Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:52 PM
jamiechip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

im with you on this one bashing is just getting so old there is nothing productive about it so why bother the best person to speek to is on this forum knobby1 (brett) he is the best person to speek to and as i have found out quite wiling to help out show you what you need to know and id now be happy to buy one of these engines
Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dw_crash

Gents,

So, I'd like to hear more on the tweaks needed to make a nano-joe run. I heard about the bearing preload....what else?

DW_Crash ( an accidental JJ1400 owner that has an engine that works great )
I think once we have engines that run for more than 15 mins/2.5 runs we will know if there are any further problems. Mine is still with JJ at the moment with no signs of it leaving the factory with a sorted preload yet..

Jason
Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jason

Gents,

So, I'd like to hear more on the tweaks needed to make a nano-joe run. I heard about the bearing preload....what else?

I think once we have engines that run for more than 15 mins/2.5 runs we will know if there are any further problems. Mine is still with JJ at the moment with no signs of it leaving the factory with a sorted preload yet..

Jason
Can you tell me if the 6 month warranty clock stops ticking when a turbine is returned for warranty repair? My guess is you are at least 1 month into the 6 month warranty period? Total time before failure? How many minutes on it?

Dave
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 PM
jamiechip

wheni saw it over 500 mins now probably more any help (brett) what you up to now
Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 AM
knobby1

ORIGINAL: jamiechip

wheni saw it over 500 mins now probably more any help (brett) what you up to now
Hi All,
Jamie is correct, the JJ-Junior he saw running does indeed have 521 mins run time and 127 cycles. It has had the preload system rectified and the combustion chamber has been "modified" somewhat to my own specifications. Max rpm EGT is in the mid-high 600's so I can't complain at all. I don't fly model aircraft so I can't comment on the flight performance of the engine.

Let me also state that the JJ-Junior is nowhere near the beautiful quality of the Lambert Kolibri, yes it runs and yes it has lasted well so far, I will report back when it has a decent amount of hours on it. I'd suggest the service interval will be around the 15-20 hour mark.

The acceleration rate is actually quite surprising with recorded times averaging ~ 3.2 sec's from a 100k idle to the 240k rpm maximum. Thrust measured is a tad shy of 3.7lbs, not the 4lbs stated on the Jet-Joe website...still, not bad for a 220 gram engine and what it actually is, a cheap Chinese engine.

Cheers,
Smithy.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:41 AM
jason

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Gents,

Jason
Can you tell me if the 6 month warranty clock stops ticking when a turbine is returned for warranty repair? My guess is you are at least 1 month into the 6 month warranty period? Total time before failure? How many minutes on it?

Dave

It's difficult to know the exact run time on that ECU because the clock starts ticking when you start it and stays ticking until the RX power is switched off. Mine ran for less than 15 mins although the timer says twice that. So run times on this type of ECU don't mean a whole lot.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:42 AM
p.mcg

hi Jamie, I have also looked at the Eflite Hawk for my lambert, I am sure it would work. So far I have installed the lambert in a HET phantom, and a HET F15, both had retracts and flew very well, the phantom was a pocket rocket and the F15 was surprisingly docile.The asymetric thrust in the F4 caused it to crash, but not before some rewarding air time. It would be nice to install the turbine with out a thrust tube,as far rearward as possible, but with such light weight electronics,bat and pump, it would be near impossible to balance.I have ordered a JJ junior and a vortex32 for my next project,because the Lambert has found a new home in my stryker,which is one fun plane!.It must the most relaxing turbine plane I own.I look forward to your choice of airframe.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 AM
rcguy!

Gents,

Jason

Dave

It's difficult to know the exact run time on that ECU because the clock starts ticking when you start it and stays ticking until the RX power is switched off. Mine ran for less than 15 mins although the timer says twice that. So run times on this type of ECU don't mean a whole lot.

Jason, (not jamiechip)
Thank You for the reply. I see you didn't answer the question on the warranty clock ticking? Can you?

