Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SKymaster F-86(no pilot) power by TJ100(not a turbine sound) electric power maiden flight video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SKymaster F-86(no pilot) power by TJ100(not a turbine sound) electric power maiden flight video

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SKymaster F-86(no pilot) power by TJ100(not a turbine sound) electric power maiden flight video

Kryptonic,

Where do you get this stuff from?? How do you post the clips? That's hilarious!

Marm,

Ha! So you finally come clean? Yeah, you had us ALL fooled! Why don't you post the posts in question so your adoring fans can read you fooling me for themselves? LOL.... And, uhh.... GW is a friend, but he doesn't need my input on you. He can read, and I think he knows a clown when he hears one...

Over and out on this silliness!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Kriptonic69
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: SKymaster F-86(no pilot) power by TJ100(not a turbine sound) electric power maiden flight video

I have my sources, I will not disclose my trade secrets
Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
marm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well cant come completely clean cause then we wouldn't have the opportunity to re-remind everyone of an awesome setup every so many months. You know where you go hey! thats a pitcture of someones plane that thing was not built nor flown cause its a turbine owned and built by someone else years ago, and I go oh then whats flying in this awesome video! Thanks again!

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/TJ100...F-16-video-wmv
Old 07-12-2009, 11:49 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Classic, Blah, Blah, and Blah Blah some more.... [X(]

Keep doing what you do Tam. That sabre flys saweeet....... Don't pay the knuckleheads on this thread any mind. Sooner rather than later, all of the wanna be, non flying, so called electron experts will fade away as they usually do!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Classic, Blah, Blah, and Blah Blah some more.... [X(]

Keep doing what you do Tam. That sabre flys saweeet....... Don't pay the knuckleheads on this thread any mind. Sooner rather than later, all of the wanna be, non flying, so called electron experts will fade away as they usually do!!!

Duky,
I know...when I was out there flying non stop demo my products at the show. Where is all this guys?
Sure they had a lot to said behide the keyboard.
You know what? Let them.
Their are my best audience. Without them. This thread stay cold.
Let see if their can figure out what this photo mean.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38473.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1235138  
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

Its no secret that I am not a big edf fan, just not my thing that's all. But I saw Tam fly his F-86 today at our airshow and I do have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the performance........even with Tam flying it!!
The F-86 took off with lots of authority, and flew pretty damn fast....If I wasn't already cued up to fly a turbine in the show, I was going to ask Tam to let me fly it. Good job Tam, that's a pretty good size plane to have such good performance on electric power.
Let me say again that I have zero experience with these things and do not know if this is normal or not, just a turbine guy saying how impressive Tam's plane was today at the show.
So for any of you out there talking smack over a video, I was there and saw this plane fly in person. Its a very nice ride, with pretty damn good performance.
Dave
Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Kriptonic69

Dave really hates Vaccum Cleaners, He give me $#!% about my Klingon Bird of Prey... wait till you see my Mig-29 Dave, you'll heckle the crap out of this one. Hopefully the Heineken scheme comes out looking half decent at least.

Gene
Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 AM
tamjets

Dave,
If wasn't in a hurry to bring the kids home for their cousin birthday party. I hang around and give you a few laps. But you let daddy land.[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-13-2009, 04:54 PM
j.duncker

Default RE: [Deleted]

I have reopened this thread as it is of interest to those of us who fly jets. Please keep the posts on the topic raised in the first post.

PLEASE DO NOT ADD OFF TOPIC REMARKS OR ATTACK OTHER RCU MEMBERS.

J.Duncker Jet Mod
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
jfetter

I'd like to ask what happened to several posts that were in this thread and now are gone? I understand profanity or something inapropriate but why is this thread being given an extra level of consideration? I read the original posts and there was nothing in them that would normally be flagged, I'd like to understand what has changed around here where certain comments can now be REMOVED from a thread because someone didn't like the content? This will make it hard to audit in the future if stuff just goes missing, there's not even a blank post where it was...

Jack
Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
jfetter

Moderator,

Why are you arbitrarily deleting posts from this forum? I've never seen this kind of behavior on these forums where someone just removes a posting without explanation or (IMO) cause. I'd very much appreciate an explanation why this thread is being treated in a "special" way, I know of at least 3 posts that were simply deleted with no explanation. I contribute, have build threads and as a contributing member I'd like to understand what has happened to RCU where this is allowed to happen with no audit or explanation at all?

