RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   New JetCat P220Rxi (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11622285-new-jetcat-p220rxi.html)

Dave Wilshere 10-01-2015 05:34 AM

New JetCat P220Rxi

The completely new developed JetCat P220 RXi, has not only an engine including an integrated brushless and fully encapsulated fuel pump but also features a brushless starter / generator system!
The rotor of the fuel pump is running in the fuel, therefore the otherwise necessary shaft seals can be omitted. The starter / generator operates completely mechanical contact free to the turbine shaft. Therefore the "coupling" of starter to engine rotor is resistant to wear and dirt (no slippage of the starter clutch by oil/dirt, no O-ring wear possible)
The specially designed “non-contact coupling system” (patend pending) also ensures that the brushless generator, compared to the engine rotor, only spins at comparably low rpms (well below 10,000 1 / min). This ensures a very high reliability and durability of the entire starter / generator system.

Furthermore, the JetCat P220 RXi has been optimized for a minimal system weight. The housing is made of thin-walled laser welded stainless steel. The entire engine, including integrated brushless pump, valves, fuel filter, generator and charging system only weighs 1850g.
In conjunction with the new “JetCat BMS system” (BMS=Battery Management System) lighter and smaller receiver batteries than previously required can be used. The receiver batteries are constantly recharged via the BMS system as soon as the engine is running.

Never charge batteries, only refuel in the future!
After starting the engine, the engine battery is recharged via the generator with high power. The engine side electronics controls the charging current / voltage automatically.
The engine battery is also charged if the engine runs at idle. The optional JetCat BMS system can be used to also recharge the receiver batteries. In this configuration, the BMS-system ensures that the receiver batteries are always fully charged upon the next engine startup. The charging of the receiver batteries will continue until these are completely full, even if the RC-system of the model should have been powered down.

First units before Xmas

Ragz 10-01-2015 05:52 AM

Wow !!!

bidrseed2 10-01-2015 06:16 AM

I wonder what the charging current is and how it will affect fuel consumption?

schroedm 10-01-2015 06:36 AM

Dave, what has the testing been like on these units? After the nightmares on 3 of my 180RXs it makes me a little apprehensive....

skymaster68 10-01-2015 06:52 AM

+1 Sounds really cool !!!
Any price estimate for it??

Dave Wilshere 10-01-2015 07:00 AM

Its been a peach since day one...but knowing what has been before the release has been delayed so that more testing can be done in the field.
The starter and pump uses a fraction of the brushed units, so reliable starts still happen with discharged ECU packs. Output can be up to something like 7A!! the whole assembly is very free running, so its a small increase, obviously starting with a charged pack the system will recharge during the flight, if you are just using the ECU charging then with the small load starter and pump its only the burner working hard, my 140Rxi uses 300mAh per flight cycle, this will be much less. If you use the Rx pack charging then it is done from the ECU pack, so that is then drawn down. but the Rx is full. One flight will recharge the ECU pack. So long as you don't do lots of short "test" runs and fly each month you should never have to charge again!
It has the potential to be a huge leap for us all.

derrickxp8103 10-01-2015 07:03 AM

Pictures of the engine????

DrScoles 10-01-2015 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Google is your friend…. ;-) does say 220 on the side… very exciting stuff!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2123080

AKB 10-01-2015 07:40 AM

Hi Dave
Do you know if the new brushless starter motor will be able to used as a replacement starter for the crappy brushed motors that we have to put up with now. In talking with Udo from Jetcat Germany he even admits these were a very inferior product. Be clear I am talking just the starter motor and not the generator system.

Thanks
Alan

derrickxp8103 10-01-2015 08:06 AM

Cool, gonna try one

Quandry 10-01-2015 09:03 AM

Very ingenious! it's very exciting to see these tech developments - well done Jetcat for pushing the envelope.

Vincent 10-01-2015 10:08 AM

Is this motor roughly the same size can as the 180??

lxfly 10-01-2015 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent (Post 12107340)
Is this motor roughly the same size can as the 180??

5mm more in diameter and 24mm more in length (116.8/309 mm)

David Gladwin 10-01-2015 11:53 AM

3,900 euros.
I understand from Marcus that Powerbox will be making batteries just for this engine.
David G.

fifou313 10-01-2015 01:04 PM

What is the fuel sensor on the pics?

regards.

lxfly 10-01-2015 10:04 PM

@David:
As far as I understand, there are no special receiver batteries from Powerbox. Just that Powerbox has a battery system with integrated balancer and charger, you just have to connect a voltage from 10-17V (typically 12V) for charging.
The BMS is working only with batteries that offer this capability. You may use any battery, but you have to interconnect a small electronic that charges the receiver bat. I shell test such an electronic soon.
Catalogue: "As receiver battery , all types , which are equipped with an integrated charging electronics ( such as Batteries are the Fa . " Powerbox - Systems " ) .

@fifou313:
With P90-RXi Jetcat introduced this fuel sensor to check the fuel quality(bubbles) in the fuel system.
from catalogue translated by google: "As a novelty the JetCat RXi turbines continue to have an integrated so-called . " FuelSensor " which precisely recognizes bubbles or interruptions in the fuel .This information is the one for the fully automatic bleeding the fuel lines before a start , as well as to diagnosis of the quality of the fuel supply used . Even the finest air bubbles are registered . The ECU stores number and duration of possibly occurring air bubbles in the fuel supply .."

P.S.: All information is in the new catalogue(german): http://www.jetcat.de/downloads/jetcat-katalog_2015.pdf

Dave Wilshere 10-01-2015 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by David Gladwin (Post 12107392)
3,900 euros.
I understand from Marcus that Powerbox will be making batteries just for this engine.
David G.

3950 actually, but close enough :-)

Yes, all PB batteries will work and there will be a charge unit (using balancer lead) for other battery types

Dave

Vincent 10-02-2015 04:08 AM

What is the voltage coming out of the starter assembly??
Vin...

skymaster68 10-02-2015 05:16 AM

As soon as I saw this at the JP thread I sent an email to JC, asking if my P180 RX could be upgraded to RXI-B.... he said that it could and that early next year that will be available...

lxfly 10-02-2015 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent (Post 12107658)
What is the voltage coming out of the starter assembly??
Vin...

As the system is thought to charge the Ecu batterie (typically 3cell Life) voltage shouldn't be very much higher than you need to charge it.

Dave Wilshere 10-02-2015 06:24 AM

Yes, a Brushless upgrade is going to be offered.
Output is around 12v

mr_matt 10-30-2015 11:24 AM

Has anyone got one of these yet? Any reports? Is the residual (idle) thrust a little higher that a typical 200n class turbine?

Dave Wilshere 10-30-2015 11:59 AM

JetCat seem to have lower idle thrust figures than many others, so I don't see any less development on this one.

BlueBus320 12-05-2015 08:47 PM

This is incredible! I hope all goes without a hitch, I will be watching closely. it is chronologically lining up perfectly for my large SM Hawk. Go Jetcat for being the industry leader & doing what no other manufacturers seem to be accomplishing. Subscribed!
Jay

BlueBus320 12-06-2015 01:48 PM

Normally aren't lopos & life's stored at around 50% charge? Would always maintaining 100% greatly shorten the battery life?