Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Phantom Facelift

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Phantom Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Phantom Facelift

Dan had no idea it was on the fej website.I told him after the fact.Also,you being a moderator and all,what in the world do Dante,Monica,and Camlex have to do with Dan's phantom restoration,the topic of this thread?

Erik
Old 11-12-2009, 05:46 PM
ace-RCU
My Feedback: (226)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: drdoom

It has been on the Fly Eagle F-4 Pix for 3 months...

Also I give 5 stars for Dante and Monica at Camlex... Great Peep's... Over the top.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 PM
SPLIT S

And the left top is mostly stripped... time to flip and get to the bottom. As far as FEJ goes..well good for them. Not sure what you meant by the "it's been on their site" comment. I get to flex my painting skills for a friend and give him one badass Phantom, that's good enough for me.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37955.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1313195  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go git 'em. We're watching.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

And the left top is mostly stripped... time to flip and get to the bottom. As far as FEJ goes..well good for them. Not sure what you meant by the ''it's been on their site'' comment. I get to flex my painting skills for a friend and give him one badass Phantom, that's good enough for me.

Dan
What did you use to strip that paint off? Looks pretty clean.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:37 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

And the left top is mostly stripped... time to flip and get to the bottom. As far as FEJ goes..well good for them. Not sure what you meant by the ''it's been on their site'' comment. I get to flex my painting skills for a friend and give him one badass Phantom, that's good enough for me.

Dan
What did you use to strip that paint off? Looks pretty clean.
Citri-strip... Stufff is awesome!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 AM
SPLIT S

Yep - Citri Strip. A little slower than the regular strippers I use for cars and the like but does work great. Keep the room a little on the warmer side and it tends to work even better (faster)

Dan
Old 11-13-2009, 01:11 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erik R

ORIGINAL: Hinckley Bill

Chances are if you've given pics of this scheme to anyone in the far east it won't be long before some version, however weak, will be showing up as a new scheme........!!!!

FEM is in response to this...

Countrboy mentioned Camlex. and So I had had excellent service from those people and thought I mention it.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:59 PM
SPLIT S

Stabs stripped, sanded and ready for their new coat of primer. Found alot of pinholes, taken care of with FIB421 easy sand polyester glaze. K36 is the primer of choice.

Dan

Name:	Vt57135.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1313562  
Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
SPLIT S

Turbine hatch stripped. Can't say enough about this Citra Strip stuff. It's taken 2 quarts to get everything this far. Started working on the wing tips, smaller so I decided to sand the paint off. Jet is flipped, about 3/4 way through stripping that. So far, so good.....

Dan

Name:	Ki20642.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1314800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77431.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1314801  
Old 11-19-2009, 09:10 PM
SPLIT S

All of the chemical stripping is finished. The bottom went pretty quick, only a couple of nights work. Cleaned up the workshop a bit and back to it. The surface was well neutralized to take care of any remaining stripper and dried. Stubborn paint spots that just didn't want to strip were removed by razor. Sanding would have taken them off too but the paint left behind gets a bit rubbery. Chews up paper and can lead to a*s*o*e marks that you just have to deal with later. All that is left is to finish removing the filler that still remains and we can start the prep for finish. Some mods are going to be made first involving the canopy and a few other items. Now is the chance to make it what he wants.

Dan

Name:	Jg13939.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1317194  
Old 11-20-2009, 12:17 AM
timrob

I second that for Citri-Strip. Awesome stuff. And supposed to be "environmentally friendly". Not as caustic as other strippers. You can control exactly how much comes off - and use it multiple times. And available in Australia (I got mine at Bunnings).

Tim
Old 11-24-2009, 07:39 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the latest issue of Jet Power magazine has given your scheme a little coverage (2 pages). [8D]
Old 11-24-2009, 09:18 PM
SPLIT S

Thanks for the heads up. Have to look for that, all the more info the better.

Meanwhile, we're still working on getting every last bit of paint, primer, putty and some stuff I don't recognize off. It's going very well, I like to work from as clean a canvas as possible. Another night or so up top then I'll take care of the remainder of the bottom. Didn't get as far as I wanted to this weekend, had to have my cat's left eye removed Saturday. Yes, read that again. Saturday morning did not go anything even close to as I had planned. Wife is still traumatized, and I spent the equivalent of a YA F18 twin kit putting her back together. Part of the family though.....