Jack
Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 PM
j.duncker

Moderator,

Why are you arbitrarily deleting posts from this forum? I've never seen this kind of behavior on these forums where someone just removes a posting without explanation or (IMO) cause. I'd very much appreciate an explanation why this thread is being treated in a "special" way, I know of at least 3 posts that were simply deleted with no explanation. I contribute, have build threads and as a contributing member I'd like to understand what has happened to RCU where this is allowed to happen with no audit or explanation at all?

Jack
Generally I will always PM the post owner if I delete a post giving a reason. If it is an obviously off topic or pointless flame of another member by a member who has had several posts already deleted with notifications then they might not get another one.

However if the poster is not one of the usual suspects then I will always PM them referring them to the section of our forum rules which they infringed.

I van not speak for all moderators but it is part of our normal practice. However there is an issue at the moment with the system which automates this process and it makes getting to the pm stage a long winded one. So I apologise on behalf of RCU.

PS SPELLCHECK IS DONW AG WEL!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM
cajet
My Feedback: (10)

Okay so I flew this F-86 many times this weekend at the Oakdale e-Jet rally on Saturday.

Here is the summary:
For any of you that have flown an F-86 it flies just like an f-86 but extra light on the sticks. (if you have never flown a F-86 its a must) In other words, it is a dream to fly. Super stable, no tail waggle, rolls beautifully, lands like butter...
As far as power with Tams setup, it is plenty of power. As a matter of fact, I am not sure if I would want a lighter weight version. The takeoff, and climb is perfect for a scale jet. The one thing that the a lighter weight version would give you is the ability to go from level flight and enter a giant loop without having to flatten out at the top. As a matter of fact, I am now convinced that this plane will fly nicely with a P-60. I asked Tam to order me a light weight one with Tams lightweight mods and I will make it set up to be able to swap between turbine and electric power plants. The electric flight performance is good enough to warrant a dual set up. For jet rallies I would go turbine for gas and go.. for my lazy outings since i don't have much time to fly anymore electric is nice and convenient. That is hard for me to say since I have 7 turbine jets and no electrics so far. I just don't like electrics that much but this combination is really fun.

I also would say this would make a great first jet as a dual setup. My first jet was a BVM F-86 with BVM 91 & fan which was soooo much fun at the time and served as a great first jet.

Hope this helps, I don't know anything about electric but I do know what a good plane and power to weight ratio is. I just know that Eddie P and I flew this thing non stop all day in 104 deg weather, 12-15mph wind, slightly crossed and bad thermal turbulence and the plane was rock solid. Thumbs up for plane and power plant.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jimmy! You both flew that F-86 like it was an old friend, it's dialed in for sure. First off I was shocked when you guys offered to let me have some stick time on her. The thing about me and OPP (other people's planes) is I tend to shy away from it just because I don't want to put a scratch on them. But after some badgering I thought, "what the heck am I saying, of course I'm gonna fly it!" For sure, the stick time on Tam's conversion of Skymaster's new F-86 was one the of the best RC experiences for me this year. It was just a treat to fly. Dave P, you are gonna have to get some stick time on Tam's or the So Cal Skymaster guy's ride this weekend at LA Jets. It's really a sweet machine!

As soon as I was airborne it felt so smooth. All I can say is when I dreamed of flying jets, before I flew jets, in my mind I imagined them flying like this one. Like Jimmy said, it was getting hot late in the day, the thermal activity and rotors off one side of the runway were making more appearances and some jets were seeing some occasional air beatings but the F-86 just rode right through it like a Turbo Land Rover. It needed hardly any thumb trickery to track straight. I kept thinking I was going to have to use some sort of extra rudder in rolls, over the top reversals and other aerobatics or think about extra momentum in recoveries but it was just so smooth and stable, I was able to fly and enjoy watching this Sabre do it's thing with minimal thinking. It just did what I wanted it to do, and was nicely predictable without being mushy or on the other hand too twitchy. Hats off to Skymaster, this model seems to have been dialed in at the factory in terms of airfoil, stability and control, control throws, CG, etc. It also looks amazingly well built and finely finished.

