Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F104 for AMT Mercury

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F104 for AMT Mercury

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default F104 for AMT Mercury

Hey all, I have an AMT Mercury sitting with no home. I'd like to put it into a low cost airframe and just have some fun. I've always wanted an F104, I know that Avonds, Century Jet, and I think JDE still make F104's. Which one is best bang for the buck and would be best with the mercury? I don't care about scale gear, I just want a nice sport/scale model.
Thanks!
Jeremy
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: F104 for AMT Mercury

Great subject choice Jeremy! I have a NIB Avonds kit and picked up the robart gear and struts from Aeroloft for it. Robart has discontinued them. I think they were about $475 from aeroloft. A little $$ I thought, but considering that's the only source I could find I'm OK with it. Philip was fantastic to deal with and answered all my emails promptly. He even sent a couple items that weren't ready when the kit was ordered. I would not hesitate to order from him again. The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the added duties and handeling charges to get it home, about $280 additional. I paid shipping to Philip ($176euro) but the duty and handeling wasn't covered (which I didn't realize when I ordered). Guess DHL isn't available in Belgium.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

What engine are you going to use? I like the Avonds kit, but I wonder if a Mercury will be a little small for it. They state 12 to 27lbs of thrust. I'd like to find somebody with a kit they might want to get rid of, not that I think the Avonds kit is overpriced at all, not in the least, but for this "low cost" project, I'm not sure I want to drop 2K on a fiberglass and foam "kit" that I have to spend a bunch of time building too.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to get a hold of Tom Perry ( TP777)? I think, or Mike Youngling... They both had Avonds F-104 and could tell you everything you ever wanted to know about them.. They flew them very sucessfully. Not sure what engine they were useing but I know they had 4-bolt mains them baby's flew great !!!! Tom Lives in Schertz, Tx. (San Antonio area) and Major Mike retired from the Air Force and living in Hawaii... Both super great guys and very helpful !!!! Pull them up on a search... You;ll find them !!!

Good luck

Danno
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The Merc will be perfect. I had one with an older P-80 and it was plenty.
V..
Old 12-01-2009, 02:45 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul Blanchard has been flying his Century Jet F-104 for 4 years That I know of. I think it is powered by Jet Central Rhino.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

My Avonds weighed 21lbs and flew great with a Ram 750 (17# thrust). The Aeroloft kits are a little heavier that the PA version but still fly great. I had the Robart gear with gear doors instead of the cut outs. I have often thought about another one (PA vesion) with a 14# motor for an even lighter airplane. You will be very pleased with this jet, just pick a very visible paint job as there i not a lot to look at in flight. Even though it is long it has a very small wingspan and small diameter fuselage. It can be flown without the tip tanks but I dont recommend it due to the loss of visibility.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a light PA F-104 with Wren Super Sport 18lbs thrust. 18 to 22lbs thrust is ideal. But even at light weight the landing speed is very high, I would not be keen on fitting an engine much heavier than the Super Sport.
H.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 AM
CJ2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HarryC

I have a light PA F-104 with Wren Super Sport 18lbs thrust. 18 to 22lbs thrust is ideal. But even at light weight the landing speed is very high, I would not be keen on fitting an engine much heavier than the Super Sport.
H.
I built and flew Harry's F-104 with (first a Ramtec then) a RAM 1000...no idea how heavy the RAM was compared to the Wren - obviously heavier - but I didn't think it landed excessively fast even at that weight. The Avonds 104 is a very docile aeroplane and you can really pull the nose up on landing - the fuse provides a lot of lift (just keep the power on to counteract the drag!).

I saw Philip fly the prototype F-104 on both a JPX T-240P (Paris) and later on a Mercury HP (Helchteren). There was a considerable difference between the 2 set-ups, the Mercury gave it a very good performance. Mark Leavesley flew a Mercury HP powered F-104 for a couple of seasons and it had stunning performance.

I think the Mercury would be a good match for it.

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jeremy

I had an Avonds F 104 with a Wren SS. Mine weighed 14 lbs dry and was a right belter to fly. I preferred to land it with take off flap setting and it was no problem. I even was able to land it engine off with out a problem using no flaps. On Philips landing flap setting it needs to be driven in with plenty of power on to avoid a bad dutch roll.

BUT it was big build, a good winter project for someone in the frozen north.