Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Feibo SU-27 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Feibo SU-27 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM
dalbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Feibo SU-27 Build Thread

Hi Guys have just finished my Feibao su and it has 2 jetcat 160s they are a tight fit but ok I am using a 50oz Belly tank and have 6 litres of fuel so a 5 min flight no problem.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 AM
gab_arm75
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dalbe

Hi Guys have just finished my Feibao su and it has 2 jetcat 160s they are a tight fit but ok I am using a 50oz Belly tank and have 6 litres of fuel so a 5 min flight no problem.
Hi dalbe,

can you post any pics for tank and other installation. what's you can tell about this plane, how it fly?

I would like to buy same plane for 2 p160. can you tell real weight this plane?
what's think, how it fly on high altitude (1350 meters )

Arman
Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM
spike223
My Feedback: (27)

Hello any update(finished,1st take off) yet?[8D]
Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 AM
cxcaptain

Hi, All

Any update on Feibo Su27?
Old 08-23-2018, 11:26 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Resurrection of old thread...

I thought to continue here.. As I promised FeiBao to show this.
I wanted a SU27 and ordered it last October. Got it after Christmas and build a bit before flying season started.. Now I started building it again as I crashed my F-18 and sold my Mig-29 before it.. so no planes , have to build.
Catherine at FeiBao was very helpful and everything went really well. I ordered the plane via JTM Cyprus, but handled all requests pretty much directly with Catherine. Feibaos aftersales is the best compared to JL / Skymaster, at least what comes to speed of answers..

My Su-27 was ordered with special Camo, Ukraine digital. I got them painting masks etc. and they delivered. Weathering looks good and hot section is also nice.
Mods I made:
- I cut the nosecone off and made it removable . The tail stinger will be also removable. I used carbon rods to slide into eachother to get a tight fit and magnets.
- Canopy opening mechanism removed. No need for opening canopy. I made a hatchlatch which keeps the canopy closed.
- Pitot tube installed.
- one main tank was cut and shortened. It looked like Donald Duck and I just wanted it to be more useful.
- engines were angled a bit inside, few degrees, to get better single engine handling.
- elevator horns lenght doubled to achieve better geometry and servo resolution, by using carbon sheet and bolting new longer horns into the alloy horn. Much better!
- Unilight lights installed, nosegear had a "scale" alloy landing light which now has a led inside. I may get afterburner lights if the plane survives that long..

Servos were Hitec and Savox servos all around except nose gear steering which has a PowerHD titanium servo I had lying around. Jati CB200 with RSAT2 in right vert stab and REX 6 Assist somewhere else. Jeti GPS , MSpeed and two xicoy telemetry adapters (or I get digitech CTU) will be installed. Engines are two VT80BL engines which deliver 8+ kg per engine with really good fuel economy . Total fuel onboard will be around 4.5 liters which will be good for 10 mins of flying with 20% reserve if I do not floor it whole time..

I am still undecided about fuel system.. I will use 3 tanks in series, last tank is small 1 liter tank in the back. Then to a SINGLE CAT260 I have lying around and from there a single line to fuel cutoff valve. After valve Y-connector to two lines and to the fuel pumps. Lines will be kept very short. I asked about this setup from Gaspar (Jets Munt) and he said it will be fine , engines/ pumps will not interfere with eachother if they just get the juice..
I also have an option to use my two spare BVM traps , Y-lining the fuel after the last tank. Large line and heavy clunks are used with 4mm id line / clunk. Opinions? Single line/ valve saves weight and is simple.

A couple of snags also occurred.. One main gear strut was really wobbly and one main gear door was broken. Both were replaced by FeiBao ASAP. My installation of that door was not that perfect, it requires a little touchup and fiddling later ..
Also I managed to install the wing servo wrong way up and upon powering it up it made a hole into the wing top surface... Took a while to repair but now you cannot see it even if you know where it was..
Nose gear has a lot of forward angle, I found that there were spacers installed under the retract to get the nosewheel fit inside the wheel well. Maybe formers were a bit off.. But I may correct that if it becomes a nuisance.

A few weeks job to finish it and get it flying before winter comes here, but cannot complain much, it has been a really good summer so far. Around 15h engine time accumulated for Mig and F-18 easily.
Thanks for reading. A few pics along the way, nothing fancy except the paint job.

plane.

I just had to put parts together!

I full Glory

As it left from the factory. I approved..

Yummy!

Nose apart.

Nice Bottom

if It looks like a duck it has to be a duck!

Shortemed main tank. Room for UAT and valves etc.

Retracts.

Nose section.

Engines installed. This is the latest pic. Lots to do..

I try to keep weight down so no fancy hardware plates / shelves.

Repaired wing. Can you find the hole?

Modded elevator mechanism.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:48 AM
spike223

Originally Posted by Ceeray
I thought to continue here.. As I promised FeiBao to show this.
I wanted a SU27 and ordered it last October. Got it after Christmas and build a bit before flying season started.. Now I started building it again as I crashed my F-18 and sold my Mig-29 before it.. so no planes , have to build.
Catherine at FeiBao was very helpful and everything went really well. I ordered the plane via JTM Cyprus, but handled all requests pretty much directly with Catherine. Feibaos aftersales is the best compared to JL / Skymaster, at least what comes to speed of answers..

