Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

Yup DMSS (FHSS) is on its way, goodbye DMS2. I sold all of my Spektrum stuff DX-7, 5 receivers, replaced it with a Hitec Aurora 9, with 6 receivers, for the same price, and have never looked back. The Hitec Adaptive Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum System (AFHSS), with Telemetry and Touch Screen, and one of the highest interference rejection ever tested. Great radio, great price.

It is painfull to see those DSM2 problems, but it has been noted by more than one independent tester, and you guys I am sure are all aware of the problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:55 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

is anyone using the hitec on jets?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Ahhh......give me spekturm over Hitec any day![:'(]

I'll wait a few months to see if my 9303 can be adapted to the new JR system.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm convinced that 99.9% of all JR lockout problems are related to poor voltage regulation or low voltage.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
gunradd

Well I am not! I tested my system with one battery and it carried the entire load without going into low voltage and I had 2 separate batts and 2 separate voltage regulators each capable of carrying the whole load by itself. Also I lost 3 planes before this last one due to 100% transmitter failure with a bad board inside that horizon fixed or at least I think they did............
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Well I am not! I tested my system with one battery and it carried the entire load without going into low voltage and I had 2 separate batts and 2 separate voltage regulators each capable of carrying the whole load by itself. Also I lost 3 planes before this last one due to 100% transmitter failure with a bad board inside that horizon fixed or at least I think they did............
so you've lost 4 planes now? Strange, I've never even had a glitch once with any of my jets or foamies. All of your lockouts were in the same area?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 PM
gunradd

I lost 3 because of a bad transmitter and I kept blaming the installation or servos anything but the 2.4 system but after 3 and then got major glitching after that I had enough and sent all the equipment I had back in. They sent me all new receivers and said I had a bad RF board in the transmitter and it was putting out a reduced signal. So now after all that is fixed now sometimes my screen is backwards or the model is unreadable in the screen with messed up letters but I cycle power and then its fine. Called horizon and they said it happens sometimes. Well now after loosing another plane enough is enough. Problem is I am going to be done all together flying because I cant shell out all the cash for an entire new system and retrofit all my planes also. So I guess I will build another plane and hope better systems come to the market soon.

Forgot to mention during one of the flights I had 3 major glitches with a JR rep spotting for me so he saw it all first hand and then got me in touch with John Adams at horizon. He is a nice guy but didn't believe my story about my first F16 flying away till it was almost out of site with no control at all. It took 3 weeks to find the wreckage. Plane flew all buy itself for who knows how long. Had to use a full scale piper cub to find the darn thing. then use another RC plane with a video camera to find out how to get to the thing.

Just tired of making all these excuses for a crappy radio system.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

There are plenty of Big Scale...42% Plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3QFv...eature=related

and Turbines flying on Hitec AFHSS with the BODA Antenae, (Google the Aurora 9) as well as the 9-channel with dual antenae..

Damn dude, they used a Segway to perform a range test armed with a GPS to measure the distance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FKS6qKVFqw

If I can get that range especially concerning the topographics, I'll take it...

But what do I know I just work for NASA...
Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My friend works for NASA too......in the mail room
Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spektrum claimed my plane over the weekend at an event. I was using AR9100 with dual voltage regulators and dual lipos. 4 receivers and all was set up using the flight log and rating the plane. The plane had about 20 great flights prior. Then this last flight it locked me out and I could not make a turn then came back made the turn and then a few seconds later it locked out again and in the ground it went. RIP

Now the problem is I am going to be grounded for a long time to save for a fasst system or keep flying and pray!
Man...seems like every time I get on RCU there's another horror story about JR/Spektrum 2.4

I am literally days away from a maiden on my SM L-39. My setup looks like it's right in the heart of the failure envelope: x9303 and AR9100, dual A123's (no regulators, figure two less failure points). Now, I've had zero problems with my x9303 and AR6100/6200/r921 RX's in my other planes. But, they are all electric or glow planes. But, I'm wondering if I've got a ticking time bomb here with the JR/Spektrum setup in a turbine.

