RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Wishing for a P70 sized sport jet that looks good, I can't be the only one..... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11630211-wishing-p70-sized-sport-jet-looks-good-i-cant-only-one.html)

LGM Graphix 06-13-2016 08:55 AM

Wishing for a P70 sized sport jet that looks good, I can't be the only one.....
 
Seriously, back in the day of the ducted fan jets looked like jets, and there were kits available. We had Vipers, Aggressors, Mavericks, Starfires, Cyclones, Panthere etc etc etc. Then came Bandits and Razor's.

Where are the sport jets today that look like jets. I know, somebody will say Flash or Ultra Flash. Well, first of all, they aren't sparkling performance with a P70 and frankly, I think the Flash is a horrible looking jet personally. Secondly, I don't a $3000 ARF for an economy jet.

Not that the kits back in the day were cheap, but today an ARF costs as much as a high end ducted fan back in the day completely outfitted does.

Yes, I just looked at the "Fortune" thread, but again, it's fugly IMO, I never bothered to even look at the size honestly.

I never owned a BVM Ducted fan, or really many ducted fans at all as they were on the way out when I started into jets, but I still remember staring at the original Viper's and dreaming. The Starfire was cool too outside of inlets that looked huge but you couldn't argue the performance.

I wish that somebody would focus more on the smaller (but not micro) sized jets. My bobcat is ok, it flies well, always works, but it's still a twin boomed airplane that just doesn't scream sexy.

Everything today seems to be being designed either huge, or with these big pregnant dolphin fuselage's. It seems to be headed to one extreme or the other, either huge or very small. Is there no market for a P70 sized nice sport jet anymore or is it that there is no market because nobody is manufacturing one? Even in the scale realm there is little in that size anymore. I have big stuff, but reality is it's a pain for me to go fly it regularly.

I can't be the only one that misses those 80's era designs can I?

why_fly_high 06-13-2016 09:48 AM

Agreed. There are a lot of nice 60-80 size engines out there but not much sleek and sexy out there. The only option I could find is the JTM XXX.

patrnflyr 06-13-2016 10:04 AM

What about the new dedicated for small turbine F-16 from GJC? Sure, it's a foamy but very tough foam and made for a 60 sized turbine. "Foam is the new balsa" or so I've been told.

http://www.globaljetclub.com/BNF-PNP...boFoam-Jet-BNF

Henke Torphammar 06-13-2016 10:11 AM


Originally Posted by LGM Graphix (Post 12223959)
I can't be the only one that misses those 80's era designs can I?

Some new designs are horrible but as for engines the current future are awesome as you virtually get P70 power from a sub 1lb engine. Or vise versa 120N from a P70 sized engine. You need to shoe horn the P70 in a small enough airframe if you want performance from that old lump :D

Vettster 06-13-2016 05:56 PM

Jeremy.. Grab some blue foam.. Stick it all together and shape your own. If it looks good enough and the price is low enough.. you can sell more than 3 and recoup your expenses.

FYI.. To bad you dont like the T-1 cause its all Comp and comes with gear for $1800!! but!! it is a 100-160 size at 1.9m

LGM Graphix 06-13-2016 06:26 PM


Originally Posted by Henke Torphammar (Post 12223987)
Some new designs are horrible but as for engines the current future are awesome as you virtually get P70 power from a sub 1lb engine. Or vise versa 120N from a P70 sized engine. You need to shoe horn the P70 in a small enough airframe if you want performance from that old lump :D

A P70 fits in the old 5" ducted fan airframes easier than a dynamax does. There are a lot of those old engines out there that are still good and can be had inexpensively. The AMT Mercury even fit pretty easy into those old DF airframes. I can't justify the cost of the kolibri's or P20's etc for what they are. I love my big engines, but I love that my P70 is inexpensive to run too.

LGM Graphix 06-13-2016 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by Vettster (Post 12224123)
Jeremy.. Grab some blue foam.. Stick it all together and shape your own. If it looks good enough and the price is low enough.. you can sell more than 3 and recoup your expenses.

FYI.. To bad you dont like the T-1 cause its all Comp and comes with gear for $1800!! but!! it is a 100-160 size at 1.9m



See, I like building still. My DL Aeromodels Cyclone cost me under $1000Canadian by the time I had kit, gear, and painted. Sure that doesn't include a tailpipe or fuel tanks for turbine, but it's still half the cost of even the T1. It was a great flying airplane. I lost it from engine problems but that kit, the Y/A kits, even the JHH kits were all very affordable. The BVM stuff was expensive but it worked. I get that the average modeler doesn't want to build anymore, but it would be nice if some of the ARF stuff was available as a kit for those of us who enjoy building, don't want the same color scheme's, and make it significantly less money. I'd like to say I'm not cheap, but reality is, I just don't want more $7000+ rtf airplanes anymore.

josecilurzo 06-14-2016 01:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Our small class jet for fly end of day to relax is an Bobcat xl pushed by P70, we paid only 1.5k on jet setted!!!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2167853

G4guy 06-14-2016 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a lot of work, but I designed and build my own sport Jetshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2167948,
Ply, balsa, foam and glass. This is number 5.
The design can be any scale, the Tsunami, has 72" wingspan.
They all have flown well and will not break the bank
Ron

why_fly_high 06-14-2016 06:41 AM

G4guy,

You have the best looking tubeless jets around. I would love to build something like that for my K45.

rhklenke 06-14-2016 06:59 AM


Originally Posted by G4guy (Post 12224245)
It's a lot of work, but I designed and build my own sport Jetshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2167948,
Ply, balsa, foam and glass. This is number 5.
The design can be any scale, the Tsunami, has 72" wingspan.
They all have flown well and will not break the bank
Ron

Ron,

That is super slick! You should kit that airplane, or work with someone to do it. I'm a builder, but not a designer - I'd like to have one, but the designing part is out of my wheelhouse for sure.

