Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My F-14 Tomcat building

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My F-14 Tomcat building

Old 07-15-2002, 05:39 PM
Tomcatflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My F-14 Tomcat building

Another.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17766_868.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	4959  
Old 07-15-2002, 05:43 PM
Tomcatflyer

Another,

Name:	17767_868.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	4960  
Old 07-15-2002, 05:46 PM
Tomcatflyer

And another,more to come!

Name:	17769_868.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	4961  
Old 07-15-2002, 08:46 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Website

Matt whats the URl to your website I was looking throught the posts and didnt see it.

Joe
Old 07-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Tomcatflyer

Hi Joe,
To find my site,just click on the 'WWW' link on the bottom tabs on each thread,just in case you didn't know (you probably do already) or you may just want my address,here is the link for you:
www.geocities.com/grumman_uk
I hope you like what you see!

Matt.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:06 PM
ProfLooney

Default buttons

thanks actiually i didnt know abt the buttons so thanks it will help alot

Joe
Old 07-15-2002, 11:47 PM
Jai Young Shim
My Feedback: (2)

Default My Tomcat Building

Dear matt,

I had tremendous amount web surfing for seeking information on this lovely hobby of jet model flying. One of interesting site was yours and wish to have one in the next.

My sweep wing system is also faithful to the plan for mechanism as you can see in the upper pictures. As there was no comment about the electronic control system, I asked my friends how to control it and finally he made perfect but very simple system with only a few piece of pasts, light and cheap(almost ignorable value).

This system works as the button or knob or stick allocated from TX. If we allocate the control in let's say flap switch, it works only two ways, fully extended upto limit and back if flip the switch the other way. There is no stop and return allowed.

However, if we allocate the TX control switch, just like aeleron or volume knob, it works completely as we wish. It can go and stop and return in any position.

Meanwhile, I decided to have two modes with flap switch for anticipated mode of wing position and simpler trim works. If the test o.k. and more accustomed in flying this beauty, then I will put one more mode of mid-wing.

The control has taileron only as in the plan. I decided to make the straigth main wings without flaps. It will be simpler and good brake system can do better.

Thanks for your pictures. I had saved that in my PC and refered many times whenever I was blocked by problem.

Jai Young Shim
Old 07-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Tomcatflyer

Hi Jai (and everyone else)
I'm please to announce my Tomcat had a test flight yesterday,with wings in forward position.
Flies great,like a pattern ship.One beautiful flying airplane!
Anyone interested in plans and kits,drop me a line!
Video will be ready for you to download on Saturday.

Thanks,
Matt.

Name:	18164_868.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	4962  
Old 07-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Skybouncer
My Feedback: (3)

Default first Flight

CONGRATULATIONS MATT on the first flight of your Tomcat, IM sure you will find shes a big Kittycat instead of a Tomcat.
ABSOLUTELY the most awesome jet ever built and to fly.
Hope you have many fun flights from it.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:38 PM
ProfLooney

Default Kit

Well Guys my plans and canopy are ordered. I should have them in 5 days then have to get them scanned and start vectoring. If someone has the parts already in cad format and would like to save me some time I would appreciate it you can send to [email protected] The reason I am needing them in vector or cad format is for my laser cutter. Besides cutting the kit for me he will then be offering short kits for a lot less than most places as he doesnt have the huge overhead expenses most companies do. you can check out his site at http://www.lazer-works.com anyways not here to advertise but thought would share if others are looking for kits. I love this thread as I feel it will help me greatly. I am not able to afford turbine at this time and was thinking of using the Dynamax fan units like I am gonna use in my Ziroli Panther when my kit gets here. Anyone got and suggestions on things to watch for when building the F-14 with these engines in mind?

Thanks
Joe
Old 08-04-2002, 10:30 PM
nIgHthAwK17

Tomcatflyer,
Now, you know all you '14 pilots are gonna have to get together and build a scale Carrier to fly them off of... somehow it just doesn't seem right - a '14 flying off of grass! I'll tell you what though, they(y'alls F-14s) sure look d@mn good... Congrats and good work!

nIgHthAwK17
Old 08-04-2002, 10:40 PM
ProfLooney

Default Carrier

Haha I think traplet has plans for one we just blow them up a wee bit.

One thing I did see once in arkansas was a club that flew a lot of warbirds did paint their clubhouse to look like a carrier bridge.

Joe
Old 08-05-2002, 06:06 AM
Mike James

Default VERY nice!

Great work, everybody.

It's gratifying to watch all the work involved in this beauty, and see a happy outcome. Those are some "bad" jets!
Old 08-06-2002, 04:04 AM
Eugen

Jay,

Your F-14 is impressive. I know the kit you talkig about but I do not know if you know..that Jet Hanger Hobby did a fibreglass fuze based on those drawings. I think Larry Wolfe did it when Top Gun was made. I am from Sydney Australia and got the fuze and foam cores home. I would be very interested in your solutions because my F-14 will be build pretty soon. I also have an F-15 Eagle from JHH which was the first Avonds Kit. Also teh drawings from Hobby Barn if I am nto wrong are made by Avonds. So, I think if you had that fuze your building time (and weight) of teh project will be reduced considerably.

