Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetCat P70 Strip

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetCat P70 Strip

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Turbiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JetCat P70 Strip

When the bearings became noisy on my P70 I decided to replace them myself. I am no expert on turbines, but I have built a Wren kit and have 20 years experience of model engines. The strip is not difficult. I have just a few tips and info.

Make sure you have a very clean workspace before you start.
Take photos as you take it apart, this will help when you rebuild.
Mark the positions of the compressor and turbine wheels and replace them in the same position.
The mainshaft nuts are both left hand thread.
Probably the most difficult part to remove is the turbine wheel, it is very tight, you will need a press or some kind of puller to remove it.
When replacing the turbine wheel on the shaft I suggest you put the mainshaft in the fridge for a couple hours and heat up the turbine wheel, this way it will fit very easily.
Note the which way around the bearings are, the preload has to be applied on the correct side of the bearing.

If anyone has rebuilt a JetCat, maybe they could add some useful tips or info.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73853.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1263633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93299.jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1263634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82734.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1263635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19795.jpg
Views:	2145
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1263636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd44259.jpg
Views:	1533
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1263637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16885.jpg
Views:	1895
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1263638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy49217.jpg
Views:	5976
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1263639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az86559.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1263640  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nm91096.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1263641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32548.jpg
Views:	1710
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1263642  
Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: JetCat P70 Strip

ORIGINAL: Turbiner

When the bearings became noisy on my P70 I decided to replace them myself. I am no expert on turbines, but I have built a Wren kit and have 20 years experience of model engines. The strip is not difficult. I have just a few tips and info.

Mark the positions of the compressor and turbine wheels and replace them in the same position.
Probably the most difficult part to remove is the turbine wheel, it is very tight, you will need a press or some kind of puller to remove it.
When replacing the turbine wheel on the shaft I suggest you put the mainshaft in the fridge for a couple hours and heat up the turbine wheel, this way it will fit very easily.
Note the which way around the bearings are, the preload has to be applied on the correct side of the bearing.

Hey Turbinator, very interesting post

Please post more pictures about the assemblying.

How did you take out the turbine wheel? I mean where did yo place the extractor legs? In the bearing? Because I think there is no space for placing the extractor legs between the bearing and the turbine wheel.

Is not better to remove the turbine wheel if you place all the assembly (turbine wheel and shaft) in the fridge? When a shaft is freezed its diameter will be reduced and when the turbine wheel is freezed, do the shaft hole be enlarged? Doesn't a hole circular walls be contracted increasing the hole diameter when freezed instead of heated?

Do you have both nuts tightening torque?

Guillermo

Guillermo
Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem with turbine stripping is:
1. how to position the bearings in the correct manner so that they will not come out
2. balance the rotors properly (preferably assembled). I have not, as yet, seen any available good home balancer for the do-it-yourself type of person.

Reuben
Old 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM
simon1

WOW, a man on a mission! So far its almost the way I did it. A couple of pointers tho, just before you pull the combustion chamber off the fuel manifold, with a felt pen just mark on the Diffuser the position of the glow plug hole, that mean when you put it all back together the combustion chamber is in the right orrentation. Another pointer is when you slide the combustion chamber back over the fuel manifold, just have a look down the burner tubes to make sure all the injectors are seated in the tubes, as it quite easy to miss, and they will be in the heart of the C Chamber which you dont want.
I always just put a drop of neat turbine oil on each bearing once they are reseated on the shaft, the rear bearing will be starved of oil until the mist works its way down the tunnel when the turbine is started for the first time. Not sure if its needed, but it cant hurt.

Keep it up, we may start a revolution.

Regards Simon
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM
frema

He Turbiner.
I stripped several p80 engines ,and p60 and p60se , and many many more.

The only thing you have to be carefull with is the feulring at the back of the diffusor.

When you take this out , there is an oring , and when thats damaged , you have a leak.
So you have to be very carefull with what you do.

I never saw a p70 engines from inside ,thank you for that.

I never knew the p70 was the only one who has the radial diffusor.
The p60se got the normal axial radial diff ,and also the p80 got it.
I have a very special p60se , because it was the first one with the machined compressor.

You did the right thing about replacing the bearings.
I also use a press to press the turbine wheel from the shaft.

and when i replace it ,i just heat op the turbine wheel.
With the compressor i do the same, heating up the compressor for a few seconds , and it falls of , and when replacing heat , and then push on the shaft , you have a few seconds time to set it on the marking ,and then you cant move it , just place the spinnernut , and finished.
i am building engines from 2000 ,and i develop small and big one ,and also build my one kj66 turbo prop and and the smallest turbo prop in the world (65mm).

Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM
frema

Oh just forgot to ask you , what is the size of the turbine wheel and compressor?

Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 AM
Xairflyer

Great stuff Turbiner this is what we want

ORIGINAL: F86_SABRE
2. balance the rotors properly (preferably assembled). I have not, as yet, seen any available good home balancer for the do-it-yourself type of person.

