RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   TBM DV8R 83" Wingspan ? boomerang sprint ect help needed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11624040-tbm-dv8r-83-wingspan-boomerang-sprint-ect-help-needed.html)

emilsanto 11-26-2015 10:32 PM

TBM DV8R 83" Wingspan ? boomerang sprint ect help needed

Hello
I am thinking of jetting into a turbine jet. there is a club close by that fly's jets a lot.
I have been flying for over 15 years. mostly 3d planes 50cc+.

I have seen a few cheaper models on the web. a Super Falcon V3. not sure about the quality
being its only 629.00 with retracts.? . the boomerang sprint model. about 900.00 and the
JSM Xcalibur sport. 850-900 also. I have been looking at the TBM DV8R 83" Wingspan
because of its size appeals to me but I heard from someone that there hard to land or bounce a lot.?
does anyone have one of these and can you share your setups with me. I would be grateful .

or if you think the others are a better flying plane or better quality. please let me know you thought
thank you

Dave Wilshere 11-26-2015 11:52 PM

They all have merits. Deciding what turbine size you want and whether this will be moved on to another airframe is a good way of choosing. Airframes like the std Xcalibur are limited in turbine size.
The Super Falcon will need some modelling skills to get reliable, but you have been around a while so should be able to cope with that with advice from the locals. Also before choosing a turbine talk with them, see what they use. If they have no trouble its a good measure of the equipment-also they will know how to sort the little issues that can occur when operating a complicated turbine model.

The loadings on a turbine model are way different to your 50cc aerobat which "float" on to the ground, jets don't really and those people that generally bounce models have thumbs that have not experienced a variation of models. Ever flown war birds with retracts and flaps? Its more like that.

Best advice is to go and meet the local guys and see what they recommend.
Me, I bias and think the Xcalibur is unbeatable. If you like big, get a Plus and you will then have a turbine that is future proof too

Dave

RAPPTOR 11-27-2015 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
turbinator

Bob_B 11-27-2015 05:30 AM

Your talking about the night hawks field you need to talk with Jim Hiller before you buy anything.

j.duncker 11-27-2015 05:54 AM

Hard to go wrong with a Boomerang.

Len Todd 11-27-2015 08:11 AM

I started flying jets about 2 years ago. For a first jet, I was told by many folks to do a Boomerang Sprint. I did buy a Sprint and put in a P-90rxi. I can tell you after two years with the Sprint that I still love it. Not so sure about the P-90 though. Seems like I am still beta testing for the factory with the two that I have. But the service from the USA repair shop has been very supportive and timely.

For a Sprint I like the a turbine with about 24 lbs thrust. With a little extra power, the Sprint is highly acrobatic. Not so with some of the other models mentioned.

I just bought a second Sprint. The new Boomerang sales folks are excellent and the new Sprint has been reworked to correct all of the problems that were in the first couple renditions. I would try Dreamworksrc. They have the Prolink kit for gear and brakes, etc. They also give a good discount if you get the entire package from them. However, I would avoid the brake valve they offer and go with a UP-6 or something that is proven to give low air use proportional braking. You may also want to consider Electric retracts as it cuts down on some of the setup.

If you were closer, and we had some good weather, I'd invite you up and we could buddy-box you some jet time.

emilsanto 11-27-2015 08:51 AM

yes the night hawks
I do know Jim I have know him for over 15 years,.
most of the jets I see out there are high dollar scale jets right know I am looking just to get started with
a balsa jet. I haven't seen many out there except a few jeff minotti has. just thinking I can get some advise from across the county posting here.

emilsanto 11-27-2015 08:52 AM

also are the any other good forums that I can check out. seem like this is the only one I can find
thanks

emilsanto 11-27-2015 08:55 AM

are there issues with the p90 jetcat engines.?
I was thinking I need to get a turbine in the 80 to 100n class.
I thought about a used one but I really don't know what to look for and are the warranty's transferrable.?
what is the usual. rebuild checkup costs

ira d 11-27-2015 09:22 AM

Super falcon is very difficult to break down for transport compared to the Boomerang, The DV8R can be difficult to land as it likes to bounce, IMO go with the Boomer or Xcalibur.

Kim Couturier 11-27-2015 12:38 PM

Do Not get the DV8R. Bounce on landing is a hassle, and fixing broken landing gear blocks a pain. The boomerang is a great kit. I didn't like the looks of the sprint, but bought one anyway! 100+ flights later, it still was one of the best flying jets I've owned. I have 2 Elans now. I have modified mine and add tail cone/ exhaust pipes on mine. Looks way better than stock. (?if you go to Larrys website, he's got pictures). Engine wise, I would recommend a kingtech K-100 G. Bullet proof, easy set up, and run great! Turbinator is another good choice. Hope this helps!

