RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   small quiet generators? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11587256-small-quiet-generators.html)

trioval00 09-23-2013 01:44 PM

small quiet generators?

ok, I am looking at 2 generators I have access too. and only 2. Generac 1600 and the Honetwell 2k.

Between these 2 generators. which one is the quietest one?

any pro's or con's between the 2?

Any issues to keep me away from one or the other?

please DO NOT tell me to go by a Honda, NOT an option......

Thanks for the help....

Mark

JackD 09-23-2013 02:07 PM

You are going to hate me, but, if you want quiet like you say in the title, go buy a Honda :) :) :)

I bought a Honeywell 1400 and saved 400 vs a honda 2000.. Even thought it is a chunck of change, I regret the purchase every day I use it. The noise is unbearable. I usually put it at least 2 to 300' away. It is the only way I can manage it. It is weak, I can barely take the inital load of my charger (eventhough is supposedly rated for 1600 peak). Other than that. It works well, but it is the noise what will drive you insane

I'm about to sell mine in craigslists for whatever people give me for it

i can't insist enough on not buying any of these (generac and honeywell are both the same machine, built by generac).

You will hate paying the extra money only the day you write the check (or you pay the CC bill), after that, you will be so happy you spent the money on quality.

Trust me on this one

Later
Jack

DrScoles 09-23-2013 02:27 PM

My honda 2000 is put at the end of my trailer 10-15' away and the sound is fairly innocuous.

Ron Stahl 09-23-2013 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by JackD (Post 11622550)
You are going to hate me, but, if you want quiet like you say in the title, go buy a Honda :) :) :)

I bought a Honeywell 1400 and saved 400 vs a honda 2000.. Even thought it is a chunck of change, I regret the purchase every day I use it. The noise is unbearable. I usually put it at least 2 to 300' away. It is the only way I can manage it. It is weak, I can barely take the inital load of my charger (eventhough is supposedly rated for 1600 peak). Other than that. It works well, but it is the noise what will drive you insane

i can't insist enough on not buying any of these (generac and honeywell are both the same machine, built by generac).

You will hate paying the extra money only the day you write the check (or you pay the CC bill), after that, you will be so happy you spent the money on quality.

Trust me on this one

Later
Jack

Listen to the man he knows what he is talking about.

Gonzalo38 09-23-2013 02:33 PM

Honda all the way..... use to have one and the noise is so low that you even forget that it is running.

David Searles 09-23-2013 02:40 PM

I can't speak to the Generac, but I've owned two of the Honeywell and I wouldn't spend your money to acquire another one! Extremely difficult to start after the initial breakin period. Junk!

David S

rcpete347 09-23-2013 02:42 PM

HI, I have had 7 generators, buy a Honda.
Rcpete

jtlittle 09-23-2013 02:47 PM

If you are charging packs sooner or later a junk gen will cost you an airframe. Bum off a buddy until you can afford a honda.

patrnflyr 09-23-2013 03:06 PM

Honda 2000

Dr Honda 09-23-2013 03:08 PM

Yep... I'm with the majority of the guys above. The Honda's are great !!! The 1KW is SUPER quiet.

If you read the reviews on the Generac and the Honeywell both kind of suck. They are hit-or-miss. (You may get a good one, or a bad one) And neither will actually put out the rated power without tripping themselves. The Honda will put out full power 100%.

Personally... I have a little Yamaha (EF600) They don't make it anymore, and it's from the day's before inverters. It was one of the original "Breifcase" sized generators, and it's almost as quiet as the new Honda's. I keep thinking about upgrading... but that old Yamaha just keeps running. (it's almost 25 years old now)

Anyway... My vote is for the honda. Spend a few $$ more now... and have it for a life time.

lopflyers 09-23-2013 03:15 PM

Im selling one cheap, it does make a lot of noise but if you put it away (anyways the fumes will kill you if it is too close), run a long extension cord and wallla. Charge happy

flyinfool1 09-23-2013 03:28 PM

I had the Generac for a while. It did not take me long to sell it at a loss to get a better one. The Generac was always hard starting and VERY LOUD.
If quiet is a primary concern, Honda and Yamaha are your only options, they are about equal in sound level, power output, cost and quality. If you shop around you can get them online with free delivery and some less bad pricing.
I now have a Baldor industrial generator. It is not quite as quiet as a Honda or a Yamaha but still acceptable. But is also not as expensive as the Honda or Yamaha.

davidhand 09-23-2013 04:08 PM

Our local volunteer fire department has a Honda on it's truck. It's been completely reliable and it's almost silent.

ddennison 09-23-2013 04:34 PM

I also bought a Honda 2000. Bought it used from Craigslist to soften the blow. $750. runs great and is quiet.

