Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My Christmas present finally arrived, JMP Firebird, Thank you Tom and Sue!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My Christmas present finally arrived, JMP Firebird, Thank you Tom and Sue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default My Christmas present finally arrived, JMP Firebird, Thank you Tom and Sue!!!

My Firebird arrived down at Ship Happens in Sumas Washington today!
Before I get into anything about the airplane itself, I want to take a minute to say thank you to Tom and Susan Cook. Never before with ANYTHING I have ordered, be it airplane stuff, motorcycle, car, guitars etc have I had experiences and follow up's like these 2 provide. Every question I have had so far, they have always had the time to answer.
There were a couple of hiccups in getting the Firebird ready to send, but not any fault of theirs. There was one piece that they have manufactured for them for the pipe that they were waiting on. The company making the part was late in shipping that out. When they did send it, it was the wrong piece. Tom was on the phone to me with every update on the parts.
When the Firebird did ship, they let me know right away. So today, when I got notification that it had arrived I was thrilled. I called Tom to let him know it had arrived and I was on my way to pick it up.
Well, wouldn't you know it, the shippers managed to punch a HUGE hole in the box.... I called Tom and Susan to let them know. I did a quick inspection down in Washington before bringing it back up to Canada and it looked ok. While I was unpacking it back at my shop Tom called to find out if I had found any damage.
I have never had anyone so concerned about a product sent to me. I knew that even if I found something damaged, they would look after me.

As it sits, so far nothing is damaged, everything looks 100%, I'll cut out some hatches tomorrow to check all the internal structure to make sure nothing was crushed as the box was damaged quite badly including the foam inserts.

However, the way this airplane was packed is what saved it for sure. I've never had an airplane so well packed!!!

So, for the great customer service to this point, the great packing, all the updates, and simply for being great friends, Tom and Susan, thank you!!!

Onto the unpacking (sorry, I didn't take pictures yet of all the unpacking)

The first thing I noticed was a packing checklist. I have never seen this in any kit I've ordered before, sure many manuals tell you to check for all the parts and give you a list, but there is actually a highlighted and checked off packing list in here.

Next thing I noticed was that EVERY SINGLE Package in there is labeled!!! I plan on building most of this airplane in the evenings at my house, I don't have much room at home so I will be taking subassemblies with me to build. Not having to search for piece after piece is going to be great.

Every hatch and cut out on the airplane is marked in the fiberglass, cutting everything out is going to be simple! No measuring, no marking, no messing around!

I taped on the tail section, slid on the stabs, slid on the outer wing panels, everything lines up and fits great. The airplane is SOLID, not the squishy denting foam filled stuff I'm used to seeing. Yes, there are mold lines, this is a kit, but the mold lines are minimal, they will take next to no time to fill and smooth out.

In short, I couldn't be happier so far. Everything looks great!!! This airplane is a work of art, I am thrilled to be part of the Firebird owners club now

Thanks again Tom and Susan!

Here are some pictures of the big hole in the box, a few forklift punctures, and then finally, the jet taped together !!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40196.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1343919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11837.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1343920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50132.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	1343921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28862.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1343922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se46135.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1343923  
Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Christmas present finally arrived, JMP Firebird, Thank you Tom and Sue!!!

Wow Jeremy that's a great Christmas present! Glad the plane was undamaged. Those fork lift operator are blind. Those fragile sings can be read way too far.
Congratulations on your dream jet.

Alex
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Christmas present finally arrived, JMP Firebird, Thank you Tom and Sue!!!

Leave it gray unless you know someone who can give it a decent paint job!

I can't wait to see the finished product, Jeremy.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Shui
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeremy,

You will LOVE this airplane! I have a 2nd one now going into paint this week and it will be pretty quick.

They fly like a pattern plane, and by the 2nd flight I figured out the trick to landing it good every time.

