Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba/Robbe PowerBox

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba/Robbe PowerBox

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Futaba/Robbe PowerBox

Thought this may be of interest to all.

This dual power supply (battery backer) is primarily for the receiver and servos with the S-BUS system designed, by PWM adapters are also standard servos and electronic devices can be connected. The particular advantage of the S-BUS system is that only a 3-wire cable from the receiver to the double power leads and are transferred but up to 18 channels.

The receiver can thus be easily placed into one empfangsgünstigen site (eg the cockpit), while the battery backer with double power supply will be lower down in the trunk. At the entrance to 2 receivers can be connected, the battery backer has an automatic switch depending on the Signalstärke.Wichtig kg for large-scale model over 25, are required in which 2 separate receivers. The dual power supply is also suitable for use range from 4 satellite receivers. From the Double power supply to the servo is only one strong 3-wire S-BUS cable (1mm ² guided), for example a cable into the hull to the stern and one or two more in the area. About special S-BUS-terminals are then connected the servos to the desired location on the S-BUS cable. This will reduce the enormous burden of cable laying. As cables are heavy, this system is also weight-saving. In addition, at any point can also be placed 2 or more servos, if the restoring force of a servo is not sufficient, the S-BUS terminal is connected to the power quickly. Now, the servos must be assigned to only the channel number and be ready is the port. In total there are 4 S-BUS outputs, which are grouped together in pairs (output 1: A1 + A2, output 2: B1 + B2). Each of the two outputs has a power supply that is switched to 5.4 V - 6.0 V - 6.6 V or 7.4 V. The maximum current load is 10 amps while duration (> 15 min 7.4 V) and 50 A briefly each (2 per output) jacks of 2S batteries.
About an optional temperature controlled fan, which is simply bolted to the base unit can be increased if necessary the performance of the battery backer to 16 amps period. In addition to the serial outputs are also the parallel outputs 1st .. 8 (or 9 .. 16) and 17/18 to connect standard servos or additional electronics with PWM control are available. These outputs (C) have a common power supply, which is switchable to 5.4 V - 6.0 V - 6.6 V or 7.4 V. The current capacity here is about 8 A time and can be used by the fan at 12 A increase. The power of / the recipient (s) is also carried on the output (C), thus the voltage level is identical. This also allows a parallel connection of servos at the receiver. The connection of the power supply is aware of strong cable, making it easy to connect a separate connector system that can take place without interference within the device. Of course, the two batteries in operation are discharged completely symmetrical. This is half the current per battery, which ensures a longer life. With two loaders 2S Li-Po 750 mA (No. F1692), the Li-Po batteries can be charged simultaneously from the 230 volt system without the wiring needs to be solved. The built-in equalizer automatically also provides for balanced cell voltages. As a security is also ensured by the integrated buzzer. This is made by Summer error code information. If the capacity of the batteries is inclined and undervoltage threatened, it will be clearly displayed. From the station from a maximum of 16 and Prop-2 switching channels can be controlled. On the side of the battery backer, any number of servos are operated in parallel, by awarding them the same channel number. On the program software and the ways of running directions, response times, etc., of each servo channels are individually adjustable, thus no complicated programming and power matching is required at the battery backer. In addition, parallel and serial channels can be used simultaneously. The maximum number of usable servos, it is limited only by the power and will, depending on the Servotyp in practice for up to 36 servos.
Due to the small number of connectors and highly effective technique for cooling fan, the battery backer with 122 x 80 x 33 mm is very small and with 200 g (220 g) also very light. The switch is mounted on vibration damping rubber pad with 4 screws in the model. The electrical connections are all set, so that the switch can be easily changed from model to model. Furthermore, the battery backer has an SD card slot. Through this port with bootloader function, the software can always be kept up to date. The SD card is also used for recording. The most important flight data can be displayed on both the attachable LCD box as well as via SD card, easily transferred to the PC and then read out and displayed, with the indicator on the LCD box is no SD card required. Due to the huge storage capacity of the SD card can also still a veritable model of log will be saved.

The following dates are available:
Voltage battery 1 +2 in the course of last flight
Capacity consumption of battery 1 +2 in the last flight
Residual capacity of battery 1 +2 (only if the total capacity has previously been set correctly or programmed!)
Current load current
Maximum load current
Average load current
Flight time, etc.
Number of receivers results 1 +2

Delivery:
Double power supply PSS 2018
Magnetic switch (internal)
SD Card

Specifications:
Voltage: 2 x 5 NC / NiMH batteries or 2 x 2S LiPo batteries or 2 x 2S LiFe batteries Volts
Input:
FASST 2 x S-BUS signal
4 x satellite spectrum

Power supply:
2 x 5 NC / NiMH batteries or
2 x 2S LiFe batteries or
2 x 2S LiPo batteries

Outputs:
S-BUS output 1
(A1 + A2): 5.4 V - 6.0 V - 6.6 V or 7.4 V, 10 A time - 16 A. Briefly 50A with fan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22428.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1377437  
Old 02-14-2010, 06:20 AM
BaldEagel

Default RE: Futaba/Robbe PowerBox

Costs seem to be RRP 450EU, but have seen one ad for them at 408EU in Germany, so far 101 veiws and not one comment?