cooper998 09-23-2013 05:08 PM

Before you kill the messenger, I actually bought one of those 89.99 Harbor Freight generators for emergency use around the house in case the power went out. While it was relatively quiet compared to others I quieted it down further by adding an extra muffler similar to the slimline snuffler. Most lawn mower shops sell the unit for use on B&S engines and after brazing the unit to the outlet of the stock muffler it was quiet enough to keep running on the deck and you could barely hear indoors.
The only down side to that was the limited output, it was fine running a 15amp power supply but the 12 volt side was not properly filtered unless you used a battery in the circuit to run the chargers (only good for about 4~5amps).
I'll look and see if I still have pics (generator was stolen a few month's ago)

JackD 09-23-2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by JackD (Post 11622550)

Trust me on this one

Later
Jack

After writing this, I realized life is too short to use crappy stuff. So, just put it on craigslist for sale and a new honda will be ordered soon haha.... thanks Mark for pushing me :D :D :D

Jetkopter 09-23-2013 06:03 PM

Mark if you show up with anything less that a Honda , Scott and I wont let you pit with us. The no name generators your looking at have been known to catch fire at night, just sayin.

trioval00 09-23-2013 06:07 PM

well, the reason I asked about the two, Honeywell and generac, is a family member has those two and willing to "Give " me a deal on either one of them.... so not wanting to say NO, not sure which one to take.....so at this time, Honda and Yamaha's are not an option.

Mark

2walla 09-23-2013 06:15 PM

Look for an older used Honda- I have an EM650 that had maybe 3 tanks of gas through it.. It is 30 years old but like new.. And because it is not an inverter generator it was cheap.. Usually when I go flying, I use my motorhome coach batteries to charge my stuff but after a day of flying/charging they will be dead.. I use this to run a battery charger hooked to the house batteries...in lieu of running the 5000kw generator on the motorhome that will only put a 4-5 amp charge on the house batteries. And I can stand to let the Honda run( and listen to the low hum) all day on 1/4 gallon of fuel.. It will run a 500 watt output DC power supply ok, but I prefer to have a battery as a buffer in case I plug in another charger.. The inverter ones are great if you want to run high end electronics but for running a DC power supply they are fine.. Note that most of the DC outputs on the generators are generally not suitable to run anything electronic and are limited to about 100 watts maximum on an intermittent basis.. If you look you can probably pick one up for 150-200 that runs fine..

Dr Honda 09-23-2013 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cooper998 (Post 11622713)
Before you kill the messenger, I actually bought one of those 89.99 Harbor Freight generators for emergency use around the house...................

Yes... they do work... but they are CRAZY loud. It makes our turbines seam quiet. (lol)

Originally Posted by trioval00 (Post 11622748)
well, the reason I asked about the two, Honeywell and generac, is a family member has those two and willing to "Give " me a deal on either one of them.... so not wanting to say NO, not sure which one to take.....so at this time, Honda and Yamaha's are not an option.

Mark

Then... take the cheaper of the two.

JackD 09-23-2013 06:41 PM

Mark

if you HAVE to pick one (i mean, if your life depends on it haha) flip a coin. They are both generac. It is a balance of weight and charging needs. if you are just charging your receiver batteries and small electrics, get the lighter one. If you are doing high power stuff (12s helis, high power edf) go 2000

Or better yet, get the one that has the highest resale value on craigslists :D

Can you tell I hate my generator???? :) :)

PaulD 09-23-2013 08:33 PM

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Kipor-IG2000-2...or+gegenerator

not quite as good as a Honda 2000 but for 1/2 the price pretty damn good!

there's lots of posts on the net about comparisons. If I had my choice, I would go Honda but for what I need it for, the Kipor has been great.

paulD

Henke Torphammar 09-23-2013 09:14 PM

Mark

In the case a great opportunity to lend them for a week and try them out.

husafreak 09-23-2013 09:35 PM

Honda or Yamaha are quiet, the others aren't. I bought whatever brand Walmart sells (Honeywell 2000?) and it kept dropping off line so I returned it and got a Honda 2000. PITA really. So try your friends geny's to see if they both carry the load.
Remember that if you have a big charger like a PL8 it can put out 1400W at 40 A, which I do to charge my Electra and heli packs, but you realistically need a 2000W generator to run it. Huge losses are the norm when you convert AC to DC and then run big chargers.
If you go Honda or Yamaha call all the motorcycle shops around you for the best price. I was racing dirt bikes for awhile and the real reason for the quiet geny's is so everyone can get some sleep. You wont see anything but Honda's in the pits and staging (camping) areas. But at a loud flying field you can get away with a louder generator, but it has to work too. You can find guys doing sound meter tests for all the brands on the net, search Youtube.

paulsf86 09-23-2013 09:38 PM

I have had a Kipor for many years. Looks like a Honda in a yellow package. Same noise specs and it is quiet. Price is a lot lower than Honda.

dbsonic 09-23-2013 09:57 PM

I think the Harbor Freight one uses a reed valve. With that thing slapping all the time it puts out a high frequency noise on the intake as well as any noise out the muffler. So you get it from both sides. But they actually run well just limited capacity and noisy.

