Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic for Firebird.Distress !!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic for Firebird.Distress !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM
hofer

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Weatronic for Firebird.Distress !!

Hello together,

Just received my weatronic 12-22R gyro III GPS 2,4 giga receiver and still can not believe the facts here :
To make it run with my futaba 12FG,you have to choose PPM/PCM1024 band.That works well.So far so good.
But now , the absolute showstopper :
With this band selected,the 12FG is reduced to an 8 channel transmitter ???!!!
The remaining 4 channels can only be used as on/off switches !!
So,no chance to control the gyros from the Tx for different flight conditions (I usually use 3:Take off ,clean ,land )
For me ,this receiver in combo with the 12FG is just an 8channel device and therefore not good enogh to take a place
in my Firebird !
I think weatronic has to change the transmission from the futaba Tx to their module to PCM G3 to have ALL 12 channels available
to control the many functions a big jet has !!Probably they can`t do that due to patent protection from futaba on the PCM 2048 G3.
If they can`t offer me all 12 channels,I will return the stuff immediately and stay with futaba and external gyros

After waiting 12 motnhs to have it finally in my hands,I am very ,very dissapointed !!
see you
Hans-Peter Hofer,Switzerland
Old 11-28-2009, 04:40 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Weatronic for Firebird.Distress !!

Why don't you just use FASST. You can even use FASST with 2 receivers. 

Arnaud
Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hans I use the 12-22 2.4G with my 14MZ, I believe the 12FG has the same features ?
I select PPM12 on the transmitter, that gives me 12 proportional channels, all working nicely ?

FASST won't give you 10% of the features in the Weatronic receivers
Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are directions on the Weatronic site for how to select 12 channel PPM...
After that you set the failsafe settings for each channel in the Weatronic vs. the radio.

I have a 14MZ now but 2 years ago I was able to use 12ch Multiplex Rx's with my 12Z the same way.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 PM
acw

FASST won't give you 10% of the features in the Weatronic receivers [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s4.gif[/img] 

I'm curious, what features am I missing? I used a 72mhz Weatronics before and all I remember was a software with a difficult UI to synchronize servos...
Old 11-29-2009, 04:26 AM
hofer

Hi Carsten,
you are a lucky man !

Only the T14 has the ability to activate 12ppm channels !
That`s NOT POSSIBLE on the 12FG !!!!
I would really like to hear otherwise,but I stand to my above statement :
WITH THE 12 FG ,YOU ONLY GET AN 8 CHANNEL RECEIVER !!
If weatronic can not overcome this and really sell an 12channel receiver that`s compatible to my 12 FG
and offers all that I am used to have with FASST, I will return it !!
Regards
Hans
Old 11-29-2009, 04:32 AM
Carsten Groen

ORIGINAL: acw

> FASST won't give you 10% of the features in the Weatronic receivers [img][/img]

I'm curious, what features am I missing? I used a 72mhz Weatronics before and all I remember was a software with a difficult UI to synchronize servos...
Bidirectional communication, the tx module will alert you of any problems on the range (near loss of signal), battery condition in you plane
The larger receivers will transmit GPS data back to the transmitter, includes Gyro's, ability to drive many servo's on one channel, "powerbox" feature, builtin regulator, "two battery" safety
All Weatronic receivers are true dual receivers, each with a seperate antenna (I believe FASST are with one receiver, but with diversity antennas ?)
And logging on the SD card in the transmitter of ALL data during flight, you have a very valuable tool if something "was not right" during flight, you can examine every aspect of the flight, signal, batteryvoltage etc ect

but you are right, other than these things (and probably a few I forgot about), there is not much difference between FASST and Weatronic
Old 11-29-2009, 04:33 AM
Carsten Groen

Sorry Hans!
I though the 12FG could also do the PPM12 !
(there is no chance that a sw upgrade would change that on the 12FG ?)

EDIT: This guy talks about PPM12 on the 12FG: http://rc-soar.blogspot.com/2007/11/futaba-12fg.html
and here: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...t=71350&page=9
Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM
hofer

Hello together ;
Problem solved !!!!!
It can do 12PPM as well !!
Very sorry to generate such a hassle here !
So ,Firebird will get the equipment that he deserves !
see you in next spring with maiden info
Hans
Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 AM
acw

A bidirectional link indeed opens interesting possibilities. I was referring to using 2 FASST receivers with a power box to really get 2 receivers.

With the GPS data transmitted back, is it possible to get some low or high speed warning (about to stall or about to go faster than 200mph in the US)?

Arnaud

Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Arnaud I just lost a plane with FAAST and when it is over I am standing there with the TX in my hands wondering what happened.

At least with the bidirectional link you might have some diagnostic data to figure out what happened.

To me you can have the other features, this bidirectional link is a game changer to me.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Carsten Groen

Hans,
glad things cleared up for you

acw,
No, no warning on GPS speed, but sure an interesting thing! The transmit module has an earplug jack, it will make aa sound if range and/or battery level are getting dangerous, the other stuff would probably be easy for weatronic to add, hopefully they will start answering emails now that they are being sold via Graupner also !?

Matt,
I just installed a Micro 12 channel in my Elan, and flew it 3 times yesterday. It was pure pleasure to do the rangetest on the ground with it, just walk away, and the LED on the transmitter will tell you when you are too far away. And when you are done, look at the data in detail from the test, you can see EVERYTHING from that, signal levels on both receivers, number of frames received, failsafe frames (if any) etc etc
This is really nice !
Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Hans,
You are lucky. I have been waiting on the 2.4 for the 12FG. No luck yet. The USA importer has not been able to sell them. I guess it's availability problems[]
Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to be clear, on the 12FG selecting "Multi Channel" mode under frequency gives you 14 channel PPM that's 12 proportional and two switched.

Mike