Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets and Money

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets and Money

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
ScaleKing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jets and Money

Hello Guys

I have a question. If money is not an issue what is the best way to get into jets? I am not one for the look-a-like!! Like my name suggest, I like SCALE MODELS. I have flown and built a few models. A H9 Cessna 182, H9 P-51, H9 Sundowner, Aeroworks 100cc Yak, H9 Edge 540 and H9 Extra 330. I don't consider myself to be an expert pilot but I can hold my own. I have done a little aerobatic flying as you can see from the models I have had but I never got into it seriously. Is that something that I should perfect before I consider jets? Is that the natural progression or can I go from P-51 to F-14 Tomcat?

Please give me HONEST answers!!

SK
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Jets and Money

Call Timmy Thompson, he's got your answer. (Sorry Sk, little inside joke)

No seriously if you are a fluent flyer who can handle a little speed and weight, then getting into jets, even scale should not be too hard. In my experience ( which is not as much as some guys) it makes it easier when there are fellow pilots near you to help with things like installation, ground support, building techniques, etc. Planes like F-15, F16 are totally withing reach. HecK even the large Mibo is an easy plane to fly.
Some talk of getting a trainer first.
I think this is a good idea for one reason. It will get you used to the sights and sounds of the turbine motor. You'll get used to filling propane, starting the motor, cooling it down , all the things that go with normal turbine operation.
Then when you are used to this, you can dive into a scale bird and enjoy it with out being soo "new" to the whole turbine thing.

Billy
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if money is no object and you want scale and a good starting point and I will assume turbine and a arf. The best scale turbine jets out there seem to be the arf type F15s. Start there and the recommended turbine size and keep it simple. Don't worry about to much or to little detail. Find a group of guys where you live and get to know them.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

timmy passed away in his sleep a couple of months ago. he was surely an interesting guy on the boards. it was unexpected. barry
Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: u2fast

timmy passed away in his sleep a couple of months ago. he was surely an interesting guy on the boards. it was unexpected. barry
Really?! I remember him. I think his wife wasn't too well either, that sux.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 PM
ScaleKing

Thanks alot guys! This was helpful. However the island that I am on does not have any guys that fly jets. Most of them fly aerobatic models. I think that there might be a few guys on an island 90 miles away (25 mins by air) that fly. I will look into that and maybe go out to the field one day and see what its like.

Sorry to hear about Timmy
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

I have had quite a few scale airplanes and so far one of the nicest to fly is the MB339
I have a older version of the Skymaster MB339. There are several different one's out there now, the one that I have fly's great and is pretty easy to land.
I have also had several F-15's Skymaster, and Avonds both nice aircraft as well as the Yellow.
The MB lands more conventionally much like a big warbird.
The F-15 needs to have a moderate angle of attack on landing approach with power on.
Both are on the easy to land category of jets in my book.
I have had an F-14 DF and was helping my friend with his turbine one. They flew great but are pretty complicated to setup for the first turbine aircraft.
The trim aircraft F-86 is also a very nice flyer.
Most F-22’s that I have flown are pretty much like the F-15 only harder to see.
F-16’s fly nice but have a very narrow gear stance and can be tricky in crosswinds. Also it is critical that you attain the proper nose high attitude when landing, otherwise you have little drag and it will blast on by on final.
Just my opinions have fun and welcome to Jet psychosis.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
ScaleKing

Jet psychosis!! I like that. See this is why I told my wife I "rcuniverse" and she can "facebook"

Where else can you find answers to your questions so quickly and from all over the world
Old 11-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Sorry to hear about Timmy. That does suck.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

yea Billy he passed away in his sleep a few months back
Old 11-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Wayne22

Of the planes you listed, only the P-51 has retracts and flaps.... take it and add 3 or 4 pounds to get the wing loading up...... next raise the idle speed of your engine about 3000 RPM....... then, if you have a radio that can adjust servo speeds, slow your throttle servo down so that it takes about 4 seconds to go from idle (the new idle!) to full power...and the same going the other way.......and finally, take out the fuel tank and put a smaller one in that will only hold enough fuel for 7 minutes flying - no more.....

Now go fly it and see how you like it...ignoring the awful noise it makes, of course.......

Seriously you will need to alter your flying style.. you will need to get used to higher wing loadings than the lightly loaded Hanger9 birds, a higher residual thrust from the engine which make approaches and landings more challenging than what you are use to. A very slow throttle response relative to what you are used to....and a very limited fuel endurance!

