RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   jet flys with one wing-video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11632756-jet-flys-one-wing-video.html)

hmjets 09-21-2016 01:32 PM

jet flys with one wing-video

Great skill and amazing emergency landing
may be a gyro helped to fly the plane??
At jet power 2016.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxcB3PSduwY

erh7771 09-21-2016 02:48 PM

Which jet is this?

tia

roger.alli 09-21-2016 02:53 PM

And what happened to the wing?? Was it a midair??
You are correct. Amazing skill to keep it under some sort of control.

hmjets 09-22-2016 08:48 AM

http://www.wizards.de/~frank/images/...luegel_weg.jpg

JohnMac 09-25-2016 02:55 AM

Whilst you are aplauding the obvious pilot skill, I would just point out that this barely controlled model was flying directly towards the crowd (including me) and landed about 20 metres from flight attendants at the other side of the runways. The pilot has a duty of care at all times, towards those around him. Clearly this guy had more ego than brains. He had acres of grass to safetly dump the model in and probably with less damage too.
John

Jgwright 09-25-2016 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by JohnMac (Post 12261305)
Whilst you are aplauding the obvious pilot skill, I would just point out that this barely controlled model was flying directly towards the crowd (including me) and landed about 20 metres from flight attendants at the other side of the runways. The pilot has a duty of care at all times, towards those around him. Clearly this guy had more ego than brains. He had acres of grass to safetly dump the model in and probably with less damage too.
John

John

I was not there, was this one a number of similar planes being flown and did the organisers ground the others following the wing failure?

John

Henke Torphammar 09-25-2016 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jgwright (Post 12261307)
did the organisers ground the others following the wing failure?

John

Yes they did. They were very clear that landing a plane like that is NOT acceptable. (in German on saturday morning)

JohnMac 09-25-2016 05:13 AM

I cannnot remember seeing that type fly again after that.

roger.alli 09-25-2016 03:51 PM

John

Good point!!; which was not immediately obvious to me on watching the video..

Carsten Groen 09-26-2016 10:12 AM

John

+1 !!

David Gladwin 09-27-2016 04:37 AM

John

John, I absolutely agree. For some time I have been advocating UK jet fliers to fly at a reasonable distance from ALL persons, pilots, spotters, whoever. I argue that the minimum distance should be the CAA advisory distance of 50 meters at ALL events.

After Shoreham the CAA has considerably increased fly-past distances at full size air shows, but that is AFTER the disaster. I strongly advocate looking after our own safety BEFORE we spoil our safety record. If we don't we might not like what we are forced to do by regulation.

We have had our warnings, the Gripen break up, this Avanti. (or whatever it was), a canopy separating from a big Hawk, which could have taken the fin off, my near disastrous fin failure with my big Hawk, mid air collisions to name few. We need to learn from these. Keeping a safe distance is a start !

....and if anyone should doubt that things can go horribly wrong, even in the best regulated and managed organisations, be advised that Martin-Baker, the world leader in ejection seats, and who have saved 7,500 lives including mine, are being prosecuted by the HSE after the Red Arrows. uncommanded seat firing and death 5 years ago. That deeply saddens me.

David.