RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Fuel-Soaked Electronics Post Crash? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11630795-fuel-soaked-electronics-post-crash.html)

Shaun Evans 07-05-2016 08:49 AM

Fuel-Soaked Electronics Post Crash?

Hey, Guys

What's everyone's SOP for dealing with fuel-soaked electronics (servos, ECU, rx) after a crash? Brand new 12-ch Powersafe and all satellites were soaked (but still on and lit up when the wreckage was found). K-80 got banged up pretty good, too :(

ChuckC 07-05-2016 09:26 AM

Open them up (probably not servos, though; they are pretty "liquid resistant", good electronics cleaner, like LPS I think? - spray clean and let dry, wiping wherever possible with a lint-free cloth. Need to get the turbine oil off - the usual soak it n a bag of uncooked rice thing won't work here.

Good luck - this isn't ever filled with confidence.

rhklenke 07-05-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun Evans (Post 12231323)
Hey, Guys

What's everyone's SOP for dealing with fuel-soaked electronics (servos, ECU, rx) after a crash? Brand new 12-ch Powersafe and all satellites were soaked (but still on and lit up when the wreckage was found). K-80 got banged up pretty good, too :(

Shaun,

I would disassemble them and clean thoroughly with Denatured Alcohol or use an ultrasonic cleaner for electronics if you have access to one. Then let them dry out completely, reassemble, and give them a reliability test of an hour or so. If they are working at that point, they should be good to go again.

Bob

Ceeray 07-05-2016 10:43 AM

I got my iGyro3e soaked in crash. Gave it a good dose of electric cleaner but I have not tried to fire it up and I think I will not have guts to try it out without sending it in for checking to Powerbox. Would be quite a feeling to crash a plane due bad gyro..

jetmaven 07-05-2016 02:16 PM

1-Dump all , especially the satellites .
2-replace all with system not requiring satellites .

dbsonic 07-05-2016 03:06 PM

Clean with alcohol as said here. Some of the chips are wire bond which may not fair well under high impact loads. Especially the cheaper ICs (intentional since its less cost that the other high perf package technologies which would be overkill). So for reuse you must also tap and check for any issues/glitches etc. This can also help expose board problems if say a trace is broken.

Me, I wouldn't use them again in a jet. Maybe okay in a small sport plane though.

racer8297 07-05-2016 04:29 PM

Shaun,

Unfortunately, I've had a few crashes. I send all the electronics back to Horizon and have them clean up what they can and replace what they can't.

Now I'm using Jeti radio equipment and still use JR servos. The Jeti stuff would go to Esprit and the JR back to JR.

What other have said here sounds all fine to me, but, for piece of mind, I'd send it back.

Jim

AndyAndrews 07-05-2016 07:28 PM

Use if for foamies. It's not worth losing a jet over a few hundred dollars of electronics.

sailing1 07-06-2016 06:59 AM

+1

Jeti USA 07-06-2016 08:10 AM

Recycle, the fuel can be pretty corrosive to electronics. It's bad mainly in high humidity environments. Jeti offers 50% replacement warranty, maybe HH has something as well.

What happened? Any telemetry data left?

Zb/Jeti USA

paulhat 07-06-2016 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews (Post 12231550)
Use if for foamies. It's not worth losing a jet over a few hundred dollars of electronics.

+1

Springbok Flyer 07-06-2016 08:15 PM

Throw it all in the trash ......