RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   80 inch turbine powered Batwing-new pix on build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11328481-80-inch-turbine-powered-batwing-new-pix-build.html)

rick hamel 12-11-2012 07:44 PM

80 inch turbine powered Batwing-new pix on build

1 Attachment(s)
Had some trouble with the pic download -the pix are high res shotshad to do 2 at a time-anyway-shots of canopy back plate to stiffen it up -keeping to the theme I cut the image of the bat in itbattery location in nose section-light in wingworking on casting green lens for itshould look cool with the Batwing in a matte black finish and some accent air brushing-conformal tanks-5 liter cap total-radio tray under canopy the original model had plates on each side of the canopy so I made working hatches out of themthey will provide access for charging and start up without removing canopy.speed brakes as on the plastic model are almost finished-so far so goodP-180 should fit wellworking towards Toledo2013.

causeitflies 12-11-2012 07:47 PM

RE: 80 inch turbine powered Batwing-new pix on build

Looks like another Toledo winner to me. ;)

rick hamel 12-11-2012 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know about that-the big guns always show up at Toledolots of nice stuff- but I'm pretty sure there will not be another wing therejust hoping I get it finishI don't think that will be a problemshould be ready to paint in January

Ram-bro 12-11-2012 08:08 PM

do you have a proof of concept model to see if it flies which I am sure it does and you have?:D

rick hamel 12-11-2012 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Herer is a pic of it in the air with the speed brakes deployed and one on the ground ,flew just fine

wojtek 12-11-2012 08:17 PM

Looking good!!

What gear are you using on yours ? I have the KingCat gear, but looks like i might need a longer nose strut ... im considering an air raised one so it would assist with rotation/take off. and plant nicely on landing. P180 sounds like a nice choice .. Im thinking of a 170 class motor .. I have like the JC Rhino , but i might give KingTech a try as I have seen good success with these also. Any shots of the pipe ? I will likely experiment with and modify a large f-15 pipe and run out the rear tubes to widen/flatten.

all the best !

~V~

rick hamel 12-11-2012 08:28 PM

Kingcat gearstill have to fab the exhaust I, at one time, built an exhaust to test on my AMT 400 took me 3 tries to make one that didn't blow apart at full power I have some new thoughts on construction trying to keep te weight down.

wojtek 12-11-2012 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
as for the gear, whats your nose leg from though ?

I played around with pipes as well. I know I will use a standard bifurcated unit up front, but its where it flattens and widens out, it wants to get sucked in when adding flattened extensions. I am going to brace it with supports from either the outside (using a high temp composite rigid outer rear section, or just run double vanes down the middle , and deal with the thrust loss ( which should not be a big issue, as this is not going for speed here .. ) I know its not a "thrust " pipe as its coming off of a heli drive, but the pipe on my big bell 412 is flat out back and braced internally .. I think the bracing may also add to the sound ..

~V~

rick hamel 12-11-2012 08:44 PM

Nose strut from altcare

KFX450 12-12-2012 07:35 PM

Yay!!!..Subscribed..Im a Batman fan..Love this Jet..Cant wait to see it done..:D..

NickC5FE 12-13-2012 09:29 AM

That is TOO COOL!

rick hamel 12-13-2012 07:10 PM

What's really remarkable is that I didn't have to change the original shape or scale of the wings or verticlesonly had to figure out a control systemit flys using a reflex system for pitch stability