Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

This could not have happened at a worse time...

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

This could not have happened at a worse time...

Old 08-17-2010, 07:59 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This could not have happened at a worse time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3GHqMObjcM

I hope the FAA does not ban all R/C flying at full scale airports because of this...

Beave

Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 PM
gruntled

Default RE: This could not have happened at a worse time...

More details here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292882

Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

And more news here...

http://www.aero-news.net/
Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 PM
SinCityJets

If only this would have happened two days earlier!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: bevar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3GHqMObjcM

I hope the FAA does not ban all R/C flying at full scale airports because of this...

Beave

Why post it... Everyone will see it anyway..

Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people have been watching it and commenting for the last 2 days.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 PM
causeitflies

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

????
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

????
There is never a good time for something like this to happen.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Molnar142
My Feedback: (38)

This entire incident is ridiculous, irresponsible and totally avoidable.
In my opinion, no one in this incident is without blame. I don’t understand how a low level flyby by the full scale pilot is permissible with pedestrians so close to the active runway. I would hold the full scale pilot and airport manager/air boss directly responsible for that. As for the R/C pilot, why the punk like overtones in his post on another forum? He and the videographer (from the sounds of which could not refrain from toking on a joint before shooting the video) give outsiders to the hobby the impression that all R/C modelers are just another group of Bevis and Butthead’s too irresponsible and inconsiderate to be trusted with such machines…especially at an airport. If that isn’t enough, what would be the reason for posting this video other than gloating that you collided with a full scale plane? Is this like some badge of honor? If you truly enjoy, care and hold some consideration about the longevity of this recreation/hobby, what good could possibly come by posting such video on YouTube? Does the world really need to see and ponder the risks of some intelligence challenged people holding/performing in such misguided events?

The decisions made and the mannerisms shown following this case are truly discouraging and depressing. I still wonder if the intelligence level for the vast majority of Americans hovers around the 3rd to 4th grade level.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely agree. If you think that your buddys on the forum are the only ones who are going to see your post regarding something of this magnitude you are sorely mistaken.
Obviously this guy didn't get the memo we've all gotten for years.
Certainly an unfortunate set of circumstances, but the aftermath comments are equally as harmful as the incident itself.
*****clowns imho.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The thing that pissed me off the most about that video, was the complete LACK of thought put towards the people in the Biplane that had 2 lives in it. I mean damn, the punk kid and his buddy were more worried about his Toy and how the guy in the biplane was responsible for his loss of $8,000. Who cares if the pilot and passenger would of been killed, just as long as all of his buddies knew who's fault it was by posting the video on youtube.[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Hell, Whoever the coordinator was for that fly-inn is the #1 person who started stacking the deck of cards for that incident. Their is no way you would ever see spectators THAT close to an active runway at any time anywhere! And if your going to mix RC and Full-scale you make sure there were Notams posted (i'm not sure if there were in this instance) and that All pilots who are participating in the Fly-inn KNOW the rules. And i'm not even going to get started on the pilot of the biplane.. what he did was completely irresponsible, enough said. If the RC pilot was truly doing a "demo" then the fly-inn coordinator or air-boss should not of allowed any type of full-scale traffic unless in the case of an emergency...

Complete irresponsibility and incompetency on many individual persons shoulders. The repercussions from this are going to be huge i'm afraid..
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like it was a combined full size & model show. Never a good mixture. It requires a great deal of expertise to ensure safety. In this case, it looks like the organisers hadn't got a clue.
No model should be flying while full size are flying.
The pilot of the biplane was a total idiot doing a low pass over people on the runway. It appears he he did not have permission to do this.
I consider the model pilot was the least at fault. He obviously had clearance to fly, as you can see one of the organisers with a radio beside him.
It was a total screw up by the show organisers.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Jim Cattanach

ORIGINAL: invertmast

The thing that pissed me off the most about that video, was the complete LACK of thought put towards the people in the Biplane that had 2 lives in it. I mean damn, the punk kid and his buddy were more worried about his Toy and how the guy in the biplane was responsible for his loss of $8,000. Who cares if the pilot and passenger would of been killed, just as long as all of his buddies knew who's fault it was by posting the video on youtube.[:@][:@][:@][:@]
I do not think you would be well pleased if having been cleared to fly, you had $8,000 wiped out through no fault of your own.
You also may have wanted to have a word with one of these two people & it would not have been "I hope you are ok".
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 AM
STKNRUD

Some miss-takes are terribly expensive. Fortunately this one didn't take any lives and everyone involved should thank God they even have a chance to ponder 'shoulda, coulda, woulda'.