Kim Couturier 11-27-2015 12:51 PM

Last thought..if you like the size of the DV8R, get an Élan. I've flown all of the boomers except the Nano, and I can tell you from experience, the Élan is the best of the bunch! It will do anything you ask it to. I fly mine on kingtech K-140G, and it's a rocket, but their new K -120 G would be a better choice. 27 lbs of thrust, and lighter.....

emilsanto 11-27-2015 01:35 PM

thanks for the advise.
do you have a link to larrys web site showing the added tail cone.? also have you personally seen any of the dv8r.s is it a confirmed landing issue.pr setup

thanks again

Dave Wilshere 11-27-2015 01:55 PM

Nothing wrong with the P-90Rxi, but you do need the latest software with the pump "boost"

Mike06659 11-27-2015 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Emilsanto,

We have had all of these jets at our club and I personally fly the DV8R. The plane is huge and has an awesome presents in the air. It is easy to fly but your info on the landing is correct. There is def some design flaws in the location of the landing gear on this jet. Some days I go out and grease every landing and other days it looks like its my first time landing a jet. The key is to get your speed way down coming in for a landing. The huge wing just wants to keep flying. There are a ton of tips and tricks in the forums that you can review to get a decent landing.
With that said, I had a Reaction 54 before that and every aspect of the flight envelope was fantastic with that jet. Not one bad habit and it was faster then the DV8R. With the options you listed above I would probably have to go with the Navy Cat/ Super FalconV3 after seeing everything fly and if I was starting back out. My buddy flies his Navy Cat all day long. It can be extremely slow and extremely fast!! It seems to be the perfect size and you cannot beat the price but the DV8R looks awesome in the air :)
You will be fine with any of those choices you have listed it just depends on your preferences.
Let me know if your still interested in a DV8R. I might have one for sale:) I've been thinking about another project down the road :)
Mike http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2132812

vinnyjet 11-27-2015 04:40 PM

I second everything mike says
vinny

Kim Couturier 11-27-2015 05:13 PM

Go to boomerang_rc_jets .com or look at his Facebook page with the same name.....

emilsanto 11-27-2015 05:17 PM

nice looking dv8r mike what are you running in it./setup

you are right about the planes presence in the air. I guess that's why I ask about it first.
if you are considering selling it send me a pm on what your thinking. I may consider it.
it is one of the planes on my list. now I need to find a good brand of engine. just so many out there
kingcats jetcats ect.

Mike06659 11-28-2015 05:02 AM

Thanks guys!
Believe it or not when I first got my DV8R I flew it with a JectCat P-70 and it flew fine. I then went to the P-120 and it really only made a pretty good difference on take off and vertical. I'll shoot you a PM if I decide to sell it. You almost hate to sell a good flying bird :)
Mike

Dblex 11-28-2015 06:52 AM

Turbinator hands down! It's a 50cc with a turbine!!!

Mike06659 11-28-2015 07:16 AM

Yeah... I like the Turbinator as well. It always reminds me of the 50s 60s jet era and it's now back as an arf!

Kim Couturier 11-28-2015 09:20 AM

I owned a DV8R, got my waiver with it. Took me a long time, though,mot figure out how to keep it from bouncing on landings....not a problem I would wish on a new turbine pilot. Having said that, it flew well, and did have a presence I the air....

Boomerang1 11-28-2015 12:35 PM

I still have my version of a DV8R (scratch built, scaled down for a Wren turbine) & it took me a while
to learn to slow it WAY down for landing. Nearly 10 years old now & still going great.

I have been teaching a friend to fly turbines at our club using an Xcalibur with a Jets Munts 80 engine.
I cannot imagine a better first turbine model, we had many dead stick landings sorting a fuel problem
(eventually traced to a leaking CAT header tank) and the model handled being a glider with no drama
whatsoever. In OZ they are around half the price as a Boomerang Sprint despite having a fibreglass
fuselage like the even more expensive Boomerang Elan. No wonder they are popular!

One more thing, jets fly a lot different to 3D models, will you become bored with jets?

John.

LASHMETT75 11-28-2015 12:46 PM

Dude that is pretty sick. Did you paint it?? I just got mine ( Miss America ) and I know i will want a different scheme shortly. Was thinking about an digital graphics

Wonder is anyone will ever do covering in it??

James

LASHMETT75 11-28-2015 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RAPPTOR (Post 12133046)
turbinator

Nice!!!