Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Der Jet Model new product F-9f8 cougar and video

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Der Jet Model new product F-9f8 cougar and video

Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Der Jet Model new product F-9f8 cougar and video

I guess this project has been dropped.
Steve
Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe Eric Clapp said he'd have two of them at Liberty Bell this weekend. See that thread...

Dave
Old 07-30-2009, 06:10 PM
JET FX

Hi Steve, If you have questions about the DJM Cougar please feel free to ask or email me anytime. Its a great model no doubt and one of the very finest ARF jets currently being manufactured "anywhere" and has been quite extensively test flown now by the factory also so I would not hesitate in recommending this model at all to anyone. I have a couple of F9F-8's here and can take further detail photos and answer any related questions or general DJM related inquiry's...

Cheers- Marty
Old 07-30-2009, 07:39 PM
meps

Thanks guys. I'll be emailing you very soon.
Steve
Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: meps

I guess this project has been dropped.
Steve
It has not been dropped. We have four test flights on one of the prototypes here in the States. Flight characteristics so far are very good and we have learned enough to finalize the instruction manual. There have been some opportunities for improvements reported back to the Der Jet folks and my understanding is that they already have or soon will incorporate these changes into the model. We are also experimenting with mechanisms to make the canopy operational.

Marty's rather enthsiastic comments notwithstanding, the plane is still very early in its lifecycle but shows real promise. I am particularly pleased with the flight characteristics so far, which would be the most difficult things to fix if they were not right.

There is a short video we did for the Der Jets folks of the flap deployment test flight showing takeoff, a few laps with flaps out and then a landing. Not horribly interesting, but it will give you a sense of the aircraft. We will post additional video footage, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, as we really start to wring the airplane out. I have been cautious so far with the test flight program as I didn't want to risk losing the aircraft as we tuned the CG, throws, rates and played with the flaps, but things will pick up pace now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml4rNfIbIT8

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
BluFox

Hello Steve:

Project Dropped ? ? ? Not sure what you are referring to. Keith has diligently progressed and updated the manual with new information. This is available upon request. Flying this great jet continues just about every weekend.

Sales of the DerJet F9/8F Cougar are handled exclusively by Jet Central USA headquarted in Florida. We took two to Jets over Kentucky and sold the first one before the meet actually started and the second the fourth day of the meet. Residual sales from Jets over Kentucky have been excellent.

I am attending Liberty Bell Jet Rally. Had two Cougars delivered directly to the airport. You guessed it, both sold and this is only Thursday. It is interesting to note, most of the recommendations Keith suggested have been incorporated into both production models received here. Additionally, two others were sold as well.

Any questions will be answered within 24 hours of posting on this forum, or within two hours of emailing me at [email protected]

Delivery typically is 7 to 10 days in the USA and about the same in Europe as well.

I look forward to receiving your questions.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Distributor
DerJet
Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 PM
jentres
My Feedback: (4)

I am glad my buddy Steve got this thread rolling again. I too was wondering what happened. Just learned that Feibao makes these. Dont know what to think, it is my favorite jet though. I will be following this thread for results though, maybe Steve wont have to beg for an update anymore. I bet somebody is laughing their a** off somewhere saying "Feibao makes every jet out there you idiot".

Tres
Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 PM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: jentres

I am glad my buddy Steve got this thread rolling again. I too was wondering what happened. Just learned that Feibao makes these. Dont know what to think, it is my favorite jet though. I will be following this thread for results though, maybe Steve wont have to beg for an update anymore. I bet somebody is laughing their a** off somewhere saying ''Feibao makes every jet out there you idiot''.

Tres

Iam not really into the smoke and mirrors show myself.... so dont let the na sayers try and fool you.
In its current form and especially when compared to all the other ARF jets that I have seen over the last 10 years the DJM F9F-8 is an "extremely" well built and finished jet model right from the ground up! In my opinion every brand of model jet or otherwise that has ever been produced regardless of manufacturer will likely benefit from a few personal "tweaks" here and there. In the case of this particular model however it would simply come down to your preferred choice of some accessories such as electronic gear/door valves over the stock mechanical for example. All the standard DJM F9F-8 ARF hardware is generally very good and ready to go straight out of the box also. Being that the DJM Cougar is what it is and providing you have built a jet or two before there are zero surprises, at least of the negative anyway in my opinion. DJM dealers such as myself and Eric will always be able to assist customers with any build related questions that maybe further required as would be expected. I will gladly take photos of the new DJM Cougars and accessories I have here in stock if you would like a closer look. And if you have any questions please feel free to shoot me an email or PM and I will gladly fill you in.

