RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10016814-c-arf-ultra-flash-build-thread-video.html)

Dave Wilshere 09-21-2010 06:04 AM

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

1 Attachment(s)
So, I've found time to fully unpack the Ultra Flash I collected at JP.
The van talk home, is to have it ready for Classic Jets week friday...Trevor says old Dave no problem, but new "older" Dave he just laughed:eek: Last night I hoped to start some of the accessory assembly, but I just fell to sleep in my chair instead:)

Kit quality is typical CARF, seam is not great on this one, but paint is good and it won't come apart...unless another turns up going the other way:D

My model will have a P120SX, JR 8411, 8401, 579 and 3201 servos, Behotec C36-2 and Jet 1A legs on Intairco wheels. Powerbox Sensor switch and 2 x 22-2600 Li-Po depending what I find with balance point.
Flaps are huge and go 90 degrees! Wheel position is off-set 5mm and channel wider to allow for TL legs.

Dw

Ali 09-21-2010 06:16 AM

RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

It reminds me of my reaction in the "Al's Hobbies" scheme. I might have to get me one!

digitech 09-21-2010 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Ali

It reminds me of my reaction in the ''Al's Hobbies'' scheme. I might have to get me one!

that would be a custom colour costing 250 euro,s more!..:D

Dave Wilshere 09-21-2010 07:56 AM

Sandor

For the legend Ali, I'm sure only 150 euro...

Dw

seflyer 09-21-2010 08:57 AM

so does it appear the new wings will fit the the standard Flash? kinda hoping so.

Kevin

Duncan 09-21-2010 09:24 AM

I doubt they will be giving anyone discount after the 'Demo' at JP ;) what must of been 30k's worth of models, would bankrupt some small compaines

siclick33 09-21-2010 09:32 AM

Some of the design improvements look good but I do like the tip tanks of the standard Flash as it makes it really easy to see. I hope they don't stop production of the old one (or if they do, sell them off at a discount so I can but a spare airframe!!).

digitech 09-21-2010 09:50 AM

as far i know they are giving about 25% discount on the "old"flash.
and yes there will be a update kit for the flash to transform it into the Ultra flash.
fuselage is the same ,therefore this thread is a bit a repeat..

Dave Wilshere 09-21-2010 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sandor, so nothing about building the fuselage....?

It seems so other than scheme matches!

Wheel set up allows leg door covers, or just open.
Dave

Colin Gontier 09-21-2010 01:52 PM

Guys - I just thought why don't we call this the Dave Mashinchy scheme? Then everybody will be happy yeah? :D

U Flash looks pretty. Dunno whether to go for an Ultra Lighning or Ultra Flash now [X(]

Dave Wilshere 09-21-2010 03:17 PM

Colin

You can have an UL in this scheme....ordering now ;)

Dw

Colin Gontier 09-21-2010 04:02 PM

Er um bff what?

This is why I didn't come to jet power - too many toys, too little time ( and money!!)

causeitflies 09-21-2010 08:01 PM

Are the flaps different and did I see a nose gear door in a pic?
What about the span, is it the same? [8D]

teamkaos 09-21-2010 10:43 PM

Hi Dave

Have they made any changes to the main fuel tank or is it still the flat bottom one from the standard Flash?

Rod

Dave Wilshere 09-22-2010 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The span is 71" (1800mm) Flaps are normal and huge, down elevator needed with flap.

Tanks are the same, we have nine or ten Flashes in our local group, none have ever had a tank problem with the units supplied, if you build them as designed...

Dave

gingerbatics 09-22-2010 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: digitech

therefore this thread is a bit a repeat..

No such thing as a badthread as long as it is informative!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

For all the prospective new Ultra Flash customers. It makes sence to see a freshthread from start to finish.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

Keep it coming Dave! and more pictures please.

I'm assuming you will have it ready for Classic Jets next week?http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/50_50.gif

Dave Wilshere 09-22-2010 01:36 PM

It was the idea before I realised how old I am now!
Managed to coat the wood work with ZAP 40 today before leaving the office and will assemble the tanks with supplied hardware (felt clunks in both tanks) tonight.

One of the prototype models had a nose door, it made no difference, so kits come as std Flash.
More servos delivered from JR today so I can run those in ready for fitting.
The build proper needs to start tomorrow or I'm not going to do it! A week should be plenty around family and business!??

Dw

Rob Howarth 09-22-2010 01:48 PM

Get on with it - we're all waiting to have a go with it at Abingdon! Happy to lend a hand at M&R Towers next week :-)

Dave Wilshere 09-22-2010 02:24 PM

Beating customers off with your sticks :D?

modtron 09-22-2010 02:41 PM

Dave,

Rob is worth having around to help out - as Dave Shulman pointed out last weekend, he was worth it just for the preferential parking arrangements !

Cheers,

modtron
Oxford UK

Dave Wilshere 09-22-2010 03:20 PM

We have a special parking space outside the door that only he can use!
I'll have staff back next week if he hasn't broken his neck kite buggying!

I noted looking over the fuselage before I left work they have added a carbon brace to the fin post on the UF.

Dw

niteman 09-22-2010 03:33 PM

Hi Dave,

I'm sure the new UF is going to fly great. Can you tell me if the elevators look the same size and area as the std. flash ?

I ask because the two flashes I have are very "touchy" on elevator control even with lots of expo, inner hole on servo arms, etc......

Look forward to your flight report when you maiden it as to "coupling" during manuevers.......... mine all have mixes to combat roll-out.... and the landing aspect with the new flap and added wing area.

Appreciate the info.

Dan

Geoff White 09-22-2010 03:54 PM

Dave,

If you need any tank work done then I am your man as I have quite a lot of experience with tanks :)

Personally I think we ought to all drop in on Dave on mass and build it for him.

Geoff.

phjoker 09-22-2010 04:46 PM

I like the pocket hinges on the Flaps. I am assuming the Ailerons and Elevators are the same?

Dave Wilshere 09-22-2010 04:47 PM

Tanks finished, but forgot camera!
Models built for me....I like to know its done the Davey way.

Dan will compare tomorrow, the new tail is higher aspect ratio, I'm guessing it will still need plenty of Expo (though I would not call it touchy) opposite aileron with rudder and down with Flap. It could be close to my Graupner Inspiration as the family is the same.

If you watch Thomas Singer's flight it looks locked in as expected

Dave