RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11520750-emergency-safety-alert-fej-big-f-18f-superhornet.html)

bevar 05-23-2013 04:49 PM

Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet

1 Attachment(s)
Today I was making the fifth flight since new of the big F-18F twin from Fly Eagle Jets (Honeycomb fuselage) that I am flying for a friend.

This jet had already experienced flutter on it's maiden (see Dantley's F-14 crash thread for details) so the rudder system was scrapped and 8711s mounted directly into each rudder with an external linkage and the "Direct Drive" Stabilator/elevon actuation system was also binned because it was grossly insufficient for the task at hand. FEJ supplied the owner/builder with two aluminum trays to install into the aft fuselage with two 8711 servos driving each stabilator half. The trays were reinforced with hardwood maple to insure it was as sturdy as it could possibly be and then installed. We were told by FEJ that this system was the way to go.

On the 2nd flight of the day today, about two minutes into the flight during a very tame right to left pass at about 1/2 throttle the jet experienced massive stabilator flutter of both the left and right flight controls. The right stab ended up almost completely tearing out of the fuselage, servo tray and all and jammed in a position of about 20 degrees nose down (leading edge up). The left stab also broke loose with large flapping movements tip up and down as well as fore and aft.

The aft empennage suffered catastrophic structural failure as well.

For all of you out there who own the big F-18...I strongly advise you not to fly it until this issue is resolved. It is all about safety and in it's current form this jet and the stabilator/elevon/elevator (call it what you wish) is nowhere near sufficient for flight. Massive redesigning and strengthening of the entire back half of the jet is needed in my and others opinion.

Never was the jet exposed to any high speed or high G maneuvers...just simple soft, mild racetrack patterns, a few gentle 1/2 Cuban 8 turn arounds and very very conservative throttle management. Basically, if you watch the flutter sequence in Dantley's F-14 thread...that is exactly what happened with the F-18.

Beave

sskianpour 05-23-2013 05:01 PM

RE: Emergency safety alert: FEJ big F-18F Superhornet

Bummer Boli. Total loss I imagine?

Shaz

sideshow 05-23-2013 05:09 PM

Sorry for the total loss Beave, hope no one was injured....

DiscoWings 05-23-2013 05:18 PM

Son of a [:@]

Hate to ask, but do you have crash pictures?

gunradd 05-23-2013 05:21 PM

Poor Luke :( Sorry for your loss.

I have said from the start their is no way they built this airframe up and flew it 20 or so times hard and worked out all the bugs before selling it.

Again we are the beta testers. They really need to just pick a few of their smaller airframes and make them right before going into these big birds.

dubd 05-23-2013 05:31 PM

Boli, very sorry to hear about this. It sounds very similar to what happened to my F-14. When is the next elevator failure going happen? When will someone get hurt or killed? When will we stop talking trash about those who feel FEJ needs some serious course correction and actually stand up and do something about this? It is now completely irresponsible to turn the other cheek and say, "s/// happens" or "there is no crying in model jets." The magnitude of this impacts us all! We should all be considerate to how the next crash can affect the safety of people on the ground!

marcpamjoce 05-23-2013 05:46 PM

FEJ (Fluttering Elevator Junk)

marcpamjoce 05-23-2013 05:47 PM

Hey Lowell, we need some help in here buddy.  Let everyone know what bribe you have up your sleeve for this one.  :)

VF84sluggo 05-23-2013 05:48 PM

Man...good thing it didn't end up on the expressway.

Sluggo

Wap4life 05-23-2013 05:49 PM

marcpamjoce 05-23-2013 05:53 PM

Looks like Maverick crash and burned on this one.  Did Goose get out ok?

marcpamjoce 05-23-2013 05:54 PM

I would like to here YellowAircraft, or should i say YellowBelly, comments on this one.

bevar 05-23-2013 05:56 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. Here was what happened after the flutter.

I immediately chopped the power and the nose drifted up and began a death roll to the right. I instantly got back on the power, went to high rates on everything, dropped the gear and was able to get control of the jet back...albeit in a right hand level turn of about 25 degrees using full up left stab and full left aileron and rudder.

After a few laps I felt comfortable enough to attempt a landing and began a gentle descending spiral. At the last moment I kicked out the rudder, got the wings level and made a near normal landing...albeit in the grass.

The only damage besides the obvious tail damage was the nose gear retract came loose. We did not even scratch a gear door.

Beave

VF84sluggo 05-23-2013 06:01 PM

Nice save!

Again, this could have been a news-making disaster had the jet gone out of control like Dantley's and hit the expressway.

Sluggo

tamjets 05-23-2013 06:02 PM

How was the linkage set up on this model?
Hope not with long servo arm like most ARF'S not showing proper install.

EDFJim 05-23-2013 06:07 PM

GREAT SAVE!!

dubd 05-23-2013 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: EDFJim

GREAT SAVE!!
Agreed! I wish I was as good or lucky!

tamjets 05-23-2013 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: marcpamjoce

Hey Lowell, we need some help in here buddy. Let everyone know what bribe you have up your sleeve for this one. :)
Excuse my language.
U m@@@@ ER trolling get lost.
Not a place to start your attack.

Sorry guys. Can't stand him anymore.

invertmast 05-23-2013 06:12 PM

Got any photos of the internal damage in the rear fuse? That will tell a whole lot about the lack of adequate structure.

AndyAndrews 05-23-2013 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Nice save!

Again, this could have been a news-making disaster had the jet gone out of control like Dantley's and hit the expressway.

Sluggo
Wait until you see the elevator. Unbelievable. It was an incredible save. I've never seen that much damage on an elevator on an F-18 and still be able to save the airframe. The rear is TRASHED from the flutter.

bevar 05-23-2013 06:12 PM

Some pics. Video tomorrow...well I'm trying to upload and it's not letting me. Ill post them tomorrow from SFO.

Cheers,

Beave

marcpamjoce 05-23-2013 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

VF84sluggo 05-23-2013 06:15 PM

Can't wait to see the pics and vid...from the sound of things it appears my "nice save" comment is the Understatement of the Century! :D

Sluggo

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo
Nice save!

Sluggo
Wait until you see the elevator. Unbelievable. It was an incredible save. I've never seen that much damage on an elevator on an F-18 and still be able to save the airframe. The rear is TRASHED from the flutter.

AndyAndrews 05-23-2013 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Boli just asked me to post these as he can't from his Iphone:

uncljoe 05-23-2013 06:28 PM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 16px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">bevar quote take out his post.

"For all of you out there who own the big F-18...I strongly advise you not to fly it until this issue is resolved. It is all about safety and in it's current form this jet and the stabilator/elevon/elevator (call it what you wish) is nowhere near sufficient for flight. Massive redesigning and strengthening of the entire back half of the jet is needed in my and others opinion. "

Hopefully all will take NOTICE of your info.along with the mfg.

Semper Fi
Joe

Tam you are so RIGHT !! hope your supply of Green Bottles are always on icehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

<br type="_moz" /></span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 16px; " />