George
Old 08-18-2010, 12:15 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Jascat100

I do not think you would be well pleased if having been cleared to fly, you had $8,000 wiped out through no fault of your own.
You also may have wanted to have a word with one of these two people & it would not have been ''I hope you are ok''.

I've lost over $15,000 in a less than 1 month while in this hobby, and don't even want to think about how much i've spent over the years.. Personally, In the 21 years i have been doing this i have learned that "***** happens", and loosing an airplane doesn't bother me at all. yea it sucks, but i don't mope around and whine like a 10 year old not getting his ice-cream because of it. As both an Rc AND Commercial Pilot who routinely operates under 500' AGL (legally) If i was flying an RC model and I just had a mid-air collision with a full-scale airplane with people on board, my first thoughts would be going towards them.

And It was just as much the RC pilots fault as it was the full-scale pilots and the Air-boss'. At most uncontrolled airports (which the one they are operating at surely was) it is not a Requirement to have a 2 way communication radio in the full-scale airplane. And most pitts airplanes only carried a hand-held comm radio to keep weight down. So Where i come in saying it is JUST as much the RC pilots fault, is because he is responsible for making sure flying HIS aircraft is done in as safe a manner as possible. When you are operating it at any time where there could be heavy congestion or un-expected issues, you SHOULD have a spotter and make sure that spotter knows he is responsible for 2 things. IN this case, it should of been Scanning for traffic in the airport vicinity and coordinating with the air-boss of the event. A pitts is a small airplane and not easy to see, but as soon as the smoke was noticed (which in the video was a pretty long time) and with the guy "hovering" directly over the runway, he should of had a bail out plan to land ASAP, which is not a difficult thing to do with as much room that he had and the altitude and airspeed he was carrying, not begin climbing into the flight path of the impending airplane.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 AM
dubd

You also may have wanted to have a word with one of these two people & it would not have been ''I hope you are ok''.

I've lost over $15,000 in a less than 1 month while in this hobby, and don't even want to think about how much i've spent over the years.. Personally, In the 21 years i have been doing this i have learned that ''***** happens'', and loosing an airplane doesn't bother me at all. yea it sucks, but i don't mope around and whine like a 10 year old not getting his ice-cream because of it. As both an Rc AND Commercial Pilot who routinely operates under 500' AGL (legally) If i was flying an RC model and I just had a mid-air collision with a full-scale airplane with people on board, my first thoughts would be going towards them.

And It was just as much the RC pilots fault as it was the full-scale pilots and the Air-boss'. At most uncontrolled airports (which the one they are operating at surely was) it is not a Requirement to have a 2 way communication radio in the full-scale airplane. And most pitts airplanes only carried a hand-held comm radio to keep weight down. So Where i come in saying it is JUST as much the RC pilots fault, is because he is responsible for making sure flying HIS aircraft is done in as safe a manner as possible. When you are operating it at any time where there could be heavy congestion or un-expected issues, you SHOULD have a spotter and make sure that spotter knows he is responsible for 2 things. IN this case, it should of been Scanning for traffic in the airport vicinity and coordinating with the air-boss of the event. A pitts is a small airplane and not easy to see, but as soon as the smoke was noticed (which in the video was a pretty long time) and with the guy ''hovering'' directly over the runway, he should of had a bail out plan to land ASAP, which is not a difficult thing to do with as much room that he had and the altitude and airspeed he was carrying, not begin climbing into the flight path of the impending airplane.

