Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sepecat Jaguar

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sepecat Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:23 AM
nmacwarbirds

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sepecat Jaguar

Dear All
Sepecat Jaguar

Clive and I are working feverishly on the Jaguar to have it ready for the Scampton event or Barkston failing that Tibenham .
The top of the wing panel lines and rivet detail has now been completed (see pictures below).
Next up is the fuselage panels, panel lines and rivet detail, that would then leave an ejector seat
and an instruments panel to make plus install a suitable Pilot. The paint scheme has not been decided on
yet but I have in mind a composite scheme of two different anniversary aircraft.
What ever scheme the Jaguar is finished in, it will have 'Spirit of Coltishall' on either side of the nose,
we gave our word to SoCa that we would do that.

The Jaguar has flown three times in grey and white primer.

Regards Phil G.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48968.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1169040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63860.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1169041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86946.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1169042  
Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sepecat Jaguar

Looks great!!! How about a few more pics, including the construction if you have them...

Kevin
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 AM
nmacwarbirds

Dear Kevin
I can give you the complete blow by blow account of the design
build and finally flying of the Jaguar.

This was written by Dibble, who was the designer and builder of the model.

Regards Phil G.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
nmacwarbirds

Jaguar design and building article
By
Dibble

It all started on the evening of the 25th of April 2007 - I was speaking with Phil about what his and Clives next model would be,
he mentioned that they would like a Jaguar. We discussed the only model kit of the Jaguar which is available - made by Christen Diffusion
in France, this is a 54" wingspan model, which weighs 26.5lbs and costs somewhere in the region of a whopping £1700 for the kit, retracts
and tailpipe! It is also a model of the version of the Jaguar that the French use, but they wanted a model of the British version (of course!)
We came to the inevitable conclusion that this was way too expensive, and also too small and heavy. Therefore if Clive wanted a Jaguar then
the only real way would be to design one ourselves. As at the time I didn't have anything under construction (and because I like building,
not to mention a challenge!) I suggested that we make the Jaguar a three way project, Clive would own and fund it, Phil would fly it and
I would design & build it (I'm not sure that I got the best part of that deal!) I started the design immediately, we wanted to use the engine
that Clive had already got in his Eurosport (a Merlin 160) and so based the model size on that, somewhere between mid 60" and 70" wingspan
would be about right for that engine. 1/6th scale gives a wingspan of 57" and a length of 110", given that the Jaguar does not have a very big wing
, we decided to go for this scale but with an enlarged wing to try to improve it's flying characteristics. The wingspan was enlarged to 68" to give the final size.
I scoured the Internet for three view drawings of the Jaguar, and we were also given a set of drawings by Tony Hayden, one of these sets
of drawings included cross sections of the fuselage at various points along its length - this was ideal to help get the fuselage shape correct,
although some places that I wanted to put fuselage formers did not have cross sections on that drawing, so I had to work out what the shape
needed to be using the two nearest cross sections. I used a CAD package on a computer to do all the designing, the beauty of the CAD system
is that the drawings can be scaled to whatever size is wanted, this came in handy later on in the build. I loaded the three view drawings into the
CAD package and traced round them so that I ended up with a computerised scale drawing of a Jaguar, I then scaled this drawing so that the
fuselage was the correct length (110" including the pitot tube), then I scaled up the size of the wing only until it was at its target size of 68".
I decided that the best construction method was a traditional built up structure using the usual balsa, liteply and ply, with a glass cloth/epoxy covering.
The next big thing to decide on is what airfoil section to use on the wing (and elevators and fin) - looking at the full size Jaguar it's wing seems to be made
up from flat plates, so there is no section to speak of, it is also very thin, we thought that this would not be very good for the model so decided to go for a
non scale section. I looked on the Internet again, this time to see if I could find anyone who had designed a jet model and to see what section they used,
all I was able to find was one person who had designed a sports jet model (which apparently flew well) who had used the NACA 0012 section. Looking at
the NACA 0012 section it seems like a nice thick symmetrical airfoil (which was OK for us as we wanted lift rather than speed) so I used that for both the wings,
the elevators and the fin, this gave the finished wing a thickness of about 3" at its deepest point!)
Now that I had all the information that I needed to draw up the wings I started on that, I decided where the ribs were to go by spacing them out so that they
were around 2.5" apart, making sure that one rib was located at the joint between the flap and aileron, and one rib was in the fuselage at the point where it
meets the fuselage side frames. Because the wing sweeps back a lot I decided to fit two dihedral braces, one at about half the root chord, this one can only