Mike
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike

This is a very interesting development and I understand was a joint effort between Robbe and Futaba using the well known Fasst system. You need to look at all the items on the Robbe web site. There is a full English translation. I know that they showed it at the recent Nuremburg model show. It uses special servos and a special Rx. This by using the bus system allows 18 servos to be attached and programmed using the 8 channel reciever. It may take a while to absorb what this totally new system offers. Colin Straus had the first UK system in his hands just before Nuremberg.

John
Old 02-14-2010, 07:13 AM
BaldEagel

John

I have been looking at the Robbe web site for years its always interesting, using 18 servos from an 8 channel Rx is interesting I wonder? are they all indipendant and proportional, similar to the 26 channels you can get from a 6014 12+2 channel Rx, I have to admit that I am supprised that the currently available 26 channel FASST has not featured in RCJI is it planned in the future?

Mike
Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Jgwright

Mike

I believe so but the catch will be using the special servos from Robbe. Perhaps Colin would respond if he has more news on both this and the 26 channel Rx.

John
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM
BaldEagel

John

There is not a 26 channel Rx its the MPX1 system plugged into the standard 6014 Futaba Rx that gives the extra channels on the Multiprop screen in the standard 12FG and above Tx, each MPX1 (two max) are plugged into channels 11 & 12 once the data plug has been bridged and this will give an additonal eight proportional channels each and the facility to use a back up battery for these channels, ATV, AFR, Dual rate etc all work on the extra channels, the only lacking feature I have found is the inability to trim those channels, No special servo's required with these, any standard Futaba, JR or Hitec will work as normal.

Mike
Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Its also not a Powerbox...

Dw
Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More info > [link=http://at.robbe-online.net/rims_at.storefront/EN/product/1-F1660]http://at.robbe-online.net/rims_at.storefront/EN/product/1-F1660[/link]
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, thanks for the pointer to the additional info. I wonder how it can tell, if there are two FASST receivers, which one has a stronger signal (wondered this about some other multi-RX setups too) .. I was not aware the FASST receivers had an output indicating signal strength or quality.

Dave
Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi friends.

One thing to point out: this battery/servo manager is mainly a Robbe development. As per Futaba staff at Nüremberg, Robbe bought an electronic German company with previous knoledge on these products -they didn´t revealed which one- and started what have been a request from Futaba distributors worlwide, the design and development of such an accessory.

As far as Futaba explained it will only be available direct from Robbe and from Robbe distributors and when asked about why it showed the Futaba name, they explained that is due they allowed the BUS technology for it and that got the rights for selling the unit in Japan.

As we were explained, the unit is designed only to be used with new S-BUS receivers and with S-BUS servos and standar servos using S-BUS adaptors. One thing that was quite impresive were the thick oxigen free copper 3 wire cables to which -via special conectors- were pluged the servos along the show table model.

Best Regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 AM
BaldEagel

This is starting to get confusing, extract from the technical spec:

Technical Data:
Input:
2 x FASST S-BUS Signal
4 x Spektrum Satellites

Seems to suggest that FASST can be used and so can Spektrum Satellites, now is that in combination or .................................?

I don't think we will know for sure until someone has the unit in thier hands and reports on it, or an in depth review in a mag, over to you John.

Mike
Old 02-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Flying Arrow
My Feedback: (6)

For Futaba FASST users, Would the issue about place of purchase (US vs Europe) effect how the device works?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:07 AM
BaldEagel

As far as I know the Rx's are not regionally coded, certainly the Rx's I bought in the US and in HK work with my UK Tx.

Mike
Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM
BaldEagel

More information available here: http://www.rcmarket.org/s-bus-pg-32.html

Seems you can use any servo with this system, even mix S-BUS with standard on the same BUS line, at the bottom of the page above is a catalogue to download which has a full spec on the unit together with new type Futaba Rx's.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66494.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1391467  
Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

This is starting to get confusing, extract from the technical spec:

Technical Data:
Input:
2 x FASST S-BUS Signal
4 x Spektrum Satellites

Seems to suggest that FASST can be used and so can Spektrum Satellites, now is that in combination or .................................?

I don't think we will know for sure until someone has the unit in thier hands and reports on it, or an in depth review in a mag, over to you John.

Mike
It is saying you can use 2 FASST OR 4 Specktrum RX’s not both together.
S Bus is known in other circles as Serial Bus.
If it is the same then it basically reduces wiring.
You can connect multiple servos to one bus / Signal wire (bit like USB).
Each servo has a code which makes it unique. (GUID or similar).
Output from the unit prefixes command data with the code for the required servo.
Each servo only responds to a command prefixed by its unique code.
Same principle as computer networks like LAN (Local Area Network).

Paul
Old 03-05-2010, 07:17 PM
BaldEagel

Ohh so you have read the latest spec as well. LOL

Mike