The power setup Tam has is a good balance of thrust, duration, exhaust velocity and moderately light weight giving just the right wing loading on Skymaster's rig. The batteries were not hot after flight and there was so much room in the fuse, components had a little room to breathe and hands had room to get in there and work. Short field ops would not be a problem, the thing settles in the pattern and landing like what I see in the Skygate Hawk - never flown one I'll admit, but it has that sort of majestic presence and stability in the slot when you watch it do it's thing. Having flown EDF for 10 years and turbine for only three, I've tended to gravitate more toward turbine in recent years as I've been completely hooked by flame throwers. But I'll have to admit, this F-86 has been the first single engine project since I've gone turbine that I'm thinking I really like the idea of EDF. I think Jimmy has a good idea on a dual setup - I hadn't thought of that as an option before. There are times I'd like to be able to fly EDF (dry, windy, fire hazard), and times I just need the cry of the wild flaming turbojet.

Like I told Tam the other day, "Thanks man, that thing flies amazing. Now I have to sell a jet! Yeah, THANKS!"
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Tam,

Very nice video.

I am new to Jets (I fly IMAC 40%ers 90% of the time.) Having flown my Spark powered by TJ100 on 10s 20c and 30c packs about 8 times now I am very happy with Tam's products! I have no idea what you guys are talking about with noise. They sound high-pitched in the videos but in real life I hardly hear it unless I fly by. On a fly by you hear it a bit but it sounds cool to me. Turbines sound cool too but so loud on a fly by it isn't even funny. We may like it but there are not too many fields you can fly from without complaints. The EDF is so quiet compared to even a quiet gasser... I really like the convenience of my EDF and the 10s packs can be shared with my 2M pattern plane.

Anyway - I want to do a smallish jet for Scalemasters next year. I have a P-47 under construction and an ME109 to start but these will take a couple more years to finish. I wil use those in Expert some day... but for fun next year I am thinking of doing an F-86... either a BVM or Skymaster ARF and detailing it further. I can fly an ARF in Open or Advanced. I am interested in the detail/finish of the BVM vs. the Skymaster. I'm not expecting it to be perfect - you have to build for that but I am looking for something decent that will do okay at local events. I'm guessing the BVM outline is good - but what about the Skymaster?

I am also interested if the TJ100 on 10s/11s 5000mah can give me realistic ground handling. I find I can be realistic with the Spark on taxiing but it definately takes work to make it behave like a real turbine and you are for sure on and off the throttle a lot.

I plan to fly from grass too... likely with 11s or 12s. How is the BVM gear vs. Skymaster for durability and realism? Do I need a lighter gear for EDF use or did you use stock gear?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

If you really want a scale guys opinion on the Skymaster F-86 contact Gerry Kerr, Jr. (his online name is smokin-gun). He competed in Top Gun two years ago with the Skymaster F-86. He will be able to tell you what mods he made in order to get the Skymaster F-86 competiton ready. As fas as the BVM F-86, it has competed and done very well in many Top Gun amd Scale Master competitions.

Kirk
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
crhammond

Thank you Kirk
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 AM
tamjets

Chris,
You go to love this F-86. Specially with the light weight version. You can scale it out and still end up lighter than stock turbine kit I'm convert to EDF.
With the 10s 5000mAh 40C cell. It push this plane around with scale speed and light wing loading.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:15 AM
crhammond

Thanks Tam - I'm super excited about it especially since it is in Golden Hawk colors. It will be some work to scale it out but I think its going to be awesome. EDF power will be just right and very scale in flight. Should be a fun project this fall/winter I emailed Glennis about wheels and will figure out something for the nose gear. I got some close ups of the air brake aera, nose etc... lots of pictures out there for these airplanes.

I saw the 100th anniversary GH this past week in Airdie Alberta flying with the Snowbirds. The timing is perfect
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19892.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1245580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27258.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1245581  
Old 07-29-2009, 01:49 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: crhammond

Thanks Tam - I'm super excited about it especially since it is in Golden Hawk colors. It will be some work to scale it out but I think its going to be awesome. EDF power will be just right and very scale in flight. Should be a fun project this fall/winter I emailed Glennis about wheels and will figure out something for the nose gear. I got some close ups of the air brake aera, nose etc... lots of pictures out there for these airplanes.

I saw the 100th anniversary GH this past week in Airdie Alberta flying with the Snowbirds. The timing is perfect

My timing get you to drop your wallet also perfect too.............[sm=lol.gif]
I need to built another one for myself. You just help me fund some of it. Now I need to get Eddie to drop his wallet and Tres to pull the trigger.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:33 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch bro, I heard that! My wallet just tried to walk away, it must have heard you too [:-]