Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My F-14 Tomcat building

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My F-14 Tomcat building

Old 07-02-2009, 04:51 AM
F14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My F-14 Tomcat building

Hi David,
the size is 1/7 and I want it fully functional (big work and that means long time), still thinking about gloves but probably I'll do not implement them.
About landing gear I want to ask to a friend of mine that work with cnc machines in order to understand if, and how, we could build a set from scratch...
Ciao

Angelo
Old 07-02-2009, 04:56 AM
F14

Thomas,
as I write in your thread thank you to point me to your thread, I missed it!
Good idea, and good project, about the kit, of course I hope that you'll show the most you can!
By the way, what kind of turbines you plan to use?
Ciao

Angelo
Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: F14

Thomas,
as I write in your thread thank you to point me to your thread, I missed it!
Good idea, and good project, about the kit, of course I hope that you'll show the most you can!
By the way, what kind of turbines you plan to use?
Ciao

Angelo
Angelo,
Turbines will most likely be jetcat P160's or Artes Rhino's.. but i'm so far from needing to know that information, i'm not worried about it
Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 AM
tj coleman

If anyone needs info. photo's etc. of the yellow f14 kit. I am building one at the moment from the deluxe kit. Tom.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: tj coleman

If anyone needs info. photo's etc. of the yellow f14 kit. I am building one at the moment from the deluxe kit. Tom.
Tom,
I could use some info on how yellow did the speed brakes and spoilers. Like hinging, actuation, etc.

thanks,
thomas
Old 07-29-2009, 03:26 AM
tj coleman

Thomas, I'll take some pic's for you. The spoilers actually work very simply with nylon,or similar material,bearings and a servo mounted in the underside of the wing next to the flap servo. The air brakes are left to the builder. I am using ply and brass bearings and will actuate with Servo's rather than air (with dummy air cylinders for scale) for more precise control and expo. Tom.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 AM
cmjets

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello:

Jai, have you more photos or videos of your F-14 ???

Many thanks in advance.

Carlos.

http://cmjets.blogspot.com/
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
wayne1965

hi guys
i got to build me a cat, reasons for not buying a kit is i need both kidneys to live so there not for sale as yet , anyway im going to go with the avonds plan but before i do and spend the next 10yrs in the work shop i have a couple of questions. 1) where do you source the retracts and wing mech, 2) can you fit turbines in without loosing it and taking a axe to the whole thing, if so what sort of turbine? 3) are there spoilers as per full size or do you need to put ailerons in. whats the lenght of the bird when finnished? sorry to be a pain in the arse just got to be sure of costs and is it worth while at 1/10 scale. thanks for your time and happy landings
regards
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM
invertmast

1. Retracts from matrix machine. Wing mech your on your own.
2. Turbines fit in the 10th scale...but there's no room for fuel.
3. Spoilers are shown, but no actuation method is shown. Ailerons are not possible on a f14. Spoilers aren't necessary, tailerons are perfectly effective.
Length when finished is about 85 inches.

If you want turbines id recommend atleast 1/9th or 1/8th scale.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

You can get the gear from [link=http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id7.html]Matrix[/link] along with the sweep mechanism as well. I highly recommend their landing gear which I bought but I don't think John's solution is the best one for the wing sweep. I'm having my own made, I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

I chose to go EDF with mine. I talked to Jay Young Shim about this and he used 2 - turbines in his. They worked fine but would only carry enough fuel for a 4 - 5 minute flight, so he went back to the drawing board and and built a larger scale model (like Thomas).

I tried building the wings with flaps, it's just too small for me. I intend to build my new wings with spoiler/no flaps. Seems like there's plenty of room for that and it won't be that tough.

