Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lifetime warranty or not

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
lifetime
52.59%
3-5 yrs is fine
29.31%
anything over a year
18.10%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Lifetime warranty or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lifetime warranty or not

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: sailing1

Andy,
I guess I do not understand your analogy. If I start looking at two turbines with about the same list price and turbine A requres a 25 hour service that is NORMALLY $250 and Turbine B states that it also has a 25 hour service requirement that is guarenteed for life to not exceed $250 and oh buy the way should anything else break during the life of the turbine is it covered by the factory (excluding FOD, crash and stupidity) - well how could that cost any more and wouldn't it be a whole lot of piece of mind?
The analogy is based on the fact that most turbines made buy reputable companies require little if no service if properly cared for. Turbine A doesn't require a 25 hour service. It requires service when its not working and in the example above, ie the 100 hour scenario. Turbine B makes you pay for the service in advance even if you don't need it every 25 hours.

I wonder how many turbines actually reach 25 hours without their owners damaging them in any way, and hence having things like bearing changes done as part of a post-crash repair (which they then pay for) rather than having them done (IF even needed) during a routine checkup / service ?

If we consider an average flight to consist of 8 minutes of turbine run time, 25 hours is what - a little under 200 flights ? I dunno about the guys that all of you fly with, but I'd guess that fewer than 30% of the guys I know will do that many flights without crashing their aircraft or selling it. So, if there is only a 30% chance of actually using the prepaid service that you shelled out $250 for, then that equates to about $830 being paid for each prepaid service that actually gets used. Is it worth it to pay that money for a service that you have such low odds of actually using ? That's a highly subjective assessment. For me, it isn't - for others it may be.

Now obviously I am just estimating percentages here, but the principal applies regardless of whatever figures you guys experience.

Gordon

Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
kingtight
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifetime warranty is like health insurance almost......when you don't have it thats when you will need it[X(]
Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI ALL, I think it is just great, fly your turbine for 25 hours, all the time, knowing if somthing inside the turbine fails, theirs no cost to you. Then at 25 hours, send it in for service, pay your $250 and fly for another 25 hours, with a peice of mind knowing you will never get stuck for a $1000.00 dollar bill.
Thumbs up to Jet Central
Rcpete
Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

I wonder how many turbines actually reach 25 hours without their owners damaging them in any way, and hence having things like bearing changes done as part of a post-crash repair (which they then pay for) rather than having them done (IF even needed) during a routine checkup / service ?

If we consider an average flight to consist of 8 minutes of turbine run time, 25 hours is what - a little under 200 flights ? I dunno about the guys that all of you fly with, but I'd guess that fewer than 30% of the guys I know will do that many flights without crashing their aircraft or selling it. So, if there is only a 30% chance of actually using the prepaid service that you shelled out $250 for, then that equates to about $830 being paid for each prepaid service that actually gets used. Is it worth it to pay that money for a service that you have such low odds of actually using ? That's a highly subjective assessment. For me, it isn't - for others it may be.

Now obviously I am just estimating percentages here, but the principal applies regardless of whatever figures you guys experience.

Gordon
Actually, I trashed two Jetcats last year [:@]

However, that's two more than I ever had before (and hopefully more than I will in the future). My other Jetcats have hundreds of flights that I've put on them and I bought two of then used with plenty of time on them when I bought them (one was a BVM demo turbine). Even with that level of use, they simply haven't had any reason to be serviced - they just keep going,and going, and going....

Bob
Old 04-23-2010, 10:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking it would be kind of nice to know the ownership cost per hours operated of all the major turbines on the market butI would bet that Jet Central
is not significantly lower, But then again I could be wrong im just guessing.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let me get this straight, you're supposed to send in Jet Cats every 25 hours for service, but some of you don't? You just keep running them until something goes wrong?

Jet Cat does recommend sending them in for service every 25 hours though, correct? Or no?

Jim
Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me, the warranty supplied with the turbine means absolutely nothing.

There is only ONE criteria that matters for me, and that is reliability. I want a turbine that just starts and runs. When I go to an event or the flying field, I go there to fly. Just fuel and go. Normally 10+ flights a day. Most of my flying bud's are the same way. We go to the field to fly a lot.

All turbine brands have problems now or then. Some way more than other. To me there is nothing more annoying that to have to send an engine in for repair. Free repair or not. It's the annoying downtime. Worse than that is airframe damage due to flame out's or start up fires. I've seen way to much of that over the years.

With that in mind, the only brands that goes in my jets are JetCat or AMT Netherlands. If they came with lifetime warranty, it would be nice I guess, but warranty would not be a factor in my choice what to buy.

I still have yet to see anyone of the guys in the group I fly with being sucessful in the long haul with any other brand. (people who fly a minimum of 200+ flights per year)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Eagle Driver

I had a Super Eagle with the Lifetime Warranty ......
after 12 flights the electric starter didnt work, no crash, no damages .....
send it to the german service center an "HAVE TO PAY" for repair.
Got the invoice with the notice there is no warranty on the starter !!!

That sucks .....

Old 04-24-2010, 12:30 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The starter should have been covered, especially after only 12 starts. Here's a quote from Jet Central's website...
"Component Protection. Covers all components of the turbine with exception of Glow Plug."

http://www.jetcentral.com.mx/english/garantia.htm
Old 04-24-2010, 01:02 PM
gruntled

JetCentral USA replaced my starter for free. I had it in a bout 3 days with no need to send the turbine in.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Eagle Driver

JetCentral USA replaced my starter for free
Not over here, the german service center told me there is no warranty .....
I had two super eagles and two rhinos, after that i was so worried that i sold
them all on ebay. I canceled the fifth that was ordered at this time.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:15 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eagle Driver

JetCentral USA replaced my starter for free
Not over here, the german service center told me there is no warranty .....
I had two super eagles and two rhinos, after that i was so worried that i sold
them all on ebay. I canceled the fifth that was ordered at this time.

First you have to return the damage starter for inspection. Now if you damage your start then you will be charge to replace it. Well thats what I was told about my RHINO >WAIT FOR IT.. WAIT FOR IT ........ (Clue..ECU..ARTES..)
Old 04-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Once my Rhino starter gave up.. Got a new one from Eric within 3 days.. even before sending mine.. Flew again next weekend
Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

Once my Rhino starter gave up.. Got a new one from Eric within 3 days.. even before sending mine.. Flew again next weekend
WHy its every body case is special but mines how well

Absolutely not. You will get your replacement starter motor assembly as promissed at no charge including shipping. Just need your old starter motor assembly sent to me for replacement. ONCE RECEIVED you new one will go out same day.

Thanks,
Eric Clapp
Jet Central Micro Turbines

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...#ixzz0m75PG8PD
Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 PM
gruntled

Ditto Edgar - The new one went out ASAP before the old one was sent back.