RCFlyerDan 09-24-2013 02:45 AM

Have you seen or heard the little $89 generator(with coupon from AMA mag) from Harbour Freight? A guy at one of the meets down here in Fl, had one on the flight line. It was actually quiet, but not sure how it took electrical loads.

bigbri 09-24-2013 03:17 AM

Hi Mark. A buddy of mine gat a ryobe generator at Home Depot. Super quiet! As quiet as any Honda generator. According to him. Hondas patient on their muffler technology has expired! So others are copying it. I will get the model number from him later today. I think he paid in the 700 dollar range! Hope to see you in Hamburg!
Btian : )

P.S. I have the 89 dollar HF generator. Great for the price... But not quiet at all and puts out very "dirty" power. My smart charger often goes into safety shutdown when I try to use it . But it did keep my fridge running for days during a power outage!

bigbri 09-24-2013 03:27 AM

Hi Mark Brian agian. The generator is the Ryobe RYI2200 super quiet 549 at Home Depot. I may get one myself.

rgburrill 09-24-2013 04:23 AM

Mark

Usually a "deal" from a family member only leads to anger in the family.

rexbirk 09-24-2013 04:25 AM

I have a Generac 800. Starts easily if the directions are followed exactly. Fairly quiet, not as quiet as a Honda.

Dr Honda 09-24-2013 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by rgburrill (Post 11622978)
Usually a "deal" from a family member only leads to anger in the family.

I agree.

Unless they are GIVING it to you... it's not a deal.

S_Ellzey 09-24-2013 04:48 AM

I Have the Honeywell and use it for remote power at our ranch. The first one was allways very hard to start, and finally was impossible to start. Honeywell replaced it under warrenty. The replacement is not too hard to start, it's a bit cranky once in a while, but it is loud compared to a Honda, and does tend to trip the breaker on loads that it should carry. last time I tried to use it the pull cord broke (bad design), and I am thinking about dumping it and getting a Honda rather than fixing it. Bottom line they do cost a lot less, but you get what you pay for.

Vampire 09-24-2013 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by bigbri (Post 11622952)
Hi Mark Brian agian. The generator is the Ryobe RYI2200 super quiet 549 at Home Depot. I may get one myself.

+1

I just purchased this subject Ryobi 2200i as well. On the "quite scale" if a Honda is a 10, this Ryobi is a solid 9 and at 25% of the price of a new Honda 2000i and nearly the same warrnaty period on the engine !! here is the link to Homedepot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-220...2200/203617901 See everyone next week at the Hamburg Jet Rally.

kurt2022 09-24-2013 05:52 AM

We had an electric guy that brought a small generator to our field on sunday and we finally told him to shut it down due to many people getting a headache from the noise, including me! Other than noise from engines and talk, I DO NOT want to hear a radio or a generator, I want to have peace and quiet and hear the sounds of NATURE, not a stinking GENERATOR, no matter how quiet "they" say it is!

Wclays 09-24-2013 06:15 AM

I have a Honeywell 2K generator and it works well, not too loud, sometimes just a little cranky to start but have figured out how to do it correctly. It has been worth what it cost.

prr6100 09-24-2013 06:16 AM

+1

S_Ellzey 09-24-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Vampire (Post 11623028)
+1

I just purchased this subject Ryobi 2200i as well. On the "quite scale" if a Honda is a 10, this Ryobi is a solid 9 and at 25% of the price of a new Honda 2000i and nearly the same warrnaty period on the engine !! here is the link to Homedepot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-220...2200/203617901 See everyone next week at the Hamburg Jet Rally.

The price at Home Depot is $600, that is 60% of the price of a Honda. The Ryobi is rated at 63 dB while the Honda is 53 to 59 dB, depending on load. That means the Ryobi would sound 2 to 3 times louder than the Honda (every 3 dB doubles the energy), but 63 is still pretty quite. The Ryobi does have about 10% more power output than the Honda. If I do replace the Honeywell I'll have to take a hard look at the Ryobi.

DiscoWings 09-24-2013 06:32 AM

I have a honda 1000 and a honda 3000 handi, both have been great. The 3000 stays in the trailer while the 1000 comes along with me when I go the field with just my truck, the 1000 is able to run 2 400 watt power supplies so I can charge big bats at 2-3c. The 2000 is not much more, but the 1000 was able to handle all the charging I needed so I save a couple of bucks and also its only 27 lbs.

Don't go cheap, the knock off kipor/otc/pepboys break within the first couple of months.

Yes Honda is even better than yamaha, I had a yamaha 1000 and problems started 2nd year...

patf 09-24-2013 06:56 AM

Steve

i wonder if you could rent one from a HD with tool rental to check it out for a weekend.