RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   When's the 12X replacement coming? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10839148-whens-12x-replacement-coming.html)

dubd 12-01-2011 08:56 PM

When's the 12X replacement coming?

It's been years since the 12X has come out and soon the Futaba 18MZ is will be out. What is JR's response? As much as I've like my 12X, it was outdated when it came out. It was basically a 10X with a 9303 UI. Anyone hear about it's replacement??? Years ago we heard about the 16X, but now, nothing... Is it too much to ask for upgradable firmware, lithion-ion batteries, touch screen, sd card, telemetry and a modern UI??

Anyone know if JR is working on anything new??? Seems like Futaba is innovating and JR is... well stagnate.

ira d 12-01-2011 11:14 PM

RE: When's the 12X replacement coming?

I dont have any news on the 12X but JR has been working some new stuff such as the XG 6 8 and 11 qustion is when will we see the entire
pureJR product line again in the USA?

dubd 12-02-2011 12:19 AM

Ira, seems like JR isn't focusing on the high end, which makes sense given the popularity of Futaba in the low to mid-range market.

Anyone else feel their 12X is getting getting long in the tooth?

rcguy! 12-02-2011 12:31 AM

ORIGINAL: dubd

Ira, seems like JR isn't focusing on the high end, which makes sense given the popularity of Futaba in the low to mid-range market.

Anyone else feel their 12X is getting getting long in the tooth?
Not me! A GREAT radio. Never a glitch or worry. 99.9% of us wouldn't need more than 12 channels anyway.

Dave

dubd 12-02-2011 12:35 AM

I do have a 12x and I'm ready for an upgrade. It's a great radio for < $700, not $1200. The Spektrum DX-8 has a better UI and more technology for a lot less money. Regarding selling my 12X... I am going to consider it if JR doesn't come out with a successor soon. The 18MZ is looking very appealing right now.

Craig B. 12-02-2011 12:51 AM

Yes, me too! I have always used JR and I agree wholeheartedly with your comments on the 12X. Whilst I like it, it is outdated, and I can't help but think Futaba is leaving JR for dead at the moment. I have a 14mz in my GJC hawk and it will soon go in another jet. Look like an 18MZ might be coming my way....I need the extra channels and I am tired of waiting for JR to be a market leader once again.....they are losing a loyal customer in me and I suspect I am not the only one.....

It gets a bit ridiculous when you have to pay $340 for an outdated 12 channel receiver when a 16ch sbus receiver with its better transmission protocol costs $85. That stopped me spending on JR gear and I am now looking at changing to Futaba.

dubd 12-02-2011 01:08 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I switched to the 12X from a 14MZ (72Mhz) and it felt like a step backwards technology-wise. My expectation was that JR, would have a radio that would best the 14MZ by now. Ironically it's Futaba that has outdone the 14MZ.

rolsen12 12-02-2011 03:16 AM

The 12X has one feature that I like over the 14MX, it stays on during the flight. my 14 woud turn off at various time during the flight. Not a very good thing.

Dr Honda 12-02-2011 04:06 AM

IDK.....

I think the 12x and even the 9503 is fine. I don't look at the radio while I'm flying... and the less expensive radio's work just as good as the expensive one's. To me... all I need is enough channels to make the model work. Why do we always need upgrades? Don't get me wrong... I'm a tech junky... but for a model radio... I don't see the need for it to be $3,000 because the model will fly the same as if it had a $500 radio.

Xairflyer 12-02-2011 04:14 AM

12x users what is the radio missing you feel you need, apart from telemetry

KC36330 12-02-2011 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

i don't see my 12x as being outdated or lacking in the UI. it's cut and dry simple programming that JR is well known for, why change that to some hard to understand interface like Futaba uses? that would be counter productive IMO.

as for telemetry, why would i take my eye off my jet to look at the TX to see anything? i much prefer the iPhone interface the Spektrum has for their setup (your spotter holds the iPhone or you can set an alarm so you don't break eye contact), on screen may be good for surface use but in the air it isn't a well thought out system requiring you to look away from your plane to see the screen, it reminds me of the folks who can't find their switches and have to look down to find them..........

Dr Honda 12-02-2011 05:32 AM

Exactly. AND... even telemetry is questionable. Are you looking down at the screen, at your battery voltage while flying??? I was going to buy the DX8 when it first came out... but after I thought about it... I canceled my order.

I agree that a color screen is nice... but is it needed?

RCJetBazz 12-02-2011 05:46 AM

It's been years since the 12X has come out and soon the Futaba 18MZ is will be out. What is JR's response? As much as I've like my 12X, it was outdated when it came out. It was basically a 10X with a 9303 UI. Anyone hear about it's replacement??? Years ago we heard about the 16X, but now, nothing... Is it too much to ask for upgradable firmware, lithion-ion batteries, touch screen, sd card, telemetry and a modern UI??

Anyone know if JR is working on anything new??? Seems like Futaba is innovating and JR is... well stagnate.
Agreed 100%, also the fact it lacks ball bearings, my left gimble on throttle has this intermittent coarse grainy feel for the 3rd year now.

dubd 12-02-2011 06:06 AM

SD Card, user upgradable firmware, lith-ion or lipo battery, for starters.

