Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter

Radio Shack has the stick on 4 point tie downs also.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

I am using a Tamjets Thrust Tube for my Rabbit equipped Flash. After attaching the carbon bellmouth and postioning it flush with the front edge of Bulkhead F6, I find that the tube is about 1/4 inch short of the recommended exit position on the exhaust nozzle. The recommended position is for the outer tube to rest 0 to 1mm inside the exhaust nozzle. Mine now rests 1/4 inside the exaust nozzle.

Will this installation cause a problem? If so, I believe I could shorten the exhaust nozzle by almost 1/4 inch and probably wouldn't alter the looks or performance of the plane much.

Opinions or recommendations.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sailing1

I am using a Tamjets Thrust Tube for my Rabbit equipped Flash. After attaching the carbon bellmouth and postioning it flush with the front edge of Bulkhead F6, I find that the tube is about 1/4 inch short of the recommended exit position on the exhaust nozzle. The recommended position is for the outer tube to rest 0 to 1mm inside the exhaust nozzle. Mine now rests 1/4 inside the exaust nozzle.

Will this installation cause a problem? If so, I believe I could shorten the exhaust nozzle by almost 1/4 inch and probably wouldn't alter the looks or performance of the plane much.

Opinions or recommendations.

the inner tube (attached to the bellmouth) should be shorter at the exhaust cone then the outer tube (attached to the former and adjustable via the mounting tabs). that's what causes the venturi effect and cools the pipe.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Carsten Is your servo wires up on one multiplex plug? or is there two? how do you have that wired with 4 servos...?
goose,
yes, there is only one multiplex plug. I have all the positive and all the negatives wires (4 each) connected to two pins, the 4 signal wires each have one single pin in the connector.
As I don't use any "powerbox-type" receiver (as f.ex the Weatronic 12-22 etc), I can live with that the power to the servos are connected together.
I use a "simple" receiver with a normal powerbus (Weatronic Micro 12)

In other installations, if for example using a powerbox or one of the Weatronic "big" receivers, this is not a good idea as the individual servo outputs have their "own" secure powersupply, and if they were connected (parallelled) in a common connector, the idea of redundancy of the receiver/powerbox would be gone
Old 12-19-2009, 10:39 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Flash arrived the other day safe and sound. I put everything to the side till after the holidays.

I also may have found a cockpit for a yellow F-16 that I hope will fit. I am waiting to hear back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63173.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1337558  
Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Merry Christmas Pete, it looks like Santa came through and you will have another project
Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

I just got a new Flash and I have seen crow settings on ailerons any where from 3mm to 13mm what are most of you running? Aileron up and flap down setting? Thanks George
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Merry Christmas Pete, it looks like Santa came through and you will have another project
Thanks You too.. Yea he came alittle early now IF I can get the kids presents out of the work shop I can start building
Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 PM
SinCityJets

Pete,

Glad to see you got another one! Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Chad
Old 12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
RCISFUN

George, see post #16 of this thread
Old 12-19-2009, 05:34 PM
gooseF22

Attaboy Pete!! good building...

The new Wren 160 Projet found a new home today. I test ran it on the stand at Wren USA today... SWEET... purs like a kitty...roars like a tiger... plenty thrust, excellent response, perfect start ,perfect run, first time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99860.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1337832  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 PM
aquaskiman

RCISFUN I looked at that. He runs his aileron at 3mm up. That is the least I have seen and have seen listed all the way up to 13mm. So that is why I asked. Here is another one I have seen in the( Flash best sports jet ever forum).
Thanks George

Flash set up
My flash settings are as follows:

CG with gear down, UAT full = 365mm from rear of tip tank

All measurments taken from inboard edge of surface.

Aileron up 7/16" down 1/2" 35% expo
Elev 7/8" up 7/8" down 25% expo
rudder 2" left/right 15% expo
Flap 5/8" take-off 1-5/8" landing
Crow (ail) 1/2" up

No elev trim required with full flap and crow
Old 12-19-2009, 06:07 PM
gooseF22

ON the Crow.

I recommend you use one of the three position switches and put them at zero, 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch. THat way you can take out if you dont like it and work up to it. With the big ailerons, a little should go a long way. It also may be affected by your CG. The further back, the more effective Crow is..

