Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:35 PM
zdsh13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alan, I have an older 180rx to install which should be enough thrust. I have the Behotec c50 electrics with linear actuators on the gear doors. Iím installing air brakes using Chrisís laser cut kit and will install linear activators to drive them. Planning to have an operating canopy and unilights nav/strobe, spots. I have a smoke pump but will wait to see what my interior comes in for weight before installing the smoke system. Iím hoping to limit the interior to 1.5lbs, 2 ejection seats, center console and panel.

Still need to finish the panel with instruments and bezel glass and airbrush, so still a work in progress.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 PM
AKB
My Feedback: (5)

Great looking dashboard. Donít worry about the added weight in cockpit. I donít think there were many off these flown that didnít have to have significant ballast added in the nose. All of mine did. Also just a thought about the air brakes, have lots of throttle ready when you apply them, when I had full flaps and air brakes on my first one it needed 3/4ís throttle. This was on a 160sx. On a 180 I would expect not to have that much, but a fair bit.

Will look forward too seeing when when you complete it.

Alan

Last edited by AKB; 01-05-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 AM
zdsh13

Looking forward to this summer, work schedule pretty much ate up my flying season last year.
Iíve read most add close to 2lbs of lead so I agree that short of my air brakes all my weight is in front of the CG. I read earlier you had the same retracts as me, Behotec C50 trailing link, which nose strut did you get? Straight or trailing? I have the trailing but have seen the failures some have reported, might end up purchasing a straight strut.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 AM
AKB

Originally Posted by zdsh13 View Post
Looking forward to this summer, work schedule pretty much ate up my flying season last year.
Iíve read most add close to 2lbs of lead so I agree that short of my air brakes all my weight is in front of the CG. I read earlier you had the same retracts as me, Behotec C50 trailing link, which nose strut did you get? Straight or trailing? I have the trailing but have seen the failures some have reported, might end up purchasing a straight strut.
I have the trailing link this time. Saw the same posts. My biggest problems were the mains. Got to do some of those grease landings. That will help.

Alan
Old 01-07-2019, 05:43 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Mine have straight struts, and just 2 lines of weight in the front besides the batteries.
I don't know why you have so much weight added.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 01-07-2019, 07:23 PM
AKB

Originally Posted by E.N.T. View Post
Mine have straight struts, and just 2 lines of weight in the front besides the batteries.
I don't know why you have so much weight added.

hmarmaizmd717
hmarmaizmd it would be interesting to know how you got the nose weight down so low. Two pounds was not put in the nose of mine, but sizeable A123's and
13 oz. of lead was. What turbine did you use, did you use the lighter Tam's exhaust tube, different servos than the ones that were specified. You can only take so much weight out of the tail. Was your CG as per factory settings. Glad you were able to keep the nose weight down, just curious how it was done.

Thanks
Alan
Old 01-08-2019, 05:25 AM
E.N.T.

CG: 6.25 in. from leading edge at root. I use a jetcat 120, 2 123's, jr servos.
regular pipe.
Nothing else.
hmarmaizmd717
Old 01-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Canadian Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CG: 6.25 in. from leading edge at root. I use a jetcat 120, 2 123's, jr servos.
regular pipe.
Nothing else.
hmarmaizmd717
How does the Plane Fly with a 120? We are using 160's or 180's from what I have seen.
Any Video of it with a 120? I'm assuming you must be at sea level?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:32 AM
E.N.T.

I've been flying it for 10 years. I know where Calgary , Canada is, do you know where Puerto Rico is?
Please find it in a map. And that's right . We are at sea level.
You can see it in you tube at
hmarmaizmd L-39maiden it's battle tested.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 PM
AKB

I've been flying it for 10 years. I know where Calgary , Canada is, do you know where Puerto Rico is?
Please find it in a map. And that's right . We are at sea level.
You can see it in you tube at
hmarmaizmd L-39maiden it's battle tested.

hmarmaizmd717
Well glad to see that it works for you and you can save money with the smaller engine size plus have more fuel for flying. Yes I have flown at sea level before and it interesting to see the extra performance you can achieve at that altitude.
Have a good year.

Thanks for replies
Old 01-09-2019, 06:37 AM
E.N.T.