Dan

Name:	Mk25750.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1320093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70495.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1320094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26971.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1320095  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM
SPLIT S

Finally finished all of the stripping late last week. Time for some construction. The first item was to construct a nose plate where none had been before and to come up with a better, more secure and trouble free way to mount the nose cone. Originally the nose was attached with screws around the edge. At some point in the past a strap was made so the nose was secured with a bolt. I designed a tray that incorporates the nose attachment. The new assembly is secured to the forward bulkhead with four screws so if Billy has to get in there at some point in the future he will be able to. Built from light ply, sturdy but light.

Dan

Name:	Ki19042.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1326133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35241.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1326134  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 PM
SPLIT S

This is the strap that was there originally to secure the nose....

Name:	Us53226.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1326135  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 PM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

Finally finished all of the stripping late last week. Time for some construction. The first item was to construct a nose plate where none had been before and to come up with a better, more secure and trouble free way to mount the nose cone. Originally the nose was attached with screws around the edge. At some point in the past a strap was made so the nose was secured with a bolt. I designed a tray that incorporates the nose attachment. The new assembly is secured to the forward bulkhead with four screws so if Billy has to get in there at some point in the future he will be able to. Built from light ply, sturdy but light.

Dan
Wow! Great idea and design.....
Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 PM
SPLIT S

Time for some major surgery. The canopy was secured by ten screws. Needless to say that's a pain to deal with and just looks wrong. The plan is to make the canopy into a hatch making access to the new install simple and easy. The existing canopy is in nice shape except for the ten screw holes so it was decided to move forward with what we have. The first order of business is to remove the recessed flange from the fuse that the canopy sat in. I taped the edge for a guide and used my Dremel with a cut off wheel in it. Just like taking the quarter panel off a car. After removing the glass piece I cleaned up the edge in preparation for the next steps. A rear bulkhead and the sill plates will be made to build the frame into which the hatch will sit. The forward part of the opening sits exactly where a bulkhead already exists. The canopy frame will be built directly over top to ensure a perfect mate. The canopy will then be attached to it's new frame, all the holes will be taken care of then. Two pins up front, a hatch latch in the rear and some rail guides will be added to the bottom of the canopy frame to engage slots in the fuse sill plates. The second pic shows the canopy sitting in the freshly cut opening, no distortion from the cut. No turning back now Billy! BTW, I need that hatch latch pretty soon...

Dan

Name:	Db85228.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1326139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94711.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1326140  
Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM
kberk222

very nice dan, but anyone who knows you knows you except nothing less than perfection. keep up the good work berk.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
SPLIT S

Rear former for the canopy hatch frame is in...

Name:	Bz76773.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1327468  
Old 12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
SPLIT S

Now to start the sill plates. A piece of balsa is tacked to the edge, then sanded to the fuse contour. This gives me the pattern for the actual part.

Name:	Li21202.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1327498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13771.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1327499  
Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
SPLIT S

The actual sill plate is here shown tacked in to check for fit. Canopy is in place to check that the contour has not changed. So far, so good. Now the piece gets duplicated for the left side.

Name:	Yw67097.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1327500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89016.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1327501  
Old 12-05-2009, 05:59 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Glad to see this. I'm going to do this same process on a different jet of mine and its good to see how a pro does it first.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
SPLIT S

The rest of the sill is complete. Both sides sit nice and even with one another. I'll flip the jet over and reinforce the sill to fuse seam a bit, then it's off to start the canopy frame itself.

Dan

Name:	Da83503.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1328113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89339.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1328114  
Old 12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
SPLIT S

Removed the tape, cleaned and trued up all the edges of the sill. The fuse is nice and solid again, tomorrow I'll start the canopy frame. In the meantime it's off to help my wife decorate the Christmas tree.... wonder if Santa is stopping by Horizon, or JetCat, or BVM this year.....

Dan

Name:	Fc90375.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1328435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32264.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1328436  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.