Switching to Futaba isn't in the budget at this point. I'm wondering if the Weatronics TX module/RX might be a good compromise. Anyone have first-hand experience with a JR x9303/Weatronics combo? And, is the module removable so the x9303 can be used normally (ie with all my other planes)?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can come over here to Mobile and we'll put my Aurora in it and fly it I'm using my aurora in my new shockjet. I still don't have much time on it in jets but I've been using it a lot in my giant scale stuff... 37.5% yak etc.. Here in the next week or so (fingers crossed) they should have all of the telemetry stuff out for it also!!!! GPS, airspeed, altitude, fuel level, rpm, temp sensors, etc! Got it on order, can't wait!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

Sluggo, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. If you have had no problems with your X9303 you are going to be fine..I have been flying My DV8R for about 3.5 years using the 93032.4 and a AR9100 RX on A123 dual batteries..never an issue in over 200 flights. I also fly the 10X on the Spekrum module in my Euro Fighter using the AR9000RX. Over 100 flights on it without issue. My JMP Hustler with the 9303 and AR9100 with A123 has also been flawless in 50 flights or so... I think the guy who lost all his jets could be an isolated problem with a bad TX. Personally If I had a TX that had a componet failure and returned to the factory, I would still get rid of the radio and start with a fresh one, in any brand..... Do the proper range checks, check your batteries every flight and you should be good 99.99% of the time..

The Dual A123 CELLS without regulators is the most reliable way to power your RX period.

Dennis
Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
fireblade5437

Why don't you use a 12ch Robbe/Ripmax Tx module with Futaba R6014HS !!! I use this on my JR9XII plus when I use on my Graupner MX22 I get the full 12 channels ..WEATRONICS very nice but if cost is an issue go with the Robbe/Ripmax Tx module.

Alan
Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: lavi rider

Yesterday, my friend lost his Fei-Bao MB339 due to his JR12x 2.4 system....it happened on his third flight that day when the model "went" into a strange situation the servos moved and slightly rolled the plane and the engine went to full throtle....it flew uncontrolled for some 10 seconds before it went in.

The model has logged some thirty flights in all.

After some inspection surprisingly the receiver still "works" and when connecting the servos to it they all move to a certain point and the throttle command is to full power.. I have to state that there was no Fail-Safe dialed in ever... and it stays like that without regaining control over the servos at all....it's locked..

Has anyone out there encountered a situation like this?

I have seen the RX symptom after a crash, the RX light comes on solid and moves the servos to a certain position but will not move servos from that point? In my instance it was a horrible crash due to a structural failure at high speed. the RX was knocked out of the case, I reassembled it and sent the RX to Horizon and they repaired it and sent it back, the invoice was no charge, it just stated that they installed the latest firmware and checked it all out to be within factory specs. It seems to work and is currently in a trainer as a test bed.

In my case the RX failure was obviously caused by the crash but the symptoms sound identical. by the way mine was a R921 receiver.

I guess I crashed it so hard I knocked the firmware out of it! LOL

Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
tfarmer96

This is a very interesting topic every time it comes up. I don’t get it we have lots of folks running this stuff with no problem (my self-included) and then we get this stuff happening. After 30 flights I would bless any equipment sound. It’s quite baffling. However before 2.4 I was always hearing about how a plane went in because of a hit or a glitch. I’m not sure any of it is bullet proof.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM
VF84sluggo

ORIGINAL: Delta Mike

Sluggo, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. If you have had no problems with your X9303 you are going to be fine..I have been flying My DV8R for about 3.5 years using the 93032.4 and a AR9100 RX on A123 dual batteries.....The Dual A123 CELLS without regulators is the most reliable way to power your RX period.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 PM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well guys.........add me to the mystery. Last week I lost my F16 at the Maine Jet Rally. Same scenario as described earlier, uncommanded right roll and spiral to the ground. The plane was being flown at the time by a very competent pilot and very smoothly at that, I must add.

This plane has had several flights prior, approx. 15 or so. It was eqipped with Duralite A123s (2) on the receiver, 1 Duralite LiMang on the ECU, Fromeco Wolverine for the switch. Tx is a JR12X with a 1221 rx with 3 satelites.

The emergency arose after about approx. 3 minutes into the flight. Nothing survived the crash so we couldn't get a signal read off the Flight Log. One strange coincidence the CD told me there has now been 2 planes that crashed (at different times) in the same vicinity.

I think at this point I should send my tx on for a checkout. It could very well be the problem actually for al we know. I consider it cheap insurance for my other planes.

We are just searching and hoping for a realistic probable cause before any of our other planes fall victim to the same cause.

Any thoghts??