You don't sound like a 10 year old kid; you sound like a grumpy old man. You can clearly hear the RC pilot being told that the full scale pilot landed safe. Furthermore, the RC pilot had a spotter (guy on the radio in case you're not paying attention) and he told the RC pilot to get out of the way, which he tried to do. And since you seem to know everything, I need to point out to you that moving a 46% plane out of a hover (READ: CLIMBING) doesn't happen fast. You should really get your facts together or read more on the subject before passing judgment.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: dubd

I've lost over $15,000 in a less than 1 month while in this hobby, and don't even want to think about how much i've spent over the years.. Personally, In the 21 years i have been doing this i have learned that ''***** happens'', and loosing an airplane doesn't bother me at all. yea it sucks, but i don't mope around and whine like a 10 year old not getting his ice-cream because of it. As both an Rc AND Commercial Pilot who routinely operates under 500' AGL (legally) If i was flying an RC model and I just had a mid-air collision with a full-scale airplane with people on board, my first thoughts would be going towards them.

And It was just as much the RC pilots fault as it was the full-scale pilots and the Air-boss'. At most uncontrolled airports (which the one they are operating at surely was) it is not a Requirement to have a 2 way communication radio in the full-scale airplane. And most pitts airplanes only carried a hand-held comm radio to keep weight down. So Where i come in saying it is JUST as much the RC pilots fault, is because he is responsible for making sure flying HIS aircraft is done in as safe a manner as possible. When you are operating it at any time where there could be heavy congestion or un-expected issues, you SHOULD have a spotter and make sure that spotter knows he is responsible for 2 things. IN this case, it should of been Scanning for traffic in the airport vicinity and coordinating with the air-boss of the event. A pitts is a small airplane and not easy to see, but as soon as the smoke was noticed (which in the video was a pretty long time) and with the guy ''hovering'' directly over the runway, he should of had a bail out plan to land ASAP, which is not a difficult thing to do with as much room that he had and the altitude and airspeed he was carrying, not begin climbing into the flight path of the impending airplane.

You don't sound like a 10 year old kid; you sound like a grumpy old man. You can clearly hear the RC pilot being told that the full scale pilot landed safe. Furthermore, the RC pilot had a spotter (guy on the radio in case you're not paying attention) and he told the RC pilot to get out of the way, which he tried to do.
LOL..... I believe he was told he landed safe after the Rc pilot walked away ticked off and cursing, and then coming back with his "blanket" to retrieve the remains, i may be wrong, i've got a headache and its been a long day. lol... If the guy on the radio was the spotter, his spotter sucked, everything about this incident was avoidable. But Chit happens, we live we learn.

yea im probably a little more outspoken over issues involving full-scale incidents (especially when it gets entangled with other parts of my life) b/c its coming close to the 2 year anniversary where a very good friend lost his life in an airplane crash, in which we STILL have not found Him, the other 2 occupants or the plane.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 AM
dubd

Yes, I agree that this was completely avoidable. I wasn't there to say whether the spotter sucks or not, but both the spotter and RC pilot should have been told before they took off that a full scale was going to do a pass over the runway, which was not communicated.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Most expensive (and only) plane in the stable is a $90 ducted fan A10.

Don't understand why somebody would get bent out of shape over destroying any RC aircraft.

Don't put more into the air than you can afford to set on fire at any given time if you're going to whine about it.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Jim Cattanach

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Don't understand why somebody would get bent out of shape over destroying any RC aircraft.

Don't put more into the air than you can afford to set on fire at any given time if you're going to whine about it.
Time you were in bed. School tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
HJJFFFAA

It's August.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

This is a joke, right?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Jim Cattanach

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

It's August.
Extra tuition never hurt anyone
Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will repeat whatI said in the other thread on the subject and that is I dont see where the rc pilot was at anyfault, He had permission to fly and
it appears the FS pilot either did notdisclose his intention to make a low pass down the runway or did not understand or follow the air boss's
instructions.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

The point is that no one was hurt and hopefully some lessons were learned. People should not over react to this but simply move on

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.