Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine >

New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New JetJoe J-Junior 4lbs turbine

ORIGINAL: knobby1

ORIGINAL: chichisport

Thanks Smithy and Jason .

What the main caveats of such small turbines appart from bearing life (not a problem with very good balancing) , carbon deposits and dirt in the oil lines?
Are you working in a full auto one?
Hi Gents....and Ladies!

The main dramas we are having at the moment is the shaft and bearing preload, the shaft tends to flex a little at higher rpm's, this gives rise to the compressor wheel fouling the inlet housing and a noise not dissimilar to compressor surge. We're not sure what the shaft material actually is though. I believe we have all but rectified the bearing preload issue, more testing is required but so far it looks to be working reasonably well.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Smithy

funny you should say that. I thought the shaft may be flexing but I put it to the back of my mind as I never heard of it as a problem on the JJJ. I thought the massive vibration at 220k was the blades stretching or the NGV going out of shape.

Jason
Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 AM

I have seen an implementation of a MINI-Z car motor as a starter for a lambert ,some kind of windings can do enough rpms:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=537867&page=6

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bru...?cPath=293_190
25k rpm at 2,4 3V (2 aa cells) ,maybe 70K with 2 lipo.

A neo magnet one:
http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/A...or__13510.aspx

I found interesting the possibility of running the external blower from the ECU. Maybe with a 6 pole connector ,a external battery could be paralleled during start to avoid the need of a bigger battery and still get the ECU to manage the start process.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 AM

http://kolibri-jets.de/Triebwerk.html

The motor seems to be 27L x 20 dia, a std size servo motor????
Old 09-27-2009, 06:43 PM

Everyone can talk crap about a brand they dont like but so far, I see that JJ is the only company attempting to make turbine cheap enough for more people to join the hobby. Although I think the price is still not down enough to draw in the croud. But maybe soon, like in a few years.

[8D]
Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do very much agree with you. To those who can afford high end product, I say you are lucky. I will always keep both my eyes on the JJJ. Affordability is what attract ppl into it. Like Lambert,I am sure, JJ knows problem arising fr its engine,and bound to find a cheaper way to retify them. It is either u do it the expensive way or the cheaper way.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I have seen of JJ, you get what you pay for. That is not what I call a good deal.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Woketman
From what I have seen of JJ, you get what you pay for. That is not what I call a good deal.
You're wasting your time Mark ... people who are desperate to believe that JJ is a good deal, are not disuaded by mere facts.

I'm beginning to think that maybe Darwin was right about natural selection, and that everyone who ignores all of the available info on JJ that has been available for years, and who sincerely believes that JJ is good value for money, should go ahead and buy JJ turbines. LOTS of them. The skies will be less crowded for the rest of us to get flight time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40877.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1286126  
Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woketman,

After some intial headaches......No thanks to your pal! My JJ1400 has worked well for the last few seasons. It does the job.

DW_Crash
Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

You're wasting your time Mark ... people who are desperate to believe that JJ is a good deal, are not disuaded by mere facts.

I'm beginning to think that maybe Darwin was right about natural selection, and that everyone who ignores all of the available info on JJ that has been available for years, and who sincerely believes that JJ is good value for money, should go ahead and buy JJ turbines. LOTS of them. The skies will be less crowded for the rest of us to get flight time.
With all due respect Gordon. No one is saying JJ is the best engine on the market and natural selection has nothing to do with JJ and turbine engines. People are just hoping they can get reliable engines without having to go hungry, in this economy a lot of people have other priorities, and I’m sure the skies will be less crowded for the rest of you to get flight time but its not because people think JJ is a good deal for the money, its because its all they can afford without having to pay a fortune. No company start off making turbine that are flawless, and every company started from small and eventually became competitive. All the people rooting for JJ to include myself are hoping for a miracle in the rc turbine market, someone who can make this hobby available to the masses and not the select few who have extra money to spend. A lot of people can buy the expensive turbines but when presented with the choice of putting money in the savings for emergency or buying a turbine, for the hobby I love, in this economy I choose to save for emergencies.

