Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft - Starfire or Stingray?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft - Starfire or Stingray?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft - Starfire or Stingray?

ORIGINAL: invertmast

ORIGINAL: tamjets

I like the Tamfire name. I priced it all up w/ a Tam EDF plug n play fan and 10S setup w/ the conversion kit, kit and gear, and i think the price was about $2100 w/ 2 10S 3700mah batts. Not a bad price at all! And the fact i've been looking for another full build project, makes it almost perfect timing

I can't wait to hear the flight report, and hopefully see a video.
Thomas,
You must be way ahead of me. I haven't even break down the price cost yet.
Now you mention it.
It pretty good dawn price package. Time is everyone had right now. Spend time to built your own kit and paint what ever you want.
So there is no exactly StarFire look when bring to the jets meet.

Tam,
the more i look at it and see how you are doing yours, its exactly the way i was thinking of doing the one i am very highly thinking of building right now. Now if i can clean my work bench of these other jets so i can get some funds to do a tamfire

Start clear out the table. I also do some more photos tonight how to glue on the intake cowling.
Ali is already in line to bought it off from my hand. Ca-Jets will be flying with P-60 power plant. I'll give Ali a good deal with alot of money.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

I'm going to buy and build my first large EDF jet... trying to decide between the Starfire and teh Stingray.
Any commments/assistance?
Go with the Starfire man, it looks like a real jet and it flys great!

BTW, what's the relationship between Yellow and Tamjets? Just wondering since the Starfire is a Yellow product and Tam is obviously involved in this new (and nice looking) mod.

Craig
Old 01-27-2009, 05:39 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I like the Tamfire name. I priced it all up w/ a Tam EDF plug n play fan and 10S setup w/ the conversion kit, kit and gear, and i think the price was about $2100 w/ 2 10S 3700mah batts. Not a bad price at all! And the fact i've been looking for another full build project, makes it almost perfect timing

I can't wait to hear the flight report, and hopefully see a video.
Thomas,
You must be way ahead of me. I haven't even break down the price cost yet.
Now you mention it.
It pretty good dawn price package. Time is everyone had right now. Spend time to built your own kit and paint what ever you want.
So there is no exactly StarFire look when bring to the jets meet.

Tam,
the more i look at it and see how you are doing yours, its exactly the way i was thinking of doing the one i am very highly thinking of building right now. Now if i can clean my work bench of these other jets so i can get some funds to do a tamfire

Start clear out the table. I also do some more photos tonight how to glue on the intake cowling.
Ali is already in line to bought it off from my hand. Ca-Jets will be flying with P-60 power plant. I'll give Ali a good deal with alot of money.

I wish it was that easy! one of the builds is for a friend i owe a favor for. And the Other is for the LHS owner who is just getting into turbines and i'm finishing up a kangaroo for him w/ an AMT180.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 PM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: CraigG

I'm going to buy and build my first large EDF jet... trying to decide between the Starfire and teh Stingray.

BTW, what's the relationship between Yellow and Tamjets? Just wondering since the Starfire is a Yellow product and Tam is obviously involved in this new (and nice looking) mod.

Craig

Craig,
This project is been in going behide the scence direct with Yellow Aircraft co. Charles the owner of Y/A ship me this kit to work on my own ducting last year.
The relationship very clear. Y/A StarFire kit with Tamjets mod upgrade.
So StarFire is still a StarFire.
Since we provide the mod and service. We start drop ship StarFire kit from Y/A warehouse ot made it easy for customers don't had to deal with 2 transaction.
Hope that explain the relationship better.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craig

Craig,
This project is been in going behide the scence direct with Yellow Aircraft co. Charles the owner of Y/A ship me this kit to work on my own ducting last year.
The relationship very clear. Y/A StarFire kit with Tamjets mod upgrade.
So StarFire is still a StarFire.
Since we provide the mod and service. We start drop ship StarFire kit from Y/A warehouse ot made it easy for customers don't had to deal with 2 transaction.
Hope that explain the relationship better.

Not exactly.