Enjoy it, I'm sure you will and Tom & Susan are 1st class.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Great folks Jeremy Tom plane is the bomb,,,,,, I can not wait to see what she will look like when you get done You going with the Merlin in her

Dave
Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Before I get into anything about the airplane itself, I want to take a minute to say thank you to Tom and Susan Cook. Never before with ANYTHING I have ordered, be it airplane stuff, motorcycle, car, guitars etc have I had experiences and follow up's like these 2 provide. Every question I have had so far, they have always had the time to answer.
There were a couple of hiccups in getting the Firebird ready to send, but not any fault of theirs. There was one piece that they have manufactured for them for the pipe that they were waiting on. The company making the part was late in shipping that out. When they did send it, it was the wrong piece. Tom was on the phone to me with every update on the parts.
When the Firebird did ship, they let me know right away. So today, when I got notification that it had arrived I was thrilled. I called Tom to let him know it had arrived and I was on my way to pick it up.
Well, wouldn't you know it, the shippers managed to punch a HUGE hole in the box.... I called Tom and Susan to let them know. I did a quick inspection down in Washington before bringing it back up to Canada and it looked ok. While I was unpacking it back at my shop Tom called to find out if I had found any damage.
I have never had anyone so concerned about a product sent to me. I knew that even if I found something damaged, they would look after me.

As it sits, so far nothing is damaged, everything looks 100%, I'll cut out some hatches tomorrow to check all the internal structure to make sure nothing was crushed as the box was damaged quite badly including the foam inserts.

However, the way this airplane was packed is what saved it for sure. I've never had an airplane so well packed!!!

So, for the great customer service to this point, the great packing, all the updates, and simply for being great friends, Tom and Susan, thank you!!!

The first thing I noticed was a packing checklist. I have never seen this in any kit I've ordered before, sure many manuals tell you to check for all the parts and give you a list, but there is actually a highlighted and checked off packing list in here.

Next thing I noticed was that EVERY SINGLE Package in there is labeled!!! I plan on building most of this airplane in the evenings at my house, I don't have much room at home so I will be taking subassemblies with me to build. Not having to search for piece after piece is going to be great.

Every hatch and cut out on the airplane is marked in the fiberglass, cutting everything out is going to be simple! No measuring, no marking, no messing around!

I taped on the tail section, slid on the stabs, slid on the outer wing panels, everything lines up and fits great. The airplane is SOLID, not the squishy denting foam filled stuff I'm used to seeing. Yes, there are mold lines, this is a kit, but the mold lines are minimal, they will take next to no time to fill and smooth out.

In short, I couldn't be happier so far. Everything looks great!!! This airplane is a work of art, I am thrilled to be part of the Firebird owners club now

Here are some pictures of the big hole in the box, a few forklift punctures, and then finally, the jet taped together !!!!

You will have FUN with that 199.999 mph rocket ship!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

You will have FUN with that 199.999 mph rocket ship!!
Jeremy is looking for 199.299 mph me thinks....

Only in Canadr EH!

PaulD
Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 PM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: WhoDaMan

Great folks Jeremy Tom plane is the bomb,,,,,, I can not wait to see what she will look like when you get done You going with the Merlin in her

Dave

Not totally sure what engine yet Dave. My Booster has a bit more push than the Merlin does, but like many Kero start engines I've seen, it shoots some flame on start up, don't know if I want that in a tail pipe. That Behotec 300 would be cool with 70lbs of thrust, but it's quite expensive and I don't know much about Behotec, with this airframe I'd feel better with an engine with a really good track record.
I have a little time to figure it out, I can always upgrade later too. I like the idea of using the lighter engine, at least for now, lighter engine = lighter weight at landing. Either way, it will be 40+ lbs of thrust in it
Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 PM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: Shui

Hey Jeremy,

You will LOVE this airplane! I have a 2nd one now going into paint this week and it will be pretty quick.

They fly like a pattern plane, and by the 2nd flight I figured out the trick to landing it good every time.

Enjoy it, I'm sure you will and Tom & Susan are 1st class.
Hey David! I can't wait to get her flying! So what is the trick to landing it good every time besides letting you or Tom fly it? LOL!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 AM
RonLongAZ
My Feedback: (29)

Jeremy,

Congrats and good luck with her.

Ron
Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom and Susan are great, you will love that Firebird, congrats. Joe C!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: RonLongAZ

Jeremy,

Congrats and good luck with her.

Ron

Hey Ron, thanks, do you miss yours?