RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   black horse now producing jets! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11521610-black-horse-now-producing-jets.html)

bluescoobydoo 05-24-2013 10:28 AM

black horse now producing jets!

viper jet on sale soon http://www2.ripmax.net/Item.aspx?Ite...3&Category=010

Dave Wilshere 05-24-2013 10:37 AM

RE: black horse now producing jets!

Yep, a promo video with half the gear hanging down :eek: Nice!

jetster81 05-24-2013 11:59 AM

360 quid for an airframe with no motor,fan,servos etc.

PhilYabelli 05-24-2013 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: jetster81

Especially a cheap one made in Vietnam, using only a little balsa and mostly cheap hardwood and plywood, put together with hot glue. Black Horse stuff is low budget for sure. I have had them.

txshan130 05-24-2013 01:45 PM

but it gets an applause

jetster81 05-24-2013 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: PhilYabelli

Especially a cheap one made in Vietnam, using only a little balsa and mostly cheap hardwood and plywood, put together with hot glue. Black Horse stuff is low budget for sure. I have had them.

Unless they have brushed up their act then you are right. Flushed with success with the sales of the Hunter Ripmax appeaers to have jumped on the "they are into jets so they must be rich" bandwagon and priced this one accordingly,and there will be some who will buy it.
<br type="_moz" />

PhilYabelli 05-24-2013 07:21 PM

Iwould think the Hunter, made by Feibao, to be a completely different market. Maybe this will be better than the typical Black Horse offering. But still very expensive for a balsa airframe.

BlackHorseBob 05-24-2013 10:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Yep, a promo video with half the gear hanging down :eek: Nice!
Well as the kit does not come with retracts (only oleos) I am sure Customers can buy ones that will stay up. Some nice little electric ones would do the job.I thought the plane flew very well in the video and landed nice and slowish. I think this could well be the start of something the hobby has needed for a long time. Well done Black Horse

BlackHorseBob 05-24-2013 10:38 PM

£360 is the suggested selling price from Ripmax. I am sure when these hit the shops in July they will be more like £299 after a short while.I think a P20 or a 44 gold would fly this very nice and be a fun jet, Better than some of the foam offerings in this size

bluescoobydoo 05-24-2013 11:47 PM

the boomerangs were balsa and a lot more money than this viper so the price is still good I think, its about time the jet boys had a run for their money

siclick33 05-25-2013 12:53 AM

This is a 90mm EDF. It might be suitable for P20 conversion (or similar) but it's not in the same performance/size/price band as a Boomernag.

DominicM 05-25-2013 01:17 AM

Or get the rebranded Graupner version. Looks nice but not sure I'd trust the thin built up wings.

http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...cts_id=9703935

trevor Skedge 05-25-2013 02:24 AM

That looks ok doesn't it.

PhilYabelli 05-25-2013 05:56 AM

ORIGINAL: BlackHorseBob

&pound;360 is the suggested selling price from Ripmax. I am sure when these hit the shops in July they will be more like &pound;299 after a short while.I think a P20 or a 44 gold would fly this very nice and be a fun jet, Better than some of the foam offerings in this size
That would still be very high for a 57"balsa plane.
Do you work for Black Horse Models?

DominicM 05-25-2013 07:19 AM

ORIGINAL: trevor Skedge
Yeah, but still made by the people who made the Bravo303 and that was the most unfortunate pile of garbage I have ever had the displeasure of owning. Have always thought of Black Horse being at the cheap end of the ARF market. Was a long time ago so maybe that has changed.

PhilYabelli 05-25-2013 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: DominicM

ORIGINAL: trevor Skedge
Yeah, but still made by the people who made the Bravo303 and that was the most unfortunate pile of garbage I have ever had the displeasure of owning. Have always thought of Black Horse being at the cheap end of the ARF market. Was a long time ago so maybe that has changed.

Yes, Iwould agree. Low end products. Most are flyable with a lot of work and expense. But a jet seems like a high risk. And the price is way out of line,

Henke Torphammar 05-25-2013 09:32 AM

I wonder why they are not knifedgeing their Viperjet 3ft of the deck in their promo video? I would get the Viperjet where they do :D:D

bluescoobydoo 05-25-2013 12:03 PM

I don't work for black horse or any other brand but I have owned and still own one of their kits and I have never had any problems with any of them I admit the retracts are a bit poor quality but that's probably why you can choose your own with the viper

PhilYabelli 05-25-2013 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: bluescoobydoo

I don't work for black horse or any other brand but I have owned and still own one of their kits and I have never had any problems with any of them I admit the retracts are a bit poor quality but that's probably why you can choose your own with the viper
You make a good point, the retracts are a major weak spot, they are better off leaving them out.

warbird_1 05-25-2013 02:16 PM

Great ... Just what we need..more chinese crap.

warbirdfanatic 05-25-2013 02:17 PM

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, the P20 does nothing for me considering EDF's put out much more power and the fact that the last black horse model I touched was built together with a hot glue gun, the solarfilm was scorched in places and the overall structure was lacking strength in the firewall. For less than the price of this you could grab one of those full fibreglass hobbyking ones in red, much better quality and lighter I believe!

Henke Torphammar 05-25-2013 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: warbirdfanatic

the P20 does nothing for me considering EDF's put out much more power
I've done ALOT of convertions and you are right, you can have an EDF put out much more power.... if it's named Schübeler... The calculation is simple.... turbine thrust times two equals EDF power. Lets say the P20 makes 4.5lb of power installed, you will need 9lb of EDF power to equal it. To make "much more power" I guess I would aim for 12lb of EDF power or so?!

This is not guessing, but from IRL testing...

BlackHorseBob 05-25-2013 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: warbirdfanatic

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, the P20 does nothing for me considering EDF's put out much more power and the fact that the last black horse model I touched was built together with a hot glue gun, the solarfilm was scorched in places and the overall structure was lacking strength in the firewall. For less than the price of this you could grab one of those full fibreglass hobbyking ones in red, much better quality and lighter I believe!

Yes but can you beat that turbine sound. And all those batts you have to lug around

marc s 05-26-2013 12:14 AM

Plus when you have burnt the fuel off at the end of the flight you land considerably lighter than an EDF.............

marcs

jetster81 05-26-2013 12:58 AM

ORIGINAL: marc s

Plus when you have burnt the fuel off at the end of the flight you land considerably lighter than an EDF.............

marcs
But with an edf the c of g is in exactly the same place as when you took off ,is that not better?

Listen to some of the later fans they have captured that turbine whoosh. these days better fans ,better morors and better lipos make EDF a very viable option not to mention prices coming down all the time.

I know some turbine guys look down on edf but there are more and more turning up at jet meets.
<br type="_moz" />