RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Kudos to Jet Central (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10832878-kudos-jet-central.html)

jclittle 11-28-2011 10:15 AM

Kudos to Jet Central

1 Attachment(s)
Although I’m a long time user of Jet Central turbines I generally stay away from the threads arguing over which one is the best, who has the best service and which ones are better served to be flame throwers. It’s just way too political and besides many of us in the hobby are brand loyalists that will never change.

But something happened recently that is just too good not to share with everyone. At SJS in late September my 5 year old Rhino, serial number 60 with over 46 hours of flawless use and no service history flamed out on the takeoff roll. It had never been in for service frankly because it was produced before the lifetime warranty and I felt why mess with it at 25 hours if it was running fine. Well I decided it was time to let Eric take it back and let the factory rebuild it. To my total surprise what I received back was basically a brand new zero time turbine complete with kero-start and a new battery for a price that was very reasonable. Great job Jet Central and Eric!

rcguy59 11-28-2011 08:30 PM

RE: Kudos to Jet Central

The only folks who will be surprised by this are the ones who DON'T own JetCentral turbines :)

Desertlakesflying 11-28-2011 08:39 PM

Just too bad the fact there are so many "brand loyalists that will never change.", will never allow for ALL RC turbine manufacturers to be that quality.

It's also sad at the same time it keeps turbine models in the mortgage your home price range for most folks.

I hope one day it is hobby loyalty instead of brand loyalty especially with the inflation that is coming down the pipe.

Brand loyalty is going to push a lot of people out of the hobby all together in the long run, because basic economics is not a well understood concept in the RC world.

rcguy59 11-28-2011 09:33 PM

While there is merit in what you're saying, I think you are missing a key point. Though I welcome competition, I can't afford to purchase one of every new brand that comes out just to subsidize it.
Speaking only for myself, I am "brand loyal" because I have sense enough to stick with what works for me. Should I get adventurous enough to spring for brand X and it doesn't work out, I'm screwed. I can't afford to keep buying turbines until I find a good one. Buy a turbine, run it once and see how much you can sell it for. A hell of a lot less than you paid for it.
Picking the wrong turbine is expensive in other ways too, even if it runs OK. I've heard way too many stories of turbines that were running fine being sent in for their 25 hr. service, only to incur $800.00+ bills. I'm not wealthy and I fly too much to open myself up to that kind of nonsense. Lifetime warranty, service agreement, whatever you want to call it, makes this hobby as affordable and predictable as it's ever going to get. That having been stated, the main reason I welcome competition is that it keeps Eric and the guys at the factory on their toes and ensures that my next turbine from them will be that much better. Brand loyalty will NOT kill this hobby. There will always be multiple brands, each with it's own loyal following.
These brands will continue to raise the standards by which turbines are judged. Any newcomer brand had better be damned good or very inexpensive to last any amount of time in the marketplace. As far as the "very inexpensive" angle is concerned, I suggest reading the JetJoe thread elsewhere.
I've recently been helping a fellow flyer get ready for his waiver test. His turbine is a Kingtech. It is bulky, heavy and not as user-friendly out of the box. It runs fine, however, and is priced lower than the competition. Five years from now, Kingtech just might be a major player in the RC turbine market. Meanwhile, I'll stick with what works for me.

causeitflies 11-29-2011 12:57 PM

There is a reason for brand loyalty.
By coincidence, just as I was reading this thread, my phone rang and it was Eric. At first I thought he may have dialed the wrong number. He was just calling to see if I had any problems or needed anything and to wish me happy holidays. Customer follow up goes a long way in gaining loyal customers.

Vincent 11-29-2011 02:03 PM

Why is this "story" so exciting?? i get that kind of service from my "brand" all the time.[:-]
Vin...

sailing1 11-29-2011 02:16 PM

I agree with Vincent.

This story is really the norm, at least as far as my experience with Jet Central and several other vendors. It is what I expect and why I use them and stay with them. But I still think it is a good thing for the public to know about things related to our hobby, good and/or bad. And I think it is good that our vendors see we are watching and by extension passing on our expectations of them.

Vincent 11-29-2011 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: sailing1

I agree with Vincent.

