Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tailormade decals vs. Pro-Mark?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tailormade decals vs. Pro-Mark?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:08 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailormade decals vs. Pro-Mark?

Guys,

I've always used tailor-made decals and been super impressed with the quality but know that they can be a little tricky to apply correctly to avoid the clear carrier remaining visible and having to apply setting agent to each one etc so I wondered what the Pro-Mark decals were like?

For those that have used both can I have your opinion? Looks to be like promark are simpler to apply (just rub down and leave in sun) but the waterslide tailor-made probably work better on scale models with raised panel/rivets etc as they shrink down to confirm to the surface etc?

So, any thoughts/preference?

Cheers
Mark
Old 08-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tailormade decals vs. Pro-Mark?

Hi Mark,

I have used both, and personally prefer the results from the Tailormade ones even though they are more work - the end result is well worth the extra effort IMO. My promark ones were pretty inconsistent in terms of how they come off the carrier. Some would come right off as soon as they were gently rubbed with the pro-mark supplied tool ; others on the exact same strip would not come off until so much pressure was applied that I left dents in the wing of my Super Bandit.

I love the way my Tailormade graphics came out on my Jag, and would not hesitate to use them again. It probably also helps that Ralle is the most helpful guy you could ever wish to deal with.

Gordon
Old 08-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Geoff White

Hi Mark,

I would add that I prefer tailormade as you can apply the decal and move it around before you squeeze out the water. With promark its one chance as once its applied(rubbed) you can't move it. Like Gordon, I also found some promark requires you to rub 'firmly' which can leave a dent in the surface.

One advantage of promark is that you don't need to clear over the top as they are fuel proof. With tailormade you must clear over the top to protect them. Its only really a disadvantage if weren't intending to clear such as on a flitemetal model.

But the biggest plus point, for tailormade decals, to me has nothing to do with the product, its the proprietor, Ralle. I had a few issues with the paint and decals on my Hunter which Ralle resolved with a few emails. Fantastic service period. Before anyone gets upset, I am sure Jerry Caudle, the owner of promark, would be equally as helpful if you had a problem using promarks but I have no experience so can't comment.

Geoff.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:22 PM
jetnuno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mark

I have only used Tailor Made and eventhough those are painfull to apply seem to work fine. My first time any way.....just would like that the decals weren't so fragile.

I don't want to highjack your thread, but once you are applying decals, after you will be painting.

I have posted several threads regarding the best available technic for painting and was wondering what do you intend to do with your model?

Are you going to paint with water base paints and then apply 2K automotive clear?

Regards

Nuno
Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

I'm a big Tailormade fan. The last 5 projects I've built have had his decals that I provided custom specs for. You simply can not find a service that has his artistic and custom capabilities and service for anything near his price point; and in fact I'm not sure there are any services known to me regardless of price point that can match him in terms of customization and product delivered in a timely manner. His customization charges are reasonable too, but I'm biased as I've learned his technique and have had so many good experiences with his product.

I've used Promark rivets and some small markings. I like Promark. Promark is a different product than Tailormade though. I find the price point discouraging for me however.

I used Tailormade Decals in my A-4 build - the inlet markings, the "NAVY" lettering, insignia, etc. are waterslide. A clear coat seals it in and it looks like a paint mask. There is some small level of technique required to learn. I was never a master of the decals I used as a kid on plastic models, in fact my results were pathetic then. Now however, I have a lot of success with Tailormade ones on large surfaces like an RC model. Assuming a steady hand, the directions get read and a reasonable amount of patience is used in the process, I think most if not all would have decent results. Worst case scenario - start small and see how you like it - if it's all good, order the rest of the decals and finish up. If it's a fail, wipe clean and spend the cash for another type of marking. The bigger decals require a lot of decal softening agent in multiple layers to get the decals to stretch and conform bubble free and also loose the shimmer that sometimes can be present under neath. But it is very possible to get it looking flawless.

PS - Gordon has a beautiful of example of what can be achieved with this process in his Jag!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18406.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1486748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99810.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1486749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56649.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1486750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq43923.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1486751  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 PM
schroedm

Thanks guys.