EUGEN
Old 08-06-2002, 10:30 AM
SHANGHAI

hi~~~~~~Mr Shim,i have learned about you from the korea r/c magazine<R/C MODEL FOR FAN> the 4th issue of 2002 when i was in incheon,your f-14 looks so nice
Old 08-07-2002, 12:07 AM
Jai Young Shim

Default My F-14 Tomcat Building

Hi, Eugen and Shanghai, Thanks!

I knew that JHH kit when I had already proceeded in building upto keel- laying and wings, thus I decided to keep going. One guy here is waiting for this kit.

It is quite big job and challenge to me, but I could solve the problems with good support from friends.

I finished retracts system now and satisfied in working perfectly. I need some scale touch but will add it after test fly.

Since we have now heavy rain falls in the middle of summer, I am not proceeding but will do soon. I am asking help continuously about planking and paint from experienced friends to find the best way.

I found now small problem that the space is insufficient for accessaries and equipments loading. I have to find the good solution. One of the way is to take one big capacity battery NiMh 3300 for two engines start and fuel pump. I am considering whiich way to go for ECU system, whether auto or manual.

In case which auto system taken, a few more accessaries needed, four electric shut off valves.

I will take a few more photos soon with more planking works and landing gears.

Jai Young Shim
Old 08-07-2002, 01:55 AM
Eugen

Jay,

Let me clarify for everybody. JHH F-14 is not a kit. It is just a fuze, some foam cores and some drawings. You have to work it out all. There are no solutions for, swep wings etc ... nothing. Just a fuze. There are not even intakes or ducting. I payed for the fuze $1,000.00 AUS and I keep my fingers crossed I get good enough to build it. That is why I get excited when I see your results. I got some help from Charlie Lines with some drawings since he cleared all problems on Yellow Aircraft F-14. I am trying to get a nice Tomcat without paying BIG BUCKS for teh kit and swep wing mechanism. Hmmmm..... one day I will get there.. I hope. This fuze is to small for twin ducted fan and the new small turbines will make him fly I hope. I am waiting...not in rush.

Thanks for reply .... and keep working on....

EUGEN
Old 08-07-2002, 03:20 PM
B777

Hi Jai,

I am from Thailand and fly Thai 777. I just came back from Seoul Incheon and did I see the rain!!! I got heavy rain on final approach to Rwy 15L all the way to touch down.

I have been following your thread for awhile now and I am an F14 lover too. I have ordered the plans from Hobby Barn and should have them soon. I plan to put in two PST J600 turbines. These engines are made here in Thailand by PST Jets and based on Wren Mw54 design. More at www.pstjets.com

Hope to get the plans soon and will be asking more questions for tips, etc. This will be a very exciting project for me. I am flying the Yellow F16, F4, F18 (single) and Avonds F15 right now. All powered by PST J600.

Regards,
B777
Old 08-07-2002, 03:59 PM
Chris Z
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installed weight

B777,
what is the installed weight of the PST J600 system?
And are you the owner of PST???
Chris
Old 08-07-2002, 04:08 PM
B777

Hi Chris,

I am the Marketing director and Webmaster for PST Jets. I get to test fly the J600 and do lots of testing and development.

J600 with all electronic will weigh at 1.5kg, so two of these in the F14 will be about 3kg for poer plants.

My picture with my J600 powered F15 (single with straight bifurcated pipe). I will be posting with F14 soon.....with help from Jai and other F14 cravers, of course.

Keep flying...
B777
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Chris Z
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice 15 B777,
it's really amazing that you can fly the Eagle with a single 11 lb turbine.
Thanks for the info,
Chris
Old 08-07-2002, 04:30 PM
B777

I'm squeezing about 12lbs from the J600 now at 160K rpm. Will do nice loop and almost two vertical rolls (we fly in humid 33C temp). Two J600s would be nice!! as it would be in the F14.

B777
Old 08-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Jai Young Shim

Default My Tomcat Building

It's getting exciting to see a quite decent number of Tomcat lovers. I would believe any jet addicts may have a dream to get or build this lovely fighter. One of my friend who presented me the plan and canopy(he is architect) once told me about the beauty and excellence of design, especially the line from nose to canopy and flowing down to wings is quite artful.

Moreover, the sweep wing system is unique for the hobbist to challenge. beautifull system of undercarriage!!

Anyway, it is quite happy to know B777 is planning to build one soon. Cheer up! I will be pleased to assist you.

Yesterday after paper works in the company, I did some more works including landing gear and sanding etc.

Please think about the critical problems you will encounter soon in the course of building.

1)Sweep wing system : Full extended / full sweep or any stop and return

2)Undercarriage- Twist and turn main landing gears :97-98 degrees up to fuselage

3)Twin engines(whether glow duct fan or turbines) synchronizing
Twin big tanks for turbine fueling.

Trying to follow the manual(only a few pages of translation of French words into English!) and plans faithfully.

Good luck B777!

Jai Young Shim
Old 08-07-2002, 11:22 PM
ProfLooney

Default F-14

Yea I have the Gupton Plans in tiff format but a friend of mine said there was like 18 sheets to it and I only have 10 thats why I got the Avonds Maybe one day I can figure out what ones I am missing and find them.

Joe
Old 08-08-2002, 05:13 AM
ProfLooney

Default F-14 Ref Site

I found this helacious F-14 reference site tonight. it has more picks than the F-14 has parts hehe (almost) http://www.anft.net/f-14/

Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.