Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Chris's Nano Build UPDATE First Flights

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Chris's Nano Build UPDATE First Flights

Old 09-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chris's Nano Build UPDATE First Flights

Thanks for the comments. Will other turbines have this issue? I can't say. Alan's P-60 powered prototype did not as far as I know. It puts out more power than mine. But, my T-500 is older technology and may be less efficient than a P-60. I don't know.

In the past, other guys have modified Baby Boomers/Intros and some Sprints with supplemental intakes. I wonder if the true problems were airflow issues like mine rather than not enough intake area.

At least if you have airflow problems you can try what I did before hacking up the airframe. I can't imageine running an MW44 will be any problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36080.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1276991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12504.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1276992  
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Baby Boomerang had microscopic intakes compared to the Sprint/Nano type...I had no problems with my Wren 54 with those small scoops.

That problem may have surface because it was a static run... once the jet starts moving, the dynamics will change........ However, good piece of detective work!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 AM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

Chris,

I am happy that we thought of the F-15 piece (I am sorry that John and Don had to sacrifice their F-15 for the Nano).

Good Luck with the Nano, I know the Boomerangs are not very "sexy", but they do fly well.

Sometimes it’s nice to just put your planes away for the week without having to make repairs before the next flight.

I hope you can make Illini Jets Oct 1st-4th.

John
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Roger Shipley
My Feedback: (35)

It's quick, very quick....delighted it worked out for you Chris.....a pause for thought does help, huh? GO ARMY ! ! !
Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 AM
av8rk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My P-60 powered Nano is fine.........37 flights on it and no hint of any problem such as you describe......Sounds like it may be a condition specific to the T-500 turbine.....

Richard
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a suggestion, but could this be due to the altitude/density altitude or temprature of where you fly? would be interesting to do a comparison.

On further reflection different compressor shapes will also demand different airflow charateristics into the front of the turbine, the swirl pattern will change according to the shape of the front bezel this could all have an effect as well.

Mike
Old 09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Turbinac

The Nano was at Jetpower in Germany and was much admired, to judge by the number of kits happy customers walked away with!!

Have a look.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhJeH5Wqh8]Nano at Jetpower 2009.[/link]