RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Futaba SBUS2 telemetry, JetCat ECU, IAS and AoA indicator/warning, autothrottle and datalogger (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11570142-futaba-sbus2-telemetry-jetcat-ecu-ias-aoa-indicator-warning-autothrottle-datalogger.html)

mick15 09-11-2013 11:09 AM

Ok, the VX ecu information out is via a servo type plug. (but then you probably already knew that)...............lol.

m

Carsten Groen 09-11-2013 11:18 AM

Hi Mick,
no I did not know that, it all depends on the type of communication port on the ECU (serial, I2C etc). I will dig into this a little further down the road!

mick15 09-11-2013 11:22 AM

Great!

Carsten Groen 09-27-2013 05:20 AM

While waiting for the final prototype of the ASSI device, I got prototype for the graphic LCD display for cockpit mounting running, right now only with simulated data, real life data will be right around the corner :)
(the same display can also be used without the ASSI device, it connects directly to JetCat ECU's, and will show engine data/statistics (like the original "JetCat Info Display", now in color graphics, I did a couple of years ago: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...n-project.html)

PS: the colors are WAY off on the video, text and colors are crisp and very clear !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDgGxKd7bY

Selleri 09-27-2013 05:58 AM

Impressive!

PaulD 09-27-2013 03:59 PM

Very nice!

.....but now I have a sore neck from looking sideways. :D

PaulD

Carsten Groen 09-27-2013 11:09 PM

Thanks Poul,
and I'm sooooo sorry for your neck ;)
I did the video and upload from my mobile, and did not find any way for rotating it inside youtube.
I'm in the process of making a test-stand with 2 x P100RX on it, dual ASSI devices, GPS and a 7008 receiver, and two of the display units. I will shoot some pictures of it when finished, and also try to do a video of the operation (and this time I will promise to use a better camera, and rotate it properly :p)

Selleri 09-29-2013 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen (Post 11626249)
I did the video and upload from my mobile, and did not found any way for rotating it inside youtube.

Go into the edit mode of your video and find the Enhancements bit at top, then inside that view you can rotate it. :cool:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1925993

Carsten Groen 09-30-2013 01:08 AM

Thanks Sverrir, I had not noticed the small arrow!
(Paul, you can now safely watch the video again :cool:)

In the meantime I did another video. I connected a P100RX to the ASSI device and a small 1 ml syringe to the airspeed port (a 1 ml syringe through a piece of 1 meter 6mm Festo tube works well)
The ASSI device is then connected to the LCD display. Again, the colors and sharpness of the display if WAY better than the stupid camera can show (the display is perfectly readable even in direct sunshine!) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYhWuS3kHg

Carsten Groen 10-03-2013 02:25 AM

Another (blurry) video, this is of a dual engine setup using two P100RX. Engine #1 is connected to a master ASSI device, engine #2 connected to a slave ASSI device.
Two LCD displays are also on the CAN bus, LCD device #1 shows data from ASSI (engine) #1 and LCD device #2 shows data from ASSI and engine #2.
Note that the slave ASSI device is "dumb", it only gets the current throttle setting from the CAN bus, and returns engine data from the ECU it is connected to (and logs engine data for it's own engine on it's SD card).
The master ASSI device logs all data, IAS, G force, AoA, engine #1 data, all servo positions, all SBUS2 sensor data etc etc.
The log from the master ASSI device can be imported into Google Earth as shown above in this thread.

http://youtu.be/Z3MHPmhMACs

Carsten Groen 10-03-2013 04:47 AM

BTW, the prototypes of the ASSI device had a limitation regarding the airspeed, it could only measure up to 295 km/h (around 180 mph), the production types can now measure up to 460 km/h (around 285 mph)
(a few local friends were ranting about this limitation, now they can also measure WOT performance of their planes ;))

Carbon-Customs 10-03-2013 04:49 AM

AT LAST Carsten :D it wont be long before we complain about the 460kph either....