This story is really the norm, at least as far as my experience with Jet Central and several other vendors. It is what I expect and why I use them and stay with them. But I still think it is a good thing for the public to know about things related to our hobby, good and/or bad. And I think it is good that our vendors see we are watching and by extension passing on our expectations of them.
Too many times we only jump on the bad service, its always good to give someone a pat on the back for a good job too.
Vin...

jclittle 11-29-2011 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Why is this ''story'' so exciting?? i get that kind of service from my ''brand'' all the time.[:-]
Vin...
Vincent, what was exciting to me was that I had a used turbine with 46 hours never having any issues, sent it in for a rebuild and it was returned looking absolutely no different than if I had ordered a brand new one. Seriously everything was new; the battery, tubing, solenoids, extensions, Festos, everything that comes with a new turbine for less than 1/5 the price of a new Rhino. I really have no idea what Jet Cat or anyone else charges but I'd guess its much higher. I owned 3 Jet Cat's in the past and know that service work was fairly expensive. Not sure if that is still the case or not. The Jet Cats were fine BTW...just praising the good work of one of the turbine mfg's.

Jack28 11-29-2011 06:49 PM

Yes, that is Jet Central service. Eric and Jet Central have always delivered exceptional service from day one. See my story titled "wow Jet Central does it again'' on this forum. Glad to hear your great service story!

Desertlakesflying 11-29-2011 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

While there is merit in what you're saying, I think you are missing a key point. Though I welcome competition, I can't afford to purchase one of every new brand that comes out just to subsidize it.
Speaking only for myself, I am ''brand loyal'' because I have sense enough to stick with what works for me. Should I get adventurous enough to spring for brand X and it doesn't work out, I'm screwed. I can't afford to keep buying turbines until I find a good one. Buy a turbine, run it once and see how much you can sell it for. A hell of a lot less than you paid for it.
Picking the wrong turbine is expensive in other ways too, even if it runs OK. I've heard way too many stories of turbines that were running fine being sent in for their 25 hr. service, only to incur $800.00+ bills. I'm not wealthy and I fly too much to open myself up to that kind of nonsense. Lifetime warranty, service agreement, whatever you want to call it, makes this hobby as affordable and predictable as it's ever going to get. That having been stated, the main reason I welcome competition is that it keeps Eric and the guys at the factory on their toes and ensures that my next turbine from them will be that much better. Brand loyalty will NOT kill this hobby. There will always be multiple brands, each with it's own loyal following.
These brands will continue to raise the standards by which turbines are judged. Any newcomer brand had better be damned good or very inexpensive to last any amount of time in the marketplace. As far as the ''very inexpensive'' angle is concerned, I suggest reading the JetJoe thread elsewhere.
I've recently been helping a fellow flyer get ready for his waiver test. His turbine is a Kingtech. It is bulky, heavy and not as user-friendly out of the box. It runs fine, however, and is priced lower than the competition. Five years from now, Kingtech just might be a major player in the RC turbine market. Meanwhile, I'll stick with what works for me.
There are many people in RC that buy things of all brands. When one isn't as good as another's "favorite" there isn't anything positive put forward to try to help improve brand X....There is only..."That's just junk anyway", "My brand isn't like that" etc.....

I just hope those in RC that have children aren't rearing their children the way they post on RCU. And, we wonder why kids are so screwed up now days.

ddlstang 11-29-2011 08:16 PM

I really don't think this hobby is any different than any other item. Be it Ford/Chevy, Sony/RCA, I-phone/Droid whatever the product segment may be people are brand loyal. That is really a good thing, mostly because there was some reason they decided upon that brand of product. What it does do is lower prices and make competition in the service end of it. Take Japanese cars, in the 60's - 70's they were total crap, but served a market as people could get them a lot cheaper, their products improved along with service and today they are more expensive than American made, and there are more of them made in the USA than "American Made" cars.

Take for instance the Taiwanese turbines today, they are cheaper rt now, but when they get established and if the service is on par with or better than the others you will see their prices come up.

Their is nothing wrong with brand loyalty with the exception of the blind faith I do see in some. Such as someone having an issue with something and the "loyalists" come out in droves, kind of funny actually.

rbean2 12-02-2011 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: jclittle

Although I’m a long time user of Jet Central turbines I generally stay away from the threads arguing over which one is the best, who has the best service and which ones are better served to be flame throwers. It’s just way too political and besides many of us in the hobby are brand loyalists that will never change.

But something happened recently that is just too good not to share with everyone. At SJS in late September my 5 year old Rhino, serial number 60 with over 46 hours of flawless use and no service history flamed out on the takeoff roll. It had never been in for service frankly because it was produced before the lifetime warranty and I felt why mess with it at 25 hours if it was running fine. Well I decided it was time to let Eric take it back and let the factory rebuild it. To my total surprise what I received back was basically a brand new zero time turbine complete with kero-start and a new battery for a price that was very reasonable. Great job Jet Central and Eric!

Always great service, just sent my Mammoth to get changed to kero start. When they sent it back, the can was 90' out (I had 'Mammoth' engraved they other way). Eric jumped on it, I sent it in and had it back in three working days. Great service!

Richard