My Su-27 was ordered with special Camo, Ukraine digital. I got them painting masks etc. and they delivered. Weathering looks good and hot section is also nice.
Mods I made:
- I cut the nosecone off and made it removable . The tail stinger will be also removable. I used carbon rods to slide into eachother to get a tight fit and magnets.
- Canopy opening mechanism removed. No need for opening canopy. I made a hatchlatch which keeps the canopy closed.
- Pitot tube installed.
- one main tank was cut and shortened. It looked like Donald Duck and I just wanted it to be more useful.
- engines were angled a bit inside, few degrees, to get better single engine handling.
- elevator horns lenght doubled to achieve better geometry and servo resolution, by using carbon sheet and bolting new longer horns into the alloy horn. Much better!
- Unilight lights installed, nosegear had a "scale" alloy landing light which now has a led inside. I may get afterburner lights if the plane survives that long..

Servos were Hitec and Savox servos all around except nose gear steering which has a PowerHD titanium servo I had lying around. Jati CB200 with RSAT2 in right vert stab and REX 6 Assist somewhere else. Jeti GPS , MSpeed and two xicoy telemetry adapters (or I get digitech CTU) will be installed. Engines are two VT80BL engines which deliver 8+ kg per engine with really good fuel economy . Total fuel onboard will be around 4.5 liters which will be good for 10 mins of flying with 20% reserve if I do not floor it whole time..

I am still undecided about fuel system.. I will use 3 tanks in series, last tank is small 1 liter tank in the back. Then to a SINGLE CAT260 I have lying around and from there a single line to fuel cutoff valve. After valve Y-connector to two lines and to the fuel pumps. Lines will be kept very short. I asked about this setup from Gaspar (Jets Munt) and he said it will be fine , engines/ pumps will not interfere with eachother if they just get the juice..
I also have an option to use my two spare BVM traps , Y-lining the fuel after the last tank. Large line and heavy clunks are used with 4mm id line / clunk. Opinions? Single line/ valve saves weight and is simple.

A couple of snags also occurred.. One main gear strut was really wobbly and one main gear door was broken. Both were replaced by FeiBao ASAP. My installation of that door was not that perfect, it requires a little touchup and fiddling later ..
Also I managed to install the wing servo wrong way up and upon powering it up it made a hole into the wing top surface... Took a while to repair but now you cannot see it even if you know where it was..
Nose gear has a lot of forward angle, I found that there were spacers installed under the retract to get the nosewheel fit inside the wheel well. Maybe formers were a bit off.. But I may correct that if it becomes a nuisance.

A few weeks job to finish it and get it flying before winter comes here, but cannot complain much, it has been a really good summer so far. Around 15h engine time accumulated for Mig and F-18 easily.
Thanks for reading. A few pics along the way, nothing fancy except the paint job.

plane.

I just had to put parts together!

I full Glory

As it left from the factory. I approved..

Yummy!

Nose apart.

Nice Bottom

if It looks like a duck it has to be a duck!

Shortemed main tank. Room for UAT and valves etc.

Retracts.

Nose section.

Engines installed. This is the latest pic. Lots to do..

I try to keep weight down so no fancy hardware plates / shelves.

Repaired wing. Can you find the hole?

Modded elevator mechanism.
wow ! What's the weight so far ? Initially I was thinking about the Jet legend. ..but are they still available ?
Old 08-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Ceeray

Cannot say the weight yet as its still in two pieces and stuff still.needs to be put in.
JL is not made anymore, I also asked for it.

aviation jets has su35 coming at 1/8 scale and it looks stunning. Of course it must also be a tad more pricey I think. I may get that too

Last edited by Ceeray; 08-24-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:07 AM
spike223

Originally Posted by Ceeray
Cannot say the weight yet as its still in two pieces and stuff still.needs to be put in.
JL is not made anymore, I also asked for it.

aviation jets has su35 coming at 1/8 scale and it looks stunning. Of course it must also be a tad more pricey I think. I may get that too
I've just got a quote from Catherine ; you're absolutely right, they are very fast to answer ! But my main concern with Fei bao is the weight ; I used to own their Rafale . I like the quality of the kit but "a little" heavy for its size.

I just saw the aviation jets Su35 on their website ! Unbelievable ! Same size as the aviation design ( out of production too....I've ask....) must be expensive 😯. But that would the ultimate Su! Plus the CARF and the upcoming Skymaster are way too big for me ..

keep us posted !

Cheers
Old 08-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Ceeray

I think this will be around 16kg without fuel. 8.5kg was rear fuselage weight without engines which adds 2.1kg. So with full tanks its around 19kg. And thats an estimate. I sure hope it will be more like 15kg empty. Engines produce total of 16-17kg of thrust so it should fly nice. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:39 AM
Karsten022

Hi Guys,
a friend of mine has a Feibao SU 27 also. A few weeks ago we tried to make the maiden flight.
But it didn`t work well with the CG of Feibao of 8,5 Inch. It was tail heavy and was damaged during "Landing" (it was more like a Crash).
But it is repairable.
What CG are you using?

