RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Maj. Woody's E-Flight F-4 Phantom (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11058033-maj-woodys-e-flight-f-4-phantom.html)

MaJ. Woody 04-26-2012 01:39 PM

Maj. Woody's E-Flight F-4 Phantom

1 Attachment(s)
Well I went to the local Hobby Shop for a bottle of CA and a Cut Off Wheel and less than an hour before I arrived they just put out the new F-4. Of course I left with it:D

The pictures do not do this model justice. After unpacking it (at the hobby shop) and seeing that detailed fuse and immaculate flying surface construction I could not resist. I quickly put the box in a corner of the basement before my wife got home. It has been there the whole time but she must not have seen it with all the construction going on with my Hawk;)

I will unpack it and get some photos of it soon. Now to decide how to power this thing. EDF or turbine???

fireblade5437 04-26-2012 01:47 PM

RE: Maj. Woody's E-Flight F-4 Phantom

You have no will power! :D

Your lucky your box made undercover! My wife caught me dragging my CARF Hawk (big box) into the garage, another 5min and she would have left the house! Delivery driver joked I should buy smaller boxes!

Alan

MaJ. Woody 04-26-2012 01:51 PM

HA. Too funny!!

readyturn 04-26-2012 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MaJ. Woody

I quickly put the box in a corner of the basement before my wife got home. It has been there the whole time but she must not have seen it with all the construction going on with my Hawk;)

I thought that I was the only one that attempted to get things in the house that way..... :D

Rick

rhklenke 04-26-2012 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: readyturn

ORIGINAL: MaJ. Woody

I quickly put the box in a corner of the basement before my wife got home. It has been there the whole time but she must not have seen it with all the construction going on with my Hawk;)

I thought that I was the only one that attempted to get things in the house that way..... :D

Rick

I don't have to because my workshop is on the second floor of the detached garage! :) [8D] Now if I only had some money to buy new toys... [&o]

Bob

madmodelman 04-26-2012 03:35 PM

I usually leave the big box in the car and bring in the bits one at a time to assemble replacing each finished component back in the box :D
By the time the whole thing is assembled I've drummed up the nerve to face the music.

MaJ. Woody 04-27-2012 02:13 AM

Anyone making a conversion kit for this? Is it feasible to put a P-20 in here? I know Dave was working on converting his, but it was not finished as far as I know. I wonder about How that will effect the C.G. and how long the flight times would be. I want to order the rest of the equipment in the next day or so and need to decide EDF or Turbine.

MaJ. Woody 04-27-2012 02:35 AM

I decided EDF and just ordered the rest of the stuff. I guess I'd rather have a full size jet if I am going to spend that much money on a turbine.

Bob_B 04-27-2012 02:56 AM

Dom order the Stumx 80mm it's awesome!

Ali 04-27-2012 03:04 AM

Good call! I have had a fair amount of flying on mine now and am glad I went the stock edf route. Fit a decent servo on the all flying stab. My first servo was just not up to the job and it made for some interesting moments ( Especially at the bottom of a loop, or reversal [X(] ) It can still feel a little numb on the stab at times, but you get used to that. My big Skymaster F-4 was just the same.
The best thing I have done to mine was fit a JR G370 A on the ailerons. Any tendency to wing wobble has now disappeared.. even in a cross wind!
Regards Al
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/IMG_8522.jpg
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/IMG_8625.jpg

smchale 04-27-2012 04:16 AM

Saw these fly last september and was pretty impressed. I agree with Bob, if you're ordering a fan go with the stumax 80mm fan.
Anyone try it off grass yet?

MaJ. Woody 04-27-2012 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the input guys!
Dom

Dave Wilshere 04-27-2012 01:16 PM

I've been captain slow on the turbine conversion, I wish I had stuck with having a mini bi-fo tail pipe made, as the single conversion means lots of rear fuselage cut away.
In the mean time I "borrowed" a second F-4 and have been flying that from our grass 270' site. The F-4 really surprised me. The grass was not that short and it still took off in less than 150' initial acceleration is slow, takes about half a circuit to fully un-stall the fan. You can hear it unload.
Performance was really good, i didn't expect it to fly so well, I went with lots of elevator movement as I didn't have the manual, and it feels about right. Roll rate is OK, flaps work fine and I can land it using only 100' of grass even in 6-7 mph winds. It lands high alpha, which looks good!
Using 30C 5000 packs, I flew 5 minutes mixed flying and used 4200mAh. It rolls on rudder as expected and does not have enough rudder to hold any length of knife-edge.
It does look good though just beating up the patch and doing Derry turns, I'll try and get some flying shots tomorrow, as none of my camera drivers have been around when I was flying it locally.

Dw

MaJ. Woody 04-27-2012 02:27 PM

Great Report Dave.
Thanks!
Dom

Dave Wilshere 04-28-2012 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dom

Grey wet day, but another couple of flights...rocket ship down wind today!
You can see how much up I have in the take off and then touch down shot. Inverted it needs a good push.

Dave

Spektrum 5010 servo on this ones elevator....

MaJ. Woody 04-28-2012 04:11 PM

Looks great Dave!

megafly 04-28-2012 07:33 PM

Hey Maj, what about the big F-4 and the Hawk?
Did you fly them?

MaJ. Woody 04-29-2012 01:13 AM

The F-4 and Hawk are now complete! I am finishing up my trailer now and should have it done in a few days. I post the progress on my trailer thread. Once complete, I will have a way to get thos jets to the field. My plan is to fly the Hawk first. We are aiming for next weekend. After that gets all its shakedown flights, I will fly the F-4. On all the raing days in between, I will work on the little F-4. I ordered all the parts and should have them all by mid week.

megafly 04-29-2012 01:19 PM

Where is the trailer thread? Can't find it...

Thanks!

smchale 04-29-2012 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: megafly

Where is the trailer thread? Can't find it...

Thanks!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

megafly 04-29-2012 02:07 PM

Thanks smchale !

MaJ. Woody 04-29-2012 04:28 PM

I guess I'll do a complete build thread on this little F-4. It hardly needs it since the instructions are so complete. Nothing like building a full size turbine model. It will be fun...and relaxing in comparison.

dubd 04-29-2012 11:29 PM

I hope to have my Eflite F-4 soon. I have the same scheme on my Skymaster F-4, so it'll make for some fun photos.

Shaun Evans 05-05-2012 09:28 PM

Hi,

Ran into a little problem and was wondering if anyone else has had this: The wire yoke that joins the two stabs has all of the hardware pre-attached. The problem is that the wire isn't bent straight, so when you tighten the brackets down to the tail plate, everything binds up pretty stiff. Even a really nice digital servo isn't going to be able to work this stab without it having a huge double-neutral. I'd just bend the wire a little, but because the hardware is already on there, there's not really any place to grab the wire firmly.

Otherwise, the fit of these components is crazy good.

MaJ. Woody 05-06-2012 02:56 AM

Hi Shaun.
I have not started mine yet...but may this week. I am on vacation and the weather looks like a mixed bag. Rainy windy days make good building days. Thanks for the heads up!
Dom