RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Wren Turbo prop (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11476333-wren-turbo-prop.html)

Justflying1 04-13-2013 01:32 AM

Wren Turbo prop

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">Hello,</span><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">I have been looking at this engine for my Yak-54 conversion.</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">It&rsquo;s the MW44 Turboprop Complete with auto start.</font></div><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">Can someone give me some light about the turbo props.</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">I have heard lots of good things about theturbines but I have heard they where having problems with the turboprops.</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">Question is</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">1- Does the problem still exist?</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">2- What was the problem?</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">3- Have they got good customer service? By this I mean not just sales but AFTER SALES SERVICE.</font></div><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">If I did go with this turbine has anyone got any suggestions on Prop size and brand for a 100cc Extreme composite Yak-54.</font></div><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">Thank you</font></div><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">Ivan</font></div>

kev-o 04-13-2013 06:59 AM

RE: Wren Turbo prop

A buddy of mine has the 54 version there after sales service is great, and older issues seem to have been ironed out. I'm building a turbo raven for a customer nd we are going to start with I believe a 28/10 two blade and go from there and probably try some 3 blades as well. Granted this will have the jetcat unit in it , but power should be similar between the two. Beware of nosing it over that's a gauranteed trip back to wren for gearbox service. That is why many build trikes like he tucanno.

josecilurzo 04-13-2013 07:11 AM

WE HAVE AN WREN 54SS, AND, WHEN I NEEDED SERVICE AND SPARE PARTS, I CALL RON BALLARD ( USA ) AND, WREN UK, EVERY TIME THE GUYS HELP ME VERY FAST, BY MAIL AND PHONE.
WREN PRODUCTS ARE GREAT, DONT WORRY ABOUT SERVICE, PARTS AND PRODUCTS, WITH THESE GUYS YOU HAVE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOSE

Wayne22 04-13-2013 07:30 AM

Service is excellent - period!!

the 44 will be a bit small for a 100cc plane. I don't know know what the thrust rating on the 44TP is, but the larger MW54 turbo prop was good for about 65 lbs of thrust which was roughly the same as an 85cc gasser.

Propellor selection is critical. Too large a prop will load the turbine engine and increase the exhaust temperature very rapidly.....

They are interesting machines and a lot more efficient in producing power that the reaction turbines that most of us love...

Justflying1 04-13-2013 12:24 PM

Hello everyone,<div></div><div>Thank you for the information so far.</div><div>The Wren 54 turbo prop is no longer in production. This will rule it out.</div><div>I have however got some information from the Wren web site and manual.</div><div>I guess my main worry will be vertical performance.</div><div>Being an aerobatic plane this is very important to me and I do like my 3D flying, so being able to sit it on its tail is necessary.

<p style="padding: 10px; font-size: 11px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);"><span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Max Power Output</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">7.5HP / 5.6Kw @ 195,000 rpm</span>
<span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Weight</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">1750gms / 3Lbs 13oz</span>
<span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Overall size centre section</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">326mm x 86mm / 12.8" x 3.4"</span>
<span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Mounting</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">Hole dia 85mm / 3.4", 6 x M3 screws</span>
<span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Ancillaries weight (inc battery)</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">340g / 12oz</span>
<span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Propeller rpm range</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">1100 to 9000 rpm</span>
<span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Propeller size range</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">17 x 12 ~ 28 x 10 (2 or 3 blade)</span>
<span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Recommended Setup</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">6400 rpm on Metz 22x13 3-blade prop</span>
<span class="param" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Fuel Consumption @ max power</span><span class="separator" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center">:</span><span class="value" style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px">176ml per minute / 5.8oz per minute</span></p><div>The Wren 44 TurboProp is the worlds smallest commercial 2-shaft turbo-prop engine. It is
designed for use in miniature aircraft applications in place of an I/C engine. It is generally suited
to aircraft up to 25kg (55lb) in all up weight and will replace I/C engines of around 80cc (4.8cu</div><div></div></div>

Aussie Bart 04-13-2013 06:34 PM

Ivan

You may remember that I have the Jetcat SPT5 in my Tucano fitted with a 24 x 14 3 blade and it does a nice job of pulling it around. There is a guy ay=t the Bairnsdale club who put the 44 TP in his little Porter and it really did not show alot of power, it flew it ok but no authority. If you plan on the 100 size Yak or similar you will need the SPT5 or similar size to make it fly. I will talk to you at Wang about it if you want.

Justflying1 04-13-2013 09:24 PM

Thanks for the info Bart i will talk at Wang Jet meet.

PaulD 04-13-2013 10:11 PM

For the size of airframe u are looking at, suspect you will want more power. Also to consider is these engines do not 3D well. They don't have the throttle response you need to keep things balanced in the hover.

PaulD

ORIGINAL: Justflying1

Hello everyone,<div> </div><div>Thank you for the information so far.</div><div>The Wren 54 turbo prop is no longer in production. This will rule it out.</div><div>I have however got some information from the Wren web site and manual.</div><div>I guess my main worry will be vertical performance.</div><div>Being an aerobatic plane this is very important to me and I do like my 3D flying, so being able to sit it on its tail is necessary.

<p style=''padding: 10px; font-size: 11px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);''><span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Max Power Output</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>7.5HP / 5.6Kw @ 195,000 rpm</span>
<span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Weight</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>1750gms / 3Lbs 13oz</span>
<span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Overall size centre section</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>326mm x 86mm / 12.8'' x 3.4''</span>
<span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Mounting</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>Hole dia 85mm / 3.4'', 6 x M3 screws</span>
<span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Ancillaries weight (inc battery)</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>340g / 12oz</span>
<span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Propeller rpm range</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>1100 to 9000 rpm</span>
<span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Propeller size range</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>17 x 12 ~ 28 x 10 (2 or 3 blade)</span>
<span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Recommended Setup</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>6400 rpm on Metz 22x13 3-blade prop</span>
<span class=''param'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px; TEXT-ALIGN: right''>Fuel Consumption @ max power</span> <span class=''separator'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 24px; TEXT-ALIGN: center''> : </span> <span class=''value'' style=''VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle; WIDTH: 223px''>176ml per minute / 5.8oz per minute</span></p><div>The Wren 44 TurboProp is the worlds smallest commercial 2-shaft turbo-prop engine. It is
designed for use in miniature aircraft applications in place of an I/C engine. It is generally suited
to aircraft up to 25kg (55lb) in all up weight and will replace I/C engines of around 80cc (4.8cu</div><div> </div></div>

Justflying1 04-13-2013 10:33 PM

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">Thanks for the advise Paul.</span><div><font face="Arial" size="2">I obviously have to look at a more powerful turbine.</font></div><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">Turbines do hover well its just a different entry to what you usually do with your piston prop plane.</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">With a piston engine you can be more aggressive with the throttle and you will have power at an instant.</font></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">You can come in low pull hard on the rudder, pump the throttle and work it. The plane will sit there and hover.</font></div><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">With a turbine you will have to gradually put it in a Hover and find the sweat spot on the throttle. Everything has to done a little smoother and be very careful when close to the ground as the throttle response is not as quick.</font></div><div></div><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">Just as an example you cant expect a thrust vector Jet or turbo prop to take off and put it straight into a hover. This does not mean however that you cant hover it.</font></div><div></div><div><font face="Arial" size="2">Just my 2 cent worth.</font></div><div></div>