Dave
Old 05-14-2009, 04:54 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: knobby1

ORIGINAL: jamiechip

Hi All,
Jamie is correct, the JJ-Junior he saw running does indeed have 521 mins run time and 127 cycles. It has had the preload system rectified and the combustion chamber has been "modified" somewhat to my own specifications. Max rpm EGT is in the mid-high 600's so I can't complain at all. I don't fly model aircraft so I can't comment on the flight performance of the engine.

Let me also state that the JJ-Junior is nowhere near the beautiful quality of the Lambert Kolibri, yes it runs and yes it has lasted well so far, I will report back when it has a decent amount of hours on it. I'd suggest the service interval will be around the 15-20 hour mark.

The acceleration rate is actually quite surprising with recorded times averaging ~ 3.2 sec's from a 100k idle to the 240k rpm maximum. Thrust measured is a tad shy of 3.7lbs, not the 4lbs stated on the Jet-Joe website...still, not bad for a 220 gram engine and what it actually is, a cheap Chinese engine.

Cheers,
Smithy.

So your example is not a "production" item that is shipping to "regular" customers and has been modified by you? The 500+ minutes is actual run time or includes "on" time which can be vastly different?

Dave

Dave
Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 AM
jason

Jason, (not jamiechip)
Thank You for the reply. I see you didn't answer the question on the warranty clock ticking? Can you?

Dave
No, can you? To be honest, for the price of these things and the fact I'd rather mess around with it myself I'm really not that bothered if the warranty is 6 months or 6 years.

Jason
Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 AM
jamiechip

sounds like a good project as for the thrust tube is there a good reason for not wanting it there as this is my first project with nturbine i was wondering why ? also i intend to put my turbine on a funjet to get use to it then slowly work on the e-flite hawk i already have the frame but i guess you canot rush these things who nows maybe i will end up with two turbines one in each plane also with your het projects what sort of weight were you flying ? i thought of the het jets but i dont know i just dont know but i really do like the idea of puting a turbine worth thousands of dolllars on a $100 airframe and foam of all things but hey its proven it works ill give it a go so how long have you had your turbine for now whats it go like have you had anyproblems yet ? also when do you expect to receive your jjj did you get it direct or from ausjets ?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
knobby1

[/quote]
So your example is not a "production" item that is shipping to "regular" customers and has been modified by you? The 500+ minutes is actual run time or includes "on" time which can be vastly different?

Dave
[/quote]

Hi Dave,
You're quite right of course, yes, the JJJ engines I have are non-production items, but these modifications and tweaks do get back to the factory, "hopefully" they will be included in future production models, I liaise frequently with Jeff in this regard and he is one who actually listens to people such as myself who try to make these things run better, I'm a helicopter turbine technician by trade and this experience helps me and is the main reason I have the engines.

Indeed yes, the timer does start as soon as it's turned on, there's not much I can do about that, suffice to say I don't have it turned on unless it's ready to be run or I'm busy adjusting parameters. So a conservative run time would be something in the 75-80% range of actual run time I suspect, so something in the order of 390-400 mins actual run time on this particular engine.

All engines tested and run by myself are mounted on a test bed with independent EGT and thrust monitoring equipment similar to others I have seen, I have nothing to hide and see no reason to do so, the JJJ engine is what it is.....and a Lambert Kolibri, it isn't.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:43 AM
rcdriver22

Jason

If I was to buy one it would be from someone like Smithy, while I also live in the UK and am a GTBA member, I wouldbuy a Chinese turbine from OZ as I would have more confidence in it running long term. Thehistory of Jeff selling JJ engines for the customers and reps to testouthas been obviousfrom the first JJ 1200 engine sold. So like theJJ1400 I would leavebuying a JJJfrom the factory for 9 months for the bugs and engineering to improve. Not saying you don't get assistance when I complainedof bearing problems he sent10spare bearings but thiswasn't going to fix the basic engineering flaws in QA/QC.

Paul
exowner of four JJ1400s
Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 PM
friedclutch

Hey Smithy... Are you permitted to ship to the U.S.?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM
knobby1

Friedclutch writes:

"Hey Smithy... Are you permitted to ship to the U.S.?"

Most certainly, drop me a PM and we can discuss further.

