RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Skygate/CARF Viperjet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10759716-skygate-carf-viperjet.html)

pfact 06-04-2012 04:48 AM

RE: Skygate/CARF Viperjet

Peter

Is there space for the strut covers? The video looks like the wheel strut protrudes above the wing surface.

Phil

Peter A 06-04-2012 10:46 AM

Just barely but I am not using doors at the moment, maybe later I might install them.
You can also Hysol a wooden plate flush with the orginal mount, it will also work very well.

1ricardo 06-09-2012 03:02 PM

Hello

I receive mine last month and i would like to start build it, but since the plane has no manual and i don't want to reinvent the wheel

I wonder if you guys have any pictures of the inside of the airplane for reference or even the manual or CD from skygate

Thank you all for the help

Ricardo

Peter A 06-09-2012 03:58 PM

No manual yet.
I am done the wings so pictures from me of the inside of the airplane will not help you much since nothing is done in the fuse itself, just the wings so far.
I think I was missing aileron servo mounts but I went and bought a couple of JR Ail mounts and used those.
There are components in the hardware pack that I have no idea where they go so I also asked for instructions but none are available.
Like all the sport C-ARF models the Viper builds very easy and quick.
<br type="_moz" />

pfact 06-09-2012 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hear ya Ricardo - there aren't even photos to figure out what is what.

I took some photos of parts I wasn't certain of it would be great if someone out there could tell me what the attached photos are.

1ricardo 06-09-2012 05:09 PM

LOL,

I saw those parts and i have idea too.

Also mine came with out any aileron servo hardware, do you glued the JR hrdw directly to the servo cover?

I think that part on the last picture is the hopper tank base to be glued on the side of the fuse somewhere.

pfact 06-09-2012 05:30 PM

Ricardo,

I don't have a hopper tank - the web site doesn't show one (or the main tank for that matter) and my CARF rep didn't know about it either so I didn't know to order one.

Did you get the email from Andreas about the wing reinforcement kit CARF is sending out after a recent wing failure?

Phil

Peter A 06-09-2012 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: pfact

Did you get the email from Andreas about the wing reinforcement kit CARF is sending out after a recent wing failure?

Phil

No did not even hear of any wing failure, please share more details , thanks
<br type="_moz" />

Peter A 06-09-2012 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: 1ricardo

Also mine came with out any aileron servo hardware, do you glued the JR hrdw directly to the servo cover?

Yes I glued it on the inside of the servo cover, works really well.
<br type="_moz" />

pfact 06-09-2012 06:33 PM

Here is the email I received.

Maybe he'll also surprise with an assembly manual or assembly photos.

Received 6/7/12:

Dear ViperJet Customer!
Dear Sales Reps!

in the past months, we were able to deliver quite a considerable amount of ViperJets to the first, long waiting customers. We are convinced that this new kit is a state-of-the-art design. A highly prefabricated, very complete airdraft with remarkable flying characteristics. The comments of all of you, after receiving the kit, have been very positive. The little criticism we have received, of course has been noted and will find its way into the production process as fast as possible.

Now, there has been one issue, which made us quite concerned and we would like to inform you all about it, so that we can take preventive action as to not repeat the same problem.

We have had one accident, where a wing broke in flight. Conditions were quite strange, and it is possible that a pre-damage or some other issues lead to the problem. However, it has prompted us to look at the wing design very closely and also to make some destructive testing in the factory.

Firstly let me tell you that the results were encouraging. There is no design or manufacturing issue with our wings, we have to assume that this particular accident had nothing to do with a serial issue!

However, while doing these destructive tests, we found where it breaks, if it breaks. Wing tubes had to be bent 45 degree, twist and bending load had to be applied at the same time, to see a wing show signs of failure. Above 10 G we started to see the problem.

But fact is, anyway, that the point of failure was at a quite unexpected point very close to the root rib. Definitely not, where the one accident wing broke.

If you look into the wheel wells, you see a main and a false spar. In the area of the wing tubes, these spars can develop cracks when loaded with high G. Also, we found that the wing tube itself starts to bend when at maximum load.

To solve this problem proactively, and to make a strong wing even stronger, and last but not least, to prevent any possible problem in the future, we would like to notify you herewith to keep your airplane on the ground until you have done a few very simple modifications.

We have prepared small patch kits with 6 CNC milled plywood reinforcements, a few carbon Rovings and a carbon reinforcement for the wing tube.

These sets will be sent to all of you free of charge.

We kindly ask our sales reps to assist our customers with any advice, once these patch kits are shipped out.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask in reply to this email. I will be available to listen to any concern at any time. We stand behind our prouct and we take customer service very serious. That's why we sent this email.

Please inspect your wing, especially if already flown, for any sings of damage in the area shown in the photo below. Please keep your plane on the ground until you have received the reinforcements we made for you.