Good year and happy flying for all of you.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 02-09-2019, 06:23 AM
skywarrior

Default NEW/OLD TUTORDavid

Hi, Well I got my new shell in late November and revised my idea for an aluminium surface finish in exchange for white. Firstly I wanted a unique scheme and aluminimum and chrome had been taken. I am not anal about it being a true scale replica but more about looking real and beaten up with dents and grazes from a hard life in the sky. To that end I have done rivets which my "Snowbird" scheme lacked as this helps with weathering and also scale effect in my view. I am about 3/4 into completion setup stage and am transferring all electronics and gear from the original ( seen in the background) with a few changes. This time I am still using Behotec oleos as they are bullet proof and proved well in the past but a change to their electric version of units and much more control over brakes. However all doors will be air operated as the rams are known position and worked well plus there is no fiddling around to get servos in the right place.They also keep the doors closed under pressure which is a natural thing with air rams.As yet I have not delved into the world of electric actuators and saw no reason to test this here. A P/Box Royal is transferred and this time I decided I would have the 30mm light in the nose but 15mm lights in the wings as I don't have to destroy the integrity of the wing section as before.Whilst this has worked historically they are quite hard to do neatly and strongly and the 15mm x 2 led from Unilight give virtually the same lumen power although of course the dish is half the diameter. I will use the 180 rx which has powered perfectly all other flights and as David says lots of power when needed but stooge around at 50 % throttle all day. There is also a throttle curve remember. I have Grumania pipe which weigh in at 1 1/4 lbs or 130 gr lighter than the stock beast and am using Power bus units so the fus/tail contains one main Power bus lead and not three plus lights ( agreed the p/bus unit weighs as well by but is very light). I have framed this with two layers of 2mm ply and epoxied it to the base of the fin with an access cover plate for programming shown here needing tidy up and paint and addition of hatch cover

. The hole can be quite small as all you need is room to press the main button and see the four lights. So will keep in touch and go from here to having a different looking Tutor to all others.

David

Thick cyno rivets

Not easy yo line up on a tapered shaft

This stencil was a challenge

Lots of dirt and scuff marks

Starting to become one unit

Last edited by skywarrior; 02-10-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:25 PM
skywarrior

Default A few more snaps

Here are a few more photos to cover other aspects of my build. I chose the one piece rear cabin and cockpit glued and screwed as one piece. To me this is a less fragile arrangement than the lift up scale version and with a trick shadow line yet to be painted it looks the same as the normal way. The standard way looked likely to be blown down the runway when left standing at the first gust of wind. Probably me being pessimistic !This of course means that everything like switches and air fill needs to be to the rear of this units edge so that constant on/of of the cabin and first rear cover is avoided. This worked well on the previous model and this is why I chose it again. The install has a few more bits and pieces like U/C Elec controller and associated leads to fit but is pretty much there now. The cut out in the fin is shown but needs tidying up and a hatch cover of thin epoxy sheet screwed in place painted red. I will do this when I have the red airbrush going.Next to turbine is the main switch and air fill for the gear doors. Again all reached outside of the main cockpit unit which can stay in place until major access is needed.

Regards

David

Last edited by skywarrior; 02-10-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:36 PM
sharam
My Feedback: (2)

Hi, I need the following part for the Tutor nose gear. Does any one know where I can get it from please?
It is 10mm in diameter and 85mm long. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:25 PM
roydefiant

What I have done in past, send your picture to behotec. They made the gear. Tell them you need to purchase replacement. I think I paid with PayPal
Old 02-12-2020, 03:20 PM
skywarrior

Default Tutor nose wheel part

Hi, I am pretty certain that is an Air tech nose wheel part and they are no longer in business as far as I know. Behotec made better quality gear as this stuff was very soft metal and mine broke like cheese.
You have two choices I suppose and that maybe try and advertise for an "AIR Tech " part and have it bend again on the next hard landing or buy a new set of Behotec gear and have the best available.

Mine has done very well and I now have the electric version
Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

That is the Behotec part for the straight nose leg. The square goes into the fork.

DW
Old 02-15-2020, 11:39 PM
sharam
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guys, I contacted Behotec and they have the part. Appreciate the replies, roydefiant, skywarrior, Dave Wilshere!