RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Help Identifying this Skymaster Hawk/T45 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11465865-help-identifying-skymaster-hawk-t45.html)

Dieselman1220 04-02-2013 09:21 AM

Help Identifying this Skymaster Hawk/T45

6 Attachment(s)
I acquired this Skymaster/Xtreme Jets Hawk and need help identifying what particular version it is. Its 83" long from the nose to the the trailing edge of the stabs, and approx 73" wing span to the trailing edge of the wing tips.
The laser etching in the trays says Skymaster however I though Xtreme made the smaller Jets? What can I look for to help identify what version it is? Or has skymaster/xtreme jets not updated the aircraft in recent years? (Im sure they have)
I have no idea how old it is Im positive at minimum 2 years though and quite possibly more.

As you can see this one has a clean wing. Ive heard you do not want to fly it without wing fences or vortex generators due to the nasty stall characteristics of this airframe. For the time being I plan to fly it with a K80, I know it will be a bit anemic
but Im thinking it should get the job done until I can get a 100 turbine in it. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
PS it does have the dual nose wheel tires like a T45 im sure its still a hawk though.
Attachment 2235658
Attachment 2235659
Attachment 2235660
Attachment 2235661
Attachment 2235662
Attachment 2235663

Dieselman1220 04-02-2013 09:25 AM

RE: Help Identifying this Skymaster Hawk/T45

http://www.skymasterjet.com/arfhawk.htm I found this manual It really looks like the one yet I dont see a date anywhere on the manual? [&:]

DraganRi 04-02-2013 09:48 AM

Joseph

I think it is  X - Treme Jets  Bae Hawk   ....................   http://www.skymasterjet.com/bh.htm  

Regards
Dragan<br type="_moz"/>

DraganRi 04-02-2013 09:52 AM

Ups 

Try this ............   http://www.skymasterjet.com/ 

Regards

Greg Wright 04-02-2013 12:15 PM

Joeseph,
My best advice for any questions about this plane would be to give Dustin Buescher a call at BVM Jets as they are the distributor for Skymaster/X-treme jets and maybe he can help you figure this out. If not i'm sure he can answer any questions on the flying characteristics of this plane.

jetnuno 04-02-2013 01:51 PM

Hi

Some years ago, SM did not have a multi brand policy and all planes were Skymaster. This plane is the same as the X-trem line of Skymaster, but don't know how old. Older models did not have gear in combos, so maybe this is not a SM gear. The newer version of the extreme does not have double wheel in the front

Can we know, why do you want to know?

Regards
´
Nuno

Don Perry 04-02-2013 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the small Hawk from skymaster.

I had one years ago and flew it with and with out the fences. I could not tell any difference in the stall's as I practiced them clean and dirty both with and without the wing fence.

I had good luck with mine and put many flights on it before I sold it. I know a lot of people lost them on the base to final turn by getting too slow as it will snap fairly abruptly.

Dieselman1220 04-02-2013 04:13 PM

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate the info I did speak with Dustin he was not very familiar with this particular airplane but he said should have any issues just go fly it and be careful when your low and slow.
Has anyone thought of dialing in just a bit of crow to help induce some wash out and thus help with the low speed stability?

Kenrico 04-02-2013 05:10 PM

If i were you i would definitely put a bigger Turbine in it. at-least 28 lbs of thrust. I dont think a k80 would get this moving unless you fly it off a real runway. Just my opinion.

Dieselman1220 04-02-2013 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

If i were you i would definitely put a bigger Turbine in it. at-least 28 lbs of thrust. I dont think a k80 would get this moving unless you fly it off a real runway. Just my opinion.
I do have a paved runway that I fly from...I know it won't be a speed demon or have tremendous vertical but I think the k80 will fly
It with sufficient authority... For now

In the Haze 04-02-2013 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine flew well with an AMT Mercury HP.9 kg of thrust. But we are at 5500ft asl.

Dieselman1220 04-03-2013 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: In the Haze

Mine flew well with an AMT Mercury HP.9 kg of thrust. But we are at 5500ft asl.
Wow good to know fortunately I'm at sea level

ECalderon 04-03-2013 11:13 AM

That looks like one of the early version small Hawk. I say this because the rudder has hinges, and the newer version have the gapless hinges on all surfaces. Also because it looks like the nose retract is Robart instead of of Airpower or Skymaster that the newer versions come with.

I have the Extemejets version that is the same size and it flys great, just be carefull when landing because if you slow it down to much it will bite you. Regarding flaps deflection, max flaps should not be greater that 45° or you will loose elevator authority. Also keep elevator travel moderate or at the top of loops or cuban eight if you pull it too much it may stall ( ask me how I know, luckily I had enough altitude to reciver).

I fly mine off a paved runway with a Jetcentral Eagle and its more than enough power. I´ve also seen one powered with a Jetcentral Rabbit and its also ok. A K80 will probably be fine if runway is paved, but keep it as light as posible and don´t expect great verticals.

Regards
Eduardo