It can be done, and it is a lot of fun!! But is different than flying sport or sport scale planes. There is a some new ground to cover, and some learnin' to be done.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 AM
JET FX

Yellow Aircraft F-15.... likely higher end price wise for an ARF yes. The Yellow F-15 would also be a good entry scale jet for a competent flyer wanting a no fuss install and pre built scale bird with all the scale bells and whistles in my opinion. Of course Iam biased as I now sell them myself but I honestly doubt you will come across too many negative opinions of this bird either.

Bottom line F-15's regardless of manufacturer in approx 1/9 scale are high on my recommended entry level scale jets. Others would be F-86, L-39, Mig-15, T-33, F9F to name a few.

Cheers- Marty
Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 AM
ScaleKing

Hey Wayne22

Hows the weather up there in AB? I used to live up that way a few years ago in Lacombe. Now I am back in the Bahamas. I don't really miss Lacombe.....but I do miss the winters. Having to wear touk and big jackets!! LOL
Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

My .02, Either You have Jets or Money. Few have both.[]
Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there a Yellow Aircraft F-15 ARF available somewhere? When I search for it, I always find a traditional kit with obechi covered wings...

Thanks

Arnaud
Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Amother question would also be, what is your flying field like? Grass, hardtop, length? These conditions can have an effect on what type of jet you can comfortably land. The big advantage of starting with a trainer is that many are designed to handle rough landings and rough runways without having to end your day prematurely by making repairs.

Marty
Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 PM
ScaleKing

My runway is about 650 feet long and is semi paved, no grass. Should I just take a couple of months and just fly the FS One sim with the jet? Once perfected would I then be more in the position to invest?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 AM
jetmike

Hello Scale King. Wow, interesting topic. Just found it.

Jets are the pinnacle of the sport. Well, so is IMAC. I know some good IMAC flyers down there by Ocala. How long have you been competing? And what class are you flying in?

I had a P51 also. Not Hangar9. It was a bit heavy and good starter for the jets. The Sun Downer should also be a good primer. How long have you been flying these planes? They would be closer to jets than an IMAC aerobatic plane.

I am starting with a trainer jet first. Nothing scale.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Round my way there are plenty of scale jets and plenty of sport jets, but it's the sport jets that do all the flying.
The scale jets don't fly because it is too calm or too windy or too cold, or they are waiting for spare parts to fix the retracts or complete the scale cockpit.

The sport jets fly 5, 6 even 8 flights a day off grass or tarmac or whatever available. They have lower wing loadings, fixed gear or sturdy well spaced retracts than the F-15 or F-16 or F-18 swept fighters.

OK, I appreciate that won't do for ScaleKing, so how about a compromise of a scale trainer, with a straight wing and widely spaced main gear, and keep it simple?
Something like an MB339 or Jet Provost, or Canadian CT114 Tutor or even L39 would be my suggestion.
I'm onto my fourth jet, still a sport jet and my first with retacts, but those above are on the shortlist for my first scale jet.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I would stick with more of a trainer model for the first jet. Skip the scale for now, or that is what I would recommend.

First reason, it will give you a chance to learn the basic turbine start procedures in a model. Second reason is, you said money is no object, so why not have a sport/trainer model on the side? Third reason - it will save you frustration on your first jet model, from having to fiddle around with landing gear doors. Fourth reason - if you happen to have a hot start, (which I think has become less frequent now with the improved turbine start methods from the latest ECUs), you can get the model back in the air quicker with replacement parts, instead of figuring out how to replace an aft fuselage.

My 2 pesos. [8D]
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 AM
ScaleKing

Man with all these .02 cents and .02 pesos I am getting I should soon have a buck!! LOL

Thanks for thes advice guys.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

I totally agree with Ron S.

Start simple and get used to the difference, because there is a big difference.
I flew ducted fan jets for almost 10 years then got my first turbine.
I totally cartwheeled that plane on my first landing. Later I repaired it and a few months later sent it into a spin turning onto final.

It's like starting all over again learning to fly.

Get a lot of landings under your belt then move up.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM
ScaleKing

okay
Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 PM
powerjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scaleking, your runway is about 650 feet long and is semi paved, no grass ?

what does this mean, semi paved, no grass.....
cuz if its pebbles, rocks, sand or so its noy advisable to use for jets
Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
ScaleKing

yeah my runway is not paved or grass. there are peddles and sand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.