Tam is one of many dealers for Yellow Aircraft products. Tam's aftermarket items are not being developed in cooperation with Yellow Aircraft. Tam buys a Yellow kit at dealer cost and does with it what he likes. If he's able to sell some add-ons with it, then more power to him. If it gets people interested (or re-interested) in Yellow products.....even better.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Tam is one of many dealers for Yellow Aircraft products. Tam's aftermarket items are not being developed in cooperation with Yellow Aircraft. Tam buys a Yellow kit at dealer cost and does with it what he likes. If he's able to sell some add-ons with it, then more power to him. If it gets people interested (or re-interested) in Yellow products.....even better.
I know some manufacturers don't like people "bashing" their kits but this sounds like a win-win for everybody. Thanks for the explanation and good luck to both of you.

Craig
Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
reyn3545

Well.. this thread has certainly grown beyond what I was initially asking... but it's all good info... thanks for everyone's input!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tam!
I shouldn't have seen those prolinks.. will they work on my spark?
I should just stay with the light stuff...but they look cool

Ron
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

I know some manufacturers don't like people "bashing" their kits but this sounds like a win-win for everybody. Thanks for the explanation and good luck to both of you.

Craig
Totally agreed. I really like the looks of that intake, too. Thing is, I might need those huge inlets to feed my DynEmax I'm putting in my Starfire!
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 AM
Ron101

Shawn my friend
I'd hold off on the dynemax until we see more info and it holding up
it shows a lot of promise.. but I"d give that one some time.. at 120 amps packs will not last long and flight times will be painful..remember the E-Turbax on 10s (110 amps) solder joints don't hold well at the crazy power level
the smaller scorpion 630kv? looks like there best set up so far (93 amps for 4200 watts without ducting, with ducting the amps went up to 98 amps or so).. but there's only a few flights that have been made and it's a heavy fan
no one knows how long it's going to hold up. I'm no expert but live and breath this stuff

There is a New DS-94 HST that is soon to hit the market.. DS knows how to build a true electric fan
it is being sized to be a drop in fit for the dynamax that might work out better for you
check it out: http://www.schuebeler-jets.com/image...hsttestbed.jpg
My DS-94 HDT (older style) fan puts out 3700 watts at 89 amps and weights I bit over a pound and a half

for now you can't beat the stuff that has been proven: schuebeler: http://www.schuebeler-jets.de/
Tam TJ 100
Stu Max
Turbo Fan
Vio Fan
E-turbax

Most of the purpose made EDF fans can make the same or more power than the dynemax at much lower amps and weight
maybe it will pan out to be a great fan.. but I'll save my cash on that one
JMHO
Ron

Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Shaun Evans

Ron,

Thanks, bro. I hear you. I didn't expect you wouldn't 'save your cash.' I've been keeping up with the goings on with these things, and I see it a bit differently. The amps you're quoting are with one particular setup, and the fan isn't heavy at all if you're talking about converting a plane that already had a Dynamax in it. The motor and ESC weigh less than an O.S. .91 and pipe. If I'm not interested in buying a bunch of aftermarket ducting, it narrows the field of choices for me. There is a lot of theory floating about, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I've read and seen for myself. As for fans "holding up", I've had a lot of experience with the Dynamax. If the concern is batteries holding up, I'll go with the info from the guys using them. No reason not to, right? The DynEmax and Turbax fans are a drop-in for the Yellow gear, and despite all the marketing-based implications to the contrary, the stock ducting works fine with 120mm fans. I've read a lot of gobbledeegook stating otherwise, but field tests I've seen pretty much shut all that up.

As for the melted solder, that had to do with using improper solder and I'm pretty sure I clarified that a while back. Lots of E-Turbax setups soldered by people who know what kind of solder to use seem to be handling 110 amps and better...

BTW, I'm totally uninterested in starting a big "This Fan vs. That Fan" peeing contest, just clarifying a thing or two.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Ron101

Shawn,
You know me I'm not trying at all to start a fan war... I'm sick of all that really...so this is my last post on the matter
But I have found out for myself that EDF is unlike any other type plane I've flown
With a gas war bird, 3D or even a turbine jet... for the most part you can throw as much power as you want at it and it will fly great

The problem with EDF is the batteries... the biggest pack your going to get in a yellow jet and still be practical is a 12s 5000mah pack
At anything over 90 amps you’re going to get about a 3:30 minute flight time