Reuben
If you mark the shaft, compressor & turbine wheels you should not need to balance, even if the shaft and wheels have been re balanced on a balancer, you still need to remove the compressor wheel again to assemble the engine.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Xairflyer

How is the combustion chamber attached to the diffusor
Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 AM
simon1

Hi, it doesn't , there is a lone socket bolt on the bottom of the turbine case which goes into a small bracket on the C chamber, and it slots on the ngv on the back.
Regards Simon
Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: frema

I am building engines from 2000 ,and i develop small and big one ,and also build my one kj66 turbo prop and and the smallest turbo prop in the world (65mm).

Start a thread with More information and Pictures of your Micro Turbo Prop.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great thread....

At least some of us dismistifying the turbine top secret expensive world
Old 08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Xairflyer

Please start new threads for each turbine strip, this can be a P70 one, If we keep to the same titles e.g. "Simjet 2300 Strip" they will be easy to keep track of over time, once there is a good number we can start another thread with all the links to each of them so in a few years time they will be easily found by people.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Turbiner

ORIGINAL: frema

Oh just forgot to ask you , what is the size of the turbine wheel and compressor?

The compressor and turbine wheels on the P70 are 66mm. Same as the old KJ66.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Gerald Rutten

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The compressor and turbine wheels on the P70 are 66mm. Same as the old KJ66.
Hmmm..., very interesting!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Turbiner

The bearings are lubricated via a T in the fuel supply, the arrow shows a small needle inside the tube which, I guess, meters the supply. Not sure on the best way to check that this is working properly, as it is a very small needle, a spek of dirt would block it. Shows the importance of good fuel filtering.

Name:	Ki18751.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1264174  
Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Xairflyer

Yes it is just a restrictor to limit the flow, some just have a simple hypo needle pushed into the oil pipe.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM
JetCatJimmy

So this needle will lubricate both front and rear? Interesting! This is a great thread by the way!!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 PM
JetCatJimmy

What do you mean by the mist working its way down the tunnel? You're talking about the kero mist flowing along the turbine shaft?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:33 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Careful, there is a filter in that sliver tube. If you pull the 4 mm tube off the downstream end of the filter, you have to be incredibly careful when you put it back on. If you get any dirt on that side it can clog the oil feed to the bearings!

The P-70 is a diametrical shrink of the P-80, just as the P-180 is a shrink of the P-200.

When you mark the rotating parts to put them back together remember that you need to account for the relative motion you will get when tightening the nuts. If you have access to a balancer, you really should balance the whole turbine as a completed assembly when you are done.

Good luck, the pictures look great BTW!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Turbiner

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Careful, there is a filter in that sliver tube. If you pull the 4 mm tube off the downstream end of the filter, you have to be incredibly careful when you put it back on. If you get any dirt on that side it can clog the oil feed to the bearings!

The P-70 is a diametrical shrink of the P-80, just as the P-180 is a shrink of the P-200.

When you mark the rotating parts to put them back together remember that you need to account for the relative motion you will get when tightening the nuts. If you have access to a balancer, you really should balance the whole turbine as a completed assembly when you are done.

Good luck, the pictures look great BTW!
Appreciate your input Matt. I see what you mean about the lubrication tube.
It would certainly be ideal to balance the shaft as a complete assembly after the turbine is built, however, I am not sure what system is used to do this?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Turbiner

Thought I would mention bearings and where to get them. For the P70 you need Full complement 608 size Silicon Nitride Ceramic Bearings 8 X 22 X 7.

In the UK, you can get them from http://jmprecision.co.uk/index.php?pr=Home_Page @ £39.50 a pair you wont get them cheaper, however they do look a bit different from the original German ones (photo), I have fitted these in mine and wait to see how long they last.

Wren Turbines http://wrenturbines.co.uk/ also have them listed @ £52 each, these are GRW German bearings and might be a better quality.

In the US, Flightworks inc http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT103531/sc.1/.f also list GRW bearings @ $85.95 each.

Also Boca Bearings http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...&pg=10&mfr=306 also GRW bearings @ $94.95 each.

It is also advisable to replace the pre-load washers which are also available from JM Precision.

The bearing on the left is the original JetCat and the other one is from JM Precision.

Name:	Yv66045.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1264200  
Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 PM
simon1

Here is a picture of the the little bracket that the socket head bolt screws into. This is the P80, but sure its the same on the P70.
The 2nd picture is the back of the C Chamber that sit in the NGV to keep it all secure.
[img][/img][img][/img]

Name:	Xv63415.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1264217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46237.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1264218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22736.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1264219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27993.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1264220  
Old 11-21-2009, 09:35 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

US bearing cost $170, hopefully the engine is correct when completed.

Jetcat USA does the job for $250 parts included.

hmmmm, I think I will continue to send the motor to Jetcat USA. But this is an interesting thread.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: quist
hmmmm, I think I will continue to send the motor to Jetcat USA. But this is an interesting thread.

Dad always told me, "Always take your car to the dealer", but he never did. [sm=biggrin.gif] So after watchin him and learning how to work on cars including tearing down and rebuilding a 400 big block on my first car, that's all I do these days; Is take em back to the dealer.

1st, because at least I have a warranty afterwards. [sm=shades_smile.gif]

and

2nd, cause I just don't like getting my hands dirty anymore.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:16 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

Turbiner,
Thanks for the photos of the P70.[sm=thumbup.gif]
One question, how difficult was the rear bearing to remove from the bearing tunnel?
Thanks,
Johnny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.