Tony, the need vs want debate is an interesting one when talking about a "hobby". I for one question the $1200 asking price for a radio that is literally based on the 10x, which is 10 years old! :)

You stated you cancelled your DX-8 order, but that radio is 40% the cost with more tech (channels aside). Futabas Super 8 does 14 channels and can be had for under $400. Dollars and sense doesn't add up with the 12X IMO.

I also have a DX-8 and in makes the 12X feel dated. Even the UI is better for programming.

marc s 12-02-2011 06:16 AM

your spotter holds the iPhone
Good luck to any spotter trying to see the iPhone screen in bright daylight...............

marcs

tucson 12-02-2011 06:23 AM

Hi Dubd,

If it ain't broke don't fix it. My 12X and 9503 have been flawless.

One of our club members just lost two very expensive airplanes on a 14Z. Turned out to be a faulty board in the transmitter. If you have equiptment that you have confidence in why change and look for problems.

Of all the points that have been mentioned so far the only one that makes any sense to me about my 12x would be a few more channels, other then that leave well enough alone!

As far as battery power I went to eneloops (sp). That about doubled my usable transmitter time.

Regards,

Stan

dubd 12-02-2011 06:45 AM

Stan, my 12X is almost 4 years old and battle tested. I am coming up on the need for a new radio and would rather not buy the same tech as I did 4 years ago for the same amount of money.

Craig B. 12-02-2011 07:05 AM

quote:

+1.

I do prefer the simplicity of the JR programming, but the lack of flexibility in switch assignments in my view is unforgivable. Crappy screen too. Surely it would not have taken much more for them to get those things right? Having said that my 12X has been a totally reliable radio, but not so with my DSX9. JR replaced it through our Australian distributor, who is renown for their excellent customer back up in my neck of the woods. I appreciated them backing up their product. Telemetry would be great if used with audible alarms....no need to look down then. That's the way it is headed anyway. Weatronic have a great product for sure, so I have been tempted to go that way but from what I have read their customer service is non-existent so that is just a no-go for me.

Futaba is ahead by a lot more than a nose, but there is no point in flaming me guys because at this stage I am predominantly a JR user (10 out of 11 jets). Just stating it as I see it. If JR had the same capability I would not consider changing.

seflyer 12-02-2011 07:29 AM

I would like to see a 16+ channel radio fairly soon from JR, my F-86 uses all 12 channels and still does not have a lighting system or operating canopy. a few of the channels could be freed up with matchboxes but then you lose the ability to trim from the radio. I would like to see Jr step up pretty soon. I like the 12x but as Dubd states it was old tech when new..

Kevin

gonzalom 12-02-2011 08:38 AM

I been a JR user for a long time and I am in the technology sector..... lately Futaba is catching my eyes quite a lot! I like very much what is coming on the 18MZ.....very cool features but the best in my humble opinion is the capability of the S-Bus..... To be able to plug a gyro and to tell the system in what surfaces is going to be used is quite cool. JR has been 100% reliable for me and I do love the feel of my 12X transmiter. I do have a DX8 with the new telemetry stuff and I love it too. If JR can release a new 12X with with telemetry + a few more channels + a better quality UI and color screen and some other compettetive advantages compared with the new Futabas that would be awesome. I know that they are working on a 17 channel system with telemetry but please don't ask because I can't tell you more....... I hope they are smart for starting to let some prototypes of the new systems to surface the market so we JR loyal customers might reconsider the jump to Futaba.

Gonzalo

LGM Graphix 12-02-2011 09:01 AM

Well to start with it's missing.......... um......... hmmmmmmmm,

Let's see, it has, good balance, all the channels I need, easy programming, always been reliable for me, has all the mixing and features I need and more, there's gotta be something missing.........

hmmmm...........

oh yeah, a really hot supermodel to turn me o...... I mean it on each time I use it!

RCFlyerDan 12-02-2011 09:15 AM

I have had mine for a couple years, and still very happy with it. Right now, in my budget, I am trying to get another turbine first, before another radio.

KC36330 12-02-2011 09:33 AM

........ my 12X is almost 4 years old and battle tested.
mine is just over 3 yrs old, well used but in mint condition, the only time it's out of the case is during use, maybe you should look into taking better care of your TX then you wouldn't be buying a new one every few years. my 10x was over 15 yrs old when i got the 12x and it was also in mint condition. i've seen many top of the line transmitters at events just tossed on the ground, makes me cringe when i see it.

Xairflyer 12-02-2011 11:41 AM

Not difficult to change the battery, SD card for what? to upgrade the firmware to what? what has the 12x not got that you need to download new firmware, 50 model memory's so I doubt SD card is needed for that.

luv2flyrc 12-02-2011 12:06 PM

Not difficult to change the battery, SD card for what? to upgrade the firmware to what? what has the 12x not got that you need to download new firmware, 50 model memory's so I doubt SD card is needed for that.
For what? How bout to fix the firmware that's in there? I have two of the originals with the mislabeling of servo's in the balance function and haven't wanted to send it back in for the fix. OR how 'bout the DMX uprgrade? again, another send it in to horizon deal. If it accepted a flash card you could do it online.

Totally agree with Dubd, although, I have two of them, the 12x was dated when it was released. I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon as I've got too much invested in them and they work fine, just don't compare to the new Futaba stuff. One of them is the MV version and I have recently installed Weatronic module in it. That has opened up a whole new world of possibilities that I'm having fun with.

Mike