RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Need kerosene source in SE Alabama or NW Florida (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11604265-need-kerosene-source-se-alabama-nw-florida.html)

Hobby Inn 09-18-2014 04:17 PM

Need kerosene source in SE Alabama or NW Florida

Anybody know where I can get some kerosene in Dothan or Enterprise Alabama? I am located in Bonifay, Florida. Will go to Tallahassee or Pensacola if necessary.

Thanks.

SECRET AGENT 09-18-2014 04:20 PM

Are you talking abut pump Kero or Kero in a can? I'm sure Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware has it in 5 gallon cans but no idea where you can get it out the pump, that's more of a northern thing I think.

Hobby Inn 09-18-2014 04:42 PM

Primarily looking for pump. Called Lowes tonight and nothing. Will check other big box stores tomorrow. When I lived in South Florida we had a gas station a mile from the field that had kero at the pump. Sure miss those days!

afterburner 09-18-2014 05:47 PM

Seems that it's mostly the no name stations or the small regional chains that sell kero at least here in Virginia. Have you tried asking at your local stations if they know who might sell it?

Hobby Inn 09-18-2014 06:05 PM

The best I have so far is "in a couple more months." Though it is allegedly Florida, it really gets cold in the North section.

SECRET AGENT 09-18-2014 06:52 PM

I know what you mean, sometimes we can even see our breath in the winter, HA! You will probably have more luck finding a local FBO who will sell you Jet-A from a pump. Some places have a stand alone pump you can swipe a credit card to pay. Might want to make friends with a local FBO anyway, not only will they sometimes give you free Jet-A that they have to drain from their fuel trucks daily, but they also sometimes have cans of Turbine Oil they either don't want or can't sell because it's beyond the marked date or has a spot of rust on the can. I have scored literally cases of free Turbine Oil that way. Always good to make friends. Good luck.

FalconWings 09-18-2014 09:13 PM

You know most engines run on diesel with no modifications required right?

Hobby Inn 09-19-2014 05:23 AM

Yep. However, the engines I need it for are an "early 21st century" RAM1000X and PST600R. If I do not find any, I will go back to Jet-A.

SECRET AGENT 09-19-2014 06:40 AM

That does bring up a good question that possibly someone here has some experience with.

Can you run older technology turbines with diesel? Sure would make life easier if you could.

Anyone?

patf 09-19-2014 08:48 AM

check on locations that sell propane. here we have Northwest Propane that also sells kero.

grbaker 09-19-2014 09:03 AM

Check with oil distributors in your area.

757jonp 09-19-2014 12:06 PM

I just ran a goggle search of kerosene for sale in Dothan and came up with about 15 stations selling it.

Hobby Inn 09-23-2014 11:57 AM

Google has a lot of hits that do not exist. I started with Google before I ever posted the question.