-SK
Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
tfarmer96

thats a good thought. Can you update the firmware at home with the 12x. I only ask because i can do it on my 11x. Also i have been told when you send the RX in they do a firmware update on it before it goes back out the door. That would make me ask how would you up date the firmware on the RX at home...?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:59 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

Please check this out and decide yourself, the following is my experience with DMS2
test review video(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy7Gg6Tj57Q)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy7Gg6Tj57Q
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dsm2flaw.shtml
www.rcmodelreviews.com

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/horizons_tricks.shtml

This test shows how DMS2 works, Spektrum picks two channels at random and it could pick two that are too close together making your plane get a hit by one outside source and crash. I think this is the reason we see the same types of crashes.
1) Not going to fail safe settings, plane just rolls.
2) Total loss of control and not getting it back.
3) All the Lights are on solid after crash.
I fly at 2 different fields and at one it is near a large industrial park and lots of communication towers around. I have been hit and was able to land and turn off the system and turn back on and go fly without a problem. I have been using the Flight Logger on each flight and can see that when I get a glitch the errors are maxed out at 999 and turn on and off the very next flight have errors less than 20. After checking out the above web site I can see what is happing. The field that is out in the country I never has had an error over 20. (All timed 8 minute flights for collecting data, glitch flights were always less than 3 minutes) I do not think this system can be called bullet proof, and it looks like you are rolling the dice on if you have one bad channel or 2 bad channels.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have your failsafe set correctly, you should not get a "glitch" if both DMS2 channels are blocked by an outside interferer, you should get a "failsafe" (or hold, if you don't have failsafe setup) occurance. There seems to be a lot of reports out there of DSM2 equipped planes loosing control link with the TX, but *not* going into the failsafe as the owner/pilot originally setup. This would indicate a failure in the system that is other than an RF link that is blocked by interference.

Bob
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
3dsky

It has been my experience to be different; all problems have been glitches then crash. The lights are on and the system works fine after. At the start of each flight the lights are checked. Flight Logger will have very high errors and no fades and no holds after an incident. I have had the engine pulse up and down while the plane rolls or pitches up or down. Sometimes I can get the plane back. All my failsafe are set to engine off and neutral on controls. I have even purposely set my failsafe to full throttle and full up and when the problem comes up I do not see the failsafe settings. There are spots at my field that are known spots for RF interference and they are the same for both 72 and 2.4. WHY? What type of RF can hit both systems? I have switched back to JR PCM 72 in my big planes until I am convinced the DMS2 works as well as FASST. (Cannot afford to invest in another system I have 12 DMS2 RXs) WE do not see any problems with FASST at this field, again WHY?
The test data tells me why. So why isn’t someone addressing this at Spektrum? Disclamer, I do not care what brand of radio I use, I am not out to bash Spektrum but I do have to trust the equipment I take to the field with a crowd around. Knowing what I know from my experience with DMS2 and the above test data it is clear a problem exists. Not every field is going to be the same.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
gunradd

I know that's how it should work but on my first F16 crash I put the gear down then right after the plane flew all over the sky and none of the commands where from the transmitter and continued for about a minute this way with me running across the field like it was a 72mhz controller trying to get it back. It went almost out of site then crashed. Also before my bad transmitter board was fixed I had 3 glitches in one flight. In all cases fail safe was set up correctly. I even have an extension of the bind port on my last F16 so when ever I trimmed it out a little better I updated the fail safe and rebound. It does NOT always go to fail safe like it should.

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

If you have your failsafe set correctly, you should not get a ''glitch'' if both DMS2 channels are blocked by an outside interferer, you should get a ''failsafe'' (or hold, if you don't have failsafe setup) occurance. There seems to be a lot of reports out there of DSM2 equipped planes loosing control link with the TX, but *not* going into the failsafe as the owner/pilot originally setup. This would indicate a failure in the system that is other than an RF link that is blocked by interference.

Bob
Old 09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
3dsky

[/quote]
with me running across the field like it was a 72mhz controller trying to get it back

I love the good old days, when you ran after your plane and got it back.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
VF84sluggo

Just when I was about to pull the trigger and switch to Futaba, I find a discussion on another 'giants' flying forum where a guy's q500 race plane lawn-darted. He was using a 12FG. It can be found on that Giants Flying forum under "Futaba 12fg problem and crash."
Old 09-17-2010, 05:13 PM
tfarmer96

wow its just never ends jr Futaba etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.