Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Velox XL for new jet flyers (Assembly thread)

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Velox XL for new jet flyers (Assembly thread)

Old 12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Velox XL for new jet flyers (Assembly thread)

I am interested in the FB Velox XL and have searched through the threads and found some good information but have a another question.

1. Is this airplane a good first jet?

I have read that the smaller version in a little touchy to fly. I understand that the bigger one is a little easier to fly but would like to get some updated opinions on the airframe. I appreciate any inputs. Take care.

Jason
Old 12-26-2009, 08:38 PM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Velox XL for new jet flyers (Assembly thread)

The small Velox is a great sport jet and "NOT" touchy at all from my personal experience of flying the model with an 8 kg thrust turbine, so dont believe everything you read I would suggest. The flaps are very effective on the Velox and as with any model could catch some inexperienced flyers out if you get to slow and behind the drag curve... Get used to flying the Velox and Velox XL without flaps initially as they are not required really and when ready experiment at altitude with flaps once comfortable with the model would be my advice and you will be just fine. Stay with a sensible size thrust turbine in the 30-36 lb thrust class for the Velox XL, 30 lb of thrust on the XL is ideal....
Old 12-26-2009, 09:44 PM
JRSmith

Thanks for the info. I wanted to ask to get differrent opinions about the airplane. I appreciate all opinions good and bad, it helps me make a more informed decision. Thanks.

Jason
Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 AM
JET FX

ORIGINAL: JRSmith

Thanks for the info. I wanted to ask to get differrent opinions about the airplane. I appreciate all opinions good and bad, it helps me make a more informed decision. Thanks.

Jason

Jason, wise words indeed...

One mod I have made to my Velox is to install trailing link struts all round and leave off the gear doors for added simplicty and lower maintenance, these are also Velox ARF options available from FB for those flying from grass or preferring carrier style landings...

Heres some You Tube videos that should lay to rest any "Touchy" concerns

Cheers- Marty

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P4cLzjSmVs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38nNFHdS5vk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB0xAQNGBdo[/youtube]
Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 PM
JRSmith

Marty,

Sorry for the late response. We are on vacation in Idaho. Thanks for sharing the videos. I think I will get in contact with Mike a GJC when I get back home. The XL looks very nice and I already have a Booster 160 for it. Take it easy.

Jason
Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 AM
JRSmith

I am back in Florida and I am thinking I am going to order the XL. I talked with Mike @ GJC and he has a Diamondback scheme in stock. I think this would be a good match for my Booster 160. This will be my first jet and I was betweeen the Reaction X ARF and the Velox XL. When I got the Booster 160 in a trade I started leaning toward the XL. If there are any other things to think about please post them, I am thinking on ordering the plane up by the end of next week. Take care.

Jason
Old 01-06-2010, 12:37 PM
JRSmith

Ordered the XL yesterday (Diamonback scheme) and it is scheduled to be here Monday the 11th. Looking forward to building it. If you guy might be interested in a build thread, let me know. It takes me awhile to build, so progress may be slow at times.

I might end up selling the new Skymaster 1/8 F-16 RTF minus turbine that I aquired on a trade that is on the way, now that I have the bigger motor. Picture of the new turbine....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44893.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1350614  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM
JRSmith

My Velox XL has arrived. Mike and the crew at Global Jet Club do a great job packaging up the airplanes and this one was no exception. Airplane made it here with no damage. The paint looks good and the part fit well, couple areas that I will have to look at but very minor. Overall first impression is very good.

Since there is no real assembly thread on RCU for the XL, I think I will post as I build the jet up, for others as well as myself. Opinions are always welcome, and I am sure I will have some questions as I go along. All I ask with an assembly thread is that we keep it constructive and on track with this airframe. All airframes and manufactures have their strong points and weak points, but it is up to us builders to point those out to each other so we may construct a better project. Not trying to be harsh, I have read some threads that go way off on tangent.

First question I have is about the fuel system. I would like to go from three tanks down to one and an air trap. This airframe has plenty of space to do that in the middle section. I am figuring that I can get about 140-150 oz (rough estimate) of fuel in the center section and not put the fuel tank when full too far forward of the CG. For a Booster 160 with 16 oz/min at full throttle, is 140-150oz a good figure to have on board? I obviously do not plan on flying at full power the entire flight but unsure what a good figure to use for quantity and fuel burn,....figuring half power for 2/3 of the flight and full power for T/O and vertical performance. Jet Tech has some nice fuel cells for other airframes that could be modified to suit a single tank of that capacity. Thoughts and inputs appreciated on the benefits and items to consider with one tank compared to three and a air trap. I am trying to keep thing simple. Thanks .

Sorry get long winded at times.

Jason

Name:	Rp44116.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1354307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81969.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1354308   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27591.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1354309  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:35 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice jet. Your workshop is too neat though. I try and try and mine looks like that once or twice a year.

Dan
Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
JRSmith

Dan,

Thanks for the kind words. I have what thay call OCD, at least that is what all my friends say!. I have been following along on the Phantom Facelift and very nice work! Take care.

Jason
Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 AM
hcuellart
My Feedback: (41)

Hey Jason we are on the same boat. I am very slowly doing the build... I am doing the Australian one and will be powered by a Jet Central Eagle. These are pics I have for now. I too think a central single tank would be easier, but I might just try the three tank setup as most people tell me that when done right there should be no problem.
Regards,
Homero

Name:	Ki19132.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1354518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46953.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1354519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49242.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1354520  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
JRSmith

Homero,

Thanks for sharing. Really like that scheme. I might end up doing what you are with the three tanks, but I think I can get something to work out with one single tank. My goal with the single tank is for simplicity on the fuel system and component layout during the build. I would like to mount the air bottles on each side of the central fuel tank and free up some space forward for other components. We will see what happens. Very early in the assembly, need more time looking at it. Talk to later. Take care.