Thank You
UT
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM

The Autostart shown here on the Lambert Kolibri is very old news, and since a long time an option.
Martin Lambert showed me during JetPower2009 a much smaller 3-phase motor he's now experimenting with...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM

My JJ1400 is also been flying regular for the past two years, majority of problems are in the assembly and setting up, there is nothing wrong now with any of the components coming on a new 1400 engine (cant comment on the JJJ) all the parts are now made correctly and with the right materials.
I know if I had a new kit of bits I could build one a get it running perfect no problem first time and cant see any reason why it wont be looked at agin until it needs its normal service.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: vash19
People are just hoping they can get reliable engines without having to go hungry
Oh, the hyperbole….

A choice between (a) putting food on the table plus buying a Jetjoe, vs (b) buying a reputable brand and going hungry ? Really ? Sorry, but IMO that's just silly and NEITHER of those choices is remotely sensible in such a situation.

It just so happens that I grew up in an environment where there often wasn't money available for food. Many a time, we'd go out in the farmer's field at night after their harvest, and pick up the left-over veggies to live on. I don't even want to think about how many different ways we tried cooking potatoes, in order to break up the monotony of them being almost the only food we had for several weeks at a time. When we did get a bit of money collected, either Mum would drink it, or Dad would waste it buying something absolutely unnecessary - like buying a caravan even though our car wasn't working to tow it with ; almost immediately afterwards they'd wonder why there was no money left for food.

So, chances are pretty good that I know more about the hardship of not being able to afford food, than most of the people on this forum… and lemme tell you something - if my financial situation were tenuous enough that I was faced with the (a) or (b) choices above, I sure as heck would not be spending ANY money on a turbine. Spending the price of a JetJoe on a toy engine, when you are that close to going hungry, is just ridiculous IMO.

Regards,
Gordon
Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

My JJ1400 is also been flying regular for the past two years, majority of problems are in the assembly and setting up, there is nothing wrong now with any of the components coming on a new 1400 engine (cant comment on the JJJ) all the parts are now made correctly and with the right materials.
I know if I had a new kit of bits I could build one a get it running perfect no problem first time and cant see any reason why it wont be looked at agin until it needs its normal service.
OK, so if that is all true, why are the skies not FILLED with low price, economical, reliable Jet Joes? Is it because they (at least the vast majority of them) are actually low price, economical, un-reliable Jet Joes??? Eh????

You guys are pinting out one-see and two-see motors. From what I have seen, most of them are carp.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Oh, the hyperbole….

A choice between (a) putting food on the table plus buying a Jetjoe, vs (b) buying a reputable brand and going hungry ? Really ? Sorry, but IMO that's just silly and NEITHER of those choices is remotely sensible in such a situation.

It just so happens that I grew up in an environment where there often wasn't money available for food. Many a time, we'd go out in the farmer's field at night after their harvest, and pick up the left-over veggies to live on. I don't even want to think about how many different ways we tried cooking potatoes, in order to break up the monotony of them being almost the only food we had for several weeks at a time. When we did get a bit of money collected, either Mum would drink it, or Dad would waste it buying something absolutely unnecessary - like buying a caravan even though our car wasn't working to tow it with ; almost immediately afterwards they'd wonder why there was no money left for food.

So, chances are pretty good that I know more about the hardship of not being able to afford food, than most of the people on this forum… and lemme tell you something - if my financial situation were tenuous enough that I was faced with the (a) or (b) choices above, I sure as heck would not be spending ANY money on a turbine. Spending the price of a JetJoe on a toy engine, when you are that close to going hungry, is just ridiculous IMO.