go out to under half the length of the wing before we run out of wing due to the sweep, the second brace was placed at the hinge position of the flaps, this one
can run almost the full length of the wing. The wing is also unusual in that it has quite a bit of anhedral, I was a bit worried about this so didn't add as much as
is scale. Also, due to a mistake on my part while drawing the plans, it had even less anhedral that I had planned for! The fuselage had to strongly link together
the wing, the tailplane, the main landing gear and the nose gear, to do this I decided to make a box structure from 1/8" ply (suitably lightened) which runs
completely from the nose gear position to the tail, if you look at the shape of the Jaguar you will notice that the fuselage from nose to the engine outlets is a
fairly boxy shape, which was ideal. Further aft of the engine outlets it starts to taper in until it reaches the elevators, so I made a second box structure for this
section which was to be securely bolted and epoxied to the main box frame. The actual shape of the fuselage is built around these box frames, as the fuselage
skin is only providing the shape and is not structural I could make it from fairly thin, light balsa (I decided on 3/32" balsa)
We wanted to keep the engine install fairly simple, as the full size Jaguar has two engines, and thus two outlets, and we are using a single engine, we had two
options, we could use a bifurcated pipe to split the single engine into two pipes, or we could 'cheat' and use a very non scale single pipe out of the back, for
simplicity we went for the non scale single pipe option. The landing gear/retracts are a key part of the fuselage due to the way that they work, on the Jaguar
the retracts are in the fuselage at an angle, the legs come out of the fuselage at an angle and the wheels are mounted on them again at an angle so that they
end up vertical. When the wheels retract the legs/wheels go forwards and in, and the wheel twists so that it can tuck itself neatly away in the fuselage. We didn't
want to have the complexities of twisting the wheels, but I worked out that if I used wheels which were slightly smaller than scale I could get them to fit into the
fuselage without needing to twist. We decided to use Eurokit giant retracts as we have used these before with good results (as long as you don't use the supplied
valve, which normally leaks badly!) - these retracts are air up - spring down, meaning that if we lose air pressure due to leaks the gear will come down and we
will be able to land the model. The legs had to be home made as there is obviously nothing that you can buy to suit - luckily I have a lathe and milling machine
and so was able to make them, the main legs are sprung in two places in order to absorb the load from any heavy landings which may occur. Working out where
the retract mounting blocks needed to be in the fuselage in order to get all the angles correct (there are three angles which all need to be correct, firstly the angle
that the leg goes sideways away from the fuselage sides, also the leg needs to be angled forwards when the gear is down, and it also needs to retract into the correct
place in the fuselage. I found that the easiest way to work this out was to make the retract/legs/wheel assembly then make a mock up of the fuselage, then I could
find the position that the retract unit needed to be mounted in by trial and error.
The Jaguar has all moving elevators, so I could not use the normal methods of hinging. In addition to this, they sweep backwards and downwards to make things more
complicated! I decided that the elevators should each be attached to an 8mm diameter silver steel bar, which goes through two pillow block bearings in the fuselage
which will keep it in place, the elevator itself then has an 8mm I/D brass tube built into it, the steel bar then slides into the tube and is attached to it with bolts, this
makes the elevators removable for transport. Originally I used pillow block bearings which are actually self lubricating plastic bushes, but I found that there was more
play in these bearings than I would have liked, so I modified them by boring out the bushing and inserting a ball race, this made them far better with no discernable
play whatsoever.
When the structure of the model was completed and it was time to install all the innards (radio, retracts, engine, fuel tank etc) the main difficulty was getting enough
fuel on board and having it as close to the CG as possible. In the end I used a 3l plastic drinks bottle (cider!), this fits just forwards of the CG, but unfortunately is
exactly where the wheels retract into! The solution was to 'deform' the fuel tank to that it has two indentations, one on each side, to clear the wheels, I did this by
wrapping a band of fairly heavy weight glass cloth, saturated with epoxy, round the fuel tank at the position where I wanted the indentations, I then covered this
with plastic to stop it sticking to everything, then I installed the tank, retracted the wheels and made sure that they were pushing the tank in at the correct positions,
and left it overnight. When the wheels were released the next day the epoxy/glass kept its position and formed the required shape for the tank (unfortunately this
means that the tank now holds slightly less than 3l)
As there is, of course, no canopy commercially available for this model I had to make one up, so I made a mould the same size as the canopy (I actually did it in
two halves, the main part and the front windscreen type part) - these I covered with glass cloth and then spent a lot of time sanding and filling in order to get the
moulds as smooth as possible, these moulds then went to Green Air Designs who kindly used their vaccuum forming machine to make the canopy for us.
The model splits up into several pieces for transport, the wing, fin, elevators and nose are all detachable. The actual building started on the 30th June 2007, and took