Best regards,
Karsten
Old 08-26-2018, 12:58 PM
Ceeray

All others seem to use that 8.5" from leading edge of the wing. How was the plane handling , too much throw and no expo? Or dragging tail ? Usually chinese CGs are way too noseheavy, I have put my planes CG every time at least few cm behind the recommended after a few flights as it requires less elevator then. And with gyro it will be still stable and more agile, you can get more scalelike manouvers like flapspins etc ( I had mig29 with thrust vector).
Old 08-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Ceeray

Tanks. Flow will be 1-2-3, then CAT260 , then valve , Y-connector and to the pumps. 4mm inner diameter line used.
Tanks done. Slow progress but I think I will get the fuselage pieces connected next week. I have to take the first tank out for fuzejoin.
UAT will be on the nose, a spare CAT 260. Fuelvalve is installed into nosewheel well, operated via nose gear door (festo 6mm ball valve). Fuel pumps will be next to nosegear formers and filters near tank 1 , in vertical position.
Then just stuffing air bottles, finishing air lines etc.. lots of little things to do.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Ceeray

Fuselage joined. Had to take some motivation pics..
Old 09-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Ceeray

Got basically this done. Only battery box is not in. No additional ballast needed anywhere which is good. I had to change my 2S5000mAh battery to 2200mAh battery for engines, but I will put extra power socket for aux power input for startups.
Had to open up the retracts as left leg doesn´t want to operate well. Now it goes in with 5 bar pressure but still I would like to get better movement. 1.7 liters of bottled air inside..

I haven´t been able to weight the plane up yet, but it is as light as its possible to build with this kind of tanks etc. I would have preferred a single tank. Single pickup line , large UAT seems to work fine, even with full throttle there were no bubbles evident. And the sound is just great!

Waiting for weather to permit even few flights before winter..

Anyone has a pilot figure 1/9 , even printable?
Old 09-16-2018, 05:47 AM
Ceeray

Its flying now!
The fuel system was ground tested and proved to be working well. The two vt80BL's run just fine and make a really nice twin whine. Not too loud tho compared to my bifurbicated F18 and Mig29, which were really howlers.

Cg was set to hte factory default setting and smallest control movements set. The plane took off by itself and required maybe fifteen clicks of down trim to keep flying level!! The elevators were set to neutral compared to the wings..

The whole flight was like trying to be standing on the ball, plane wanting to oscillate on every axis while sticks were moved only by millimeters.

Finally got it sorted for approaches and shot a couple of them, first ones were too fast and oscillated on pitch axis badly. Last one , which ended up for fullstop landing, was pretty steady at 90kmh speed. A bit too fast , as I pulled for flare it ballooned a bit and then landed , safely. Gyro was on with 30% gain during the last approach.

For the next flight the 2200mah battery in the nose was switched to 5000mah , to gain nose weight. Elev throws were reduced 10% more , now resulting like 20mm elev throws. Also ail to elev mix was reduced (taileron)

The second flight was much more steady but left main gear did not retract as its been acting badly since beginning. So geardown flight again . The landing was good, approach speed again a bit too fast , resulting landing a bit farther out. As I applied the brakes the plane veered right very hard resulting a three pointer ( nose, gear, wingtip) , scratching a little paint from the nose and breaking a launch rail surface from the wingtip.

The cause was either brakes OR the front wheel dropping from strut as I found the model unable to taxi due jammed nosewheel. The wheel axle had lost its mounting screws and was pinned inside the wheelfork. Also another strut screw had been lost somewhere.. and I remember going thru the retracts with locktite, but maybe not these screws.

Basically good flights but something to fix again.

Last edited by Ceeray; 09-16-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Ceeray

Old 09-16-2018, 09:16 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is thrust vectoring available for the FeiBoa SU-27? Also looking for more information about the Aviation Jets SU-35 as well as pricing information for the Skymaster SU-30.

Last edited by David Jackson; 09-16-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Ceeray

I think feibao su is too small for thrust vector, maybe if you did it as single turbine installed between nacelles and adding vector ubit there. AJ su35 will be made for vector from start. SM I have no idea..
Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Ceeray

Weighted the plane today.. Was a bit of disappointment actually.

17.28 kg without fuel, all other included.
I was hoping for like 15kg or so. The fuel system (3 tanks and cluncks etc ) and heavy tail pipes cause maybe 500g increase, but its pretty hard to remove anything else. I may redo new tanks but buying new pipes is another question. I do not know that from where the weight comes as I did not make any additional changes to the system other than lights..
Old 10-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Ceeray

Reduced weight a bit. Took the 1.3liter smallest tank off and now it flies much better as its over 1kg lighter when taking off.
The thrust angle needs a bit of adjustment as it tends to climb with throttle open.

Otherwise this one is a keeper!