Cheers- Marty
Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 AM
jentres

There is no doubt that Steve and I will be getting one of these. Absolutely the best Cougar I have seen, maybe I will actually fly this one, Steve will definitely fly his. I have a TF 8000 145MM EDF set-up for it. Will it fly on 25 pounds of thrust? A lot less efflux than a turbine though. Those intakes look tiny for EDF though.

Tres
Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 AM
JET FX

Depends on the AUW with your EDF setup and if you want to carrying all the scale external strores, full cockpit and have the dive brakes, body flaps etc rigged or not?
And then theres the surface you are flying from of course. Based on a turbines 25 lb of thrust output this should be just fine. Case in point and to use for comparison purposes would be my larger Fiber Classics MIG-15 with its AUW of over 30 lb wet which will still fly very well with a small Wren SS of just 18 lb thrust. Mind you I have only flown this model from larger sealed strips.... The ideal sized "turbine" that I would recommend for the DJM Cougar especially if fully loaded would be in the 30 lb thrust class this allowing for a little power reserve with all the bells and whistles. Keep it clean without stores and it would seem logical a 25 lb thrust EDF will fly her very well...
Old 07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
BluFox

Jentres:
Steve:

Just to clear a point. . .yes, FeiBao does the primary layup however, this is under the firm instructions of Leo Lin who owns DJ. After initial layup, DJ picks up the product, and completes the build from this point. There is most definately a difference in construction quality. Not that FeiBao is bad (I have owned/flown), but there is a noted difference in the plywood used, most of the hardware etc. Retracts, wheels, struts etc. all DJ product. Having only attended two shows with product, the response has been nothing short of very, very good. I am taking all the product they will give me.
Again, Keith Sievers (Sievers Air) takes his jet modeling very serious. They (DJ) hae responded very positive with every suggestion he has recommended. I can see it in the two kits just received.

Marty: Thanks for chiming in. Your thoughts and comments will help and support our mutual goals with DJ.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Distributor
DerJet USA
Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM
meps

I really appreciate the update as I'm following the progress of this airplane very close. Just as Tres said, we'll each be getting one after all the testing and reports are done. I assumed that this project had been dropped due to lack of post concerning the airplane after it was posted that more videos and such would be posted very soon. It is one of my favorite models. I've owned three smaller cougars that were ducted fan models in the past and truly loved them. If at vall possible, I would like to see pictures of kit components. How robust are the gear? Once again, Thanks for the update.
Steve
Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Here is a short video of the DERJET F9F in the JET CENTRAL tent at the 2009 LIBERTY BELL JET RALLY...very nice arf kit!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDS82XfLdWs

This one should be flying at the HAMBURG JET RALLY in October!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:28 AM
meps

Thanks for the video.
Steve
Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 AM
geh3

YUP... extremely nice paint job on this model!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
SGT.SHAGGY

ORIGINAL: meps

I really appreciate the update as I'm following the progress of this airplane very close. Just as Tres said, we'll each be getting one after all the testing and reports are done. I assumed that this project had been dropped due to lack of post concerning the airplane after it was posted that more videos and such would be posted very soon. It is one of my favorite models. I've owned three smaller cougars that were ducted fan models in the past and truly loved them. If at vall possible, I would like to see pictures of kit components. How robust are the gear? Once again, Thanks for the update.
Steve
As soon as the next kit gets to FL I will take pictures of the components included, and post them on the web site. www.jetcentralusa.com . I also am working on publishing the manual to the same site.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM
JET FX

Heres some gear shots...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47891.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1247364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15570.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1247365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85493.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1247366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96005.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1247367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99416.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1247368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd84034.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1247369  
Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM
geh3

Looks like they would be robust enough for grass firlds?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:30 AM
JET FX

Ive seen some pretty rough grass flying fields The DJM Cougar gear in theory will be just fine flying off grass I reckon, they are certainly up to the task from and engineering point of view in my opinion. I would still likely be more concerned with the scale strut doors, possibly even the inner fuselage scale flaps also and the dive brakes when they are extended possibly catching a tuft of grass?? Of course it does depend on the grass field in question? and in a pefect world if your landings are all greasers (non carrier like) and on an ideal "polo field" smooth, close cropped, well maintained and lengthy grass strip surface you should be just fine....

