RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   I'd Like to propose an addendum to the safety code (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11522751-id-like-propose-addendum-safety-code.html)

Craig B. 05-26-2013 03:54 PM

RE: I'd Like to propose an addendum to the safety code

Rules are already set in place. What is needed is more enforcement of the existing rules from CDs at events. A good example is what Lewis does at KY Jets. At the beginning of each day there is a pilots meeting to remind all of the pilots of the rules. And then he actually enforces those rules with warnings if needed. I've seen this work and it works well. Making another rule isn't going to change a thing unless it's enforced in the first place. What makes anyone think that placing more rules on the books is going to change anything if the original rules aren't enforced? The only way to do this is for all to expect to be called out when breaking the rules and for those who are charged to enforce them to do their jobs.

I see no benefit from creating more rules.
+10!

Eddym 05-26-2013 04:59 PM

Unfortunely there are just as many wealthy knuckle heads as poor ones.

david surick 05-26-2013 05:49 PM

you guys be nice on threads keep it normal dont take it bad just take it all planes are fun and can crash keep it safe these are heavy i have a turbine only fly when no one is in area no parks or anyone around 408 746 5346 dave

Hustler58 05-26-2013 08:01 PM

While were at it lets tax the wealthy jet owners and make them pay for the poor jet owners that way it will be fair to everyone! WE have enough rules! Hope I made my point! Why is it you can tell the people that want to make more rule by the state they live in? Lets see how long till I get deleted. [:@]

stevekott 05-26-2013 09:51 PM

I wish every one thought the way they do in Texas! Wouldn't this be a much nicer country? Just Dreaming!

We have ENOUGH rules! Jet guys already fly by an additional set of rules and rightly so. If it ani't broke don't fix it!<br type="_moz" />

dubd 05-26-2013 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Rules are already set in place. What is needed is more enforcement of the existing rules from CDs at events. A good example is what Lewis does at KY Jets. At the beginning of each day there is a pilots meeting to remind all of the pilots of the rules. And then he actually enforces those rules with warnings if needed. I've seen this work and it works well. Making another rule isn't going to change a thing unless it's enforced in the first place. What makes anyone think that placing more rules on the books is going to change anything if the original rules aren't enforced? The only way to do this is for all to expect to be called out when breaking the rules and for those who are charged to enforce them to do their jobs.

Andy
+1

ira d 05-27-2013 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Andy
I also agree.

Art ARRO 05-28-2013 04:34 AM

Warbird 1,

After all this discussion, I'd like to see your proposed addendum to the AMA Safety Code.  Please enlighten us.

Art ARRO

invertmast 05-28-2013 04:53 AM

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

ORIGINAL: ozief16

Something else to think about is the varying environments in which we fly. For instance we can approach 6k' density altitude. I run a P120 in my BV mig, not because I want to go fast (not at all the plane for it), but because it feels more like a 100 at 2k and 100 deg F. Do you want a guy in Denver marginally powered because he followed the std recommendation but in reality is far below that thrust level in his environment?

Dave
there can be provisions made for your condition . i'm just trying to think of a way to hold careless and reckless people accountable , not drown myself or anyone else in rules. but when i go to an event i want to feel safe, sometimes i don't

If you go to an event and feel unsafe, the. Get your butt out of your chair and go talk to the event director and express your concerns!

If you do not speak up, they cant fix the problem as they may be to busy with other things to watch the flying going on all day

drdoom 05-28-2013 06:26 AM

Ever attended a quickie 500 event.

sidgates 05-28-2013 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

As i rifle through the jet forums and see multiple problems with airframes and their failures i have to wonder how no one has been seriously injured or worst yet .. killed. I'm talking mostly about the spectators . I was at Joe Nall a few years ago when a well know pilot fireballed his turbine into the runway . Though in my opinion ,it wasn't his fault . but what bothered me was the fact that it happened in clear site of the AMA council while they were conducting a meeting while that plane was clearly breaking the 200 MPH mark set by AMA. that bothered me.. I like every other pipe jockey love to go fast but you have to ask , how fast is fast enough ? What i'm getting at is the fact that i see over and over , guys putting way to much power in some of these air frames. I would like to see a set of regulations that make a jet builder/flyer adhere to the manufacture recommended power plant for their air frame. I believe that being proactive rather than reactive is the best approach. As everyone knows, we are under a microscope as it is and one bad event could really hurt the whole modeling community . i would like to start and open and non-combative discussion on this topic . i'm in no means in favor of more rules and regulations and we have had a really good safety record and i'd like to see it stay that way . I'm not putting all jet flyers in the same mold,but the few percentage that put safety second are the ones i'm concerned about . The second concern is the quality of some of the ARF's being sold to us. The manufactures have little or no vested interest in our future as modelers. That is evident by the lack of quality which translates into lack of safety concerns. they are protected against legal action , we are not . i welcome ideas good and bad but let's keep in civil
-

I believe the most effective tool available is forums like RCU where good or bad information is disseminated world wide almost instantly. Our current AMA rules cover most of the unsafe flying that I have witnessed personally in the past few years.

High speed passes down the runway endangering other flyers and the pilot is the main safety hazard I have witnessed in recent years. Most club rules cover this problem but enforcement is lax. Also I don’t think we do enough to educate the casual spectator about the risk involved in attending a flying event, not just model jets but also large warbird events.

Our hobby can not afford the dollar costs of national rules that cover model plane construction and enforcement of this type of regulation. “Problem” exposure on RCU and other forums is the most cost effective regulation for our hobby.