almost exactly one year to complete. For the CG position Phil e-mailed Alisdair Sutherland (who writes aerodynamic pieces for the magazines) to ask him to calculate
where it should be, which he kindly did. Alisdair came back with two positions using two different methods of calculations, so we decided that the furthest forward one
is the one to use. To check the CG calculations I used my original CAD design and scaled it down to around 30" wingspan, and made a very simple model from Depron
foam, powered by an electric motor & prop at the back, this was flown using the calculated CG position which seemed fine.
We planned to test fly the model painted with just a coat of primer and would do the proper paint scheme later, so I used two colours of primer (grey and white) to make
a very rough winter camo type colour scheme so that it would be easier to see on the test flight (and would look a bit better!) The model was taken to a warbirds flyin
at Barkston Heath on 18th May 2008 on static display only (it didn't have an engine or any radio gear installed at the time), then it was taken to the Spirit of Coltishall
association barbeque on the 28th of June 2008 for display, this time we ran the engine and did some taxi tests, but it was not quite ready for flight. From just after the
barbeque onwards the Jag was pretty much ready and we were just waiting for the weather to fly it, eventually I got a call from Phil when I was at work on the 22nd of July
- the weather looked to be pretty good for that evening, so I sneaked off work an hour early and went off to load the Jag into the car and get to Coltishall, at this point
I was feeling pretty nervous, and I wasn't even the one who would have to fly it! 22/7/2008 - I arrived at Colt at about 5:45 and saw that Clive and Phil had just arrived
- good timing there. As it was a Tuesday evening I did not expect anyone else to be there, but I was wrong (how do they know that you're going to be doing a test flight?)
- Peter Rogers, Peter Halfacre, Dave Rourke and Colin Griffiths were there and had been all afternoon!
I had to spend a bit of time changing out the elevator servo arms from plastic ones to aluminium ones before we could start as I was not happy with the plastic ones, then
I was able to put the model together and do one last top up of all the batteries. We were nearly ready for flight when a car came down the runway - it was Mervyn who is
in charge of the day to day running of Coltishall, somehow he had heard that we were going for a test flight, we seemed to have an ever increasing number of spectators!
Eventually all was ready, we had double checked the CG, set and checked the throws, fuelled up and were ready to go, Peter Rogers was kind enough to offer to use my
camera to take some photos of the flight, while Clive was ready on the video camera. Phil was piloting and I was stationed next to him ready to operate trims, gear switch
, flap levers and anything else that may be neccessary. Almost as soon as Phil opened the throttle the nose leapt off the ground, but the model was not yet going fast enough
so Phil had to push the nose down on order to let the speed come on, then she was away! I retracted the gear and found that one leg didn't fully retract - I was not surprised
though as they are quite heavy legs/wheels, and they are retracting forward into the air flow, we knew before the flight that this may happen and the model really needs a bigger
air reservoir to help here. After a few circuits the leg did retract, presumably it was helped along by various vibrations and changes in airspeed. Next was the trims - Phil flew it
round and I put in the trims that he wanted, I was very pleasntly surprised to find that it only needed two clicks of forward elevator (which is surprising as it is very difficult to
work out where to put an all moving tail to at the zero position, as there is no fixed tail to reference it to!) After about four minutes we decided to land as we weren't totally sure
of how long the fuel would last, we only knew that it would be a very short time! After the last pass we put the gear down and deployed a very small amount of flap, and Phil
brought her in for a superb landing, to say that Clive, Phil and I were happy at that time would be an understatement! After the flight we checked to see how much fuel was
left, about 1/3rd of a tank.
27/7/2008 - As the weather was superb we decided to take the Jag out for more flights, the first flight of the day started well but unfortunately one of the retracts collapsed on
landing, thankfully this only resulted in a scraped wing and elevator tip, the problem had been that the retract had not fully locked down, because of this we decided to reduce
the restriction in the air line (the retracts are pneumatically operated, a restrictor is fitted to the air lines in order to slow down the speed of retraction) which we hope will stop
this from happening in the future. The second flight of the day was better, Phil is obviously getting more confident with the model, shown when he made a fantastic scale landing
where he kept the nose of the model up after landing until it had almost come to a complete stop (the fullsize Jag does this in order to get some aerodynamic braking)
Now that the model is constructed and flown we plan to keep it painted in its temporary primer colour scheme for the remainder of the summer, then do some finishing off over
the winter, jobs to do are:
Give it it's proper paint job Hopefully install gear doors Install a pilot
Look into adding drop tanks and bombs under the wings (when I made the wings I deliberately included T nuts in the underside at the under wing pylon positions for this, and
I have recently drawn up the plans for some drop tanks) In all it has been very satisfying to design and build a model like this from absolutely nothing, even if the enjoyment
was wearing a bit thin by the end when the model completely filled my shed, meaning that I didn't have any spare space to work on my own models!