Speaking of "carrier like" landings... This is the air operated tail hook for the DJM Cougar....[sm=thumbup.gif]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13625.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1247645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41844.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1247646  
Old 08-01-2009, 03:09 AM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: BluFox

Sales of the DerJet F9/8F Cougar are handled exclusively by Jet Central USA headquarted in Florida. We took two to Jets over Kentucky and sold the first one before the meet actually started and the second the fourth day of the meet. Residual sales from Jets over Kentucky have been excellent.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Distributor
DerJet

Sorry Eric I was re-reading this thread from the start again and thought I should probably clarify this earlier statement of yours in regard to DJM general product sales being "Handled exclusively by Jet Central USA" Just in case people around the world reading this do get the wrong idea? and that DJM only has the one distributor for its global sales.... The DJM F9F-8 and all of their other products are also available of course directly from DJM and of course from JET FX ~ JETS & WARBIRDS.

Cheers- Marty
Old 08-01-2009, 05:43 AM
BluFox

Marty:

Perhaps this will help as well. . .Jet Central USA is the exclusive distrubutor for any and all sales of DJM for which business is transacted in the USA. No intent was made to suggest world distribution.
DJM's web site clearly shows your company handling Australia, FBSpain handling Spain and Jet Central USA handling the USA. Each of the current distributors with assigned exclusive territories may of course sell in countries not currently represented. The obvious however, is they inturn may not sell and ship to countries which are. . . .

Thanks for posting the pictures. We are attending our third jet meet in three weeks. The days run long with rest being a respected commodity.

Best regards,
Eric
Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: jentres

There is no doubt that Steve and I will be getting one of these. Absolutely the best Cougar I have seen, maybe I will actually fly this one, Steve will definitely fly his. I have a TF 8000 145MM EDF set-up for it. Will it fly on 25 pounds of thrust? A lot less efflux than a turbine though. Those intakes look tiny for EDF though.

Tres
Based on FSA (Fan Swept Area), the TF8000 may not be a good choice for this airframe. I have the 1/6th scale plans for the Dan Palmer F9F Cougar which is the same size as the DJM Cougar. If the DJM Cougar has the scale size inlets like the Palmer Cougar does, the total inlet area is 84 cm^2. The FSA of the TF8000 is 130 cm^2. The math works out to the inlet area being about 65% of the TF8000's FSA which will starve the fan. You could create a cheater inlet using the airbrake holes like the JHH Cougar but that still may not allow the fan to get enough air.

Kirk
Old 08-01-2009, 08:05 AM
jentres

Thats what I figured after looking closer at the plane, I suspected the FSA would be inadequate for the TF 8000. I will take a closer look when I get the plane, may be a way to sneak some air in without ruining the look of the plane. Look forward to meeting you at E-Jets Kirk.

Tres
Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 AM
meps

The landing gear looks to be very strong. I'll be flying mine from a grass field. Our field is cut short. I've flown my Stingray from our field with no problems and it has 2" wheels. How well do the inflatible tires hold air? I have a jet with inflatible tires that when dipped in water, I see no air bubbles but I have to keep filling them with air . Thanks for the pictures.
Steve
Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 PM
RC Larry-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Steve,
I can Guar Rown Teeeeeee this project is on the roll. Robert, Joe R. and myself just got back from the Liberty Bell Jet Meet ( where the heck were YOU?) and I had the chance to crawl all over this model while there. In fact, Robert and Joe swear there was a path worn in the grass from our tent to Erics from my constant walking over there!!!!
Anyway, this is one really sharp model, and the craftmanship is awesome! I took several pics of the components and the airframe, but I think George has already posted similar pics of it from this meet already. ( Liberty Bell Jet Meet)
The landing gear looks really good, and I was amazed at all the extra's included with it. They even have the tail hook already installed!!! Eric says my Rhino would be right at home in this beast! The nose section is great also. No screws to remove when you need to get at the internals. Just give the nose section a twist to the left and it comes off with ease. The cockpit provided looks really nice, and the canopy already has slides installed. All the servo mounts were in, and the outer finish looks very scale. This plane should go together really quick because they have already done a TON of the work for you.
But wait a minute,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was hoping to be the only one in our area with one of these super cool Cougars!!!!! When I came home Sunday night and told my my wife I was in love with a Cougar,,, she started throwing my clothes out the door! Guess I should have told Jacqui it was a plane first!!!!!! LOL
So what scheme are you looking at? I mean,,,, we dont want to fly these like we do with the Park Zone T-28s!!!! I'm thinking Navy Trainer scheme myself. From the video Ive been looking at, I think this bird will get in and out of RDRC's paved runway. If not,I'll grass it.

Larry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.