It think it will be preference... If you use alot of crow, the nose will be up and some guys dont like it that nose high because its easy to set up a too large sink rate end game. I am one of those... Others like it because they can set up a sweet nose high and set it right down.

Basically if you are a dive and flare or a ride the nose high..
Old 12-20-2009, 05:50 AM
aquaskiman

Thanks Goose that is what I will do. George
Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 AM
gooseF22

Also, if you are flying at higher altitudes, your approach airspeed will be higher, and at hi alpha, its easier to set up a high sink rate. I noticed it before when I flew once out in nevada.. So thats why I only use enough crow on any model to give me a slight nose up attitude so that I can touch the mains and hold it with the nose off.. I would bet that RIch is the same, which is why he uses only 3mm. Just enough to get the nose up a bit..

Because I dont like the extreme hi alpha approaches personally, I have a hard time with the rookie.

Its funny though, I flew the F-16 and landed high alpha most of my life... sure is different from the ground..
Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 PM
aquaskiman

Goose I fly at 5800 ft, so I will start with a little and work up. The jets are hard to slow up at this alt. BV came to one of our jet flys years ago with ducted fans and had a hard time keeping the planes on the runway. I see most are running 30 to 40mm flap. Thanks George
Old 12-21-2009, 09:17 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: aquaskiman

Goose I fly at 5800 ft, so I will start with a little and work up. The jets are hard to slow up at this alt. BV came to one of our jet flys years ago with ducted fans and had a hard time keeping the planes on the runway. I see most are running 30 to 40mm flap. Thanks George
Yep, I certainly believe it.. THe true airspeed goes up with altitude. And with thinner air, its harder to also use drag to slow down. THats why you see longer runways up that way at altitudes for full scale.. Its really a big deal in the full scale world..
Old 12-21-2009, 01:32 PM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine set up with 10mm crow and 30mm flap in landing config, I think it gives the flash a perfect slight nose up attitude for landing, yes you will now have to control the sink rate with thrust but this way the speed remains constant on finals. Well may be using the Wren 160 makes life easier to control the sink rate.
Goose 22 any difference you found with the Wren 160 from the FADEC compared to the new Projet if you have used one with the FADEC.

Chaitanya.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: c_makhija

I have mine set up with 10mm crow and 30mm flap in landing config, I think it gives the flash a perfect slight nose up attitude for landing, yes you will now have to control the sink rate with thrust but this way the speed remains constant on finals. Well may be using the Wren 160 makes life easier to control the sink rate.
Goose 22 any difference you found with the Wren 160 from the FADEC compared to the new Projet if you have used one with the FADEC.

Chaitanya.
THe motor runs good on either.. from 1/3 to full throttle its only slightly faster, from idle, its noticeable faster because the projet can program the acceleration curve in more detail than the fadec.. It also does the calibration on each start by itself, so the cal is the latest, and it considers ambient temperature in its calculations. so by design, its going to be a little more responsive.

Remember though, the mechanical design of the motor hardware is the same, so the overall thrust curve per rpm will remain the same overall if you upgrade. X fuel pressure gives X rpm(when trimmed), which gives X thrust, no matter which way you cut it. It uses the same fuel pump.

We flew a bunch of jets all last summer on the Fadec ecu. We have only begun flying the new ecu, but on the ground, the noticeable thing is the faster throttle response at the lower rpms and smooth acceleration.

If you want to discuss the pros and cons of upgrading to the projet, its best to call Ron at the shop and discuss the details or Go over to the Wren Section and post your questions further.. I will let you all know how it flies when I get it done. I will show the install of the new ecu and such.. Its the same family ECU that behotec uses.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_509/tt.htm
Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
gooseF22

I still need a thunderbird 1/8 scale pilot- anyone know where to get one... no luck so far
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
RCISFUN

Goose
You getting any building done...come on and post some photos
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Goose
You getting any building done...come on and post some photos
just a we bit on the wing..house full of kiddos
Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Grodus

Has anyone else considered cut the servo mount / retract cover plate into two pieces? When i upgrade to pro lynx struts, I cut my plates, sure makes things a lot easier.

Cody
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Grodus

Has anyone else considered cut the servo mount / retract cover plate into two pieces? When i upgrade to pro lynx struts, I cut my plates, sure makes things a lot easier.

Cody
I think many of us have done this...
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 PM
RCISFUN

Hey Mark..how's it going

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.