David
Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 PM
wayne1965

hi guys
thanks for your advice im going to go with cm smith plans at 1/8 scale the only problem now do anybody know what the finished weight is reason i ask the uk laws are a pain in the arse 20KG and theres more red tape than a home comming also what turbines as in jetcat would be recomended? thanks for your time and happy landings.
regards
Old 12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
invertmast

Wayne. Depending on how anal you are during the building, I would say expect anywhere from 35 to 45lbs. For turbines I would recommend atleast p80s preferably p120s
Old 12-07-2009, 05:12 PM
wayne1965

hi guys
35-45 is that dry or ready to go with fuel? im not to sure about cutting things to the bone from the C/G back to lighten everything up as you would on a warbird ,just not to sure if it would take the strains how would any of you people whos all ready built one gone about it? as i said 35-45 is not much to play with if theres no fiberglass involved. thanks for your time.
regards
Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: wayne1965

hi guys
35-45 is that dry or ready to go with fuel? im not to sure about cutting things to the bone from the C/G back to lighten everything up as you would on a warbird ,just not to sure if it would take the strains how would any of you people whos all ready built one gone about it? as i said 35-45 is not much to play with if theres no fiberglass involved. thanks for your time.
regards
I would say that is probably a dry weight. Personally, i would use as much carbon and fiberglass as possible. Most of all the fuselage formers are not load bearing, so I would make these out of extremely light 3/16" balsa with ALOT of lightening holes and some 1/2oz fiberglass cloth on both sides for strength. The load bearing bulkheads (IE the ones that the Gear, Wing box, sweep mechanism, and stabs) mount to should all have a layer of 3k carbon cloth on each side w/ them biased across the bulkheads. The entire fuselage should then be sheeted with 3/32" balsa and have carbon cloth/tape in critical areas (running length-wise down the fuselage and wrapped around the width of the fuselage at the stab and wing box mounting bulkheads so a "ring" of CF is formed). The entire fuselage should then be glassed w/ 1.5oz fiberglass biased on the 45.

The wings are an Entirely different subject, as they are IMO the weakest point in the entire design if built per the plans.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 PM
wayne1965

hi guys
well to be honest the only other jet ive built is the yellow F18 twin which to be honest was a pain in the arse as for the cat it sounds 10 times worse but with the right beer on board im going to give it ago i rekon, as for the size to be honest i would like a 1/8 but im a little worried when it comes to weight if it hits 20KG it will become a model that will hang from a cieling and thats it!!! tell me probaly a stupid question but after jais crash with the avonds model have anyone ever had succes with that particular model useing turbines? and do anyone know the size if you went from 1/10-1/9? thanks for your time.
regards
Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

About 93 inches.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: wayne1965

hi guys
well to be honest the only other jet ive built is the yellow F18 twin which to be honest was a pain in the arse as for the cat it sounds 10 times worse but with the right beer on board im going to give it ago i rekon, as for the size to be honest i would like a 1/8 but im a little worried when it comes to weight if it hits 20KG it will become a model that will hang from a cieling and thats it!!! tell me probaly a stupid question but after jais crash with the avonds model have anyone ever had succes with that particular model useing turbines? and do anyone know the size if you went from 1/10-1/9? thanks for your time.
regards
The DCU/ jetmart USa F-14 was based off of the avonds plan. It has a 82" wingspan (so roughly 82" long) and has been powered w/ Jetcentral super bee's and Jetcat P-80's. But since it has a fiberglass fuselage, it has much more room for fuel.
Jai is the only person i'm aware of to build a turbine F-14 from the avonds plans and successfully fly it..twice.

Honestly, if you thought the YA F-18 twin was hard to build, your going to be very frustrated with the Avonds f-14. The directions that come with the plans are honestly..use-less. During the building of my plugs, i found that you have to have some items 1/2 way done, and others completely done in order to start with the next step.. Its honestly a very frustrating plane to build. Then you have to chop it all up for access panels.

a 1/9 should be around 90-93" wingspan. 1/8 around 100" wingspan a 1/7 is 110" wingspan. the fuselage length is within 1 or 2" of the wingspan of the model..

If you are cautious during the building of the weight and use the lightest balsa you can get, and lighten up the bulkheads and wing ribs as much as possible, you should be fine with the weight.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:14 AM
jasona

I was wondering if Jai Young Shim still reads this thread?

If so, what are you up to these days Jai? How is your Tomcat going? Had many flights?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
bdazzcamro

how is the inches right for your 1/9 1/8 and 1/7 scale numbers right when fly eagles 1/7.5 scale is already "83? That cant be right can it?

David Swanson
Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: bdazzcamro

how is the inches right for your 1/9 1/8 and 1/7 scale numbers right when fly eagles 1/7.5 scale is already ''83? That cant be right can it?

David Swanson
Fejs is. 100 inch wingspan, 103 inch length..... not 83"
Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 PM
bdazzcamro

MY BAD!!!!! got my conversion wrong.