PaulD 10-03-2013 07:55 AM

Ok stop tempting us..... when can we get our hands on these things?

PaulD

Carsten Groen 10-03-2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 11630001)
Ok stop tempting us..... when can we get our hands on these things?

PaulD

Sorry Paul ;)
Right now I'm testing the final prototypes of the ASSI device, looks to be ok. In the next couple of weeks I will do some more testing, and then hopefully production can start!
My best guess (and it's only a guess) is that there will be products in a month or so. It all depends on the testing and final tweaks of the software.
The LCD díspay will be a couple of weeks more, need to do a final set of prototypes, and then production

But you will for sure be able to mount the devices during winter so they are ready for spring ;)

Olkajet 10-03-2013 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen (Post 11630016)
Sorry Paul ;)
Right now I'm testing the final prototypes of the ASSI device, looks to be ok. In the next couple of weeks I will do some more testing, and then hopefully production can start!
My best guess (and it's only a guess) is that there will be products in a month or so. It all depends on the testing and final tweaks of the software.
The LCD díspay will be a couple of weeks more, need to do a final set of prototypes, and then production

But you will for sure be able to mount the devices during winter so they are ready for spring ;)

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...
:-)

Carsten Groen 10-15-2013 12:21 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Installed the ASSI device in Ole Kastrups ("olkajet") CARF Eurosport (P160SX) and in Kasper Holgers ("CarbonCustoms") FeiBao Mirage (P180RX) last weekend. Both did a number of flights and I examined the data from a couple of flights. The Mirage was maidened this weekend, and on that there are some interesting things to note!
The signal quality/strength is right on the edge in this installation, when the Mirage is coming towards the pilot from approx 200 meters distance, the signal quality drops from 3 (max) to 2 and sometimes down to 1 (0 is NOT good ;)). The yellow "paddles" shows when the signal quality is below maximum.
However there is not failsafe frames from the flight so it was not so that the control was lost. Below is a couple of pictures and screendumps from both Google Earth and a few from Excel (the raw logfiles was just opened in Excel)

Carsten Groen 10-25-2013 12:29 AM

Good news :)
I'm talking with a (very well known) company that is looking into producing the ASSI device! They have done some calculations on the price for the ASSI device and it seems it will be in the neighbourhood of Euro 180,- including VAT (around USD$ 210) for the end-user. They need however to "probe" the interest for this before hitting the "start" button.

For them to get a better feeling for this, it would be nice if you could write how many devices you would be interested in (preorder)

Please note, this is for the ASSI deviceonly (the LCD device is NOT included in this)

GrahamN 10-25-2013 01:12 AM

Count me in for two please

Gonzalo38 10-25-2013 03:16 AM

I would buy three (3) of them.

gotspg 10-25-2013 03:20 AM

Count me in for two to start, but i can see me purchasing at least six.

Olkajet 10-25-2013 03:30 AM

VERY great news.. Count me in for 3.. Then all my jets have one installed :rolleyes:
This is very cheap when you think of the extra security you add to your plane.. It is great for range check, in-flight check of signal strength, minimum fuel warning, speed measurement /warnings /or limitation,Cruise control and warnings of minimum speed in landings.. Logging of all the data, and a lot of other features in the log..

PaulD 10-25-2013 05:37 AM

Count me in. Only reservation is I have all Projet ECu's - BF and IQ hammer turbines so would love to see the update when it comes out.

PaulD

Plane Insane 10-25-2013 05:53 AM

Count me in for two right away. If / when they are compatible with JetCentral I'll buy a two more..
Great work! Glad to see it come to this!
Thanks,
David

Helijet 10-25-2013 06:04 AM

I will take 2

Cheers
Dean W.
Canada

VF84sluggo 10-25-2013 07:11 AM

Very Impressive indeed!

+1 on the Xicoy/Kingtech compatibility