RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Blast from the past!! Who still have BVM Sports Sharks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11623744-blast-past-who-still-have-bvm-sports-sharks.html)

Props4ever 11-17-2015 06:05 PM

Blast from the past!! Who still have BVM Sports Sharks

Would really like to see how many on here still have these in flying or stored condition.

Finally even though it's a vintage BVM jet but it's first from BVM for me and I'm planning on restoring mine back to its flying glory!

av8rk 11-18-2015 05:37 AM

bvm sport shark

Originally Posted by Props4ever (Post 12128642)
Would really like to see how many on here still have these in flying or stored condition.

Finally even though it's a vintage BVM jet but it's first from BVM for me and I'm planning on restoring mine back to its flying glory!

i have a sport shark i built in 1986....kbv 72.....18 flights on it......it is in excellent shape and in storage.....i moved on to the bvm sabres, vipers, and mavericks.....then into turbines.....never a problem with bvm products.....

richard

ravill 11-18-2015 10:01 AM

How about some pics?!!

Props4ever 11-18-2015 07:02 PM

7 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ravill (Post 12128913)
How about some pics?!!

There you have them...this is where restoration will begin and another new life will be given to this beautiful model...

FalconWings 11-19-2015 04:40 AM

It's incredible to see how since the very early days BVM's structural design is just unmatched.

RCISFUN 11-19-2015 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow... a Bell Crank in a Jet.... ;)http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2131448

jsnipes 11-19-2015 10:48 AM

My buddy has one converted to EVF ... flies great. JS

ron Sweeney 11-19-2015 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Props4ever (Post 12128642)

I can't claim a sport shark but I do have a couple of Mavericks, both turbine powered I'm afraid but I also fly a JMP Starfire d/f and have a second half built, Ron.

Props4ever 11-19-2015 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by RCISFUN (Post 12129446)

I suppose Bell cranks were 'The most advance' method back then and Jets couldn't escape from them.....lol

Props4ever 11-19-2015 02:57 PM

Your thoughts please

How should I power this model, turbine or EDF.
If turbine then what should I do in terms of structural reinforcements and where inside the fuselage. Does anyone know where I can get stainless steel jet pipe for it....

LJE4357 11-19-2015 04:33 PM

I still have a BVM A-4 kit. I got it from Bob in 1979 while he was still a pilot for Eastern. He later sold the tooling to Larry at JHH. I plan on finally getting around to building it within the next year. I have everything to build it, except I got rid of the Scozzi/Turbax fan.

Art ARRO 11-19-2015 11:55 PM

Props4ever,
A good question of powering an older BVM Sport Shark/Aggressor I. Note that the fuselage is physically smaller/narrower than the later Maverick/ Ultra Viper/Aggressor II/III. There's very little space for batteries, if EDF or fuel if turbine powered. I would recommend a 90 or 100 MM fan and distribute the batteries wherever there's room. Note that the Magnalite wing structure consists of root and tip ribs and multiple spanwise spars forming the airfoil. There's not much structure for any abuse due to hard landings, etc. I built one of the early Aggressors and had the wing literally explode on a cruising pass of the 7th flight. I previously had a slightly bouncy landing at a jet event in Canada-Bay of Quinte/Belleville. The wing sustained internal damage which could not be seen or accessed for repair. I sent the pieces back to BV and purchased a Maverick which I converted to a Pro. I still have the original Sport Shark/Aggressor I fuselage and tail which will be mated to a foam wing Aggressor II. This "Frankenstein" Aggressor will be powered by a Viojet fan and a KBV 72 or 82 glow engine.
Jet Tech, in Wisconsin or Tam Jets in Calif. can probably fabricate a stainless steel jet pipe for your Sport Shark- just Goggle them for contact info. Good luck.
Rgds,
Art ARRO

Art ARRO 11-20-2015 09:52 AM

Rich,
Bellcranks were the norm for jets back in the day. They work just fine if you thread the pivot for a 10-32 bolt and use an aluminum bolt for the bearing. Also, note that 30 oz/in torque analog servos, cored motors, no bearings and plastic gears were used for most flight controls. Consider that many of BV's glow DF jets routinely broke the 200 MPH barrier. I recall a top speed of 234 MPH as measured by an optical speed trap. However, these runs started from a near-vertical dive out of the ozone layer with a precise pullout upon entering the trap. These were truly blasts from the past!
Rgds,
Art ARRO

Props4ever 11-20-2015 06:01 PM

Hello Art

Welcome onboard!. This is my very first BV model and I have no clue about other Jets of similar types like Aggressors/Mavericks to know the differences myself. I'm learning about these as I go along. As you suggested to go with 90mm to 100mm edf setup during to the lack of space inside it's fuselage, same has been suggested to me on RCG. Therefore I'm currently on lot out for Jetfan 90 with HET 700-68 1400Kv motor combo for it. As you mentioned how light are the wings of these is truly amazing!. My main reason of getting this jet was to see and learn how BV designed these "Microlight" wings and if I could use this design technique to build wings of my giant 1/12 Concorde model!. I will add CF tow as rib cap strip in the wing of Concorde and then will sheet them with balsa sheeting or fiberglass skins I made for it or combo of both.

Art what retracts and struts would you recommend for this Sports Shark jet, I would like to get eflite 60-120sz 90 degree tri-retract set for it.

Sam

Art ARRO 11-22-2015 03:42 AM

Sam,
Your first step in converting this older Sport Shark to EDF, Jetfan 90, would be to mate the inlets to the fan shroud. Do this before wrapping the inlets with CF tow. Note that the original inlets were designed to mate to a Viofan which is 117 MM diameter. As an alternate you can leave the inlets stock but cut them short of the fan face to allow an open inlet design with a rounded lip on the fan shroud. If cost was no object I would suggest fitting a BVM E-Fan to the model which will be a "drop in" fit.
Ensure that you have space inside the fuselage for the required batteries. Get the suggested battery sizes and make up some mockups from foam for your fit locations. The carry through wing spars and mounting brackets take up a lot of space in the lower fuselage.
I used B&D retracts in my Aggressor I and Maverick with success although Spring Airs would work fine also. There's not much room in the wings for any larger retracts (Robarts) especially with the CF plates and the thinness of the wings. Some electric retracts may fit also but make sure that can handle a 10-12 lb model.
You're going to have "fun" installing the all radio gear through the nose wheel hatch. Some guys have made the canopy removable as a secondary hatch. Good luck again and don't be shy on asking questions. Others may chime in here also.
Rgds,
Art

Jetset 11-22-2015 07:55 AM

Hey, I know that plane :)

dbsonic 11-22-2015 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Art ARRO (Post 12130632)
Some guys have made the canopy removable as a secondary hatch..

+1.