RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jets and cold weather condition (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11344489-jets-cold-weather-condition.html)

mario tavarez14 12-25-2012 10:00 PM

Jets and cold weather condition

I want an honest answer from the expert, low temperatures could affect my aircraft? if i leave my JET all winter in the SHED, the cold would will affect the entire electronic system? including the turbine ? the reason for my question is I have no more space in the house and would have to take two of my jet for the shed.

Chris Nicastro 12-25-2012 10:23 PM

RE: Jets and cold weather condition

Make sure the turbines have oil in them for storage. Use a syringe with fuel line and inject some turbine oil into the fuel line so the bearings have plenty of oil. Cover the engines so dust will not collect inside.
Remove your batteries and keep them in the house above 50F.

Should be fine I live in north Idaho where we have long winters and this is how I store my planes in the garage.

dubd 12-25-2012 10:29 PM

Not all sheds are created equal. :) I don't see a problem as long as you shed is weather proof. I was looking into this a few years ago and was advised to stay away from metal sheds for storage because of potential condensation problems.

madmodelman 12-26-2012 02:45 AM

Mario, I leave a couple of mine in my wooden shed but I did insulate the inside with one inch polystyrene foam and they are always fine.

Nhalyn 12-26-2012 04:09 AM

Cold temperatures are not a problem for your electronic or turbine or structure of the plane, until this not to low. All my plane are on my cellar and actually it's 10°C or lower...

The problem is more the transition between "hot" temp and very low temp, that could cause structural problem because of qwick dilatation. Another problem is the water, as said by Dubd.

The only parts that need positive temperature are the batteries, so keep them in your house.

Dr Honda 12-26-2012 04:11 AM

The cold isn't the issue. It's the dampness, and possible mouse issues.

I had a bunch of older models out in the shed, and when I went to look for a few things in the summer... I found nests in some of them. (and soaked with mouse waste) The only good thing was that they were older wood models that were retired anyway. But... I basically had to strip out the good stuff, and burn the models.

Ad as above... moisture is going to be the death to turbine bearings.

aquaskiman 12-26-2012 05:47 AM

I keep all my jets in a bus, no heat, temps in winter get down to -20F and have never had any trouble. I do fly them through out the winter on nice days.

invertmast 12-26-2012 05:52 AM

I leave mine in an enclosed trailer. I dont even bother bringing the batteries inside (A123's)

wfield0455 12-26-2012 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I leave mine in an enclosed trailer. I dont even bother bringing the batteries inside (A123's)
Since it is smaller and I have room for it, my jet stays in the house. However, I've stored my giant scale aerobatics planes in the trailer (down to -20F) without any problems. I also leave the batteries (A123)
in the planes. Have been doing this for the past 4 years without the slightest hint of a problem. I simply put a storage charge on the batteries and by the time Spring rolls around they haven't discharged more than a couple of percent.