RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   XTREME F-4 BUILD/ BY MISTERMNKIM (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11104901-xtreme-f-4-build-mistermnkim.html)

mistermnkim 06-03-2012 11:47 AM

XTREME F-4 BUILD/ BY MISTERMNKIM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone!! Bought a Skymaster F-4 but turned out to be the first prototype of the XTREME JETS F-4. Mine is the 53 inch WS F-4, so far I have not done much just started Fitting the Gear. My wings did not come retract ready so I am fitting them like you would on any BUILD lol. I do have the pipe installed and just got my tanks in from JETTECH. I plan to change the paint scheme but still undecided as to what, about the only other thing I need is the cockpit kit and clear canopy. I will have to cut out the flaps, guess they didnt need them on the prototype!!

mistermnkim 06-03-2012 11:51 AM

RE: XTREME F-4 BUILD/ BY MISTERMNKIM

sorry guys, posted some wrong pics, a few are pics of my Yellow DF F4, also one is a pic of my XTREME F-4 with turbine in her from previous owner. If I can figure out how I will delete

mistermnkim 06-03-2012 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I ment to upload

joeflyer 06-06-2012 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Mark,

Hope you don't mind me posting in your thread. After a long wait my X-treme F-4 finally arrived last week. I was suprised to find that it is bigger than advertised. I have the long (E nose) version and it's 83" long and 55" ws. versus the advertised 79" long and 53" ws.

Joe

joeflyer 06-06-2012 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't like the idea of 5 airlines and 2 servo wires to each wing. That'll be a pain every time I assemble/disassemble it. The first thing I did was install a button valve in each wing to operate the inner gear door, thereby eliminating the need for two airlines.

I noticed that the retracts were pressed against the upper wing skin. I'm sure I'd be seeing cracks there after the first hard landing. I shimmed the retracts with 1/16" plywood to allow some clearance, then I had to tweek the door fit.

The way the gear door cylinders are installed there isn't much leverage holding the gear door shut. I added a small magnet to the doors to keep them from blowing open in flight. After checking the function everthing works fine.

Now I'll have to figure out how I'm going to operate the nose doors. With the E nose the two doors need to be sequenced with the gear. If I can locate them properly I can do it with two more button valves, or maybe I'll buy a sequencer.

More later,
Joe

mistermnkim 06-06-2012 06:11 PM

Yes Joe post away!! Yours is looking great and I need all the reference pics I can get, as you can see my F-4 is in a very raw form compaired to the production ARF.

joeflyer 06-21-2012 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've made a little progress on the F-4. Got the nose gear/doors sorted out. I added a button valve to control the large door. The front door is just teed to the retract to work with the gear using a restrictor for a slight delay. After a n umber of tests it works fine. They are in sync and I haven't been able to get them to hang up. I hope that doesn't change when everything is finally installed.

This really cleans up the plumbing. I now have only 3 airlines to each wing instead of 5, and only 2 airlines running to the nose instead of 6.

joeflyer 06-21-2012 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't think that the plywood tabs for the aileron and flap servos would be strong enough. I carved some plywood blocks to fit under them and tie into the wing spars and upper skin.

joeflyer 06-21-2012 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As I was figuring out how to run the servo wires I realized where they would come out. The opening in the wing root for the airlines and servo wires comes out just ahead of the rear wing spar. They then enter the fuse right near the turbine tail cone. Not only is that the hottest part of the plane it's just behind a former at the rear of the main hatch, which makes it very inaccessible. Furthermore any loose wires or airlines end up in the wheelwell and could interfer with retract operation.

At that point I checked Maj. Woody's build thread to see what he did. Following his lead I made another hole in the wing root about an inch behind the front wing spar and re-routed the airlines, and routed the servo wires there. In this location they will now enter the fuse near the front of the engine, where there's easy access. Additionally now everyting is routed away from the wheelwell. Check Maj. Woody's thread for more pictures and details. I have one wing changed over and one to go.

Next I'll install the aileror and flap linkage and control horns.

Joe

mistermnkim 06-24-2012 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks great Joe! I am still working with the main retracts. Its been a battle to get the toe right and have the gear settle deep enough in the wing so the gear doors will shut flush. But im getting there with a few unique fixes!!