Best regards,
Andreas Gietz

1ricardo 06-09-2012 08:35 PM

Hi Phil,

Yes I got the email from Andreas, thanks...
Now I am waiting for this reinforcement kit arrive, lets see
As far as concern the fuel tanks my rep sold me a tank that they use for the Hawk / Tutor and with the tank came the hopper tank
here is
http://www.carf-models.com/public_ca...tallation.html
Well lets keep in touch and try to put this puzzle, i mean, this airplane togheter

Thanks

Ricardo

Peter A 06-10-2012 05:42 AM

<font size="-1"><font face="Verdana">
Thanks for sharing pfact.
I did not receive any email correspondence from CARF I am surprised that some people did and some did not.
Not much info from the reps either. I am stopping my build now until the proper manual is available and a proper fix is provided for the wing.
</font></font><font size="-1"><font face="Verdana">
It is a shame since I waited 8 months to get the kit, and now have to wait a few more months to get a wing fix and a manual. I wanted to get it done to fly it this summer.

Thanks</font></font>

pfact 06-10-2012 06:50 AM

Peter

I am going to push ahead as I don't expect there will be a manual

Skygate provided a CD with photos of their prototype but not a manual so I don't expect CARF to provide one either. I have been able to get ahold of an original Skygate CD but it is not much help. What is particularly unusual is that CARF didn't include their usual warranty/liability disclaimer - I am pleased that they are accepting responsibility for anything that happens with the jet if it is the result of a build problem.

I have been able to figure out what some of the parts are - the router cut plywood parts are for the fuel tank and the 2 plywood pieces are for the cockpit seats. I figured this out from some recently posted photos on the CARF website which also give some indication of what some of the other plywood pieces are for. I still haven't figured out what the Airex foam is for, or where the carbon ply pieces go, or exactly where the carbon rings go but I am sure I will figure it out as the build progresses.

I am going to use aluminum servo mounts for the aileron servos, if they don't fit I'll glue mounting blocks to the cover plate as is done in other CARF planes.

I am trying to decide if I should install the inner doors for the mains like the Skymaster Viper. The oversized cover plate provided with the kit will permit this.

Phil

1ricardo 06-10-2012 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear sirs

Also on the email from Mr. Andreas was this picture of the wing attached

1ricardo 06-10-2012 07:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As far as concern the parts we all have no ideia where it goes, I was looking over the flash manual and saw the hopper tank base, and on the viper we have the same but in carbon / ply sandwich

1ricardo 06-10-2012 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And for the main tank, I think the tank is attached in the front with a L shape alluminum screwed on the bulkhead and on the back with the milled ply that have a semi circle and the reinforcement for the hole that goes glued on the wing spar sleeve

pfact 06-10-2012 07:28 AM

Hey guys,

I you are interested Noll Modellbau in Germany makes instrument panels for the Skygate Viper: www.noll-modelltechnik.de/cockpits_jets.htm

Phil

pfact 06-10-2012 02:42 PM

Ricardo or Peter,

Did your kits include plywood rings to keep the thrust tube from sitting on the fuse? The CARF website hardware photos show 3 rings which I am guessing are intended to keep the tube off the fuse - these didn't come with my kit.

and, my thrust tube ends 2.5inches inside the tail cone - that fiberglass is going to get really hot!

Phil

1ricardo 06-10-2012 04:04 PM

No, my kit did not came with those rings too, also I´m wondering how the tube will be supported? May be the tube is screwd on the carbon bypass and just sit on the last bulkhead? What do you guys think?

pfact 06-10-2012 04:13 PM

I think the pipe should be held firmly in place by a plywood or carbon former.

Does your pipe reach the end of the tail cone?

Phil

1ricardo 06-10-2012 04:22 PM

I did not mesure it yet

Peter A 06-10-2012 04:49 PM

Ricardo or Peter,
Did your kits include plywood rings to keep the thrust tube from sitting on the fuse? The CARF website hardware photos show 3 rings which I am guessing are intended to keep the tube off the fuse - these didn't come with my kit.
and, my thrust tube ends 2.5inches inside the tail cone - that fiberglass is going to get really hot!
Phil

Nope they were not included BUT, they are not needed, the bypass holds the front,and the rear former holds the end of the tail pipe.

pfact 06-10-2012 04:54 PM

The bellmouth is not needed - the aft end of the carbon bypass slides into the pipe.

Phil

Peter A 06-10-2012 05:02 PM

The bellmouth is not needed - the aft end of the carbon bypass slides into the pipe.
Phil
Yes this is correct, and this will make the length difference.
Also, no need for3 formers anymore anyway, the bypass holds the front,and the rear former holds the end of the tail pipe.

Makes sense.

pfact 06-10-2012 05:17 PM

What rear formers?

My pipe lays on the fiberglass at the end of the fuse. The formers forward of the tail are oblong and can not circumferentially hold the pipe, even if they could they don't touch the pipe.

The original Skygate Viper had circular formers that look just like the ones shown on the CARF web site. Check out the 2 attached photos, they are of the original Skygate Viper - you can see a plywood former just inside the tail with 12 teeth that circumferentially support the pipe. I'm not sure why we would need 3 of them unless the intention is to laminate them together into 1 very thick mount.

Phil