Jaon
Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Eagle Driver

here is one we build for a customer ..... powerd by a P-120 and now changed to a BOOSTER 160+

Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
hcuellart

Steven I saw your build on another post, impressive to say the least!! Mine will certainly won't end up like that, but it is an inspiration.
How did your client like the Velox at flight? I am toying with the idea of putting a gyro on front wheel and one for ailerons, I have a couple of ACT gyros available.
Maybe it won't need it but want this to be the test frame for the aileron gyro as I have never done it. I already tried it on a small .40 sized electric aerobat and liked the way it felt, super-stable, maybe on jets it will be the same...
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
hcuellart

Jason, if we can get a nice price for a single tank I might go that route too. Let me know it you can get something custom made for the jet I'd be very interested.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
JRSmith

Steven,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Build. I plan on running two trays as you have done and run my nose wheel steering servo to the front.. I have plenty of G10 and lite ply to use, so I should be able to come up with something. How did the balance come out wth the component layout? Did you have to add any ballast? Reading that the CG should be 7 1/4" from the outboard wing panel root. Mine has the Booster 160+ aslo, should only need full power for T/O and verticals. How much fuel capacity do you have on board and what are your flight times like with the 160+? Very nice work.

Homero,

I am going to get in touch with Jet Tech today and talk about the options for single central tank. I will let you know what kind of pricing we might be looking at. Talk to you soon.

Take care guys.

Jason
Old 01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Eagle Driver

Hi Jason,

with the layout shown in the pics it doesnt need any ballast.
Turbine Battery is in the Nose. With the CG as shown in
my last pic it flies very well and didnt need any trim.
Flight time with the original three tanks and the Booster 160+
is around 10 minutes. There is enough fuel left for 2 or 3
go arounds.

Homero ...

I fly it 4 or 5 times and it really doesnt need a gyro ....
My client loves it, it was his first jet and now has over
70 flights without any accident. Also the gear is strong
and works simply perfect.

Only sh$$ on this kit are the door hinges. Change them !!!

here are the settings :

Elevator +/- 25 mm with 30% Expo
Aileron +/- 20 mm with 30% Expo
Rudder +/- all you can get 25% Expo
Flaps for take off 12mm
Flaps for Landing 45mm
CG 180 mm from the leading edge as shown above

put a washer 1,5 mm under the front screws from the turbine mount, so it need no elevator trim

and here is a Kevlar tank we made ......
3,2 Liter and fit perfect in the velox XL

Old 01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
hcuellart

Steven, nice tank, do you sell these??? That could be our ticket if we don't have any option this side of the pond. Thanks for the settings those definitely will help as well as the washer for the turbine, thanks for the tips!!.
So overall you say the kit has good quality (not in the paint, I too saw too many defects on mine as you did) but it won't disintegrate in mid-air as other kits from FB...
Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Steven,

Does this airframe have any Knife Edge capacity and if so, how's the roll/pitch coupling?

PaulD
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Eagle Driver

Homero

yep we sell this tanks ...
the paint flip off in several areas !

Hi Paul
i cant tell you anything about the Knife Edge capacity,
i didnt do that with a customer plane ....
Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
JRSmith

Paul,

The video that I watched the airplane flew knife edge well and four points were very nice.

Steven,

Can you please send dimensions of your tank. Thank you.

Homero,

I contacted Jet Tech and have not heard anything back yet. I am sure he will get back with me soon.

The size I am looking at is 10" x 6" x 4.75" outside dimensions, this give a capacity around 150 fl/oz and will fit well in the center section. I will know more once I talk with Jet Tech. Talk to you guys later.

Jason
Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM
JRSmith

I have been checking the removal and installation of the tank size previously mentioned 10 "x 6" x 4.75" and it will go in but not without sanding down the edges of the canopy frame area by the canopy release. I don't really want to do that so looking at a couple differrent sizes. If I take the 1/2" off the width it fits with no problem and the capacity goes down to approximately 140 fl/oz, which is still a little over 4 liters. I am thinking that two tanks in the center section on top of each other might work out also, but would like to stick with a single tank for now. Just kicking around all the possibilities right now. Talk to you guys later.

Jason
Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 PM
jbrown
My Feedback: (12)

Greetings, subscribed.
I have the XL on order, Russian Show Team scheme. Should be here in 10 days.
Let's keep this thread going, great start so far.

Jim
Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 PM
JRSmith

Jim,

Glad to have you on the thread! I don't plan on the thread going anywhere. Please contribute were you see fit.

Talked with Gary at Jet Tech and we are working out a twin fuel tank setup in series for the center section. Using two tanks will allow more capacity or at least equal and ease of maintence (removal and installation). More to folllow on the tanks. Gary is going to be out on business for a bit, so we will readdress the fuel tanks a little later.

I am going to get started on landing gear maintence. Need to take out the gear, inspect, clean, lube, pressure check, and reassemble (with locktite). More to follow. Take care guys.

Jason
Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jason,

you may find the servo mounting brackets are junk.

I had to make new ones since the mounting screw distance was 8.5mm +/-.5,, in stead of 10 mm
And the tapped holes were not square to the surface...typical chineeze ARF.

bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.