RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Recurring Safety Brief (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11275437-recurring-safety-brief.html)

Chris Smith 10-25-2012 05:27 AM

Recurring Safety Brief

It's always a good idea to have periodic safety briefs and operations reviews.

Here's a very good one:
http://bvmjets.com/Pages/Safety/fun_or_fire.htm

Apologies in advance to BVM if I should have gotten permission to post this.

rhklenke 10-25-2012 06:22 AM

RE: Recurring Safety Brief

Good stuff.

I do see quite a few guys starting up without a fire extinguisher at the ready. Ever since Rich Miller saved our (now >8 years old) Eursport from a propane fire at Ky Jets, we NEVER startup without that extinguisher at the ready right next to the turbine intakes - and hatches OPEN...

Bob

Dr Honda 10-25-2012 06:46 AM

It's good info... and I'm sure BVM won't mind the link to his site. (lol)

I'm new to the turbine world (2 seasons) ... so I'm not falling into this category yet. AND... one of my trusty engines is an old Air-start AMT. And... every time I start it up... people gather. I don't use the ASU and a scuba bottle. When I start it... I'm keeling down next to my jet, and put a "Glow Driver" on the plug... and start pushing air though the engine with a 12v blower. Most of the guys standing around when I start it probably have never played with anything other than a full auto start engine. But... once I get it up to speed... I look up... and everyone is giggling in disbelief of my starting procedure.

But the article is right... I've witnessed a bunch of full auto engines (either on-board propane, or kero start) and they are ramping up with all the hatches closed, and no monitoring of the "Start Up." I like to watch the HDT. I always watch temp, and fuel pump voltages. It's a good way of knowing if there is a problem coming up.

I should do a "How to" on starting an old engine. I don't think I've ever seen a vid like that... and I know I kind of had to figure it out on my own after I bought the engine.

Dieselman1220 10-25-2012 09:13 AM

Ahhh I do like the old AMTs so many little tricks to get them to start. That's one thing thats nice about air start any sign of a fire
And you've got 3000psi (if you use the scuba tank) that will turn the heck out out of the motor and keep any fire blowing out the pipe till you get an extinguisher. On my new kero start stuff motoring the little electric motor won't really do a whole lot, At least from what I have seen.

Chris Smith 10-25-2012 09:31 AM

I'm with you Bob.

David Jackson 10-25-2012 10:13 AM

Never leave home without it and ear plugs, and never start the engine without it being within reach. [8D]

Harley Condra 10-25-2012 12:23 PM

Bob Klenke mentioned having the extinguisher near the turbine intakes, but I feel like adding some words to reinforce a very good piece of advise:.....always discharge the extinguisher into the inlet tract....NEVER into the aft end of the tailpipe!
If the extinguisher agent is discharged into the tailpipe, it could blow the burning fuel into the airframe and possibly burn you, or someone else.

Don't worry about the extinguisher agent causing damage to the engine. CO2 or Halatron won't hurt the engine at all, and besides, that is the least of your worries.

BV won't mind reproducing this Safety Brief on this board. The more people that read it, the better off we are.

David Gladwin 10-25-2012 12:33 PM

All really good stuff from BVM to which I would add:

1. Treat ALL engine starts as critical.
2. Check tailpipes for any sign of raw fuel.
3. ASSUME the start WILL malfunction, in some form, until the engine is at a stable idle, don't let the engine surprise you ! So:
4. Keep finger on or very near the start switch (trim or Aux), ready to abort the start at the very first sign of any abnormality, until the above is achieved.

Regards,

David.

jlmaviation 10-25-2012 12:52 PM

Dr. Honda. Please email or post a picture of the 12v blower you are using. I have an air start also and maybe I would use that method would be less stuff to haul around.

ozief16 10-25-2012 01:21 PM

Dr Honda,

You just reminded me of Buck trying to instruct me on the ways of the AMT at Mississippi this year: "More Air!, no no, take it off, now glow, NO! MORE AIR!!!"

Bah haha ha

Dave

Dr Honda 10-26-2012 03:25 AM

OK... for giggles... I'll make a short video later today. And... I will get a close up pic of my blower. I post it separate, since I don't want to hijack this thread.

luv2flyrc 10-26-2012 07:05 AM

Careful with those fire extinguishers too, treat with respect.

Last summer, I witnessed a fellow go to use a CO2 extinguisher, one of the ones with a hose to a cone. For whatever reason the cone separated from the hose when he depressed the trigger and the hose snapped back under the pressure and caught him in the face.

Knocked him down, broke his face/ nose open but, could have been MUCH worse had it caught him in the eye.

Mine doesn't have a hose but, for those that do, be careful with it!

Mike