM
derjager
My Feedback: (15)

Sorry to hear this sad news.

I had a long chat with Craig at the Monster event just two weeks ago.

My condolences to Susan and his family

Steve

Bob,s Hobby Center
Orlando
Florida
Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
jeteye

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Had a great time talking with Craig this past weekend at Lake Wales. He was as happy and cheerful as ever. I'm totally shocked, and he will surely be missed. A fantastic guy, and a very good friend. We go way back.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

May his SOUL REST IN PEACE and my condolences to his friends and family. Old Soldiers never dies…they just fade away and Craig’s memories would always remain with us.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
jvwetmore

I have known Craig since he lived with Dave Tyson in 1983. I met Susan about the same time she met Craig and we three have spent many hours together . Susan actually knew my Wife Sandra's side of the family before I did. I was suppose to have Lunch with Craig & Susan two weeks ago in Gainesville when he visited the VA but he left my ph # at home. He was a friend I will never forget... Craig built several models for me through the years and I was always proud to take them flying. He will really be missed.... James Wetmore AMA 2425
Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 AM
AnthonyW

Here is another photo I found of " the big guy" on the BVM website.
http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/old%20e...a-fan98idx.htm
Old 11-28-2008, 01:55 PM
AnthonyW

Susan sent me a copy of Craigs Obituary-Attached.

Craig M. Wilson
Craig M. Wilson, 59, a resident of DeLand since 1983, passed away on November 2, 2008. Craig was born in Champaign, IL and served our country in Vietnam from 1969 - 1971 as a SGT in the US Army. Craig received seven metals from his service, most notably, the Bronze Star, Air, Army Commendation, and Purple Heart. He worked for the Illinois Central railroad as an engineer and later retired to Florida. Craig a.k.a. "Big Guy" or "The Hacker" was a tremendous model aircraft enthusiast. Comments from his friends have been "he never met a stranger", a no fluff guy", "he always gave it to you straight whether you wanted to hear it or not" and "true Master Hacker". In addition to his model aircraft hobby, he also enjoyed playing racquetball, was an avid reader and loved listening to The Eagles music. Although he may have had a tough exterior, he had a big heart, was a loyal friend, and always lived his life the way he wanted to. He will truly be missed by those who knew him. Survivors include his companion of 18 years Susan Peters; brothers, Larry (Deb) Wilson of Douglasville, GA, Scott (Jane) Wilson of Champaign, IL, Nichi Wilson or Urbana, IL; uncles, John (Betty) Murrey, Champaign, IL, Paul Wilson, Champaign, IL, Tommy Wilson, Washington, DC; aunt, Charlet Baxter, Woodstock, IL; three nieces and one nephew. He was predeceased by his parents, Walter and Ruth Wilson and nephew, Michael Wilson. Services will be private. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to AMVETS, Post 13, 645 West New York Avenue, DeLand, FL 32720. Condolences may be shared with the family at www.lohmanfuneralhomes.com. Arrangements are under the careful direction of Lohman Funeral Home Daytona.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

By all standards I'm aware of, Craig was just a youngster at 59. Anybody who did 3 tours in 'Nam and over 20+ years later could still disarm anybody with a smile or or a great TINS story at the tip of their tongue is my kind of guy. I'm going to send a donation to his AMVET chapter. Any insight to COD, Anthony?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 AM
speed run
My Feedback: (9)

Craig will be greatly missed in the jet community. I can remember when four of us from Kentucky first met Craig in the mid to late 80's at Superman in Oct. Then in Jan. at Deland i tore out the gear on one of our race planes. I was so tore up this was the first time i went over 200 mph( 206mph ) and made a divet on landing and thought my week was finished. NO................. Craig came over and said great flight but you need to work on the landing. This is what i remember . Your Qualified ,Your Qualified You bring beer and we will go to my shop and have the jet fixed tonight. We did and i will always remember this not just being my first qualifying speed event and finishing third but a man who barely new me taking time to help a new kid with a passion for model jet flying.
Sorry for the Loss.
He inspired alot of people and played a big part in the early ducted fan days. HE WILL BE GREATLY MISSED, AND I WILL NEVER FORGET.

Mike Kirby
Kentucky Kid as Graig Wilson new
God Bless
Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
AnthonyW

ORIGINAL: MrMike

By all standards I'm aware of, Craig was just a youngster at 59. Anybody who did 3 tours in 'Nam and over 20+ years later could still disarm anybody with a smile or or a great TINS story at the tip of their tongue is my kind of guy. I'm going to send a donation to his AMVET chapter. Any insight to COD, Anthony?
MrMike- COD was a heart issue. Craig had been experiencing heart issues for about 5 years as a residual Vietnam War issue. Thanks for your words.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
AnthonyW

Update on Craig's Memorial.
See the attached link.
http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Craig_Wilson.htm
Hope to see all of Craig's friends and family.
Susan, I will see you next week.
Anthony
Old 02-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Roger Shipley
My Feedback: (35)

Most appropriate Anthony......thanks for sharing. Roger
Old 02-28-2009, 07:54 PM
mjl

Craig's last flight....

Here's a shot from today's celebration of Craig Wilson. His airplane was rigged up with a box containing his ashes, and while taps was being played, was flown over the field in front of family and friends, and released. There were very few dry eyes left after the flight, but everybody seemed to have a good time today, gathering together and remembering our close friend and all around great guy.

Craig, you will be dearly missed

Mike

Name:	Ec87987.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1147205  
Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
mjl

This one's too good to pass up.... Here's a close up of the flying urn.

Name:	Om32790.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1147212  
Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
AnthonyW

Mike, thankyou for the photos, those are great. I have about 100 to go though when I get home. I am in the hotel right now and lot looking forward to heading home. We are to get 2-4" of snow in NC tomorrow night.
Susan put on an unforgetable event and it was great to see everyone and Craig with his show center exit.
See ya kid!
Anthony
Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 PM
mjl

Hey Anthony,

Sorry I didn't get to meet you out there today. I had heard a lot about you over the years from Craig. And you're right, Susan deserves many thanks for putting together and hosting a great party and most importantly, Craigs last wishes. Are you going to make it down for Top Gun or any of the other local events?

Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's great! I'm sure he was smiling down on that!