Bob

Jetset 06-14-2016 07:17 AM


Originally Posted by LGM Graphix (Post 12223959)

I can't be the only one that misses those 80's era designs can I?


You took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!! I too, miss those planes. This is exactly what I have been looking for since I am starting to get back into the swing again. I cannot find a nice, sleek looking sport jet around in this size! Everything looks like a whale, or is way to big for what i want. I just mentioned on RCC how I should have kept my Sport Shark and converted it.
I just cannot find anything that suits me in this size. I'm pretty sure there's lots of pilots who feel the same.

Jetset 06-14-2016 07:19 AM

Ron, that is one sweet plane. Reminds me of the Cyclone :D

mikedenilin 06-14-2016 08:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2167956http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2167957http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2167959http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2167960

This is the Super Viper with Ace 60 turbine.

More info on this page ,

http://www.globaljetclub.com/BNF-PNP-AND-TURNKEY

Just plug in a receiver, Rx batteries, and ECU battery then you are ready to fly in 1 to 2 hours out of the box.

We flew this and F16 at the First in Flight. Just charge battery and fuel it up and go.

If you have spare 60 engines, laying around you can just buy the airframe and plug in the engine.

$1395, comes with servos, landing gear, electric brakes, retracts, fuel tanks, exhaust pipe, navigation lights, voltage regulators, UAT, 48oz fuel tank,

With an Ace 60 engine, it goes for $2795.00 out of door.

I think it's a quickest way to get yourself airborne.

Mike

Jetset 06-14-2016 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If that Viper had this shape, Id be all over it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2167967

Greg Wright 06-14-2016 12:03 PM

The Bandit ARF MKII is a great plane for a p-70.

It's lighter than the older MKI and with the inner geardoors on the mains its a much cleaner airframe.

The p-70 would push it along at a really nice speed too..

RCISFUN 06-14-2016 12:52 PM


Originally Posted by rhklenke (Post 12224292)
Ron,

That is super slick! You should kit that airplane, or work with someone to do it. I'm a builder, but not a designer - I'd like to have one, but the designing part is out of my wheelhouse for sure.

Bob

Bob I have been trying to get a set of plans from Ron for some time!

I really like his design!

Ron... hint... hint!

Jetset 06-14-2016 02:36 PM

Bandit MK2..Go fly price of $4735-$5235.......this is the part that tuns me away. :(
It would be nice to find an Aggressor/Bandit style "kit". Fiberglass, fuse, foam core wings you sheet yourself...etc, etc.

Jetmodeler 06-14-2016 02:48 PM

I found there are still a lot of models available for 18-24 thrust turbines, both my Der Jet Vampire and my JTM 1.7M Viper are flying on a JC Rabbit, nice power and good looking models. The P70 fits these size models well. The Viper is a good aerobatic sport model, and of course the Vampire is a sweet scale model. Look at some of this older models, they are out there.

Vettster 06-14-2016 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jetset (Post 12224304)
You took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!! I too, miss those planes. This is exactly what I have been looking for since I am starting to get back into the swing again. I cannot find a nice, sleek looking sport jet around in this size! Everything looks like a whale, or is way to big for what i want. I just mentioned on RCC how I should have kept my Sport Shark and converted it.
I just cannot find anything that suits me in this size. I'm pretty sure there's lots of pilots who feel the same.

We should open a thread in RCCanucks.com There is currently FOUR scratch builders creating jets over there now. My self included with my WetJet. It will be a 70-120 bird or electric prop version. Built for water,snow and grass. Saves you hundreds on landing gear.

Jetset 06-14-2016 03:03 PM

The Panthere was one plane I always wanted.

LGM Graphix 06-14-2016 03:23 PM

That super viper might be priced nice but IMO it is FUUUUUGLY. The bandit arfs are fine but they aren't cost effective by any means nor are they kits. There used to be kits that even with a set of spring air or rhom air retracts were below $1000. I hear the bandit arf is a better jet than the super bandit but I hated my super bandit (I know, I'm an anomaly) so even if the bandit arf was priced better I would really hesitate buying one.
The F16 is cute but I have zero interest in foam airplanes much less foam airplanes that are over a grand.

Jetset 06-14-2016 03:31 PM

Once again-my thoughts exactly.
If they'd make an Aggressor style plane, Id be all over it. The whale look, I just do not like.


Originally Posted by LGM Graphix (Post 12224503)
That super viper might be priced nice but IMO it is FUUUUUGLY. The bandit arfs are fine but they aren't cost effective by any means nor are they kits. There used to be kits that even with a set of spring air or rhom air retracts were below $1000. I hear the bandit arf is a better jet than the super bandit but I hated my super bandit (I know, I'm an anomaly) so even if the bandit arf was priced better I would really hesitate buying one.
The F16 is cute but I have zero interest in foam airplanes much less foam airplanes that are over a grand.


afterburner 06-14-2016 06:01 PM

While at First in Flight last month and watching sport jet after sport jet roll back and forth down the taxiway, we just started calling them fishjets;). Was just easier than trying to differentiate them from each other.

dw_crash 06-14-2016 06:17 PM

times are a changing
 
Yep....where are the smaller jets? Everything, today, is for 120 to 200+ size turbines. I have six 60 - 70 size turbines and a couple of 80s. Airframes for these are few and far between. Old Tamjets F-16 or a Falcon 120. Sure would be nice to see a few smaller jets out there to chose from. Guess the world has moved on since I started my first turbine.

dw_crash


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.