Regards,
Gordon

I’m sure you feel what you said about natural selection made a lot more sense than what I said, but what I said was the truth, and by the way I was born and raised in Africa so I know what hardship is, I was raised in a civil war and I went days without food sometimes. So before this get into a battle of who struggled more than the other growing up let me leave this thread with this. We all buy whatever engine makes us feel better. And for those people who hate JJ and those who love JJ do what every makes you feel happy. I for one will continue to do what is necessary for me. I’m not going to bad mouth another company engine. I personally don’t care what other people do if they have the money to buy a 2000+ dollars engine, that’s good for them more props to them. For those of us that don’t have it then lets continue to hope for JJ to stay around and improve on quality so we can all get our "cheap" JJ engine in the sky. I know for a fact that a lot of the people who talk crap about JJ have never own one of even seen one up close, they go of what others say. No all but a lot. Well good day to all.

P.S. Keep it up JJ; keep Trying to make turbine available to all for less.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 PM

thats right vash.....

I still drives a korean car, not Hummer.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: seravios

thats right vash.....

I still drives a korean car, not Hummer.
[8D]
Old 10-01-2009, 10:10 PM

Korean car gives problem sometimes here and there, tat does not mean I have to walk....,certainly cant afford Hummer.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: seravios

Korean car gives problem sometimes here and there, tat does not mean I have to walk....,certainly cant afford Hummer.

I hear you, its all about what we can afford and sometimes if we are willing to put in a lil extra work. Fun Fact (Even the great Hummers have their share of problems and its the same for turbines).
Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 AM

OK, so if that is all true, why are the skies not FILLED with low price, economical, reliable Jet Joes? Is it because they (at least the vast majority of them) are actually low price, economical, un-reliable Jet Joes??? Eh????

You guys are pinting out one-see and two-see motors. From what I have seen, most of them are carp.
Probably mainly due to the amount of negative publicity they have been given, but they are obviously being bought as JetJoe is still in buisness, even if the engine was perfect in every way many would still knock it. Look at Skoda cars, everyone still tells the jokes yet they now are very well built and reliable as any other car and have one of the best records is thier class in rallying.

Do you know of any JetJoes that have been produced in the past year or two that were carp or are you still talking stuff from 5yrs ago.?

The JJJ is still new, and it is obvious that JetJoe do tend to use there customers to sort out the problems which is wrong I know, but many tend to like the challenge with a new turbine and smithy in Aus seems to have it fairly well sorted.

The JJ1400 is the bench mark longest made engine and I cannot see a fault in it now.
I am going to do a complete component breakdown evaluation on the engine over on the main JetJoe thread and let people comment on the quality of each part down to the screws. We can then see where if any flaws there are.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 AM

well said....
Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 AM

I don't hate Jet Joe, not at all. I do hate unwary customers getting ripped off though (and Wren getting ripped too). I sincerely wish that there existed a viable turbine for the money we are talking here, I really do. But from all I have seen, that ain't JJ. Sure, there are a few here who claim to have reliable JJs. Good for you! But that certainly is not at all typical of the JJ experience. No, an economical turbine that is reliable is still out there in the future.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:36 AM

I don't hate Jet Joe, not at all. I do hate unwary customers getting ripped off though (and Wren getting ripped too). I sincerely wish that there existed a viable turbine for the money we are talking here, I really do. But from all I have seen, that ain't JJ. Sure, there are a few here who claim to have reliable JJs. Good for you! But that certainly is not at all typical of the JJ experience. No, an economical turbine that is reliable is still out there in the future.
That is a strange comment coming from you!!! Yes, many people have JJ's that work. And, they are happy with them. I am one now. WOKETMAN, you keep talking.....but please present some justification or supporting facts for your comments. Otherwise, it is just hot air moving.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:55 AM

I have looked at the stats. There are a few of you who claim to have reliable JJ. But over time I have read about far more of you who have engines that don't run at all or run once or twice and blow up or that run at 50% stated thrust etc., etc......
Old 10-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Woketman,

See Xairflyer comments.....Are you talking present or history? They are two totally different things. Long ago, JJ had issues. Now, with good vendor support, the reports are far more positive than negative. Times are a changing.....

DW_Crash
Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 PM

I hear ya talkin' Hammer, I hear ya talkin'....

If anyone wants to throw good money after bad on a Jet Joe, they have been warned a plenty!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.