Name:	Rp44429.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1169182  
Old 04-08-2009, 04:45 AM
nmacwarbirds

Dear All
Can anyone help please, we are desperately trying to get our Jaguar finished in Gulf War 1 desert scheme
ready for the RAFMAA Warbirds event which is on the weekend of the 18th and 19th of April.

We are having no luck in finding the British Standard number for the desert sand paint, which is pinkish in colour.
I have two different FS numbers, they are FS 30279 and FS 10279I.
Unfortunately I can't find anyone in the Uk who will mix the paint to FS numbers.

So the question is does anyone know what the BS number is for the desert sand paint please?

Regards Phil G.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Geoff White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well according to this website - http://www.vicflintham.co.uk/lists/britcols.html

its BS381 no 361 which is called light stone.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/luft_flug.htm#jaguar has a number of Jag schemes, including a couple of desert styles.

The Oman one shows the "BS381 C:361 Light Stone" that Geoff mentions, but that seems a bit darker than all the Desert Storm Jag pics I have.

I think this one is possibly what you are looking for, but it has no BS number

http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/schemes/rafgolf.htm
http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/draw/jaguar_gr1_ds.jpg

BTW, since you're doing desert camo, are you going fo Viz nose art ?

Name:	Vt58730.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1175646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83521.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1175647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59031.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1175648  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Gordon Mc

From http://www.canit.se/~griffon/diverse...g/s1colref.txt

Desert pink (1991-92) FS.30279

Sorry - haven't found any FS to BS conversion info yet. Will keep hunting.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 AM
nmacwarbirds

Thank you all for your efforts regarding the Gulf war paint colour.

I mixed my own which was not correct, so we changed the Jaguar back to grey.

It will now be a composite of three aircraft, at the moment it has Buster Gonad on the port side
the fat slags will be added shortly to the starboard side. The Gulf war was probably the Jaguars
finest hour, so we wanted to have something representing that, hence Buster and the big girls.

The fin will have a large cross of lorraine (41 Sqn) on it at a later date, that will then leave
us to add gear doors, cockpit detail and finally add a Pilot and more stores.

We only have sidewinders on the wing top rails at the moment.

On the nose of the aircraft in black curved lettering are the words Spirit of 'Coltishall', we gave our word
to the Spirit of Coltishall association that we would do that and we have.
Just behind the cockpit are the words Coltishall Memorial Flight, which is a group of us with in the NMAC
who build and fly model aircraft that were operated from Coltishall.
They are flying memorials for those who gave so much for our freedom today.

The pilots name on the side of the cockpit will be Flt Lt Jim Luke, Jim Luke flew the last Jaguar out of Coltishall
on Monday the 3rd of April 2006, a date that will live in infamy as far as I am concerned.

Here are some pictures of the Jaguar taken at last weekends RAFMAA warbirds event.

Regards Phil G.
Coltishall
UK

Name:	Ca80711.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1184492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74074.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1184493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32231.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1184494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75328.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1184495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66882.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1184496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66232.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1184497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Np18390.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1184498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy82984.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1184499  

Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Gordon Mc

Nice !

Of course, we're gonna need some close-ups of those Viz characters !
Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 AM
simont

Got one of them.

Simon.

Name:	Nl31082.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1184534  
Old 12-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Jag Fan

I'm actually in the building process of a 1:9 scale Jaguar at the moment. just wondered if there's anything you can share about this. I am using the scale airfoil section, which is the NACA 65A-006, but scaling the outline up slightly to give a better wing loading. since I have no reference, except what I can do myself, can you share where the CG would be as a percentage of MAC? I would greatly appreciate anything you can offer me. thank you.

Rich