To be honest I too have always used Ralle's decals. In fact, I believe I was his first ever () UK customer back in 2004 on my Eurofighter.

He has always delivered and charged very reasonable prices and his custom work is spot on and delivered fast so I think I will stick with what I know. A big plus point that I hadn't thought about was the number of times I've 'tweaked' the position of a decal after I've applied it whilst it is still wet.

So, Ralle, if you're reading I'll mail you very soon

Cheers,
Mark

Name:	Mj24513.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1486756  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

He can make dry rubs too as Ive just got a quote for a custom F5 set. I really like the Tailormade stuff I've had...
Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Craig B.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that's what I like to see Mark! A guy who has hijacked the lounge room and is working on his model in comfort!! Good work man!

I must thank Ralle for his excellent service recently....absolutely top notch! Thanks Ralle!

Craig.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:49 AM
HarryC

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I can reinforce the comments made above. I used Promark on my Sabre and Tailormade on my Super Sabre. Both give excellent results and I would be delighted to use either again. The water slide decals take more work, and some colours such as white need an acrylic clear coat to protect them from the final two-pack clear coat, but the rub downs do sometimes need a lot of pressure or some bit sticks and some doesn't so it breaks, and sometimes I had the rub-down carrier lift paint off the model!. Neither system is both quick and easy, but great scale modelling never is. The deal maker for me is the back-up service I had from Ralf at Tailor Made when I made mistakes and ruined some decals, it's incredible and I will always go to him as my first choice. I can't praise him enough.

H
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority here but I prefer Pro Mark. I just find it a lot simpler to rub on the markings and then clear coat or not. The issue of having to sometimes rub harder can usually be corrected by the application of a little heat with a hair dryer or heat gun. The color/fidelity/quality of the Pro Mark markings I have used over the years is excellent.

I recently tried Tailormade decals on some ordnance and while the color/fidelity is excellent, I had a heck of a time positioning the delicate transfers. It was also a hassle with the two different soulutions you have to use and the mandatory clear coating. In the process, I destroyed as many decals as I successfully applied and all and all, it was a lot more work. Admittedly, the decals I was using were very small, and I'm sure I would have gotten better at it with practice.

I guess a lot of it has to do with what you are familiar with. Obviously, Tailormade is a fine product but my preference is Pro Mark.

BTW, is there a method to do rivets with Tailormade?

Craig

Name:	Hf99995.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1487003  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: CraigG

I guess I'm in the minority here but I prefer Pro Mark. I just find it a lot simpler to rub on the markings and then clear coat or not. The issue of having to sometimes rub harder can usually be corrected by the application of a little heat with a hair dryer or heat gun.
I tried that plus ever other trick I heard about, and still could not get many of the pro-mark deals to come off without so much pressure that the underlying surface was dented. I guess there must be as much of a 'magic touch' needed for Promark as for Tailormade.

Interestingly enough, I found that Aeroloft's dry transfers never had the problem tha the Promark ones had, in releasing from the carrier - but unfortunately Cindy from Aeroloft is such a complete #$%^ to deal with and there's absolutely no point getting decals that work well when a huge portion of them are either missing or provided in the wrong color so her seemingly superior quality materials are more than countered by her disgusting treatment of customers (and her abysmal custom art work that appears to have been done by a 4 year old).

BTW, is there a method to do rivets with Tailormade?
I didn't need to try that for the model I used Tailormade on, since 'recessed' rivets were applied either in the mold by the manufacturer, or after the fact by me with a soldering iron - but given how easliy the carrier disappeared with my decals I guess you could apply them in strips. Not 100% sure though - ask Ralle and he will tell you straight up about any limitations.

Gordon

Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I wrote a little abbot how to apply water slides here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94..._4/key_/tm.htm

Post 94 explains the method I've adopted. The first model I did looked ****e when using watersides so I rubbed them off and started again now I'm quick and can get good results reliably, just practice I suppose. I'd still prefer good dry rubs to watersides though.