So what I've found, to make the most of the EDF system you NEED a full package... optimized ducting, very light fan, plane built light, and your better off in most cases with an 11s lighter setup.. Even better yet is a purpose built EDF plane (Spark, Electra, TJ f-16) this will get you a longer flight time 5:00 to 7:00… less heat and easier to fly

I threw tons of power at my cermark F-16, but had no ducting... and it flew fine. Just like any yellow jet will fly fine on the stock ducting with the dynemax.
But at those amp levels I'll guarantee no one gets over 3:30 flights and the packs are smoking hot... think of the few videos you have seen of the dynemax... not one of them are over 3:00 long

The Fan will hold up... it's the new out runners I'd wait and see on
I've seen a scorpion outrunner burn up in a Heli at my field and crash...the same motor that is in one of the dynaemax setups
On the dynemax:
The nue motor 1527 is pulling from 120 to 170 amps!!
The scorpion 800 kv was also around 120
The scorpion 630 kv is around 93 unducted and 98 ducted
you need 6000 mah packs with all these setup for a descent flight time... so the setup just gets heavier and heavier, cost more , takes longer to charge, is hard on the packs and ESC...and still needs to be proven

Build it light, put a light fan in it, lighter packs.= less amps, less heat, longer flights, less money, faster charge time, light planes fly better... it's that simple

Sorry to get off topic... but this all does relate to building this starfire EDF
I was unhappy with the very short flights with my F-16 and just want to get the word out
So guys know what there in for

Ron

Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Well, those numbers aren't what I'm hearing, but even if so.....everything was "unproven" at one time or another. I don't know how anyone can call the DynEmax 'unproven' though. The only thing you can call it is "yet unpopular" as it is barely coming to market. I've seen all the proof I need to see in performances on video. The guy flying it says one thing, people not flying it say another....

I can understand why certain people wouldn't want you to buy a less expensive fan (and skip needing all the add-ons), but I don't know why we're comfortable insinuating that a guy who says he gets a certain flight time with batteries at a certain temp is lying about it. I'm not saying you're saying that, but you know what I'm talking about. At any rate, you seem very happy with what you're flying, so it's all good.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:18 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Tam's Starfire mod looks like it will even improve a turbine powered Starfire. I have an unpainted, almost finished Starfire that's already set up for a turbine.

Has anyone already used his EDF mod on a turbine Starfire?

I'm probably going to order his mod tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:10 PM
rjbob

I just ordered the EDF kit from Tam.

My Starfire is actually finished and set up for a turbine. It's going to remain turbine but with the extended intakes ala Tam's EDF mod.

When I start the project I'll post pix of the process.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Shaun Evans

Bob,

That intake mod will most likely add some top end with the reduction of the huge inlet. That'll be cool to see because that sucker is fast as-is! I'm interested to see how the trailing link will effect takeoffs, though. Sometimes, moving the wheel more aft of cg makes rotation less smooth when it wasn't taken into account from the beginning. The Starfire's gear mounts are fixed and relatively far aft of cg as-is.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
tamjets

Bob,
I'll get more details photos done over the weeken.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Ron101

The more I look at the pics of the intake mod
the more I feel the need to build one of these

can't wait to see this one done.... the starfire will make for a nice budget sport jet

Ron
Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 PM
rjbob

Bob,
The intake mod kit arrived today and looks great.

I just finished some work on my F-16 so it's off the bench and the Starfire is now the centerpiece.

Since the jet is really close to being finished, I'll have to do some cutting in order to get the already-installed ducting out. I still plan to install my new kit-built Wren 54 in the plane.

Tam, although the intake mod installation looks very straight forward, any photos you can post are always appreciated.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 PM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: rjbob

Bob,
The intake mod kit arrived today and looks great.

I just finished some work on my F-16 so it's off the bench and the Starfire is now the centerpiece.

Since the jet is really close to being finished, I'll have to do some cutting in order to get the already-installed ducting out. I still plan to install my new kit-built Wren 54 in the plane.

Tam, although the intake mod installation looks very straight forward, any photos you can post are always appreciated.

Bob,
I just got back. I do had a lot photos. I need to edited. Give me few days to put it up.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Meekskin

Hey Guys,

Looking for a starfire II with or without the turbine mods. Anybody have one they want to sell, please let me know. Thanks, Ken