Cheers,

Smithy.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave (rcguy), is their any particular reason you lurk on the Jet Joe threads taking any opportunity to rubbish these engines?

I realise they are unauthorised copies of the Lambert & Wren which in itself is a bad thing, but bagging them on these threads will not solve the problems that the owners have. 

Sure, if someone posts a thread asking for 'which turbine' I could easily understand comments not recommending Jet Joes but I'm sure these guys already know they have not bought the worlds best turbines & are just trying to make the best of a bad situation. - John.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

I second that !
Steve
Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
chuckels
My Feedback: (25)

Hi guys,
I have a new JJR ser #JR078.
can someone tell me what perimeters I need in the REGAL FADEC to get this thing running?

I have tried many different settings for accel decel and stability and it will not continue to run on its own with out the blower.
if I get the rpm up to maybe 125000 and slowly pull the blower away the rpms start to drop and the pump starts to add more fuel but it won't pick up speed than it starts to throw blue flame and quit.
HELP please

Old 06-01-2009, 01:24 PM
jason

ORIGINAL: chuckels

Hi guys,
I have a new JJR ser #JR078.
can someone tell me what perimeters I need in the REGAL FADEC to get this thing running?

Ihave tried many different settings for accel decel and stability and it will not continue to run on its own with out the blower.
if I get the rpm up to maybe 125000 and slowly pull the blower away the rpms start to drop and the pump starts to add more fuel but it won't pick up speed than it starts to throw blue flame and quit.
HELP please

Settings won't help. It's just knackered!

Me and a mate had our two back from JJ after the preload was fixed and we ran them today. One lasted 45 seconds beforea bearing failed and the other lasted a whole 1min before it seized solid. Preload seems to be fixed though

Jason
Old 06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
chuckels

Jason,
it seems fine mechanicly just won't stay running without the blower feeding air all the time.
not sure what knackered means although I can guess.
what settings did you have when it ran before the bearings went?
Chuck
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
jason

Chuck

I just used whatever the standard settings were in the ECU as I did not have time to optimise things..I have only managed three runs and I left the blower on until 90k and it carried on to idle (100k) after I took it off.

If your JJJwon't self sustain at that sort of RPM then there is most likelya combustion problem. One thing to try though, turn the gas off at 40k as this can blow the combustion around a bit and the ECU thinks it's supplying enough fuel when it's actually not so thiscould just be your problem.Other than that your engine is "knackered" and will be sitting next to mine on a bench in China very soon.

best of luck.
Jason
Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM
chuckels

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" /><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 9" name="Generator" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 9" name="Originator" /><link href="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/me.CHUCK.000/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" /><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><woNotOptimizeForBrowser /></w:WordDocument></xml><style type="text/css"></style>thanks Jason,
I am using the gas solenoid to control the starting gas.
it accelerates fine up to “running” on kero only as long as the blower was still running it would sustain.
as soon as I backed the blower away the revs would drop and the pump would try more fuel but would just over temp and quit.
I have the Idle set at 100000 the acc at 100 the decel at 30 and stable at 50 it will now sustain idle but will not pick up speed above 110000 when I advance the throttle. as soon as the pump tries to push more fuel to follow the radio the temp goes to 999 and it backs off to 110000 at a temp of around 850c the thermocouple is only about 1.5mm into the cone so I’m not getting false hot readings also the cone starts to glow when it tries to accelerate.
any one else have any help??
this is about my 10th turbine jetcat, arties, ram, fte but the first JJ.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
jason

Accel at 100? Way too high, wants to be 10-15

Have you got the restrictor in the fuel line?

jason
Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
chuckels

<style type="text/css"></style>
yes restrictor is in the outlet line of the pump.
with the accel at 50 (which is where Joe told me to try) it just way over pumps and flames out even when trying to stabilize.
went up 25 at a time and finally got it to idle at 100.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM
jason

what you could try is a bypass valve. A remote needle valve off a OS 91 is perfect for the job if you have one. Cut the tube between the pump and restrictor and T the needle valve in and return the fuel to the tank. It would at leastsort the over fueling out.

Jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.