RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Turbine oil? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11578057-turbine-oil.html)

SECRET AGENT 07-23-2013 05:18 PM

Turbine oil?

Guys, anybody know if you can use BP 2389 in our turbines? It's equivalent is Aeroshell 308. The mil-spec number is MIL-PRF-7808L.

snir2001 07-24-2013 02:50 AM

RE: Turbine oil?

Yes you can, no problems.

Try using Mobil DTE Light, it's the healthy alternative. (I'm using it with all my turbines for years).

SECRET AGENT 07-24-2013 03:05 AM

Thanks for the response. I do plan on using DTE Light as soon as my current inventory of other oil is exhausted. I just hate to waste anything.

celso 07-24-2013 03:53 AM

Hello

What is the percentual that you are using ( 5% )? What turbine brands are you running DTE ?

Regards

celso 07-24-2013 03:54 AM

Anybody else running Mobil Dte Light ? What are the opinions about this oil?? I have been using Aeroshell 500
Regards</p>

hotspot 01 07-24-2013 04:13 AM

Got mates running dte no issues for the last few years still got about 10 tins of 2380 to go will swap over once used.

celso 07-24-2013 04:23 AM

Ok .Are you running 5% ? Have you ever used it in JETCAT turbines?
Regards

kevinthoele 07-24-2013 05:06 AM

Yes in all brands with the DTE. We have done in Jetcat, Kingtech, AMT, RTI and I will check to see what others brands.

celso 07-24-2013 05:08 AM

OK, thanks Kevin

Gonzalo38 07-24-2013 05:22 AM

ORIGINAL: snir2001
Yes you can, no problems.

Try using Mobil DTE Light, it's the healthy alternative. (I'm using it with all my turbines for years).
Healthier alternative is the use of 2T full synthetic oil (JASO FC or FD), but not every manufacturer out there is recommending it. I know for sure Jetcentral does recommend it and show up as alternative NÂș1 in their manuals. Should be mixed at 2% which makes it a very cheap alternative.

celso 07-24-2013 05:36 AM

Hello Gonzalo

I have seen that JET CENTRAL - JETS MUNT - WREN turbine aproves the use of DTE LIGHT and 2T oil. Regarding costs, Mobil DTE LIGHT, here in Brazil seems to be the cheapest option. Have you ever tried DTE or 2T oils?

Gonzalo38 07-24-2013 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Celso:

We don't have the DTE Light oil in Chile and most of the jet pilots have decided to switch to 2T oil because is less toxic. We just made a big purchase of Motul 710 which is the oil we are going to be using (same oil being used in the Jetcentral factory to try all their turbines).

Is not an expensive oil and the fact that you can use it at 2%, makes it a very good alternative.

Regarding Mobil DTE, I understand that its recommend it at 5% and some manufacturers like Kingtech are not recommending it since they have seen some problems with the bearings http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11342374/tm.htm

celso 07-24-2013 06:08 AM

Thanks Gonzalo

As i have seen , i think both oils ( DTE - 2T ) will be good options over classic aero turbine oils. I would like to know opinions about users of both oils regarding reports after turbine services. ( coking, bearings conditions )

toolmaker7341 07-24-2013 07:12 AM

I plan on running Shell Tellus 32 as it is a direct cross over from Mobil DTE. I have a 5 gal. pail of the Shell on hand. Anybody use Shell?

Meesh 07-24-2013 07:47 AM

I have a Jetcat P-70 and P80SE run at 5%. No problems. It doesn't separate either.

It is non-Carcinogenic, won't cause cancer. Do a google search on Nanophosphates. That is what is generated when you burn the standard "Turbine Oil". Very bad stuff.

celso 07-24-2013 08:20 AM

Thanks
I will go with Mobil DTE. Seems to be safe and a lot more cheaper here in Brazil.

Malcolm H 07-24-2013 09:21 AM

Toolmaker7341,

Shell Tellus32 is a hydraulic and circulating fluid which contains an anti-wear, rust and oxidation inhibiting package. Whether these components will burn cleanly without residue is an unknown and I would be very wary about using it in a model turbine without prior approval from the manufacturer.

Malcolm

celso 07-24-2013 09:27 AM

Hello

Seems that Kingtech oil contains Shell Tellus 32 + Synthetics

Meesh 07-24-2013 10:07 AM

It seems we can no longer edit post???

I made an error in my post above. The product of standard Turbine oils burning are Organophosphates not Nanophosphates

toolmaker7341 07-24-2013 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Toolmaker7341,

Shell Tellus32 is a hydraulic and circulating fluid which contains an anti-wear, rust and oxidation inhibiting package. Whether these components will burn cleanly without residue is an unknown and I would be very wary about using it in a model turbine without prior approval from the manufacturer.

Malcolm

That is the usage listed for DTE Light is Hydraulic circulating lubricating fluid. No listing for turbine usage. The Chevron label for their cross from Mobil is Turbo Oil.

Just wondered if anyone had used Shell. I plan on trying it, worst case I have to replace the bearings. I will post findings after a few months unless it doesn't make it that far.

Regards

snir2001 07-24-2013 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: celso

Hello

What is the percentual that you are using ( 5% )? What turbine brands are you running DTE ?

Regards
Using 5% DTE on my Jetcats, ATJ and Evojet. few years with no problems what so ever.
recently I opened up one Jetcat for inspection after 30h, clean and smooth, no service needed.

M3Baker 07-24-2013 02:42 PM

I'm running Mobile DTE light at 5% in a Jet Central turbine. Put many gallons through it with no issues.

ORIGINAL: celso

Hello

Regards

josecilurzo 07-24-2013 03:08 PM

if we had heard positive reports about the conditions of engines opened before that used mobil dte, why jetcat does not recomend dte ?

Is an great doubt mine....

Jose

celso 07-25-2013 04:19 AM

Hello Jose, how are you?

What seems strange for me is that JETCENTRAL - JETSMUNT - WREN TURBINES aprove the use of Mobil DTE AND 2t oils. Many users have reported no problems using these oils. What is so special or so difference with JETCAT from other turbines? JETCAT is also selling their own oil
Regards

Gonzalo38 07-25-2013 04:46 AM

Celso:

If you start looking around in this forum, you will find that this question has been made several times and during several years, but there's never been an official Jetcat answer. Maybe they don't want to give away their profitable oil business away ?

All other brands are much more open to new ideas, but never seen this with Jetcat so don't waste your time and just go and fly......